Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2012   #61
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I would think Beck just due to his experience in their system. If you need a backup midseason, you don't want to go with an UDFA with no NFL experience. Although, that may change as we see more of Keenum in preseason, word is he will be playing a lot more in game 2.
Under all but the best circumstances (Tom Brady), if you get to your 3rd QB .... Your season is toast.
I dont think Beck gives you any better chance to win than does Keenum if both Yates and Schaub fall to injury. We dont know how good Keenum can be , we do know what Beck is .... a career backup.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #62
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah. A lot of teams are using that 46th spot for another position than QB and then only carrying 2 active QBs on game day. Hell, there have been times when we've only had 2 QBs on our roster and there are plenty of guys here predicting we'll only have Schaub and Yates as part of the 53.

As we saw in that Jag game last year, that's a dangerous game of Russian roulette right there.
There are pros and cons to dressing a 3rd QB. As has already been laid out, not having a healthy QB is like having one hand tied behind your back. However, that third QB doesn't contribute in any other way. Getting an extra player that can contribute in ST will be more valuable in any game where your QB doesn't get injured. ST guys also probably get more beat up than the QB. Dressing a non-QB as your 46th guy provides more reward but is riskier. This is all assuming a healthy QB1. If your QB1 is an injury risk, then having 3 QBs is more justified.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I would think Beck just due to his experience in their system. If you need a backup midseason, you don't want to go with an UDFA with no NFL experience. Although, that may change as we see more of Keenum in preseason, word is he will be playing a lot more in game 2.
Kirk Cousins was 9/22 for 74 yards (3.36 ypa) and an INT in his first PS game against Buffalo for a 31.2 QB rating.

3 of his completions were during the last 29 seconds of the half (loose coverage.)

Rex Grossman (the 2nd QB) was 2 of 10 for 22 yards (2.22 ypa) and a 39.6 QB rating.

Can they be replaced by Keenum?
You betcha!
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #64
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not JUST about Washington. Anyone thinking that is being super short-sighted.

The guy had offers from other teams before signing here. You don't think that Jacksonville would roll the dice on him over Gabbert? Or Henne?

Hell, I could see Bud Adams signing the kid just to screw with us. He stayed with Vince when it was clear he was a head case..

The last thing I want to do is play against the guy two times a year..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #65
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So Keenum doesn't even make the PS? Please explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That would be laughable .... TJ Yates isnt going to be running the scout team.

One or both happens - Beck makes the final 53 and Keenum makes the PS (or final 53). They will have more than just Yates / Schaub in house at QB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Zero chance that we hold only 2 QB's after last year. ZERO..

Isn't there some new rule about keeping an extra player if that player is a QB?

Why wouldn't we take advange of that?

TJ
We didnt have a QB on last years PS. So I think they will be fine without Kennum. But if that is laughable, then I guess I dont have a sense of humor. Also, if the Texans need to sign Keenum, or a QB of similar usefulness, I dont think that would be a problem. Hell, I dont even think Beck will make the roster.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #66
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
It's not JUST about Washington. Anyone thinking that is being super short-sighted.

The guy had offers from other teams before signing here. You don't think that Jacksonville would roll the dice on him over Gabbert? Or Henne?

Hell, I could see Bud Adams signing the kid just to screw with us. He stayed with Vince when it was clear he was a head case..

The last thing I want to do is play against the guy two times a year..
TJ
Because of the great success University of Houston qb's have had in the NFL? Dude will be lucky to be in the league 5 years from now.
Old 08-17-2012   #67
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll find out more about Case Saturday. I'm looking forward to it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2012   #68
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
We didnt have a QB on last years PS. So I think they will be fine without Kennum.
There may be some temporary exceptions but they have pretty much always had three QB's somewhere. 2 QB's on active and practice combined ain't happening.
Old 08-17-2012   #69
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There may be some temporary exceptions but they have pretty much always had three QB's somewhere. 2 QB's on active and practice combined ain't happening.
There will be three QBs, and maybe four if they try and hid Kenum on the practice squad. But, if Keenum shows anywhere close to what he did at U of H against the other guys 2s and 3s, he won't last on the practice squad. Someone with an accute QB shortage will snatch him up and put him on their roster.

Old 08-17-2012   #70
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
There will be three QBs, and maybe four if they try and hid Kenum on the practice squad. But, if Keenum shows anywhere close to what he did at U of H against the other guys 2s and 3s, he won't last on the practice squad. Someone with an accute QB shortage will snatch him up and put him on their roster.
Whats Beck's salary .... I have a feeling cap space may play into that decision.
I'd wager Beck's deal is significantly more as a seasoned NFL QB (backup or not) than is Keenum's who was an undrafted rookie.
We all know they are up against the cap and have a lot of things to work out going forward to be able to keep their core players. If they arent far apart with what they offer on the field , in practice ... then factor in that the rookie likely has more growth potential than a guy who's career arc has flatlined to that of 3rd string backup.
If either have to take the field for more than mop up duty .... the season is likely toast.
May as well run with the cheaper option with the potential for growth.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-17-2012   #71
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Whats Beck's salary .... I have a feeling cap space may play into that decision.
I'd wager Beck's deal is significantly more as a seasoned NFL QB (backup or not) than is Keenum's who was an undrafted rookie.
We all know they are up against the cap and have a lot of things to work out going forward to be able to keep their core players. If they arent far apart with what they offer on the field , in practice ... then factor in that the rookie likely has more growth potential than a guy who's career arc has flatlined to that of 3rd string backup.
If either have to take the field for more than mop up duty .... the season is likely toast.
May as well run with the cheaper option with the potential for growth.
That makes sense. For me, it's more of a home town fan boy approach to Keenum more than anything else, and I'll admit it. LOL

Old 08-17-2012   #72
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beck would pull $700K in 2012. Keenum would get the rookie minimum ($390K). However, it's likely that Keenum's cap number would not be in the top 51 on the team. So just his prorated signing bonus would count against the cap (likely less than $10K).

Still, it's unlikely that the $700k would be the mitigating factor. I think the longer the Texans look at Beck, the less likely he'll be on the team. The pressure Beck will see versus the Niners will give a good indication of his abilities.
Old 08-18-2012   #73
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck -- Keenum on PS
RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett -- Try to get Grimes on PS
FB: Casey, Norris
WR: AJ, KW, KMart, Jean, Posey
TE: OD, GG, Brock
LT: DB, Butler
LG: Smith, Smith
C: Myers, Jones
RG: Caldwell, Brooks
RT: Newton

DE: Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick
NT: Cody, Earl, Fangupo
OLB: Barwin, Reed, Braman, Mercilus
ILB: Cush, James, Dobbins, Alexander
CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, Ball
S: Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan

LS: Weeks
P: Jones
K: Bullock

---
The guys I think are borderline are Ball, Fangupo, Brock, and Norris.
It's Friday before San Fran game & as of now, I put Holliday over Ball.
Old 08-18-2012   #74
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It's Friday before San Fran game & as of now, I put Holliday over Ball.
Ball needs to take a Holiday

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #75
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Also, the Redskins cut Beck during the 5th round of the draft,

They picked Kirk Cousins in the 4th.

Let's say Cousins goes down with an injury, would they be more likely to give Beck a call or Keenum (if both are available)?
I'm thinking neither.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #76
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Taking a crack at the final 53 just for fun.

OFFENSE

QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck (Keenum makes PS)

RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett

FB: Casey, Norris

WR: Johnson, Walter, Jean, Martin, Posey, B. Johnson

TE: Daniels, Graham

OL: Brown, Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Butler, Newton, Brooks, Jones, S. Smith (Mondek to PS)

DEFENSE

DL: Smith, Cody, Watt, Jamison, Mitchell, Crick

ILB: Cushing, James, Alexander, Dobbins (Sharpton on PUP)

OLB: Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, Braman, Nading

CB: Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, McManis

S: Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan

SPECIAL

K: Bullock

P: Jones

LS: Weeks

I tried to get Holliday to make the team, but I opted for more experience on the OL with Shelley Smith, and more experience with the receivers with Bryant Johnson. I also have McManis barely beating out Ball for the last DB spot. McManis' versatility gets him on the roster. I expect Martin to be the KR/PR.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #77
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Beck would pull $700K in 2012. Keenum would get the rookie minimum ($390K). However, it's likely that Keenum's cap number would not be in the top 51 on the team. So just his prorated signing bonus would count against the cap (likely less than $10K).

Still, it's unlikely that the $700k would be the mitigating factor. I think the longer the Texans look at Beck, the less likely he'll be on the team. The pressure Beck will see versus the Niners will give a good indication of his abilities.
I didnt realize Beck's salary was so low .... You are correct , the difference in their salary wont likely be a factor.

Keenum will play with the 2's against the 49ers .... Beck with the 3's.

Not sure how to take what he (Beck) does with and against that level of competition.
Will be interesting to see what Keenum does against the 2's as its a significant step up in competition (and protection).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-18-2012   #78
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm thinking neither.
How so?

With Keenum, they would be replacing a rookie with another rookie in the same system.

On the cheap, too.

The rhetoric here is that Keenum is placed on the PS squad; ie. the coaches see something in him that deserves developing.

It's very doubtful that the Skins will go anwhere this year.
They already have Grossman as a vet on the roster (assuming they carry 3 QBs).
Let's say Cousins sustains an injury that might make his return to action next year doubtful (or worse), jumping at Keenum would give them a young QB that they can groom instead of Cousins.

They will still have plenty of cap space to go hunting for a veteran backup in the off-season (if they decide that Grossman has very little left in the tank.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #79
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

I really dont think there is a lot of risk with placing Keenum on the PS. He was afterall an UDFA.

I believe we tend to overvalue and become attached to our players .... with Keenum being a hometown college QB , this is magnified.

The Redskins would be the least of my worries as far as teams who may sign Keenum system be damned , they spent a ton of assets and money on RG3. I seriously doubt that they are even looking at QB's other than an injury situation.

A QB hungry team may look at Keenum , but there are likely better options even for those teams.

Keenum's play going forward , especially in todays game since he will be with the 2's instead of the 3's may give us an indication of his potential in the NFL. He could light it up and change my perception .... but at this point , he's seen as a college system QB in NFL circles.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-18-2012   #80
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really dont think there is a lot of risk with placing Keenum on the PS. He was afterall an UDFA.

I believe we tend to overvalue and become attached to our players .... with Keenum being a hometown college QB , this is magnified.

The Redskins would be the least of my worries as far as teams who may sign Keenum system be damned , they spent a ton of assets and money on RG3. I seriously doubt that they are even looking at QB's other than an injury situation.

A QB hungry team may look at Keenum , but there are likely better options even for those teams.

Keenum's play going forward , especially in todays game since he will be with the 2's instead of the 3's may give us an indication of his potential in the NFL. He could light it up and change my perception .... but at this point , he's seen as a college system QB in NFL circles.
he's seen as a college system QB in NFL circles.

That's a good thing because he's now in a hell of a system. If he can grasp it and put the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there, viola. I think with Keenum playing with the twos tonight will go a little further in telling where he stands in terms of improvement to date and NFL potential.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read