Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-22-2004   #21
TexasAggie
Rookie

Thumbs up Gig 'em Aggies "79

Come on guys keep the faith. Capers coached him in the Senior Bowl and was so impressed by Joppru and Wand that the Texans drafted them 2 and 3. There has to be something more than we know right now so lets give Capers and Company a little time. They have said it is not permanate yet.
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy73
how do you feel-Wand at LT...
one word....nervous
I know you're kidding. Right? No need to be nervous about this. If it doesn't appear to be working out (and remember Wand should get lots of opportunity to watch Tony Banks blind side as well as Dave Ragone's front during preseason) then you know it's right back to Pitts at LT and in comes one of our perfectly capable young guards to fill the empty spot. If this doesn't work out because it's just too soon then we've got options.

Don't you guys love the sound of that? "We've got options".
Old 06-22-2004   #23
Texansbacker
Veteran

Options are good and it is awsome to have some depth and no Jimmy Herndon. Can you believe the line we had the opening year. Talk about ugly. Anyone even a little nervous needs to put it in perspective. Wand may not be proven but Boselli had confidence in him and had him highly rated. The coaches appear to have the same confidence. I really want to see our line come together and I think the addition of Wade is awesome. Looking at our line and the potential, a dominating line in 2004 is a real possibility.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #24
Ediddy73
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I know you're kidding. Right? No need to be nervous about this. If it doesn't appear to be working out (and remember Wand should get lots of opportunity to watch Tony Banks blind side as well as Dave Ragone's front during preseason) then you know it's right back to Pitts at LT and in comes one of our perfectly capable young guards to fill the empty spot. If this doesn't work out because it's just too soon then we've got options.

Don't you guys love the sound of that? "We've got options".
no I am not kidding Hervoyel. It took exactly one missed block, by Wand ironically enough, for DC to go down last year. I know he is a year wiser now, and i'm not condemning him to pergatory for one missed block, but the LT has the blind side, and consequently the best passrusher. after a year of playing sparingly as a tackle and seeing most of his action as a TE, he's ready to play the most important position on the O-line? I'm not buying, but I'm not coaching him everyday either. My personal, inconsequential opinion is that it is too soon.
Ediddy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #25
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

If it makes you feel any better, Wand was selected ahead of the starting LT for the Dolphins last year. I forgot the guys name, though.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #26
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Smith?

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #27
Texansbacker
Veteran

A little consolation in comparison.

Starting a rookie is not unheard of and Wand is a sophmore. Look at what our new right tackle Todd Wade did in his first season with the Dolphins.

2000: Started all 16 games and two playoff contests as a rookie…became the first Dolphins offensive lineman to start all 16 games as a rookie since fellow tackle Richmond Webb in 1990…helped offense rush for 1,894 yards and allow just 28 sacks…made NFL debut in 23-0 win over Seattle (9/3)…earned NFL Co-Rookie of the Month (along with Redskins OT Chris Samuels) for October after helping Dolphins average 154.3 rushing yards over four games…marked only second time an offensive line had garnered the honor (Seahawks OT Walter Jones, Oct. 1997)…only missed one quarter of action, that at Buffalo (12/3) when he left with a calf injury.

Hope that Wand can turn in a performance like that this year and we will be in good shape. Keep the faith.
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2004   #28
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

It's a Wade...

I wouldnt be too worried about Wand. If Wand doesnt do that good in the preseason, Pitts could easily take over the LT spot again.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 06-22-2004   #29
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
It's a Wade...

I wouldnt be too worried about Wand. If Wand doesnt do that good in the preseason, Pitts could easily take over the LT spot again.

How did that guy do last year?
Old 06-22-2004   #30
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

He did pretty well for a rookie, actually.

-Ben Franklin
Old 06-22-2004   #31
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

The Dolphins O-line is undergoing major changes.
Old 06-22-2004   #32
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
How did that guy do last year?
Texan289 was right, name is Wade Smith

He started all 16 games and I think he did ok. He played on a horrible overall line, though.

Old 06-22-2004   #33
Texansbacker
Veteran

Thanks, guess that is why Ricky's numbers dropped. The Dolphins will have to start another rookie at tackle now that we have their best o-lineman and right tackle Todd Wade.
Old 06-22-2004   #34
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
The Dolphins will have to start another rookie at tackle now that we have their best o-lineman and right tackle Todd Wade.
They have Veron Carey listed as a T, but most people think he is going to be a good Tackle but a great Guard.

Old 06-23-2004   #35
Ediddy73
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan281
He did pretty well for a rookie, actually.
based on what? He played good 3rd TE?
Old 06-23-2004   #36
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Based on the fact that he started all 16 games for the Fins at LT. He is only the third OL rookie to start all 16 for the Fins, joining Richmond Webb and Todd Wade.
Old 06-23-2004   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Based on the fact that he started all 16 games for the Fins at LT. He is only the third OL rookie to start all 16 for the Fins, joining Richmond Webb and Todd Wade.
By the replies I've seen, I think different posters have gotten Todd Wade, Wade Smith, & Seth Wand confused at different points in the thread. You guys might want to re-read this thread to see where you got lost.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004   #38
Ediddy73
Veteran

Quote:
meant in reference to Wand. The fact that Wand was selected ahead of Smith means precicely squat BTW.
Old 06-23-2004   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith is very Chester-Pitts like in the fact that he has a similar build and strengths. Wand was more of the prototype LT. If a guy can play, he can play. I'd trust our coaches more than mb speculation, but understand the concernes.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004   #40
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ediddy... I was talking about Smith, not Wand.

-Ben Franklin

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read