Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2012   #321
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

Offense - 23
QB – Schaub, Yates, Keenum
RB – Foster, Tate, Forsett
FB – Casey, Norris
TE – Daniels, Graham
T – Brown, Butler, Newton
G – W.Smith, Caldwell, Brooks
C – Myers, Jones
WR – Johnson, Walter, Martin, Jean , Posey

Defense - 26
DE – Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick
NT – Cody, Mitchell
OLB – Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, Braman, Nading
ILB – Cushing, James, Dobbins, Alexander
CB – Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, McManis , Ball
S – Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan, Keo

Special Teams - 4
LS – Weeks
K – Graham
P – Jones
PR/KR - Holliday

There is still some competition for roster spots at multiple positions.

Ive got them keeping 3 RB's for now tho I could see them keeping both Forsett and Grimes or either one of them. Its a toss up for now.

QB - Keenum and Beck for the #3

RB - Forsett and Grimes although both could make the final 53.

KR/PR - Trycycle still has to earn that roster spot , holding onto the ball and making good decisions with when to return or not going a long way twards that.

CB - The final spot between Ball and Carmichael is still up for grabs. I have Ball ahead at this point.

Have to wonder if they keep Keo as he has no PS elegibility .... this could affect other roster spots , especially the decision between 3 and 4 RB's or another TE tho Casey gives them a bit of flexability there. For now I have them keeping Keo.

Does Posey come down with a mysterious injury and land on IR .... Tough decision here because that would put him out of football for two years , thats a pretty big risk considering the 3rd round pick. Until he's IR'd , i have him on the final roster.

TE - Carrying only two for now with Casey as TE3 , this could change with a cut at CB , S or WR. Dont think Brock or Supernaw have shown enough , if there is a 3rd TE he'snot on the roster currently.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #322
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing we've got to remember is that we're not restricted to the guys currently on the team. FB#2 might not be DSmith or Norris.

RSmith has worked some magic in the past finding guys that have been cut by other teams. When Kubiak was talking about FB, he could have his eye on someone they expect to get cut from another team.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #323
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If they decide to go with just 8 O-linemen, I can see them keeping 4 RBs.

Alexander and Nading both still are on the bubbles in my mind.
It's quite possible that only one of them make the roster.

Nading has played at ILB also.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #324
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
One thing we've got to remember is that we're not restricted to the guys currently on the team. FB#2 might not be DSmith or Norris.

RSmith has worked some magic in the past finding guys that have been cut by other teams. When Kubiak was talking about FB, he could have his eye on someone they expect to get cut from another team.
Yeah , Ive made this point multiple times , especially about the 3rd TE spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
If they decide to go with just 8 O-linemen, I can see them keeping 4 RBs.

Alexander and Nading both still are on the bubbles in my mind.
It's quite possible that only one of them make the roster.

Nading has played at ILB also.
I only have 8 OL making my final 53 .... 4 RB's is a possibility but I think its more likely they use that roster spot on defense or for special teams standouts tho Grimes did show well on ST making several tackles thus far.

Nading is a really good ST player .... That and the ability to play inside or out may be the determining factor between him and Alexander.

Old 08-29-2012   #325
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there are several players that have to play their way on/off the roster.

Keenum/Beck - I think Keenum could be moved to the practice squad with the Texans carrying only Schaub and Yates on the active roster. Watch for the waiver wire here, too, as a young vet that Kubiak likes could become available (like Leinart did in 2010).

Forsett/Grimes - Probably closer than I originally thought. The Texans could possibly keep both, if they go with 2 QBs.

Norris - I think Norris has to worry about who shows up on the waiver wire.

Brock - I think he makes the roster, unless the Texans find someone better on the waiver wire.

Gardner - He's lost some traction through preseason and needs a big game.

Shelley Smith - He needs an injury to one of the 5 interior linemen ahead of him on the depth chart.

Posey - The rookie either makes the roster or becomes victim to some type of injury. I think he makes it.

Fangupo - Needs a big game, and still could be cut if the Texans find someone better on the waiver wire.

Alexander - Another spot where the Texans look hard at the waiver wire.

Carmichael/Ball - One could make the team, or both could be cut. They need to shine to make it to Week 1.

Keo - Right now, he's a special teams player only. That Pleasant can be stashed on the practice squad hurts his chances.

Holliday - Unless he has a Chernobyl meltdown, Trindon is on the team.

I count as many as 6 positions the Texans could be looking at upgrades via the waiver wire. They won't bring in 6 players, but I think they will find 2 or 3 before opening day.
Old 08-30-2012   #326
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You need to shoot that little birdy because Cody can't get PUPed. He started training camp on the active roster and got hurt during camp. Therefore, can't go on PUP.
Did not know that, nor did my little feathered friend. Congrats on your knowledge of the rules
Therefor I'm thinking they do retain Fangupo for several games until Codys return
to the lineup, unless the Texans pick up someone from the waiver wire. The plain
truth is they have no reserve at NG for Mitch with "The Nose" being layed up.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #327
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That was a proposal, but the NFL and NFLPA could not come to an agreement on it.
It has just been agreed to (and it also moves the trade deadline from week 6 to week 8).

Quote:
In a surprise move, the NFL Players’ Association has agreed to the NFL’s request that the trade deadline be moved back from Week Six to Week Eight, and that one player per team can return to the field later in the season after being placed on injured reserve.
LINK

If this is unchanged from the original agreement approved by the owners, the IR change still wouldn't apply to anybody placed on IR during the preseason. I believe it has to be someone on the 53 man roster for the opening game.
Old 08-30-2012   #328
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

The new rule will allow the Texans to use the roster exception on Sharpton through week eight. He would be able to join team practices in week six. If his rehab is going slowly as it appears, six weeks sounds about right.
Old 08-30-2012   #329
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
The new rule will allow the Texans to use the roster exception on Sharpton through week eight. He would be able to join team practices in week six. If his rehab is going slowly as it appears, six weeks sounds about right.
You've just described the reserve PUP rule which has been in existence for several years now. Sharpton's already been placed on the reserve PUP. There will be no need to waste their one IR exception on someone who won't be taking up a roster spot for a minimum of 6 weeks anyway.
Old 08-30-2012   #330
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You've just described the reserve PUP rule which has been in existence for several years now. Sharpton's already been placed on the reserve PUP. There will be no need to waste their one IR exception on someone who won't be taking up a roster spot for a minimum of 6 weeks anyway.
I think he was talking about the pup rule.

If I understand correctly it has been changed and extended.

Of course I heard that on the radio so that info could be wrong.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #331
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Im hearing that Gary may go with only two QB's .... If thats the case , they likely carry an extra OL or TE. If its a TE , I dont expect he is on the current roster.

No , I dont have a link ....

Old 08-30-2012   #332
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn, dj Bryant going to make roster cuts even harder.
Old 08-30-2012   #333
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Well now that Butler is lost I think Shelly Smith just made the 53 so the oline should be as is

Lt-Dbo,Gardner

Lg-Wade smith,Shelly smith

C-Myers,Jones

Rg-Caldwell,Brooks

Rt-Newton

Kubiak talked about maybe playing Brooks at OT if need be unless we bring in another OT or bring back Mondek
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #334
Rey
Hall of Fame

What does Shelley smith have to do with the tackle situation?
Old 08-30-2012   #335
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Shelly Smith wasn't gona make my roster with butler and newton now he will make the cut
Old 08-30-2012   #336
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Shelly Smith wasn't gona make my roster with butler and newton now he will make the cut
Why?

What does one have to do with the other?
Old 08-30-2012   #337
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

We usually keep 8 to 9 olineman I don't think we would keep 10 which is what the original number would have been if we didn't put him on the PS
Old 08-30-2012   #338
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We usually keep 8 to 9 olineman I don't think we would keep 10 which is what the original number would have been if we didn't put him on the PS
You must have had 4 tackles making the team before butler got hurt.
Old 08-30-2012   #339
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Ya exactly I had Dbo,Gardner,Newton,Butler since Jones can play C or G same with Caldwell so no need to keep 4 OG in my opinion
Old 08-30-2012   #340
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ya exactly I had Dbo,Gardner,Newton,Butler since Jones can play C or G same with Caldwell so no need to keep 4 OG in my opinion
Ok, I understand what you are saying now. That makes sense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read