Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2012   #1
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

Post your opening day 53 man roster prediction here.

With the discussion in the Trycycle Holliday thread and how other positions may affect his chances as well as others , its time to start a final roster thread.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

This is a tough call at this point. We've got some pretty epic battles going on: at RB, at WR, Trindon, LB. Even Beck made a pretty good argument for making the squad in that first game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is a tough call at this point. We've got some pretty epic battles going on: at RB, at WR, Trindon, LB. Even Beck made a pretty good argument for making the squad in that first game.
I dont disagree , just think its worth throwing it out there , we can always change our minds as time goes on.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck -- Keenum on PS
RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett -- Try to get Grimes on PS
FB: Casey, Norris
WR: AJ, KW, KMart, Jean, Posey
TE: OD, GG, Brock
LT: DB, Butler
LG: Smith, Smith
C: Myers, Jones
RG: Caldwell, Brooks
RT: Newton

DE: Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick
NT: Cody, Earl, Fangupo
OLB: Barwin, Reed, Braman, Mercilus
ILB: Cush, James, Dobbins, Alexander
CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, Ball
S: Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan

LS: Weeks
P: Jones
K: Bullock

---
The guys I think are borderline are Ball, Fangupo, Brock, and Norris.
Old 08-13-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

QB: Schaub, Yates
RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett, Grimes
FB: Casey, Smith
WR: AJ, KW, KMart, Jean, Posey, Trindon
TE: OD, GG
LT: DB
RT: Butler, Newton

OLB: Barwin, Reed, Braman, Mercilus, Nading
CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael

Notable Practice Squad players: Megget, Keenum, Louiseau, Keo, Pleasant, Mondek, Mario Louis, Logan Brock
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Notable Practice Squad players: Megget, Keenum, Louiseau, Keo, Pleasant, Mondek, Mario Louis, Logan Brock
Believe Keo was on the active roster for too many games (10) last year to be ps eligible.
Old 08-13-2012   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, well getting to 55 is easy, it's those last two that make it tough. I think Holliday can make this team if he plays error free through the preseason. He obviously has the acceleration and straight-line speed needed to be a great kick returner, but he can't make mistakes like he did last preseason. I'm giving him the WR #6 spot in my 53 man roster instead of Bryant Johnson. He's certainly worth that much if we carry 6 WRs.

I have it split evenly 25 offense, 25 defense, 3 STs players.

Quote:
QB Matt Schaub - T.J. Yates - John Beck

RB Arian Foster - Ben Tate - Justin Forsett

FB James Casey - -

TE Owen Daniels - Garrett Graham -

LT Duane Brown - Andrew Gardner -

LG Wade Smith - Kasey Studdard -

C Chris Myers - Ben Jones -

RG Antoine Caldwell - Brandon Brooks -

RT Rashad Butler - Derek Newton -

WR1 Andre Johnson - Keshawn Martin - Lestar Jean

WR2 Kevin Walter - DeVier Posey - Trindon Holliday

DE J.J. Watt - Tim Jamison -

DT Shaun Cody - Earl Mitchell - Ra'Shon Harris

DE Antonio Smith - Jared Crick -

SLB Brooks Reed - Bryan Braman - Jesse Nading

ILB Brian Cushing - Mister Alexander -

ILB Bradie James - Tim Dobbins -

WLB Connor Barwin - Whitney Mercilus -

LCB Kareem Jackson - Alan Ball - Brandon Harris

RCB Johnathan Joseph - Brice McCain -

SS Danieal Manning - Quintin Demps -

FS Glover Quin - Troy Nolan -

LS Jon Weeks

K Randy Bullock

P Dahnte Jones

Offense: 25
Defense: 25
Special Teams: 3

Total: 53
Quote:
Practice squad
1 QB Case Keenum
2 SS Shiloh Keo
3 WR Jeff Maehl
4 RB Jonathan Grimes
5 CB Roc Carmichael
6 OT Nick Mondek
7 OG Thomas Austin
8 LB Shawn Loiseau
If anyone wants a Google spreadsheet with all the players, here's a link to mine: LINK.

I leave the 90 man roster on the first sheet and copy the players to the second, then delete the names I don't want. The functions at the bottom of the second page add up the players in each column to help keep track of the numbers. Just make sure you copy everything into the right column/row and it will work fine.
Old 08-13-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Believe Keo was on the active roster for too many games (10) last year to be ps eligible.
Dang....I didn't realize he was on the active roster for that many games....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #9
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I cheated and used TPN's roster as a template and added my changes. I'm glad we get to leave this fluid as I'll be changing my mind time and again.

QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck
RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett
TE: OD, GG, (Casey)
LT: DB, Newton (swing)
RT: Butler, Newton (swing)

NT: Cody, Earl, Ra'Shon Harris
CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, T. Williams

PR/KR: Holliday

PS: Case Keenum, Davin Megget, Loni Fangupo, Eddie Pleasent, D.J. Bryant, Shawn Loiseau, Derrell Smith, Nick Mondek

Ghost IR : Grimes

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #10
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum makes the 53-man over Beck.

If Schaub is healthy, Beck can be released. He's not a valuable asset to anyone else. If Schaub is injured during the regular season, Beck will still be on the street for re-hire. You put Keenum on the practice squad, and he will be a Packer or Viking, etc. etc.

Everyone has seen two years of Beck and knows what his limits are when the excrement hits the impeller (and you're in a regular season game). Keenum, at this point, has a much higher "potential" ceiling..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

If Schaub is healthy, Beck can be released. He's not a valuable asset to anyone else. If Schaub is injured during the regular season, Beck will still be on the street for re-hire. You put Keenum on the practice squad, and he will be a Packer or Viking, etc. etc.

Everyone has seen two years of Beck and knows what his limits are when the excrement hits the impeller (and you're in a regular season game). Keenum, at this point, has a much higher "potential" ceiling..

TJ
I tend to agree. I was trying to put my HC Kubiak hat on. I can see Case being the third as well but Kubiak stated he was pleased with the way Beck played. A couple of weeks from now we'll know. 2 1/2 weeks, tops.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Right now, I've got Beck ahead of Keenum.

Prior to TC, I said that Beck only gets on the 53 if Keenum either stinks it up OR Matt goes down.

At this point, though, I think Beck's got a better control of the offense than Keenum. Keenum's going to have to kill it to make the 53. I expect him to go to the PS.
Old 08-13-2012   #13
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

TJ
I'm not sure teams see him as having a high ceiling. He was'nt drafted. If some team has an injury or two at qb you don't go and get the undrafted rookie, you go after the mediocre backup with some experience.
Old 08-13-2012   #14
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck
RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett
TE: OD, GGraham
LT: DB, Butler
RT: Newton

CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, McManis, Carmichael

K/PR: Holliday
Old 08-13-2012   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Bolded players have descriptions of why I chose them over other players.

QB: Schaub, Yates, KEENUM
RB: Foster, Tate, GRIMES
FB: Casey, NORRIS
TE: OD, GG, (Casey)
LT: DB, Newton (swing)
RT: Butler, Newton (swing)

WHY KEENUM:
In the end, Kubiak will go with Keenum on the active 53. After last year's situation of being short on QBs...with how TJ rose the occasion as a rookie wet-behind-the-ear, Kubiak will want Keenum on the active 53 to become as ready as Keenum can be IF he is needed.

WHY GRIMES:
The guy is electric. Forsett might have the early lead, but as preseason progress, I think Grimes impresses so much that he cannot be denied a roster spot. With veterans like Tate and Foster ahead of him, Grimes is a rookie who can sit and watch and might get reps in certain situations. I like the guy.

WHY NORRIS:
I cannot see Kubiak relying on a FB like Smith--new to the position--when so much is needed this season from the FB position. Norris is not a world beater at his age, but he is going to be battle-tested and that's what Kubiak needs: A guy who has seen it all, and is reliable every time out of the gate.

DE: Smith, Watt, JAMISON or CRICK
NT: Cody, Earl, Ra'Shon Harris
ILB: Cush, James, Dobbins, LOISEAU or ALEXANDER
CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, McManis

DE CHOICE:
If Crick struggles with injuries, he'll get cut. Period. Preseason is about reps, and Crick is that ghost I.R. just waiting to happen...then he comes back next year and gets another crack at it with us. Jamison has the lead, IMO.

ILB CHOICE:
Loiseau has a shot if he performs in preseason and shows ST skills, too. I think Alexander has the lead here, but Loiseau has that "it" factor that might be too hard to resist by Wade Phillips

K: GRAHAM
PR/KR: HOLLIDAY

WHY GRAHAM:
Like I stated with the FB choice, I just do not think Gary Kubiak can let the 2012 season's kicker job rest upon a rookie. If that rookie spirals out of control early on, he's done. We're done. It can be so disastrous for a well-built team to watch a field goal kicker shank kicks and possibly lose games. If somebody claims him, fine. But Graham should get the nod IF he performs solidly in camp. Go with the veteran on something this big.

WHY HOLLIDAY:
I don't really like it, but it will end up happening. Kubiak will not want a quality Safety like D. Manning risking himself on return duties in 2012.
Old 08-13-2012   #16
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
I'm not sure teams see him as having a high ceiling. He was'nt drafted. If some team has an injury or two at qb you don't go and get the undrafted rookie, you go after the mediocre backup with some experience.
Keenum had other offers as an UDFA and chose the Texans.
I didn't see anyone other than us clamouring for Beck.

You only put Keenum on the practice squad if you think he can't play, because if you do -- he's gone..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keenum had other offers as an UDFA and chose the Texans.
I didn't see anyone other than us clamouring for Beck.

You only put Keenum on the practice squad if you think he can't play, because if you do -- he's gone..

TJ
Case Keenum will not be on a 53 man roster in week 1.
Old 08-13-2012   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Case Keenum will not be on a 53 man roster in week 1.
There is another financial aspect here. Beck has enough years in the league such that if he is on the roster on day 1 then his full salary becomes guaranteed. Hire him on day 2 and nothing is guaranteed.
Old 08-14-2012   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is another financial aspect here. Beck has enough years in the league such that if he is on the roster on day 1 then his full salary becomes guaranteed. Hire him on day 2 and nothing is guaranteed.
Damn.

They just have to go and make stuff even more complicated.
Old 08-14-2012   #20
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if we could save a roster spot by teaching Ben Jones-C to do the long snapping. He's going to be on the roster as backup Center, why not have him take care of the long snapping duties and save a valuable roster spot. In the past a long snapper was needed because a team didn't want to risk injury to a starting Center playing on special teams. But since the rule changes a few years ago about not letting a defense line up over the top of the Center on special teams plays and just crush the guy, you don't see injuries to Centers on special teams that much anymore. It would also allow Ben Jones to add a skill and get a little playing time.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read