Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2012   #161
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st preseason evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
That would of been completly imposible. No way anyone could of predicted that without peyton the same colts team that was a perennial superbowl contender would have the worst record in the league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Which was what my point was.
Not to get into the argument but once Manning was down everyone I know was predicting they were the worst team in the league.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #162
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1876 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRaven View Post
I didn't focus on any individual O-linemen, but it seemed like the right side run blocking was very good with the 2nd teamers. I know that included Newton because I saw him do some good things on occasion, but I assume that means Brooks was doing well also. I don't remember what kind of pass protection we had. Anyone focus on the O-line play specifically that could give a grade on some of these guys? It's the O-line battle that interests me the most this pre-season.
1st string B
2 string A-
3 string B-
Remember that I saw Caldwell Newron and Butler all in with every string.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #163
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't think either of you watch much football, other than the Texans then.

Anybody who thought the Colts would succeed with Curtis Painter at QB and Manning out for a season...I just truly don't get that train of thought. LOL.

Anyways, it's time to move on. Remember???
Anybody who was watching last year knows Kerry Collins was the intended starter until going on IR. You might have noticed him - he was the QB against the Texans on opening day. Then in the first two weeks their already mediocre at best D lost two starters to IR. Your conspiracy theory on this stuff is whack. As rmartin has ably pointed out there is no way the coaches and GM were in on any such plot.
Old 08-13-2012   #164
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Not to get into the argument but once Manning was down everyone I know was predicting they were the worst team in the league.

Mike
That's how I remember it as well but I don't know about worse team in the league bad.

BUT, I visited the Colts message board quite a bit and their own fans largely seemed to believe they'd win more than they did. 8-8 seemed to be about the low end of the specturm of predictions for them.

But I don't understand this talk of the colts tanking or of them not building a good team. They went to the superbowl 2 times and won once. I hope we can be that bad one day.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #165
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Anybody who was watching last year knows Kerry Collins was the intended starter until going on IR. Then in the first two weeks their already mediocre at best D lost two starters to IR. Your conspiracy theory on this stuff is whack.
True but everyone knew that if they couldn't get up by 2 scores early that their defense was going to get demolished. They were built around Peyton's offense.

Once Peyton was gone they were done.

Mike

Old 08-13-2012   #166
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True but everyone knew that if they couldn't get up by 2 scores early that their defense was going to get demolished. They were built around Peyton's offense.

Mike
Done in what sense?

Not being superbowl contenders? Well of course.

Done as in struggle to win 2 games...I don't think many people thought they'd be THAT bad...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #167
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am not saying anyone thought they were going to do well without Manning. That team was built entirely around him. In fact what I am saying is the exact game total may have been lower than initially expected but it didn't take any mass tanking conspiracy to get where they ended.
Old 08-13-2012   #168
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I am not saying anyone thought they were going to do well without Manning. That team was built entirely around him. In fact what I am saying is the exact game total may have been lower than initially expected but it didn't take any mass tanking conspiracy to get where they ended.
Hell, one of their two wins last year was against the Texans. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #169
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we please discuss the Colts in the NFL forum?

On the Schaub interception, I chalk that up to a well timed CB blitz that the Carolina D made a play with. Sometimes you can't help it if the defense makes a good play.

What I really wanted to see out of Schaub was how much zip was on his passes, if his mechanics were any different and if he was less mobile than before. Honestly he looked like the same old guy, just with a lot of time missing since last we saw him. There was some mental rust but I think physically he looked pretty decent. Hoping the Doc can come in and give his analysis on if he was favoring a foot while throwing or if his balance looked off or if there were any indicators that Doc could pick up on that us normies can't.
Old 08-13-2012   #170
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

The right side of our offensive line was terrible in pass protection. Butler got beat several times and allowed QB hits. Brown looked great in contrast. We really need to figure out what to do at RT, because it looked like the weak link on the line that game.
Old 08-13-2012   #171
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Done in what sense?

Not being superbowl contenders? Well of course.

Done as in struggle to win 2 games...I don't think many people thought they'd be THAT bad...
Done as in a 3 or 4 win team at best. They were already vunerable with Manning at the helm, without manning they were going to be one of the worst teams in the league. Their defense was built to rush the passer once they got ahead. They had made a lot of bad personnel decisions that was masked by having one of the best QBs of all time. Collins wasn't going to save them, he might have made them watchable but he wasn't going to win games.

Mike

Old 08-13-2012   #172
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Do you remember at what time he came into the game? I might go back and watch it again and wouldn't mind seeing if I agree with your assessment.
He came in with the twos (end of 1st) and played into the 4th quarter,I believe.

I know the numbers are difficult. However, this guy is a starter caliber player (and a good one), IMO. The Texans may not keep a 4th OT (they may use Brooks or Wade Smith as the 4th, so that would open up some room). Still, from what I have seen, I would cut Jones or Brooks (I know they wont) before Shelley Smith, if he has a healthy preseason.
Old 08-13-2012   #173
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
He came in with the twos (end of 1st) and played into the 4th quarter,I believe.

I know the numbers are difficult. However, this guy is a starter caliber player (and a good one), IMO. The Texans may not keep a 4th OT (they may use Brooks or Wade Smith as the 4th, so that would open up some room). Still, from what I have seen, I would cut Jones or Brooks (I know they wont) before Shelley Smith, if he has a healthy preseason.
Jones played a lot of snaps as well after Myers was done for the night and I thought he was decent enough.
Old 08-13-2012   #174
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

In the past, Kubes has gone with 3 tackles and a couple stuffed on PS. I expect us to go with Brown on the LHS and Newton on the RHS with Butler being a swing tackle.

When I put my 53 together, I had us keeping Brooks and Jones because they're draft choices. Although I think Brooks could step in at RT in a pinch. And then my last OL was Shelley. I think he's going to stick. He's being given the chance to make a case for himself, I think, much like Trindon. He's just got to step up and perform.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #175
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1876 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
The right side of our offensive line was terrible in pass protection. Butler got beat several times and allowed QB hits. Brown looked great in contrast. We really need to figure out what to do at RT, because it looked like the weak link on the line that game.
Butler actually looked pretty good. Don't know where you got that.
Old 08-13-2012   #176
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Butler actually looked pretty good. Don't know where you got that.
Well for starters on the Schaub INT, the DE ran right past him and had a direct hit on Schaub. On the other side of that play, Brown tied up his DE just fine, but a CB blitz came around his edge to sandwich Schaub. I don't think Butler even touched his guy before he got to Schaub.

On the Foster fumble play, he completely whiffed on his cut block. That forced Foster more towards the left side so he could avoid the guy Butler missed. Not saying the fumble was Butler's fault, but it's obvious where the O-line was making the lane and he didn't help.

Several of the early runs on the goalline failed because the right side collapsed. It was pretty obvious that this is going to be a problem down the road for us.

He looked below average to me, but I also don't think we have any better tackles on the roster.
Old 08-13-2012   #177
The Medic01
Veteran

Quote:
Well for starters on the Schaub INT, the DE ran right past him and had a direct hit on Schaub. On the other side of that play, Brown tied up his DE just fine, but a CB blitz came around his edge to sandwich Schaub. I don't think Butler even touched his guy before he got to Schaub.

On the Foster fumble play, he completely whiffed on his cut block. That forced Foster more towards the left side so he could avoid the guy Butler missed. Not saying the fumble was Butler's fault, but it's obvious where the O-line was making the lane and he didn't help.

Several of the early runs on the goalline failed because the right side collapsed. It was pretty obvious that this is going to be a problem down the road for us.

He looked below average to me, but I also don't think we have any better tackles on the roster.
He whiffd one block he took his man out of the play on the other and he had a goal Line mistake which is one fixable with more time with the rest of the blockers. I don't see how this spells doom after one preseason game.
Old 08-13-2012   #178
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
He whiffd one block he took his man out of the play on the other and he had a goal Line mistake which is one fixable with more time with the rest of the blockers. I don't see how this spells doom after one preseason game.
Where do you get "doom" from? You're reading way too much into my comments if you think I said that. I said he was the "weak link" and that "it will be problem for us". If you call that "doom", then you're overreacting. You know, it is possible to criticize performance without going to the extreme. The guy has been in the league for 6 years now, so I expect more from him than what I think are rookie-type mistakes.

Anyways, there were other plays that he screwed up, but I'm not at home to look at them on the DVR. Those were the few I could see on the highlights at NFL.com. He was only in for about 15 snaps, which is a small sample size, but still needs to be considered.
Old 08-13-2012   #179
The Medic01
Veteran

Quote:
Where do you get "doom" from? You're reading way too much into my comments if you think I said that. I said he was the "weak link" and that "it will be problem for us". If you call that "doom", then you're overreacting. You know, it is possible to criticize performance without going to the extreme. The guy has been in the league for 6 years now, so I expect more from him than what I think are rookie-type mistakes.

Anyways, there were other plays that he screwed up, but I'm not at home to look at them on the DVR. Those were the few I could see on the highlights at NFL.com. He was only in for about 15 snaps, which is a small sample size, but still needs to be considered.
Also look at how most teams have 2-3 Oline weaknesses it looks like we really only have 1 at this point so above average.
Old 08-13-2012   #180
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Also look at how most teams have 2-3 Oline weaknesses it looks like we really only have 1 at this point so above average.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read