Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2012   #21
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Holliday's chances at making the team

74%.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #22
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I say he is a bubble player, but he gets the green light in my opinion. The pre-season will be important for him, but he is a huge threat with the ball in his hands.
Well yeah.... Pretty much this!!
Old 08-12-2012   #23
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
It would really be nice to keep Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy but with only 53 roster spots it's hard to justify keeping a guy that can't do anything else.
We kept Jacoby Jones on the roster for years, and he couldn't catch passes and couldn't return punts or kickoffs.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #24
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Weak argument in my opinion. What you want to see is someone make plays no matter who they're going up against. Again, you're focusing on something different than me. His ability impressed me more than the actual results.
i dont see how thats not a good agrument. This is the NFL, we have seen A LOT of players with tons of "college" potential not succeed in the NFL. I'm not saying he wont be a big success, but you cant crown him king of KR/PR after 1 game against a poor coverage team.

And yes you want to see a player succeed against ALL competition, not just weak opponents. What good is a QB who can only make the throws needed if it is against the worst of the worst secondaries.
Old 08-12-2012   #25
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It would really be nice to keep Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy but with only 53 roster spots it's hard to justify keeping a guy that can't do anything else. We'll see over the next few weeks if he can catch the ball and MAYBE we keep him as WR#6, if we carry that many. Hopefully he'll improve at WR. I agree it would be nice to allow Keshawn to concentrate on WR only. We'll see, but I'm not sure that Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy, is a luxury we can afford. I also fear the first time a 2nd or 3rd string LB opponent fighting for a roster spot on his team and trying to impress the coaches lays a massive hit on Trindon. I wonder if he'll get up.
This! ^^^

It will be very difficult, IMO, to keep Holliday as purely a KR/PR. Has anyone seen him take any reps at WR, and how has he looked? With our concerns at WR, I'd expect the Texans to keep 6 on the roster. AJ & Walter are for sure. Hard to see them not keep Jean, Martin, and Posey. That leaves Maehl, Johnson, and Holliday for that last 6th spot. Maehl is probably the best special teams player of the group, Johnson gives us experience we desperately need, and then there's Holliday. It'll be a tough battle.

With the moving up of the kickoff line, KRs are less important. IMO, in a regular season game, Holliday won't be taking alot of those kickoffs out of the end zone.

Personally, I'd like to see Martin get some reps as the returner. If Holliday is that much better, then I'm for keeping him... but that means cutting Johnson and Maehl, which I'm ok with.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Marciano does'nt sound convinced.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...not-be-enough/

That was noted by special teams coach Joe Marciano on Saturday, but with reservations.

“Let’s not anoint him just yet,” he said of Holliday. “He’s a big talent with a lot of room to grow. The touchdown was great, but …”

Then Marciano started a point-by-point dissection of some things Holliday could have done better on his other returns, ending with, “I’ll know better when I see the video.”

As Holliday said, it’s a big year for him to get attention. And, for better or worse, it’s starting early.

“It’s an intense job,” he said. “You just have to concentrate and do the best you can,”

Keith Cannon is a freelance writer.
Funny, he wouldn't have mentioned that the blocking for Holliday wasn't there all night and that Holliday made most of what he got. The only positive thing I could say about the return blocking.........there weren't any signature Marciano special teams blocks in the back last night.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If we keep Holliday we lose a young WR. Need to see more before making that choice.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2012   #28
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
We kept Jacoby Jones on the roster for years, and he couldn't catch passes and couldn't return punts or kickoffs.
Not sure you can quote your self...but I was high on Jacoby when he first started returning...as soon as he got the ball, he was upfield. I think it was 2007 Week 3 against the Colts when he got blasted running up the sideline after a 74yd punt return in the middle of the 3rd quarter. He left the game for x rays and I believe he missed a game with an injured shoulder and then was nursing it over the next few games too. Something in my head always points back to that hit as the down turn in his return career. He was balls to the wall before that decleater, and then after that, he seemed to dance and go 75% on nearly every return. But then again, if I'm a starting WR, maybe he sand bagged a little so he wouldn't lose his WR job...or just continued shell shock from that hit. It could be the same thing for Holiday...JJ set our expectations in the 2007 preseason. I believe that after that blast against the Colts, his approach changed. Granted, he did have some nice returns, but nothing like what I think he could have been. Same could be said about Holiday, he's got all the potential, and we saw it in college, and then saw the muffs "possibly" from the hand injury last year and he didn't make the squad. Hopefully he can keep it up.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #29
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see consistently good returns and good decisions for the next two games. Ultimately, if the Texans keep 6 wideouts and their confident in the other 5 guys he has a shot to make the roster.

It sucks but I think his chances to be here hinge on how much they trust posey, martin, and jean.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It would really be nice to keep Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy but with only 53 roster spots it's hard to justify keeping a guy that can't do anything else.
Not really. You're keeping a starting kick returner over a 3rd string WR, CB, or LB. Who is going to have more of an impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
If we keep Holliday we lose a young WR. Need to see more before making that choice.
More likely losing a vet WR (Bryant Johnson). You could cut a Bryant Johnson now, and find another just like him (if not Johnson, himself) any week of the season. No biggie.

Can Holliday consistently field punts without muffing? Can he hold on to the ball after taking a big hit? Can he stay healthy? If the answer to these questions are "yes", Holliday can make the team. Roster space has little to do with the decision.
Old 08-12-2012   #31
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty much exactly the way it is.

Kubiak said himself he wants to use Holliday as a returner. Seems like he's made up his mind as long as #16 can hold up his end. I like what I watched on punts and KOs.

Three more PS games to go. Guess we'll all see about the same time.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #32
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
u must not of seen J.J when he came out of college. IF he can translate college success to the NFL and be a good returner on a consistent basis than hell yeah, but you have to earn a roster sopt. 1 Pre season game and one KR dont do that. If we can use that spot for another good prospect at WR then the decesion isnt so easy.
The only thing I saw jacoby jones do was fumble and run to mama
Old 08-12-2012   #33
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak loves his projects. I say he's got a pretty good shot because we likely can't stash him on the PS anymore.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #34
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Not really. You're keeping a starting kick returner over a 3rd string WR, CB, or LB. Who is going to have more of an impact?

More likely losing a vet WR (Bryant Johnson). You could cut a Bryant Johnson now, and find another just like him (if not Johnson, himself) any week of the season. No biggie.

Can Holliday consistently field punts without muffing? Can he hold on to the ball after taking a big hit? Can he stay healthy? If the answer to these questions are "yes", Holliday can make the team. Roster space has little to do with the decision.
Best post in this thread.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #35
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I also think it's telling that a guy like Joseph would go out of his way to go celebrate with him in the end zone. Don't doubt one bit that the players on the team aren't excited about how electric he is.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #36
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Kubiak loves his projects. I say he's got a pretty good shot because we likely can't stash him on the PS anymore.
I would not call this one Kubiak's project, to me it's more of a Coach Joe's project. Coach Joe was the one that got on the table to draft the kid.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[cough] *Alan Ball* [cough]
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #38
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone loves an underdog.

Trindon scoring the kickoff TD was like Rudy getting into the game for Notre Dame. Everybody roots for the underdog.

Honestly, I'd like a full season off from hyped-up special teams returners. It takes one dumbass muff to ruin everyone's year.

Honestly there's been ONE return guy in this team's history who had reliable hands. He never took one to the house, but in two years here he returned 117 kickoffs, returned 72 punts, and fumbled one time out of those 189 touches on returns.

His name was JJ and it didn't stand for Jacoby Jones...it was JJ Moses.

Trindon has a helluva job ahead of himself if he wants to impress GP. To me, JJ Moses is the role model...you didn't have to worry about him hosing us with muffed or careless punts/kickoffs.

Trindon is like 1 inch into a mile long journey...people need to slow down.
Old 08-13-2012   #39
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You're mostly right but roster space has a little more to do with the decision in this case because we do have a viable returner on the team in Manning if all goes to heck. We are as balanced of a team as we ever have been. Versatility has been a big Kubiak theme. Holliday's going to have to catch some passes or do some successful end rounds. I can't see him sticking if he can't do something else good.

Just a FWIW, I like Holliday a whole bunch. I hope he makes the team. I think he's a playmaker.
Old 08-13-2012   #40
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

As mentioned in another thread, I'm hoping to see Holliday lining up as a WR next weekend. If he does, and does not make an ass of himself, he's got a real good shot at making the team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read