Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2012   #81
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Let's say Cousins sustains an injury that might make his return to action next year doubtful (or worse), jumping at Keenum would give them a young QB that they can groom instead of Cousins
I like Keenum a lot, but I don't think he's this highly coveted guy around the NFL where if a team has injuries they'd run out and get him as their first choice.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #82
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I like Keenum a lot, but I don't think he's this highly coveted guy around the NFL where if a team has injuries they'd run out and get him as their first choice.
Ditto Jonathan Grimes.
Old 08-18-2012   #83
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I really dont think there is a lot of risk with placing Keenum on the PS. He was afterall an UDFA.

I believe we tend to overvalue and become attached to our players .... with Keenum being a hometown college QB , this is magnified.

The Redskins would be the least of my worries as far as teams who may sign Keenum system be damned , they spent a ton of assets and money on RG3. I seriously doubt that they are even looking at QB's other than an injury situation.

A QB hungry team may look at Keenum , but there are likely better options even for those teams.
[/b]
Exactly - four months ago, 32 out of 32 NFL teams chose not to use one of their 7 (give or take) picks on Case, and that was for a no-risk opportunity to put him on a 90 player roster. Now, folks are worried about him being picked up for by one of those teams for a guaranteed spot on their 53 man roster (well, guaranteed to be on it - not necessarily to stay on it). Unless Case does some other-worldly things tonight, along with any work he may get in the final two preseason games, it's just not gonna happen.

Something else about him going to the PS. Once you're on the PS, being picked up by another team isn't like being picked up off of waivers. The player gets to negotiate a contract, and actually has to agree to be picked up by another team. I'm not aware of it ever happening, but theoretically, a player could choose to turn down a contract offer and stay on his current team's PS.

I'm not saying Case would ever in a million years do that, but if the Texans felt he had more long-term upside than Beck (which he almost certainly does - if for no other reason than Beck's lack of it), but felt like Beck was the better option right now, they could make it known to Case that they would match (or perhaps even beat) any offer he might get while on the PS, and add him to their 53 man roster. Again, not a guarantee by any strethc, and it doesn't bind anybody to anything, but the point is the Texans wouldn't necessarily be without some say if another team tried to pick him up off of the PS.
Old 08-18-2012   #84
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Exactly - four months ago, 32 out of 32 NFL teams chose not to use one of their 7 (give or take) picks on Case, and that was for a no-risk opportunity to put him on a 90 player roster. Now, folks are worried about him being picked up for by one of those teams for a guaranteed spot on their 53 man roster (well, guaranteed to be on it - not necessarily to stay on it). Unless Case does some other-worldly things tonight, along with any work he may get in the final two preseason games, it's just not gonna happen.

Something else about him going to the PS. Once you're on the PS, being picked up by another team isn't like being picked up off of waivers. The player gets to negotiate a contract, and actually has to agree to be picked up by another team. I'm not aware of it ever happening, but theoretically, a player could choose to turn down a contract offer and stay on his current team's PS.

I'm not saying Case would ever in a million years do that, but if the Texans felt he had more long-term upside than Beck (which he almost certainly does - if for no other reason than Beck's lack of it), but felt like Beck was the better option right now, they could make it known to Case that they would match (or perhaps even beat) any offer he might get while on the PS, and add him to their 53 man roster. Again, not a guarantee by any strethc, and it doesn't bind anybody to anything, but the point is the Texans wouldn't necessarily be without some say if another team tried to pick him up off of the PS.
You brought up some very interesting points that I never know exist, thanks!

As far as the Skins goes, it was just a rhetoric question that I had.

They drafted RGIII and still took Kirk Cousins in the fourth.
If Cousins somehow get injured (let's go to the extreme and say that it's career-ending; I frankly do not wish that to happen) the logic that dictates them to select Cousins may indcate that they could pick up a guy like Keenum.

Before the draft, Keenum didn't play much under center; but as the season goes on, his being on the Texans' PS ( ie. he performs decently or well in the PS) tell the Skins that they don't need to have the concerns (about him not being able to play in the WCO).

I didn't say that the Skins will rush to get Keenum, only that it's quite a possibility. They are willing to spend a roster space for Cousins, they can do the same for Keenum.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #85
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You brought up some very interesting points that I never know exist, thanks!

As far as the Skins goes, it was just a rhetoric question that I had.

They drafted RGIII and still took Kirk Cousins in the fourth.
If Cousins somehow get injured (let's go to the extreme and say that it's career-ending; I frankly do not wish that to happen) the logic that dictates them to select Cousins may indcate that they could pick up a guy like Keenum.

Before the draft, Keenum didn't play much under center; but as the season goes on, his being on the Texans' PS ( ie. he performs decently or well in the PS) tell the Skins that they don't need to have the concerns (about him not being able to play in the WCO).

I didn't say that the Skins will rush to get Keenum, only that it's quite a possibility. They are willing to spend a roster space for Cousins, they can do the same for Keenum.
Well, unless RGIII and Rex get hurt, it's pretty unlikely that Cousins will have the opportunity to injure himself - at least not once we get past preseason (and if he injures himself in preseason, the Texans will know about it when they make their final roster cuts) (Not that they'll care).
Old 08-18-2012   #86
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, unless RGIII and Rex get hurt, it's pretty unlikely that Cousins will have the opportunity to injure himself - at least not once we get past preseason (and if he injures himself in preseason, the Texans will know about it when they make their final roster cuts) (Not that they'll care).
A player can get hurt in practice, can't he?

Also, I heard that a guy got hurt falling down the stairs, in a motorcycle accident, etc.
Old 08-18-2012   #87
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Ditto Jonathan Grimes.
Qb is a different animal than rb.

A rb can come in and contribute a lot sooner than a qb.

Also, I've stated this in many threads, I couldn't care less about the ps. Put the best guys on the roster.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2012   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
There will be three QBs, and maybe four if they try and hid Kenum on the practice squad. But, if Keenum shows anywhere close to what he did at U of H against the other guys 2s and 3s, he won't last on the practice squad. Someone with an accute QB shortage will snatch him up and put him on their roster.
Thorn, old pal, just a little reminder:

Yates' numbers during pre-season last year were as followed:

13 of 26 for 181 yds (50% completion pct. and 7 ypa), zero TD and 1 INT for a QB rating of 56.7

And Yates never played with the 2's; ie. he only played against scrubs.

Leinart's numbers:

36-58, 361 yds (62.1 completion pct. and 6.2 ypa, 1 TD, 1 INT for a QB rating of 78.3)
Old 08-18-2012   #89
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Qb is a different animal than rb.

A rb can come in and contribute a lot sooner than a qb.
Funny a lot of folks around here think Yates proved himself better than Schaub or a likely successor with no off-season.

Quote:
Also, I've stated this in many threads, I couldn't care less about the ps. Put the best guys on the roster.
Problem is you are acting like they are walking around the locker room with one of them wearing a jersey that says "best guy" on the back and that is nonsense. Even best isn't as certain as you make out. Best right now and best in six months for instance is an important distinction. When you have guys very close in talent at the tail end of the roster of course PS eligibility plays a consideration. It would be ignorant not to take it into consideration. It is part of the system.
Old 08-18-2012   #90
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Funny a lot of folks around here think Yates proved himself better than Schaub or a likely successor with no off-season.

Problem is you are acting like they are walking around the locker room with one of them wearing a jersey that says "best guy" on the back and that is nonsense. Even best isn't as certain as you make out. Best right now and best in six months for instance is an important distinction. When you have guys very close in talent at the tail end of the roster of course PS eligibility plays a consideration. It would be ignorant not to take it into consideration. It is part of the system.
I don't know what any of that has to do with anything I posted except the last sentence.

And regarding those last three sentences, IMO, you are wrong.

Doesn't matter who we think are the best guys. At the end if pre season there will be a pecking order. Whether you like it or not, the coaches are going to decide who they think is better and they are going to set the depth chart accordingly.

And ps eligibility has 0 to do with that because if you think a young guy is better than a vet or is going to be better than a said vet at the end of the depth chart it makes no sense to put them on ps. None what so ever.

Why would you risk losing a guy that you think can help your team (now or in the future) more than another guy you're keeping??? Seriously, that's just wacky.

The players on practice squad will be there because the coaches think they aren't better or can't help the team more than the guys on the active roster. Period.
Old 08-18-2012   #91
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know what any of that has to do with anything I posted except the last sentence.

And regarding those last three sentences, IMO, you are wrong.

Doesn't matter who we think are the best guys. At the end if pre season there will be a pecking order. Whether you like it or not, the coaches are going to decide who they think is better and they are going to set the depth chart accordingly.

And ps eligibility has 0 to do with that because if you think a young guy is better than a vet or is going to be better than a said vet at the end of the depth chart it makes no sense to put them on ps. None what so ever.

Why would you risk losing a guy that you think can help your team (now or in the future) more than another guy you're keeping??? Seriously, that's just wacky.

The players on practice squad will be there because the coaches think they aren't better or can't help the team more than the guys on the active roster. Period.
If there is a clear cut distinction, then yes you keep the best guy. But if you have two more guys that grade out equally, then absolutely ps eligibility comes into consideration. The coaches have said it. So does IR (albeit phantom Ir at times).
Old 08-18-2012   #92
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If there is a clear cut distinction, then yes you keep the best guy. But if you have two more guys that grade out equally, then absolutely ps eligibility comes into consideration. The coaches have said it. So does IR (albeit phantom Ir at times).
The coaches are not going to put a guy on ps they think is better.

Sorry, but it makes no sense no matter who says it.

Forsett is ahead of grimes on the depth chart for a reason. They trust him more Aka they think that at this point hed be a better fit for the third rb position.

If someone proves they are better, even incrementally, he'll be on the roster. If not, he won't. It's that simple.

Another reason why I think what you're saying makes no sense is this: why would you keep a journeyman vet over a rookie or young player you think is just as good or a little better.
Old 08-18-2012   #93
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
A player can get hurt in practice, can't he?

Also, I heard that a guy got hurt falling down the stairs, in a motorcycle accident, etc.
When's the last time you heard of a NFL quarterback getting hurt in practice?

Also, I said "pretty unlikely", not absolutely impossible.
Old 08-18-2012   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

double post
Old 08-18-2012   #95
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When's the last time you heard of a NFL quarterback getting hurt in practice?

Also, I said "pretty unlikely", not absolutely impossible.
This season:

Miami Dolphins quarterback David Garrard suffered a sudden knee injury and need surgery on his knee prior to the Miami Dolphins preseason opening game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A guy can incur an injury and then reaggravate it later on.

Remember how AJ went down by himself without anybody hitting him?

At any rate, it was a rhetoric question, so never mind, let's not go into all these details that neither of us really want to.

Peace!
Old 08-19-2012   #96
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This season:

Miami Dolphins quarterback David Garrard suffered a sudden knee injury and need surgery on his knee prior to the Miami Dolphins preseason opening game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A guy can incur an injury and then reaggravate it later on.

Remember how AJ went down by himself without anybody hitting him?

At any rate, it was a rhetoric question, so never mind, let's not go into all these details that neither of us really want to.

Peace!
Remember when Zach Diles broke his leg running in practice with no one around him?

BUT... just a quibble... but Garrard didn't hurt his knee in practice. He was at home watching his kid swimming in the pool. He turned to do something and his knee when crackle-crackle and that was all she wrote. At least, that's the story he told on Hard Knocks.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #97
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

After last nights game , going to have to re-evaluate my list.

Sonny Harris looked really good ... as did Louiseau and Keo made a couple plays.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #98
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Redskins have two rookie QB on their roster: RG III and Kirk Cousins.

If one of them gets injured, what's the difference in replacing them with Keenum in term of experience in the system?
You'd have to ask the redskins that.

They drafted rg3 and cousins, so there was something about them that they liked more than Keenum.

That's like asking, if schaub gets hurt what's the difference if we replace him with Rex grossman.

Yeah they both have experience in the system, but there is a reason Schaub is the starter here and Rex isn't.

Personally I want case to be on the roster, but I'm not going to act like it's a given he's scooped off of our ps if he's put there.
Old 08-19-2012   #99
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Ditto Jonathan Grimes.
I'm not so sure about exposing Grimes. There are some RB hungry teams out there, like Detroit, that might snatch him up.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #100
Rey
Hall of Fame

Grimes played well last night against a team that had two rb's go down and had another rb that isn't that good.

I'd be surprised if we cut meggett and grimes if both made it to, and lasted on our practice squad all year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read