Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2012   #61
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Holliday's chances at making the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Honestly, I don't want to see Martin out there returning kicks at all... I want us to work him strictly as a receiver. He has way too much potential to be getting hurt running back a kickoff or a punt.
Exactly.

Which is why I suggest putting Grimes as RB4 AND using him as returner.

If he gets hurt, all we lost was a UDFA fourth string RB. If he stays healthy, we have a guy with good moves returning the kicks/punts AND we have an emergency RB who wasn't risked at the waiver wire trying to get him to our PS.

Seems to be the most prudent thing to do, if we're playing the odds...and the odd say that the Texans always have injuries at the critical positions.

But I'm under no illusions this can happen. Apparently there are those in the Texans decision-making realm (Kubiak, Marciano, heck even maybe the GM himself) who are bound and determined to make Trindon Holliday our newest pet project #1. We've seen this song and dance before.
Old 08-13-2012   #62
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Interesting that you mention qb.

I think it's more than likely that we keep three, but is there a chance Kubiak's reverts to his carry 2 philosophy?

I think its very possible we end up with only Yates and Schaub on the active roster with Keenum on the PS .... That gives them maximum roster flexability , Keenum would still be in house and able to perform the same duties he would now in practice.

Then again , if he shows too well the rest of preseason , they wont have the luxury of stashing him on the PS for fear of someone signing him away.

Quote:
I doubt it, but I could see a case for it. If you don't trust beck or keenum to come in and continue to help us win games then there really is no need to have them in the roster. Also, if you think Yates is one if those durable types if guys I could see it. But with schaubs health history I just don't think it's likely at all.
Schaubs health is the big factor here .... But I do believe Yates to be a durable guy. He took some pretty big shots last yearand got right back up without hesitation. Freak accidents can still happen tho ....

Quote:
Plus kubiak has pretty much said they'll carry three.
He's been a bit wishywashy on this from what Ive heard .... It could really go either way.

I dont see Beck sticking FWIW.

[/quote]
RB and o line are tricky.

For the o line I'd only carry 9. The starting 5, and four versatile back ups.

RB, I'd carry three, four max. The lb position might be shaved down some. I like nading, but he could be odd man out.[/quote]

OL is a tricky position because of the versatility of some of the backups - Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks specifically , each can play two or more positions , meaning you might get away with only 8 OL instead of 9. Would I count on that scenario .... not sure at this point.

RB they have an embarrassing wealth of talent , Foster and Tate obviously the creme of the crop while Forsett , Grimes and Meggett all have potential at the position and have the ability to play ST .... I'd only keep three but could see a scenario where they keep four.
Right now , I have no idea who would win that third roster spot. Its just too close to call.

WR is another position where they could go anywhere between 4 to 6 deep. I think its probable they keep five - AJ , KW , Martin , Posey and Jean.

LB is going to be a hard one to call as well and I think you may be right that Nading is going to be the odd man out. Then again , he does a lot on ST and that may keep him on the roster.
(how many LBers did they keep last season? 9 or 10)

Barwin , Reed , Braman , Mercilus , Cushing , James , Dobbins , Alexander - I think are locks with Sharpton and Nading on the bubble.

I'll start a thread on the final 53 for opening day , that may give us further insight.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #63
macho grande
Veteran

Section: thin air up here
Rep Power: 2875 macho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep Holiday. Cut Maehl.
macho grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #64
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho grande View Post
Keep Holiday. Cut Maehl.
Cut alligator arm boy? Surely you jest.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #65
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

I think it depends on who are the last guys remaining. If he keeps playing like he did Saturday, then I'd give it a 80% chance he makes it. It doesn't even need to be TD's either, just good returns. He had two or three returns from at least 5 yards deep in the end zone, and got us passed the 25 both times. He keeps doing that, he'll be on the 53 man.
Old 08-13-2012   #66
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Just go with four RBs, have Grimes be the returner. Roster problems solved.

I don't want a return-only guy on the roster. I want the roster maximized, and holding a spot in the 53 for a return man is not prudent...whether Holliday is legit or not.

He untested. And now is not the time to test it out.

The same with Bullock. There isn't room for us to test out a rookie FG kicker. If Graham makes his kicks this preseason, give me the veteran who has been there done that. There's no room to experiment anymore.

But if Holliday makes the 53, I'll support the decision and rally 'round him. I just think we need every person the roster to be a guy who is contributing via his talents (Foster, AJ, the stars)...or via their versatility (Casey at TE and FB, Grimes at RB and KR, Brooks at multiple OL positions).

This is just a ridiculous idea, you're basically saying that rookies are useless and you prefer veterans. If the guy is a game changer than keep him and decide on another guy down the list who could go to PS or just be cut.

Regardless we are deciding prematurely. Let him finish the next 3 games and see how he does.
Old 08-13-2012   #67
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I can see him being a gunner on punts too. Mostly to down Hartmans punts. I wonder if he can outrun his boomers

So KR/PR, WR6, Special Teams gunner. should be good enough to make the team

Last edited by Brandon420tx; 08-13-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2012   #68
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which is why I suggest putting Grimes as RB4 AND using him as returner.
Grimes has never returned punts, so you would still need to use someone (like Martin) in that capacity.

Forsett has NFL experience as a kick and punt returner. He would make more sense than Grimes.

I'm a little baffled about the concern regarding Grimes. He's an UDFA. He gained 36 yards in a preseason game. There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't be stashable on the practice squad. And even if the remote possibility that Grimes was claimed on waivers proves true, he's still a 4th string RB who probably wouldn't have gotten many touches (if any) this season. Don't get it.
Old 08-13-2012   #69
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Grimes has never returned punts, so you would still need to use someone (like Martin) in that capacity.

Forsett has NFL experience as a kick and punt returner. He would make more sense than Grimes.

I'm a little baffled about the concern regarding Grimes. He's an UDFA. He gained 36 yards in a preseason game. There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't be stashable on the practice squad. And even if the remote possibility that Grimes was claimed on waivers proves true, he's still a 4th string RB who probably wouldn't have gotten many touches (if any) this season. Don't get it.
I think grimes is going to be really good. Jmo.

I think if we lose Tate in free agency in two years or if we trade him grimes would be an excellent back up for Arian.

I don't want to lose him and I think he is the type if back that can excel in any system but I think he can be really good in our system.

Of course he needs to go out and prove it, but that's jmo. I think his ceiling is a bit higher than forsetts so if it came down to it, grimes is who I'd keep. But I have no idea what the team thinks about the situation.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #70
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think if we lose Tate in free agency in two years or if we trade him grimes would be an excellent back up for Arian.
That's 2 years from now. A slew of backs can come through the organization in that time. And I still haven't heard an explanation as to why Grimes is in danger of being picked up off waivers. Arian Foster was on the practice squad for for 10 weeks in 2009, and no team touched him. Just doesn't happen often.
Old 08-13-2012   #71
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's 2 years from now. A slew of backs can come through the organization in that time. And I still haven't heard an explanation as to why Grimes is in danger of being picked up off waivers. Arian Foster was on the practice squad for for 10 weeks in 2009, and no team touched him. Just doesn't happen often.
That's true but Malcom Sheppard AND his Dad were ripped from our PS by the Tits!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #72
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really don't care about the ps debate. I thought we should have put yates on the ps last year and felt like he'd have been safe so I understand your point.

But I think grimes is just a flat out good rb and I like how he runs more than I like Forsett.

And I like Forsett, so it's not a knock on him. I'm just a big grimes fan.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #73
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That's true but Malcom Sheppard AND his Dad were ripped from our PS by the Tits!
Yes, losing New Texan to the Titans stung.
Old 08-14-2012   #74
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was before anybody thought Gary Kubiak knew anything about finding a good RB. Up until that point, Gary's accomplishments at finding RBs was limited to guys such as Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Steve Slaton. Foster and Tate have radically changed how people view our RB scouting skills.

Now all eyes are on Houston. If we have a guy on our current roster and cut him, hoping he gets sent to the PS...other teams are going to seriously think that we're trying to stash another future Arian Foster. They can get a guy like Grimes right off the waiver wire, or...any team can make an offer and sign that player off of our own PS (if they want to put that RB onto their own starting roster, of course). The junk that's out there, combined with how well the Texans have identified RBs, it's a perfect storm for a guy like Grimes to slip away on accident.

Quote:
I really don't care about the ps debate. I thought we should have put yates on the ps last year and felt like he'd have been safe so I understand your point.

But I think grimes is just a flat out good rb and I like how he runs more than I like Forsett.

And I like Forsett, so it's not a knock on him. I'm just a big grimes fan.
I had nothing to go on with Grimes, other than college highlights, so my first view of him in his first preseason game vs. what I saw of Forsett tells me that Grimes is the more electric, the more dynamic runner of the two. The hip wiggle, the bounce, and the burst Grimes displayed (not to mention his vision and picking the right holes and angles) made me a believer.

Of course, a spotty effort in the remaining preseason games can change that opinion.
Old 08-14-2012   #75
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been pulling for this guy and I'm glad to see him shine. even if it's for one pre season game. I would hate the thought of having to play against him, much less if he were picked up by our division foes....cheers to Pee Wee Holliday!!!!
Old 08-15-2012   #76
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want him to stay hungry and focused. With his speed and quickness he's going to make plays. Focusing on securing the ball and setting up his blocking are 2 things that are gonna be huge for him. A lot of fast return guys don't have the patience necessary to be great as a return man.
Texn4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #77
Lucky

Quote:
Now all eyes are on Houston. If we have a guy on our current roster and cut him, hoping he gets sent to the PS...other teams are going to seriously think that we're trying to stash another future Arian Foster. They can get a guy like Grimes right off the waiver wire, or...any team can make an offer and sign that player off of our own PS (if they want to put that RB onto their own starting roster, of course). The junk that's out there, combined with how well the Texans have identified RBs, it's a perfect storm for a guy like Grimes to slip away on accident.
So the Texans merely signing Grimes has enhanced his status in the league? Well, they signed Forsett, too. Maybe they can get a 3rd round pick for him? I mean, he was good enough for the Texans to sign, and he has been sprinkled with the Texans magic RB dust.

Seriously?
Old 08-16-2012   #78
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Holliday deserves some love for this awesome return. He's pretty fast when he's not on the tricycle.

Old 08-16-2012   #79
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Holliday deserves some love for this awesome return. He's pretty fast when he's not on the tricycle.

Braman looks like he's just floating along right before Holiday hits pay dirt. Also Cedric Smith is right there with him. I wonder if he may get the nod over Norris at backup FB. Highly unlikely, but I like the kid. Way better than the converted LB Abbate from a couple of years ago.

I think Holiday gets his crack this year. He needs to have a Mathis/Davis year though to keep his spot on the roster for the duration. Poor guy has the deck stacked against him though after the new kickoff rules. Which is way I can't stand the new rules. Boys become men with some electrifying returns in the NFL.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
That was before anybody thought Gary Kubiak knew anything about finding a good RB. Up until that point, Gary's accomplishments at finding RBs was limited to guys such as Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Steve Slaton. Foster and Tate have radically changed how people view ...
So on the one hand, we can't afford a roster spot for the guy Marciano hand picked, or a rookie kicker, but on the other hand we need to invest that same roster spot ln Kubrick's diamond in the rough.

I'm not getting it. If we trust that Kubrick has a knack for finding these guys then so what if someone snatches him off the practice squad. Jeremiah & Ogbadala were those guys & we''ve done fine since then.

I like Forsett & would hate to lose him just as much as Grimes. Grime has ps eligibility, Forsett doesn't. I'd roll the dice & see what happens

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read