Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2012   #201
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

I think shaky was John Beck's plays with the Skins last year.

He gave them ZERO chance to win any game.

In one game, he took like 9 or 10 sacks.

In another game, he didn't attempt any pass deeper than the 10-12 yd out or in route.
There were plays in which he had time and the receivers were open downfield.
There was one particular play where the camera show san end zone view replay where the TV crews circled both receivers wide-open on either side line.
They were wide open, yet they had to wave their hands like crazy to draw Beck's attention.
No matter where Beck looked, he would have an easy target.
But he went with a dump-off instead, LOL!

Last edited by 76Texan; 08-22-2012 at 01:00 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #202
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

If that's the case 76, why would we ever want Beck on our roster? If the guy can't play then the guy can't play.

That leaves only two options: Keenum as #3 on active roster, or Keenum as #3 on practice squad..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #203
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
If that's the case 76, why would we ever want Beck on our roster? If the guy can't play then the guy can't play.

That leaves only two options: Keenum as #3 on active roster, or Keenum as #3 on practice squad..

TJ
We need a guy who knows the system since he was with Redskins last year under Shanahan.

Also, a guy can improve, can't he?

Beck is not quite that old yet.
Old 08-22-2012   #204
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see what the stats say for a guy improving after having been on 4 different teams. I guess it's possible, but I'd bet it's pretty unlikely..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
We need a guy who knows the system since he was with Redskins last year under Shanahan.

speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #205
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He is only a couple months younger than Matt Schaub.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #206
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Beck came from BYU so he was already fairly old by NFL standards when he was drafted.
Old 08-22-2012   #207
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Beck came from BYU so he was already fairly old by NFL standards when he was drafted.
Mormons
Old 08-23-2012   #208
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
He is only a couple months younger than Matt Schaub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't know how long he went on his mission, but he was a true freshman at BYU at the year of 22 where he played 4 years.

Seems like he lost 4 years, and that's a long time to be out of football.
Granted, he already had 5 years in the NFL, but maybe his arms and legs are not as tired and he didn't have anybody hitting him for 4 years (?) so hid body should be fresher ?

And in fairness to Beck, in that game where he took a lot of sacks, there were at least 4 that were solely on the blockers.
(I watched thoses games when we first signed him so I don't recall exactly the numbers, but at least 4 were none of his fault.)
Old 08-23-2012   #209
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know how long he went on his mission, but he was a true freshman at BYU at the year of 22 where he played 4 years.

Granted, he already had 5 years in the NFL, but maybe his arms and legs are not as tired and he didn't have anybody hitting him for 4 years (?) so hid body should be fresher ?

And in fairness to Beck, in that game where he took a lot of sacks, there were at least 4 that were solely on the blockers.
(I watched thoses games when we first signed him so I don't recall exactly the numbers, but at least 4 were none of his fault.)
Something I think is telling is that Keenum was given reps with the 2's - 3's ahead of Beck in the SF game. Wasnt a large sample size but .... it is what it is.

That may or may not mean Keenum has surpassed Beck in the pecking order according to the coaches .... but it does give you someinsight into their thinking.

One thing we know for sure - Beck is not an NFL starting QB. We cant really make that same statement about Keenum. If you grade them equal today but thinkone has room for growth ..... which way did he go George?!

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #210
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
No way Harris gets cut.

Mcmannis is not that impressive as a cb, so I don't think he makes it.

I've always liked nading, so I hope he makes it, but I could see him being a casualty.

I think the competition between keo and demps will be one to watch.

I think demps has the edge and I'm not a huge keo fan, but be has looked better this pre season and he shows up on kick coverage.

Definitely going to be interesting to see what thy do with this roster.

I'll take a stab at a prediction:

Qb: Matt, Yates, Keenum
Rb: foster, Tate, grimes
Fb: Casey, norris
Wr: Aj, Walter, Martin, Jean, posey
TE: OD, Grahm
OT: brown, butler, newton
OG/C: meyers, jones, wade, Caldwell, Brooks, Shelley

DE: smith, watt, Jamison, crick
NT: Cody, Mitchell, Harris
ILB: Cush, James, mister, dobbins
OLB: barwin, reed, merciless, Braman, nading
CB: kjax, jjo, McCain, harris, Carmichael
S: manning, Quinn, Nolan, demps

LS: weeks
K: bullock
P: jones
KR: trindon

I don't feel confident with this roster prediction, but its about what I'd do.
Last year, our first cut was down to 52 (due to the Butler situation).

We carried 7 CBs and 4 safeties but soon put Carmichael on the shelf and brought Keo up.

I think this year we go with 6 CBs and 5 safeties out of the shoot.

McManis has been pretty steady; at the moment I think I would take him over Carmichael. There should be room for both if we go with six - unless Wade loves him some Ball.

Quite a few people around here are not fans of Keo.

But he does play many roles.

Ever since Wade came here, Keo has been the only one that appears as the back-up to Quin in the dime package (which is quite popular in his D).

He's also the fifth safety last year and during this PS, playing both positions.
He's the one who makes all the secondary calls when we go third string in PS.
He also plays on ST.

I think there's a very good chance he makes the roster.

As usual, I think Nading might be the odd man out just so that we can find out how many lives he has.

Mister Alexander has been underwhelming, but with no depth, he may stick.
I think he needs to be on PS for another year.
Old 08-24-2012   #211
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mister Alexander has been underwhelming, but with no depth, he may stick.
I think he needs to be on PS for another year.
I was thinking the same thing ... maybe they PS him when / if Sharpton returns. But until that happens .... I believe he makes the 53.

Old 08-25-2012   #212
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Lots to think about tonight ....

Wondering if they keep 4 RB's as Forsett looked pretty good and Grimes made several plays on ST (coverage) as well as looking solid both running the ball and catching it.

Fangupo made a couple plays - sniffed out a screen and combined on the tackle with Nading who was always around the ball.

Trycycles fumble looked to me to be a good play by the defender .... but the punt he bungled later had me concerned. Bounced back with a big return tho.

Carmichael , just dont think he did enough to outplay Ball for a spot.

McManis played his way ahead of both Carmichael and Ball.

Keo - do they keep 5 safeties ?? Did look good on ST .... No PS elegibility , will be a tough cut.

I'd like to put Mister Alexander on the bubble .... but with the lack of depth there its hard to do. Maybe they bring in someone after the first round of cuts.

Can we cut the whole second string OL ..... Man they looked BAD.

Kasey Studdard - Bye Bye.

Im good with OD , Graham and Casey at TE .... Unless someone gets dinged up. Could see them bring in a guy who gets cut from elsewhere - a blocking type.

Old 08-26-2012   #213
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think mr Alexander has been ok. He's definitely just depth at this point, but I didn't see any glaring mistakes from him.

He should definitely be making more plays than he is though.

I thought fangupo looked excellent. He was going against back ups, but he looked better that Earl to me. Besides the play where he tackled the rb on the dump off, he was man handling their center. He showed good movement for a guy his size too.

Lots of complaints about Yates, but that group he was playing with sucked.

Trindon is back on the bubble. Those mistakes can be game changers.

If Alan ball makes this team it'll be a travesty. He is awful.

Keo might make them keep 5 safeties. Hes improved.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #214
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

It is going to be a tough call on who makes the team. A lot of the bubble players bring something to the table that makes me think twice about wanting to see them cut. 10 players will be cut by Tuesday, if my counting is correct (and there are no guarantees there), and then another 22 before the start of the season. Look at the roster, and find 32 players to cut- it's pretty tough, I dont envy the FO this year.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #215
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I Look at the roster, and find 32 players to cut- it's pretty tough, I dont envy the FO this year.
I don't think it's that tough. I really like the Texans top 40 or so players. The back end of the roster? Not so much. I actually think the Texans will bring in 2 or 3 guys who are cut from other teams.
Old 08-26-2012   #216
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think it's that tough. I really like the Texans top 40 or so players. The back end of the roster? Not so much. I actually think the Texans will bring in 2 or 3 guys who are cut from other teams.
I agree that there is a definite sense of top 40, but then it is picking out the last 53 that is difficult. I could definitely see a couple rejects brought in, but at the same time I could see Smithiak being comfortable with who they have on the roster at the current time. It is just so fluid right now, I have a hard time saying one thing or another will happen.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #217
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Alan Burge's blog

Quote:
Taking a stab at the Texans 53 man roster

Roster cuts are coming. The Texans must reduce their roster to 75 players on Monday and to 53 by Friday afternoon.

There are always going to be a few surprises during cuts but this one seems fairly straightforward. There are some obvious questions which we'll get to in a minute.

Last season the Texans roster settled in at 5 wide receivers, 9 offensive linemen, 3 tight ends (Casey being considered a fullback), 2 fullbacks, 3 running backs, 3 quarterbacks, 6 defensive linemen, 8 linebackers, 11 defensive backs, and 3 kicking/long snapper specialists

These numbers aren't cast in stone of course and can fluctuate depending on injuries and other situations but it's a reasonable model for estimating purposes.

So here's my semi-dusty crystal ball look at what the Texans roster and practice squad might look like one week from today:
http://www.examiner.com/article/taki...-53-man-roster
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #218
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

26 is pretty damn old for a drafted QB. I'm not really sure what the confusion is he was born in 1981 same as Schaub. Not only is he old, he's just not good.
Old 08-26-2012   #219
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I had to laugh at one thing he said. He said he hasn't seen consistent special from Holliday. C'mon, if the guy doesn't want him to make the team then fine, but that was an idiodic statement. He's made a big return in every game. Patrick Peterson returned 4 or 5 punts for touchdowns last year and he's looked at with Hester as the best in the game. A guy isn't going to return every kick or punt he fields for a touchdown. Some people need to have realistic expectations. Martin is looked at to be the next in line to be our returner. Martin with the 2 fumbles last night. Just something to think about.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #220
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

53 man roster

Qb-Schaub,Yates

Rb-Foster,Tate,Forsett

Fb-Casey,Norris

Wr-Dre,Walter,Jean,Martin,Posey,Holliday

Te-Od,Graham

Lt-Dbo,Gardner

Lg-Wade smith

C-Meyers,Jones

Rg-Caldwell,Brooks

Rt-Newton,Butler

Cb-J-Joe,Kareem,Harris,McCain,Mcmanis,Ball

Fs-Gq,Nolan

Ss-Manning,Demps

Mlb-Cush,James,Dobbins,Alexander,Sharpton

Olb-Barwin,Reed,Mercilus,Braman,Nading

De-Watt,Antonio,Crick,Jamison,Browner

Dt-Cody,Mitchell

K-Graham

P-Jones

Practice Sqaud-Rb-Grimes,Qb-Keenum,Wr-Maehl,Og-Shelly Smith,Ot-Mondek,S-Keo

Think Donnie jones has replaced Bret Hartman at punter and I hope Sharpton comes back by wk.4 or 5 at the latest Maybe we keep Fanguopo if Cody isn't ready

Last edited by Bleed_Blu_Red; 08-26-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read