Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-23-2004   #41
Ediddy73
Veteran

Gottcha. how silly of me to think it was about Wand in a thread about Wand... :hehe:
Ediddy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #42
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

USATODAY story on current status of Texans' OL
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...exans/home.htm
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #43
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

From the USA today article,

"Medical Watch: None"

Why no mention of Seth Payne?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #44
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I'm happy with the move. I feel all our other O-line spots are as strong as they have ever been in the first 2 years. our depth is good. having 1 question mark at O-line isn't that bad. and that this point its just that a question mark, everyone else is proven talent.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #45
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I'm happy with the move. I feel all our other O-line spots are as strong as they have ever been in the first 2 years. our depth is good. having 1 question mark at O-line isn't that bad. and that this point its just that a question mark, everyone else is proven talent.
Yeah, having only one question mark feels like a good thing after the past two seasons. It's like a luxury or something.
Old 07-12-2004   #46
pv1999
Veteran

The new blocking scheme is so simple that Dexter Manley could understand it. Premier Oline players have Good Vision and Good Feet, I don't think it will be too much of a problem for our guys because they both move really well and they will get to see more as the season goes on.
Old 07-15-2004   #47
Mischief
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mischief Send a message via Yahoo to Mischief

I think it's a great idea. Pitts is improving... but now if we could just do something about that little false start problem? :hehe: wasn't it Pitts that seemed to get a little to excited before the play?
Old 07-15-2004   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief
I think it's a great idea. Pitts is improving... but now if we could just do something about that little false start problem? :hehe: wasn't it Pitts that seemed to get a little to excited before the play?
Yes Pitts had problems with penalties, both false start and holding. If Wand sticks at LT expect those problems to shift from Pitts to Wand. Pitts would get jumpy especially facing speed rushers and he openly admitted last year that he prefered the occassional hold to letting Carr get whacked. Playing LG should greatly reduce the amount of time Pitts faces speed rushers and takes away the open outside edge. Wand on the other hand will almost certainly get ansy at times--hopefully his wingspan and footwork will help him play without as many holds though.
Old 07-15-2004   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

One very important note about Pitts is that we have always had to help the Right Tackle quite a bit due to our lack of talent there. Whenever we needed an extra blocker it was usually on that side. In addition, Pitts has never really had any mature talent beside him at LG. Washington is the closest player we had on our roster that played fairly decent but if you watch some old games you will notice how slow his feet are and how poor he plays in space.

Little or no help on the edge plus an inferior player beside him at Guard exacerbated his problems. Wand will get more help on the edge and have a solid player with good feet and a heck of a drive blocker next to him in Pitts. We will not have to help RT nearly as much as we have in the past due to the excellent FA signing of gargantuan RT Todd Wade. These factors should help Wand's development in ways we could not afford with Pitts.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #50
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I look for Wand to have a kind of up and down year as he gets his feet wet in the NFL at LT. By next year I suspect he will start to show the true ability he has. If he is struggling too much in say the first 2-3 games, look for Pits to move back out, but I really doubt that will be the case.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #51
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by __V__
...We will not have to help RT nearly as much as we have in the past due to the excellent FA signing of gargantuan RT Todd Wade. These factors should help Wand's development in ways we could not afford with Pitts.
That's a good point that the critics of Wade's contract failed to catch on to. With Wade at RT, a ripple effect is created down the line which invariably improves each position and allows experimentation with a young player like Wand at LT. Maybe a $30 million contract for a RT, even a very good RT, doesn't make sense for most teams. But for the Texans, that contract carries added value and is justified.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #52
SESupergenius

Quote:
Pitts has never really had any mature talent beside him at LG
If Pitts has never really had any mature talent beside him and is moving to LG, then Wand won't have any mature talent to help him either. Is that not a correct assumption or did Pitts become mature on his own during the last 2 years? How much does the extra blocker argument on the right side hold water? I may be way wrong on this but to me the lining up on the right side is just fashion of the playcalling, not to specifically place player X there to help the tackle.
Old 07-15-2004   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Pitts is much more talented that Weary, Brown, Schau or Washington. Pitts has 32 NFL starts and has matured greatly in the NFL. Simple point, not too complex and something I feel strongly about. When we used chip blocks they were generally to support Young or Randall. If we had to support one Tackle with an extra blocker it was generally the less talented RT. Go look at the games. Its there.

Old 07-15-2004   #54
SESupergenius

Well to put it into perspective, Pitts has 32 starts for an expansion team and is now being moved to LG. You've got the left side of the line with guys that have less than 3 years experience. If you say that Pitts is going to teach Wand a lot then fine, but I think that learning a year on the sidelines with coaches helps more for his development than learning from 2 yr Pitts.

I've seen Wand line up at the TE spot many times, I'm just not sure it was to specifically help the RT. With Joppru out and our option at TE is Miller, I thought that bringing in Wand was because Miller was not a great blocker. I may be wrong, why so hostile?
Old 07-15-2004   #55
done88
Veteran

Wand has had his year on the sidelines with the coaches. Pitts has proven he is an outstanding lineman. The question is how does Wand stand up to the guards. If wand and Pitts at guard and tackle are better then Pitts and who ever else at tackle and guard then it does not matter how much experience they have.
Old 07-15-2004   #56
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I can see it now:
3rd and 5. Texans convert. Hold on there is a flag on the play, holding on #78 and thats a 10 yard penalty. Then we run Draw play on 3rd and 15, and dont convert and the cry starts:
"Move Pitts back to LT, bench Wand and fire Palmer!!!!!"

I wish this season would start

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Well to put it into perspective, Pitts has 32 starts for an expansion team and is now being moved to LG. You've got the left side of the line with guys that have less than 3 years experience. If you say that Pitts is going to teach Wand a lot then fine, but I think that learning a year on the sidelines with coaches helps more for his development than learning from 2 yr Pitts.

I've seen Wand line up at the TE spot many times, I'm just not sure it was to specifically help the RT. With Joppru out and our option at TE is Miller, I thought that bringing in Wand was because Miller was not a great blocker. I may be wrong, why so hostile?
Show me hostility. I see none.

I'm not talking about Pitts teaching anyone anything either. I'm just stating that he will be more stable at LG than the revolving door he had next to him when he was LT.

Old 07-15-2004   #58
SESupergenius

I guess he'll be more stable at LG with a rookie LT next to him.
Old 07-15-2004   #59
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I've seen Wand line up at the TE spot many times, I'm just not sure it was to specifically help the RT.
Not always. But when the Texans were in max protection, Wand would lineup next to Randall at times. Remember the play where Carr’s ankle was injured in the Colt’s game in Indy? The Texans were in max protect on that play and Wand mistakenly shifted in the wrong direction, essentially blocking Randall and allowing the Colt DE penetration.

The concern on the left side of the line is about experience. Neither Wand nor Pitts have started at their current positions in the NFL. Although everyone has felt that Pitts is a natural guard, he’s never played the position and he’ll have to pick up on the nuances there as well. The good news is that Wand & Pitts won’t face any top pass rusher early in the season (off course there’s always the blitz). By the time the Texans run into the meat of their schedule, they’ll have come together as a unit.

Pitts had both pros & cons as a LT. When Pitts got his hands on a DE, it was pretty much over (ask Jason Taylor). He also was able to get under a DE’s pads often and get a push on running plays. Pitts’ main negative was his reach, were he would compensate for by getting into position as quickly as possible. At times Pitts would jump to his left expecting an outside move, only to allow the DE to counter with an inside move. Pitts had to lunge or reach too often on blocks when that happened. A move inside would force his opponent to play Pitts head on more often than not, playing to Chester’s strength.

If you fed a prototype LT’s numbers into a computer, it would come out with a player that looked and moved very much like Seth Wand. Naturally large, huge wingspan, quick feet…Wand’s numbers compare well with the Raider’s #2 draft choice LT Robert Gallery. What Gallery has on Wand is 4 years of major college coaching, competition, and weight training. How fast can someone make up the difference? Well, Seth has done such a good job in the weight room and the classroom that he’s been given a shot after only 1 year. If he can make it as the LT, the Texans will have found a prototype LT with a 3rd round selection. Quite a coup.

I think any Texan fan that doesn’t own up to a little apprehension over Wand at LT is kidding them self. No matter how good he looks in his uniform or how far the coaches say he’s progressed, Seth still has to do it on the field. I like his chances mainly because I believe in this coaching staff as teachers. The Texans like to take athletes and mold them into football players. If Wand becomes successful at LT, he will be the Texans greatest achievement thus far. Until then, I’ll be gripping my arm rest a little tighter on 3rd & long.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #60
SESupergenius

Good post Lucky, I agree with most of what you've said. There is still a little air of uncertaintly going into this season regarding a few of the Offense and Defense postions for me get pumped about making the playoffs. Camp will be very exciting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read