Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2012   #81
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st preseason evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Along the same line, and I'm not sure if a seperate thread is needed for this, but what did yall think of our division rivals play? I was not at all impressed with either the Titans or Kittens in their first game. The Dolts are on TV in about 20 minutes. I expect them to suck even worse.
I was surprised at how bad the Titans looked. CJ looked totally spent. Hasselbeck was making some crazy decisions.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #82
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I was surprised at how bad the Titans looked. CJ looked totally spent. Hasselbeck was making some crazy decisions.
CJ's got his money.
Old 08-12-2012   #83
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
CJ looks done. He got his contract and he will never be the same (perhaps this is wishful thinking...but he doesn't strike me as a high character dude). Titan wr's are awful and their QB play was weak. They looked like an expansion team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #84
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

And of course, Luck's very first pass is a TD.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #85
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Even less impressed with scab refs.

HE'S SAFE!!!!!!!!
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #86
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

speaking of goofy stuff, I hate, HATE, hate the new rule that every turnover is reviewed. They are stopping the flow of the game and reviewing stuff that nobody would question, ever. I've seen fans all over the league booing every time this happens. Fixing stuff that doesn't need fixing is one trait of Commish Roger

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #87
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I thought Matt looked really good out there. Was patient, was accurate. I think the INT was more of a not really wanting to get hit and risk getting hurt during pre season kind of throw. But overall i though Schaub looked about as good as i have ever seen him !
Gonna disagree with that.

To me he looked like a guy with zero mobility and he knew it. To me it looked like he panicked a little at the slightest sign of pressure.

Now I noted that the o line needs some work on the straight drop back pass pro, but I thought it was clear that Matt was not playing at the same level that he had in the past.

But that's to be expected and I think he will get better as we go a long.

But to me he looked even less mobile in the pocket avoiding pressure and on his roll outs. But it's a little confusing because it also seemed like his balls had more velocity on them than last year.

I'm not concerned with his decision making as much as I am with what looked like to me was even less mobility. He looked like the proverbial "statue in the pocket" to me.

O line is going to need to block better, marts gonna have to learn to go fetal and always be aware of who is coming.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2012   #88
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
speaking of goofy stuff, I hate, HATE, hate the new rule that every turnover is reviewed. They are stopping the flow of the game and reviewing stuff that nobody would question, ever. I've seen fans all over the league booing every time this happens. Fixing stuff that doesn't need fixing is one trait of Commish Roger
I agree. I can understand controversial calls but having a review on every turnover is overkill. If there is no question on the turnover then there is no need to review it.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #89
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My thoughts on the red zone woes:

Remember that we had a TD with Yates/Martin but the CB for the Panthers barely nicked the ball (fluke play, actually). That was 6 points right there, but the ball was just an inch too close to the inside and gets deflected.
Yates also hit Casey on a sweet (albeit risky) throw. That's a pass that Casey can and probably would normally catch.

I'm not worried about red zone offense.

Arian wasn't out there much and he is Mr. Red zone.
Old 08-12-2012   #90
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yates also hit Casey on a sweet (albeit risky) throw. That's a pass that Casey can and probably would normally catch.

I'm not worried about red zone offense.

Arian wasn't out there much and he is Mr. Red zone.
You can't always rely on your RB in the RZ.......18 yds vs 9 yds vs 3yds. Somehow, someone is going to have to learn to run and work the fade.........successfully. Last several years, too many forced down the middle (of the EZ) scarey TD attempts.
Old 08-12-2012   #91
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
CJ's got his money.
So has Arian.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #92
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Nice shot carry on.
Old 08-12-2012   #93
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You can't always rely on your RB in the RZ.......18 yds vs 9 yds vs 3yds. Somehow, someone is going to have to learn to run and work the fade.........successfully. Last several years, too many forced down the middle (of the EZ) scarey TD attempts.
Honestly that would be preferable, but I don't think schaub has the arm to be a consistently good red zone passer.

But we've had this red zone problem in the past, but it was before Arian was the rb. I think Arian is good running the ball down there but I also believe he opens up those over the middle passes you don't like because those lb's crowd the LOS to stop him which opens up space behind them.
Old 08-12-2012   #94
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
And of course, Luck's very first pass is a TD.
He just threw another one. Looks like they upgraded at qb.
Old 08-12-2012   #95
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Hey just threw another one. Looks like they upgraded at qb.
Well, the Colts are certainly more impressive than the Titans or Jags so far. Completely the opposite of what I expected.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #96
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Colts may have 2-3 years in a 25 year period where they don't have an elite QB....
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #97
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how good or bad the Ram defense is, but the Colts offense in the first pre-season game of the year looks likes old days when Manning just took them up and down the field. I'm not liking this at all. Frickin' Luck looks good, considering all the dropped balls by his recievers.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #98
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Colts may have 2-3 years in a 25 year period where they don't have an elite QB....
They got rewarded for being so bad at making a team. They have Payton Manning who single handedly gets them to the playoffs for 10 years straight. Then he leaves then they suck then they just somehow manage to the number 1 overall pick in a year with the best QB prospect since get this. The last QB they picked #1. Some franchises just get lucky. (pun intended)With our two number 1 picks we got David Carr and Mario Williams. One who sucked and the other just a slightly above average player.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #99
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly that would be preferable, but I don't think schaub has the arm to be a consistently good red zone passer.

But we've had this red zone problem in the past, but it was before Arian was the rb. I think Arian is good running the ball down there but I also believe he opens up those over the middle passes you don't like because those lb's crowd the LOS to stop him which opens up space behind them.
I certainly can see your point. But those middle EZ passes have had their share of consequences.
Old 08-12-2012   #100
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet Wade Phillips is scared of Andrew Luck. I can see Wade now, crying and worrying about our matchup problems.

JJ Watt, likewise, is a nervous wreck. His confidence will take a big hit when he lines up opposite Luck.

The whole defense cringes at the idea of trying to stop Andrew Luck.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...our defense will play hard, and will play especially hard against Andrew Luck. He will not score easily. He will not have a perfect day. The overreaction squad should calm down, IMO.

We have an offense too. We're going to score points too. And all things equal, the Texans defense has the right stuff to rise to the challenge.

Facing a good QB makes you work hard in the reg season because we're going to face great QBs in the post season. It's better than trouncing your divisional foes and then wondering why we crap out in the first or second round of the playoffs.

Challenges make bad teams crumble.

Challenges make good teams better.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read