Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2012   #121
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Holliday's chances at making the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
He looked lost? He didn't even play. He got hurt early in preseason.
He played the first three preseason games and looked hesitant.
Old 08-19-2012   #122
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He played the first three preseason games and looked hesitant.
Wrong! We played the Saints the second game of the preseason and he dropped two kicks because he had a hurt hand. That was his first significant action his rookie year.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #123
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wrong! We played the Saints the second game of the preseason and he dropped two kicks because he had a hurt hand. That was his first significant action his rookie year.
He was placed on injured reserve two days after the third preseason game against the Cowboys.

I hope he continues as he has done this year and makes the team but I am not going to revise history. He looked bad up to getting injured.
Old 08-19-2012   #124
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was placed on injured reserve two days after the third preseason game against the Cowboys.

I hope he continues as he has done this year and makes the team but I am not going to revise history. He looked bad up to getting injured.
Did he play the Cowboys game? He's been hurt a lot since he's been here. But to say he's been bad is is far fetched. I really am curious about the Cowboy game. I don't think he played. And I know he only got 1 or 2 returns the first preseason game his rookie year.
Old 08-19-2012   #125
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Did he play the Cowboys game? He's been hurt a lot since he's been here. But to say he's been bad is is far fetched. I really am curious about the Cowboy game. I don't think he played. And I know he only got 1 or 2 returns the first preseason game his rookie year.
Link - I wasn't the only one who was unimpressed with him as a rookie.
Old 08-19-2012   #126
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Link - I wasn't the only one who was unimpressed with him as a rookie.
You didn't answer my question. So were you wrong or not? Did he play 3 games his rookie year?
Old 08-19-2012   #127
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Still doesn't make any sense to me. The better player should be on the roster.

We aren't discussing who we think is the better player right now. We are talking about the role practice squad eligibility plays on the decision making.

Makes no sense to me to cut a guy you think is better than the guy you keep simply because he's ps eligible.

If the late round draft pick o lineman, mondek, is better than who ever is in front of him would you like to see him cut too since he's ps eligible?

What about Lestar Jean? If he is better than Bryant Johnson would you like to see him cut since he has ps eligibility and bj is a vet?

I seriously don't get that line if thinking. Makes 0 sense to me.

PS eligibility should not be a part of the decision making process. Just keep the better player. Keep the guy you think will be more beneficial to your team.
for me it would depend on what role the "roster making player" is expected to fullfill. If we are debating 2 guys at end of roster, I might not select the "better" of the two. PS eligibility could well play a role.
Old 08-19-2012   #128
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Holliday makes the team he will seriously hurt our offensive stats...taking it back to the house all the time and forcing us to KO straight back to their O.

But in seriousness, if he continues as he has started this pre-season, and considering the investment they've put into him, he's got to make the team. You can't turn away that sort of game-changing talent and its something we've missed for a long time right now.

A good returner can win you a couple of games a season that you may have otherwise lost.

I'm sure there are a few plays that could be worked in on offense to take advantage as well, surely someone of Kubiak's ability can design something to get him an open lane to the endzone once in a while with his speed.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #129
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
You didn't answer my question. So were you wrong or not? Did he play 3 games his rookie year?
I can't find any stats. The Cowboys game appears on his game log. All I can tell you was I was very hopeful for him as a rookie and like others was disappointed. He appears much better now and I hope he makes the team. I am not slagging him at all.
Old 08-19-2012   #130
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

From our March 25, 2010 mock (Rmartin65, Beerlover and Badboy):

Round 6B: LSU KR Trindon Holliday, 5’5” 166 lbs

Another repeat from our earlier mock, Holliday has done nothing to dispel our belief in him. He is a lightning fast player, running an official time of 4.34, but several stopwatches had him below Chris Johnson’s magic mark of 4.24. In addition to blazing straight line speed, Holliday possesses excellent change of direction ability. He is very hard to tackle despite his size, as he can be hard to spot, and hard to get good body positioning on. One of Holliday’s best attributes is his “feel” for the kick return game. He knows how to find the crease and go. He could do a better job using his blockers though. Holliday should get a handful of plays on offense, due to his incredible speed. The occasional screen or vertical route would keep the opposing defense honest. In addition, Holliday would make for an excellent decoy. He has good enough hands to make him a legitimate receiving threat. He is not a track guy playing football; he does not shy away from contact.
Old 08-19-2012   #131
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty happy with Holliday's return game now, not just the TD scoring returns, but his whole body of work. He looks like a completely different player than he did last year. I also appreciate the fact that he is displacing Daniel Manning at the kick return spot, and reducing his exposure to big hits. I would much rather see Holliday taking those hits and using energy to run the ball, rather than Manning. I hope he makes this team now as a return man and a WR6 in case some one goes down during a game. He might even have some use in the run game in the way we have seen Kmart used.
Old 08-19-2012   #132
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I can't find any stats. The Cowboys game appears on his game log. All I can tell you was I was very hopeful for him as a rookie and like others was disappointed. He appears much better now and I hope he makes the team. I am not slagging him at all.
Understood..... The only game I remember him playing was against the Saints that year and he had a rough day. But I also think our expectations for him were too high. I'm in that group too so i'm not singling anyone out. The guy needed some time. Sometimes it just clicks for players. I've been impressed with him on all of his returns thus far. Its refreshing to see someone not dancing on punt returns and take what he can get.
Old 08-20-2012   #133
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point it is hard to see him not making the team. You can't convince me that he is not going to get at least an extra 5-10 yards on most returnable kicks/punts. Even if he gets an extra 5 you are looking at an extra 30-35 yards/game that is more than your 5th receiver will net you. If he manages to break 2 for TDs this year then that is, again, more than you expect from wr5.

Granted it is only 2 preseason games but it is still 2 tds in 2 games. That is 2 TDs without doing the JJ lose ball flail.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #134
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dat speed!!! Use him at RB like the Saints use Sproles and give defenses headaches.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #135
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts on Holliday:

Trindon Holliday, the Texans roster and specialists: A discussion

Contains info not found many other places.
Old 08-21-2012   #136
SCOTTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Dat speed!!! Use him at RB like the Saints use Sproles and give defenses headaches.
I love that he ran down the 49ers sideline... Gave them all a great view.
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #137
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTexans View Post
I love that he ran down the 49ers sideline... Gave them all a great view.
Unless they blinked.
Old 08-25-2012   #138
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Mark my words, the Titans front office is praying we cut Holliday right now after their kr/pr just got hurt. Do we really want to see him twice a year with our ability or lack thereof to kick the ball through the end zone?
Old 08-25-2012   #139
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mark my words, the Titans front office is praying we cut Holliday right now after their kr/pr just got hurt. Do we really want to see him twice a year with our ability or lack thereof to kick the ball through the end zone?
Jacoby had quite one lives, Holliday probably does, too.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #140
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
Jacoby had nine lives, Holliday probably does, too.
Fixed.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read