Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2012   #101
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
They got rewarded for being so bad at making a team. They have Payton Manning who single handedly gets them to the playoffs for 10 years straight. Then he leaves then they suck then they just somehow manage to the number 1 overall pick in a year with the best QB prospect since get this. The last QB they picked #1. Some franchises just get lucky. (pun intended)With our two number 1 picks we got David Carr and Mario Williams. One who sucked and the other just a slightly above average player.
I feel the same way.

That's why I think the worst three teams should be in a lottery to get picks 1 through 3.

Until then, a team like the Colts will intentionally bomb every game but 1 or 2 in order to get the overall top pick.
Old 08-12-2012   #102
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st preseason evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I feel the same way.

That's why I think the worst three teams should be in a lottery to get picks 1 through 3.

Until then, a team like the Colts will intentionally bomb every game but 1 or 2 in order to get the overall top pick.
Ridiculous. Were the Texans bombing every game when we went 2-14? Teams suck sometimes. It happens. That Colts team was awful, and everyone knew it as soon as Manning left.

Fans just like conspiracy theories though. As a hockey fan, every year I see the same thing around the draft. And there is a lottery! It does not help that much, except occasionally screw a bad team

For example, this past year the Blue Jackets sucked hard. They always suck, but they were the worst team in the league this year. Thanks to the lottery, they did not get the 1st overall pick but the second. And the team who won the lottery picked 1st overall for the 3rd season in a row.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #103
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Re-watching the game. I need to add that Dobbins played a hell of a game. I have no worries if he needs to step in and play major snaps.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #104
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
speaking of goofy stuff, I hate, HATE, hate the new rule that every turnover is reviewed. They are stopping the flow of the game and reviewing stuff that nobody would question, ever. I've seen fans all over the league booing every time this happens. Fixing stuff that doesn't need fixing is one trait of Commish Roger
I'm thinking this is a preseason thing. Once they get the hang of it, there will likely be a call/buzz from upstairs if there is anything questionable to look at after a TO. I remember people complaining about the same thing last preseason on the scoring plays (all of them were reviewed), but once regular season started, they mostly only reviewed the ones I wanted reviewed.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #105
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I'm thinking this is a preseason thing. Once they get the hang of it, there will likely be a call/buzz from upstairs if there is anything questionable to look at after a TO. I remember people complaining about the same thing last preseason on the scoring plays (all of them were reviewed), but once regular season started, they mostly only reviewed the ones I wanted reviewed.
Well, the thing is that if there's a review on every turnover then the refs should stand around pulling their puds and letting the teams get lined up before realizing they have to do a review. They should just hustle and get their butts over to the peep show and get it over with as soon as possible.

Granted, it would be better if a Review Official looked over the replay and then buzzed down whether to go ahead and play or whether the ump should take a look but either way, it doesn't need to take as long as it has been.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #106
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

anyone have a dl link to the game?
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #107
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well, the thing is that if there's a review on every turnover then the refs should stand around pulling their puds and letting the teams get lined up before realizing they have to do a review. They should just hustle and get their butts over to the peep show and get it over with as soon as possible.

Granted, it would be better if a Review Official looked over the replay and then buzzed down whether to go ahead and play or whether the ump should take a look but either way, it doesn't need to take as long as it has been.
Yep. Like the annoncers joked. It took 5 minutes to put 3seconds back on the clock.(think it was after the Schaub int)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2012   #108
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Ridiculous. Were the Texans bombing every game when we went 2-14? Teams suck sometimes. It happens. That Colts team was awful, and everyone knew it as soon as Manning left.

Fans just like conspiracy theories though. As a hockey fan, every year I see the same thing around the draft. And there is a lottery! It does not help that much, except occasionally screw a bad team

For example, this past year the Blue Jackets sucked hard. They always suck, but they were the worst team in the league this year. Thanks to the lottery, they did not get the 1st overall pick but the second. And the team who won the lottery picked 1st overall for the 3rd season in a row.
But with a lottery system it's still left to chance, not an AUTOMATIC GIMMEE that you get the first pick in the draft.

You need your head examined if you think a team like the Colts deserved to be able to trash their whole damn season and end up with the best QB prospect since the last damn time they got the best QB prospect.

What the Colts did last year, by starting a hack QB for all but a handful of games...led by a hack head coach who stood there like a good little boy and watched it all fall apart (like it was designed to do, btw) was beyond unethical. Yet they get rewarded with the top pick.

There has got to be a way to make the draft less likely to be gamed. And the Colts sure as hell gamed it the whole way. Oh well, what goes around comes around. Something will happen that will cost the Colts one way or another, consistently, because those sorts of dick moves always backfire in the end.

But to say so defiantly that a lottery system is wrong, when we have the greatest reason WHY a lottery system is better than just handing a gift to the "worst" team based on record alone, is what is ridiculous. That ball might have bounced for the wrong team three times-in-a-row but that's the ball bouncing and not a gimme draft pick year in and year out. And that counts for something. It should keep teams honest and show them that it's not a given that they'll get the top pick. Increase their odds? Yes. A gimmee pick? No.
Old 08-12-2012   #109
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet you hated the rockets then
Old 08-12-2012   #110
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

So what is there to challenge now?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #111
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
But with a lottery system it's still left to chance, not an AUTOMATIC GIMMEE that you get the first pick in the draft.

You need your head examined if you think a team like the Colts deserved to be able to trash their whole damn season and end up with the best QB prospect since the last damn time they got the best QB prospect.

What the Colts did last year, by starting a hack QB for all but a handful of games...led by a hack head coach who stood there like a good little boy and watched it all fall apart (like it was designed to do, btw) was beyond unethical. Yet they get rewarded with the top pick.

There has got to be a way to make the draft less likely to be gamed. And the Colts sure as hell gamed it the whole way. Oh well, what goes around comes around. Something will happen that will cost the Colts one way or another, consistently, because those sorts of dick moves always backfire in the end.

But to say so defiantly that a lottery system is wrong, when we have the greatest reason WHY a lottery system is better than just handing a gift to the "worst" team based on record alone, is what is ridiculous. That ball might have bounced for the wrong team three times-in-a-row but that's the ball bouncing and not a gimme draft pick year in and year out. And that counts for something. It should keep teams honest and show them that it's not a given that they'll get the top pick. Increase their odds? Yes. A gimmee pick? No.
I dont think they tanked. Just look at the team's roster- it sucked. Could they have won more games? Possibly. But the bounces did not go that way. Caldwell was actually a decent coach, setting a rookie coach record in wins his first year.

Someone has to come in last. It was the Colts last year. It just sucks for us because we go from seeing Manning twice a year forever, to seeing Luck (who, while just a rookie, looks hella good) twice a year forever. But **** happens.

That said, I am not saying that a lottery system is stupid. All I am saying is that it does screw legitimately bad teams, and it does not reduce accusations of tanking.
Old 08-12-2012   #112
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Complete/incomplete passes. And ball placement.
Old 08-12-2012   #113
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I don't know.. just NFL rules now says they have to review every turnover.

I think it sucks the way they are doing it. A big play just happened and momentum swings a bit with emotions high and then both teams have to wait aprox 2-3 minutes (if not more) for the review to be confirmed that a TO took place.
Old 08-12-2012   #114
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm a little more worried about Schaub than I figured I'd be. I didn't like his decision to throw that ball under pressure and when did Gary start smoking crack?
I didn't like it either but I'll give him that it's been 8 months. What I liked seeing was how he's still got the roll out down ice cold. He's certainly appeared a little slower but still faking everybody out as if the injury never happened. Honestly, he got hit solid a couple times and I kind of liked that. Infantrycak said it best when he talked of his focus and determination. Schaub really is the quintessential professional when it comes to keeping it together. I think that gets underrated about him.
Old 08-12-2012   #115
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I dont think they tanked. Just look at the team's roster- it sucked. Could they have won more games? Possibly. But the bounces did not go that way. Caldwell was actually a decent coach, setting a rookie coach record in wins his first year.

Someone has to come in last. It was the Colts last year. It just sucks for us because we go from seeing Manning twice a year forever, to seeing Luck (who, while just a rookie, looks hella good) twice a year forever. But **** happens.

That said, I am not saying that a lottery system is stupid. All I am saying is that it does screw legitimately bad teams, and it does not reduce accusations of tanking.
Caldwell was a horrible head coach.. (and hell never be given that title again) just ask any Colts fan. He was spineless, had zero leadership, and stood on the sidelines with a deer in headlights expression for the entire season (ala 2005 Capers, but worse). He was so bad he got a HOF GM fired. The guy was just a figure head who was along for the ride and when Peyton went down the bus crashed in the ditch.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #116
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Caldwell was a horrible head coach.. (and hell never be given that title again) just ask any Colts fan. He was spineless, had zero leadership, and stood on the sidelines with a deer in headlights expression for the entire season (ala 2005 Capers, but worse). He was so bad he got a HOF GM fired. The guy was just a figure head who was along for the ride and when Peyton went down the bus crashed in the ditch.
Even if that is the case (I wont claim to be an expert on NFL coaching. Maybe decent was overselling him, but he was hardly the worst coach of all time), it is not like Caldwell was brought in to sink the Colts' season so they could land Luck. He had been the coach for 2 years, years where they made the playoffs. Their star player, the player they had built their team around, went down, and they sucked. It would happen to just about any team.
Old 08-12-2012   #117
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 351224 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

• Foster arrived in Carolina but he left his brain in Houston. Cut off his outlet pattern, nice run but stripped. No biggie yet.
  • Schaub looks like he's going to play a bit scared in close quarters. A few plays I saw a kinda "hot potato" get-rid-of-the-ball reaction to feeling defensive pressures. Will monitor that.
  • Mix up on set or pattern between Schaub/Lestar/KeyMart in the red zone -- looked like it was on Lestar.
  • KJ nice technique/coverage on Steve Smith at the goal line.
  • J.Jo got beat off the line in red zone, but Cam missed the throw.
  • James Casey & Garrett Graham two very nice blocks to spring Trindon on the return TD. Panthers #81 almost caught him.
  • We'll be seeing end-arounds with KeyMart this year. (Never liked end-arounds for some reason.)
  • Schaub's INT -- looked like he expected Foster to curl left in front of the LB & Foster curled right? Stood in there well, took the hit.
  • Carolina O-line just looks lost in pass pro multiple times.
  • Middle of the 2s O-line good run blocking. Ben Jones looks the part.
  • TJ doesn't lead KeyMart in end zone. Missed chance.
  • Mercilus looks like a cat ready to pounce. Nice technique on the sack.
  • Braman playing everywhere, fighting/scuffling ... takes nothing off anyone. He's better.
  • Alan Ball playing the receiver all the way again & again. Sure penalty. Should've been coached up by now. Better against the run.
  • Coach Wade chewing on Coach Vance & officials.
  • Maehl alligator arms. Came back with first down catch over the middle.
  • Garrett Graham, nice game. Took a gut shot & held on, then 20 yard pattern reception, then first down.
  • Lestar looks better against the 2s & 3s.
  • Butler pass pro looks a bit questionable.
  • Casey playing too late into the game. Bench time, coach.
  • Brooks has good feet. Needs work, but he has the tools.
  • Fangupo makes a play chasing down backside screen! Almost gets the sack Braman got. Recovers a fumble. He's got some quick.
  • Tossup between Forsett & Grimes. Rather Grimes at the goal line. The kid has talent.
  • Cody White needs a smaller helmet or tighter chinstrap.
  • Coach Kubiak sweatin' everything down to the last play. Raising the bar, imo.
  • Bullock needs about 8 more yards of carry on kickoffs. Kicks a slow spinning ball, knuckles a bit. 52 yarder might win him the job right there.
Overall a good start against a bad team.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #118
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
They got rewarded for being so bad at making a team. They have Payton Manning who single handedly gets them to the playoffs for 10 years straight. Then he leaves then they suck then they just somehow manage to the number 1 overall pick in a year with the best QB prospect since get this. The last QB they picked #1. Some franchises just get lucky. (pun intended)With our two number 1 picks we got David Carr and Mario Williams. One who sucked and the other just a slightly above average player.
Some franchises get lucky? I guess. And other franchises pick David Carr instead of Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney. We could have been lucky too, if we were better at evaluating players.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #119
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
And of course, Luck's very first pass is a TD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
He just threw another one. Looks like they upgraded at qb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I don't know how good or bad the Ram defense is, but the Colts offense in the first pre-season game of the year looks likes old days when Manning just took them up and down the field. I'm not liking this at all. Frickin' Luck looks good, considering all the dropped balls by his recievers.
Don't be overly impressed.
Remember the Rams finished 2-14.
They were in the bottom half (22 I think) in total D, 25th against the pass, 27th or so in scoring D, and 31st against the run. They fired last year's D coordinator and hired Greg Williams ...and he probably won't see an NFL sideline again. Well, not as long as Sheriff Goodell is around.

I'd say the Colts & Luck went up against the equivalent of our 2s or 3s.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #120
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Don't be overly impressed.
Remember the Rams finished 2-14.
They were in the bottom half (22 I think) in total D, 25th against the pass, 27th or so in scoring D, and 31st against the run. They fired last year's D coordinator and hired Greg Williams ...and he probably won't see an NFL sideline again. Well, not as long as Sheriff Goodell is around.

I'd say the Colts & Luck went up against the equivalent of our 2s or 3s.
Homer spin? I was extremely impressed. Dude was more than "as advertised".

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read