Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2012   #101
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

Updated list after game 2 (SF). Changes in bold.

Offense - 24
QB – Schaub, Yates
RB – Foster, Tate, Grimes
FB – Norris
TE – Daniels, Casey, Graham, Brock
T – Brown, Butler, Newton
G – W.Smith, Caldwell, Brooks, S.Smith
C – Myers, Jones
WR – Johnson, Walter, Martin, Jean , Posey

Defense - 25
DE – Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick
NT – Cody, Mitchell, Harris
OLB – Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, Braman
ILB – Cushing, James, Dobbins, Alexander
CB – Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael
S – Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan, Keo

Special Teams - 4
LS – Weeks
K – Bullock
P – Jones
PR/KR - Holliday

PUP List – Hartmann, Sharpton
IR Stash –

Practice Squad –
Keenum
Mondek
Loiseau
Williams
Fangupo
Jackson (wr)
Pleasant

Grimes moves ahead of Forsett and Meggett.

I have a hard time justifying Brock making the final 53 but cant see going with just two TE's and Casey as much as this offense rely's upon the position. Brock stays for now. Could see a cut from elsewhere factoring in here.

Sonny Harris makes the final 53 over Fangupo who goes to the PS. Harris has been very good two weeks in a row.

Keo gets the last safety spot over Pleasant.

The kicker spot is wide open - leaving Bullock on my 53 for the time being but that is no indication of the eventual winner and subject to change. Depth on KO's is a concern with both IMO.

Having a hard time not putting Nading on the final roster , just dont know who to replace , could come down to him and TE Brock. Is OD , Graham and Casey enough at TE??

Loiseau also looked pretty solid , just no room with the loaded LB corp for him.

Trycycle makes the roster as the KR/PR tho I had him on last weeks roster , his performance Vs SF helps to solidify the spot.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #102
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I have a hard time justifying Brock making the final 53 but cant see going with just two TE's and Casey as much as this offense rely's upon the position. Brock stays for now. Could see a cut from elsewhere factoring in here.
I think you've got it. I think they will find a blocking TE on the waiver wire.

Also, I don't see Keo making the team, in conjunction with Pleasant on the practice squad. No real need for 6 safeties. I would lean to cutting Keo, and PSing Pleasant. Both are coverage liabilities. Maybe Pleasant can get better.
Old 08-19-2012   #103
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think you've got it. I think they will find a blocking TE on the waiver wire.
Thats what I was thinking .... For now Brock just takes up that spot on my 53.

Quote:
Also, I don't see Keo making the team, in conjunction with Pleasant on the practice squad. No real need for 6 safeties. I would lean to cutting Keo, and PSing Pleasant. Both are coverage liabilities. Maybe Pleasant can get better.
I only have five safeties on my final 53. Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan, Keo with Pleasant landing on the PS. Who's the 6th ?

Dropping Keo could allow for another LBer to make the roster (Nading) ... or even allow them to keep a 3rd QB as I only have two in my 53. Four safeties seems awful thin tho.

There will definately be some difficult cuts to make this season.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #104
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm not so sure about exposing Grimes. There are some RB hungry teams out there, like Detroit, that might snatch him up.
Detriot has an UDFA RB who ran for 92 yards versus the Ravens. They've got plaenty of back end guys. What they need is Best to get healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Grimes played well last night against a team that had two rb's go down and had another rb that isn't that good.
The Niners will eventually cut a RB (like Dixon or Cartwright) better than Grimes. Grimes might make their practice squad, but not their 53.
Old 08-19-2012   #105
Lucky

Quote:
I only have five safeties on my final 53. Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan, Keo with Pleasant landing on the PS. Who's the 6th ?
No, I meant 6 in the organization (5 on the 53, 1 on the PS). Not really necessary. The Texans went 4 safeties for much of 2011. When Manning and Nolan went down, Demps was brought back. They certainly won't activate 5 safeties. 5 on the 53 seems too many, 6 in the organization feels superfluous.
Old 08-19-2012   #106
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we've leaned on the te's heavily in the past because we needed to.

Our wr's werent really getting it done. We had Aj, kw and jacoby.

Aj gets hurt and you're left with basically nothing.

If Jean and Martin are playing well with posey behind them then all of a sudden you have a more formidable receiving corps and you'd want to get them more involved in the offense.

Some mixture of Aj, Jean, Walter, Martin, OD, Casey, and Arian would be hard to stop no matter which 5 you threw out there.

I dont see the need for another blocking TE. If you want an extra blocker on the line just do what they did last year and bring in an extra OT.

I think Brock, supernaw or derrell smith can be stashed on the ps if need be.

If you have an injury just call one if those guys up.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #107
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Niners will eventually cut a RB (like Dixon or Cartwright) better than Grimes. Grimes might make their practice squad, but not their 53.
You need to go to a 9ers message board because they are worried about their rb depth after last night.

And they don't like Dixon or Cartwright.

And neither Dixon or cartwright are better than grimes.
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2012   #108
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
You need to go to a 9ers message board because they are worried about their rb depth after last night.
I don't form my opinions from Niners (or any other) message boards. And I don't think anyone in the NFL believes Grimes is better than Dixon or Cartwright. I guess we shall see.
Old 08-19-2012   #109
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but as understand it, the only way you make the practice squad is if the other 31 teams don't pick you up after you're waived, correct?

And If that is correct, no way in hell in Keenum gets waived. Kubiak LOVES him to death, and there is no way in hell he is going risk losing him.

Keenum makes the 53. He needed 3 quarterbacks last year, and he'll remember that.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #110
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but as understand it, the only way you make the practice squad is if the other 31 teams don't pick you up after you're waived, correct?

And If that is correct, no way in hell in Keenum gets waived. Kubiak LOVES him to death, and there is no way in hell he is going risk losing him.

Keenum makes the 53. He needed 3 quarterbacks last year, and he'll remember that.
Every season there's some player (usually more) that we're afraid is going to get picked off the waiver wire if we cut him. And then the Texans cut him. And he clears waivers and goes to our PS.

Case Keenum did not get drafted. He hasn't shown enough in the limited time he's had in PS to convince anyone that he's not a system QB and that the reasons they didn't draft him are invalid. Sure... I get it... he chose to come to the Texans and he could have signed as an UDFA with several clubs so there are teams with their eyes on him, but if they nab him, then they have to put him on their 53.

Most likely, he clears waivers if he's cut.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #111
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Every season there's some player (usually more) that we're afraid is going to get picked off the waiver wire if we cut him. And then the Texans cut him. And he clears waivers and goes to our PS.

Case Keenum did not get drafted. He hasn't shown enough in the limited time he's had in PS to convince anyone that he's not a system QB and that the reasons they didn't draft him are invalid. Sure... I get it... he chose to come to the Texans and he could have signed as an UDFA with several clubs so there are teams with their eyes on him, but if they nab him, then they have to put him on their 53.

Most likely, he clears waivers if he's cut.
He has shown me plenty.

The two incompletions in the Niners game were both pretty close.
I would say if the receivers went up with one hand, they had a decent chance to pull the ball in.

On the long ball, Posey went up with both hands and the ball was off his fingertips.

On the side-line pass, Iglesias started by trying to stretch out both hands; when he finally decided to go with one hand, the ball was also off his fingertips.

Sure, I would have liked the passes to be more accurate, but a receiver like AJ would catch those balls, I'm pretty sure - simply because he's taller/has a better wing span/jumps higher/stretches better, not to mention that he can judge how to go after the ball better (timing).

Last edited by 76Texan; 08-19-2012 at 11:50 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #112
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The most important thing is that Keenum made all the correct reads.
He's playing mistake-free football.

The rest are small details that more reps can cure.
Old 08-20-2012   #113
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum threw 3 passes Saturday.

The first was gorgeous. Excellent touch off of the rollout. A smidge behind the receiver (had to catch it in his back shoulder), but if you are critiquing that then you are a pretty tough grader.

The 2nd was an overthrow. He was not throwing it to AJ, he was throwing it to Posey. QBs dont throw the same ball to every player. You throw it differently to small players, tall players, fast players, slow players, etc. It was a bad throw.

The 3rd throw was extremely dangerous, because it was a bad throw. If the receiver had not stretched out to tip it away, that ball is being returned to the house. Case simply led the receiver too far.

It is unrealistic/too nice to Keenum if you excuse all of his incomplete passes by saying that an All-Pro receiver like AJ would catch them. Most QBs would look good if they had a receiving corp of AJ, Megatron and Fitzgerald to throw to.

Now, I am not saying Keenum is a scrub. He has a good arm, and is pretty mobile. But he is short, has had limited reps in the pre-season to unimpressive results, and was skipped over by every team in the draft just a few months ago. Odds are, a team wont use a roster spot on a player like that.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #114
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm honestly starting to think that Kubiak is limiting Keenum's reps on purpose -- in an attempt to hide what the kid can do from other teams -- so he can try to stash him on the PS.

There's no other reason why the guy is taking knees on his second possession twice in a row --- specially when the one thing this team needs more than anything else is to evaluate players and come up with better ways to increase redzone efficiency.

No reason to start the victory formation in preseason with 2+ minutes left. Even San Fran went for it on 4th down to get a little live-fire practice against another team. The Texans essentially started the last drive in the red zone!

Hell, I thought that was Harbaugh being nice to Kubiak in an attempt to get Keenum another shot. Or to get Bullock another shot at a FG (just my opinion on it..)

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #115
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me, or have any of y'all been really unimpressed by Bradie James? Dobbins has had an outstanding preseason so far. At this point, I'd rather see him as our 2 down ILB rather than James. I'm not saying we should let James go, but we should give Dobbins a shot if we truly folllow the "best man wins" competition.
Old 08-20-2012   #116
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
I'm honestly starting to think that Kubiak is limiting Keenum's reps on purpose -- in an attempt to hide what the kid can do from other teams -- so he can try to stash him on the PS.

There's no other reason why the guy is taking knees on his second possession twice in a row --- specially when the one thing this team needs more than anything else is to evaluate players and come up with better ways to increase redzone efficiency.

No reason to start the victory formation in preseason with 2+ minutes left. Even San Fran went for it on 4th down to get a little live-fire practice against another team. The Texans essentially started the last drive in the red zone!

Hell, I thought that was Harbaugh being nice to Kubiak in an attempt to get Keenum another shot. Or to get Bullock another shot at a FG (just my opinion on it..)

TJ
I know!
My brother-in-law was furious that Kubiak didn't let people see a little more of Keenum.
Make it hard to evaluate his play.

He did the same thing in the Panthers game.
We had the ball on the Car 19 with 1:38 to go.
Kubiak called a run for Meggett that gained 6 then ordered Keenum to kneel twice to end the game.
Old 08-20-2012   #117
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Keenum threw 3 passes Saturday.

The first was gorgeous. Excellent touch off of the rollout. A smidge behind the receiver (had to catch it in his back shoulder), but if you are critiquing that then you are a pretty tough grader.

The 2nd was an overthrow. He was not throwing it to AJ, he was throwing it to Posey. QBs dont throw the same ball to every player. You throw it differently to small players, tall players, fast players, slow players, etc. It was a bad throw.

The 3rd throw was extremely dangerous, because it was a bad throw. If the receiver had not stretched out to tip it away, that ball is being returned to the house. Case simply led the receiver too far.

It is unrealistic/too nice to Keenum if you excuse all of his incomplete passes by saying that an All-Pro receiver like AJ would catch them. Most QBs would look good if they had a receiving corp of AJ, Megatron and Fitzgerald to throw to.

Now, I am not saying Keenum is a scrub. He has a good arm, and is pretty mobile. But he is short, has had limited reps in the pre-season to unimpressive results, and was skipped over by every team in the draft just a few months ago. Odds are, a team wont use a roster spot on a player like that.
I've already warned people about overexpectation.
I told Thorn that neither Leinart nor Yates did much last pre-season.
Both of them made the roster.

I just finished reviewing Yates' performance during last PS; I will put it up in a seperate thread and we can compare their plays.
Old 08-20-2012   #118
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I've already warned people about overexpectation.
I told Thorn that neither Leinart nor Yates did much last pre-season.
Both of them made the roster.

I just finished reviewing Yates' performance during last PS; I will put it up in a seperate thread and we can compare their plays.
Yates was a 6'4" 5th round draft pick from a college that played a pro style offense. Totally different than Keenum.

Leinart was a Heisman winning, former top 10 draft pick who had started games at the NFL. Again, totally different than Keenum.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #119
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
TJ
Well, Keenum was played ahead of beck so I don't think that's what he was doing.

Also, in that last game Keenum should see a bunch of action.
Old 08-20-2012   #120
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Yates was a 6'4" 5th round draft pick from a college that played a pro style offense. Totally different than Keenum.

Leinart was a Heisman winning, former top 10 draft pick who had started games at the NFL. Again, totally different than Keenum.
Even 1st round draft picks got cut if they don't perform.
Plenty of drafted players never made it to the 53-man roster their first year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read