Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2012   #121
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Even 1st round draft picks got cut if they don't perform.
Plenty of drafted players never made it to the 53-man roster their first year.
True, but it DOES matter. If you are a draft pick, you will get more chances than if you are undrafted.

Keenum may make the team- I am not saying he has no chance to. I am just saying that the hype surrounding this kid from UoH grads is getting ridiculous.

Looking strictly at the facts:

Keenum played in a college-style offense that does not easily translate into the pro game.

Keenum is a solid 2 inches shorter than the preferred height for a QB.

Keenum went undrafted just a couple months ago.

Keenum, since going undrafted, has thrown 6 passes in game action, completing 3 for 53 yards. To the best of my knowledge, none of these incompletions was due to a drop by the receiver. At least one could have been picked if not for the play of the receiver.

So, honestly, how much could his stock have risen?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #122
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

3 for 533?!?!??

Oh yeah...he's making the team...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #123
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
3 for 533?!?!??

Oh yeah...he's making the team...
Haha, I went back and fixed that. That would certainly be impressive.
Old 08-20-2012   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
At least one could have been picked if not for the play of the receiver.
You may want to rewatch that play, RMartin.

There was a corner blitz going on.
The rest of the defense reverted back into a 42 zone.

Keenum made the correct read, seeing that the RB going downfield with the safety supposedly taking him on (this is the defender that was closest to the ball).

The other defender covering Iglesias was a LB.

Correct read by Keenum.

In the NFL, that is called a wide-open receiver.
You expect the QB to throw the ball there 10 out of 10 times.

The safety made a good read and had a good start; however, if the pass was a few inches closer to the receiver, there's no chance for an INT.
(or if Iglesias had stretched out with one hand from the start).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #125
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You may want to rewatch that play, RMartin.

There was a corner blitz going on.
The rest of the defense reverted back into a 42 zone.

Keenum made the correct read, seeing that the RB going downfield with the safety supposedly taking him on (this is the defender that was closest to the ball).

The other defender covering Iglesias was a LB.

Correct read by Keenum.

In the NFL, that is called a wide-open receiver.
You expect the QB to throw the ball there 10 out of 10 times.

The safety made a good read and had a good start; however, if the pass was a few inches closer to the receiver, there's no chance for an INT.
(or if Iglesias had stretched out with one hand from the start).
I deleted the game from my DVR, so I am working from memory here.

I dont doubt the corner blitz, or the zone. Neither do I contest that he made the right read. However, the ball being a couple inches off is the problem. It was not a good enough pass. You say it yourself, basically.
Old 08-20-2012   #126
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I deleted the game from my DVR, so I am working from memory here.

I dont doubt the corner blitz, or the zone. Neither do I contest that he made the right read. However, the ball being a couple inches off is the problem. It was not a good enough pass. You say it yourself, basically.
Go to the tech section to get a copy of the game...

Old 08-20-2012   #127
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Is it just me, or have any of y'all been really unimpressed by Bradie James? Dobbins has had an outstanding preseason so far. At this point, I'd rather see him as our 2 down ILB rather than James. I'm not saying we should let James go, but we should give Dobbins a shot if we truly folllow the "best man wins" competition.
I'm not seeing much of anything from James. He's got 3 assists so far this pre-season.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2012   #128
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not seeing much of anything from James. He's got 3 assists so far this pre-season.
I said it someone on here, but I'm tempted to say dobbins should be the starter next to Cushing.

That missed tackle last game was pretty disturbing too.
Old 08-20-2012   #129
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I said it someone on here, but I'm tempted to say dobbins should be the starter next to Cushing.

That missed tackle last game was pretty disturbing too.
Yeah. No way that guy should have gotten away from him.

Right now, Dobbins is crushing it. Didn't like the facemask call but at least he's flying around and near the ball.

James, not so much.
Old 08-20-2012   #130
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As much of a Case Keenum fan as I am, and I am, I have to agree I haven't seen enough yet to justify him being on the final 53 man roster. Then again, the same can be said for Beck.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #131
Rey
Hall of Fame

Heard on the radio this morning that a scout from green bay says that if grimes is let go they will definitely pick him up. Fwiw.
Old 08-20-2012   #132
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34563 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

The packers were supposedly one of the teams that made a UDFA offer on Keenum.

From what I've seen this year, they should probably focus more on defensive pickups..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #133
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have about 5 to 10 players that if they're released will be picked up immediately. I honestly like Grimes on the roster more than Forsett at this point. I wasn't in that mindset before, but its where I am today. Need to see more these next 2 games though. That's why I'm baffled why some people want to shorten the preseason to 2 games. All 4 games are important to evaluate talent in my opinion.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #134
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I think we have about 5 to 10 players that if they're released will be picked up immediately. I honestly like Grimes on the roster more than Forsett at this point. I wasn't in that mindset before, but its where I am today. Need to see more these next 2 games though. That's why I'm baffled why some people want to shorten the preseason to 2 games. All 4 games are important to evaluate talent in my opinion.
I completely agree with this. The four pre-season games are there for a reason, and I would not like them taken away. I'm also against adding any more games to the season. Things are just fine the way they are.

Old 08-20-2012   #135
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
WE, the fans, need 4 games to figure out who's who and evaluate our team's talent. The coaches don't. They've seen what these guys can do.

According to Billick, by this time, the coaches know 50 of the players that are going to be on the 53. And those last 3 are going to be hard, coin-flip type choices whether they choose now or after the 4th preseason game.
Old 08-20-2012   #136
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
WE, the fans, need 4 games to figure out who's who and evaluate our team's talent. The coaches don't. They've seen what these guys can do.

According to Billick, by this time, the coaches know 50 of the players that are going to be on the 53. And those last 3 are going to be hard, coin-flip type choices whether they choose now or after the 4th preseason game.
I've heard from plenty of coaches who disagree. You have good practice players and players who simply get it done when the lights come on. By Billick's logic, Victor Cruz would still be some scrub not on a roster.
Old 08-20-2012   #137
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Who gives a **** what Bellicheat thinks anyhow.

Old 08-20-2012   #138
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Who gives a **** what Bellicheat thinks anyhow.
haha, I think he's talking about Brian Billick Thorn. The coach who isn't even a coach right now.
Old 08-20-2012   #139
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
“Some guys, when the lights go on, they get a little bit better,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Sunday. “It seems like this is that type of young man.”
Kubiak's quote about Lestar Jean. You need to see these guys in as many game situations as possible. Tim Tebow is one guy who is simply a gamer. If you judged him simply on practice he wouldn't even be in the league right now.
Old 08-20-2012   #140
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
haha, I think he's talking about Brian Billick Thorn. The coach who isn't even a coach right now.
He is, and my mistake on that one. Still though, no one is talking me out of my belief that only two pre-season games are enough. I don't like the idea of two pre-season games and 18 regular season games. Just don't like it.

And, of course, I hate Bellicheat. Billick is OK as far as a talking head on TV goes, but I don't always agree with what he says.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read