Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2012   #41
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st preseason evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm sorry, you must be confused, because you think I actually give a flying crap about what you think about my assessment. Try not being a ass again.
I think you had a fair assessment. Forsett cant be hidden on the practice squad however and grimes can. Probably will factor into any decision.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #42
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1442 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected

i was real impressed with Grimes, Martin, and Mercilus.

Ball sucked.
darnbni99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #43
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry, you must be confused, because you think I actually give a flying crap about what you think about my assessment. Try not being a ass again.
If you really don't care why bother responding?
Old 08-12-2012   #44
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I think you had a fair assessment. Forsett cant be hidden on the practice squad however and grimes can. Probably will factor into any decision.
That argument is only going to be legit for another game. If Grimes consistently produces the next three preseason games like he did tonight I wouldn't be surprised if Washington or another ZBS team snatches him before he has a chance of being on Houston's PS. The Texans coaches supposedly "love" Grimes so far; if true they won't risk losing him by placing him on their PS.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #45
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnbni99a View Post
Ball sucked.
Yup. The first penalty or so i wanted to give him the benifitt of the doubt because of the replacement refs but he was grabby and a step out of position. Reminded me a lot of jaq reeves because he seemed to know the ball was in the air but had no idea where it actually was. Hes a midseason injury fill in if need be but cut him now and give younger players with a higher ceiling the playing/practice time.
Old 08-12-2012   #46
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
That argument is only going to be legit for another game. If Grimes consistently produces the next three preseason games like he did tonight I wouldn't be surprised if Washington or another ZBS team snatches him before he has a chance of being on Houston's PS. The Texans coaches supposedly "love" Grimes so far; if true they won't risk losing him by placing him on their PS.
Possible but it wont be the skins that do it. Think seahawks instead. Keep in mind he was an undrafted free agent every team had a chance at. Grimes MIGHT be picked up; Forsett has no ps eligibility. No way we keep 4 rbs. I need to see more before I form a concrete opinion, but at this point grimes is a rung (or 2) below forsett even if this game displayed otherwise.
Old 08-12-2012   #47
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyways, did anybody notice the defenses blitzing a lot more than normal preseason games.?
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2012   #48
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Possible but it wont be the skins that do it. Think seahawks instead. Keep in mind he was an undrafted free agent every team had a chance at. Grimes MIGHT be picked up; Forsett has no ps eligibility. No way we keep 4 rbs. I need to see more before I form a concrete opinion, but at this point grimes is a rung (or 2) below forsett even if this game displayed otherwise.
In your mind. The coaches reportedly "love" Jonathan Grimes. If they think he's the third best RB on this team, then is it a reach to think they could keep him over Forsett? They could possibly keep Meggett on the PS as insurance if that happened.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #49
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
In your mind. The coaches reportedly "love" Jonathan Grimes. If they think he's the third best RB on this team, then is it a reach to think they could keep him over Forsett? They could possibly keep Meggett on the PS as insurance if that happened.
Theres been more tc buzz around forsett then grimes and hes listed as the #3 back on the depth chart. Clearly the coaches like him to. I essentially said i liked what i saw from grimes so i have no idea what your arguing about.
Old 08-12-2012   #50
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If you really don't care why bother responding?
???

hmm.. I really don't care. He told me to write another assessment. I responded to him, because I do not care enough about his opinion to do that. I also responded to him, because he was a immatue ass and felt like telling him so, I did care enough to do that. I mean what did he really offer to this thread? Here's a question though... why do you care why I responded, was either of our comments directed at you?

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-12-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #51
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't really blame Posey for making catches if he isn't getting targets.

Now if you look at the tape and he is getting no seperation or running wrong routes, then jump on him, but WR is heavily dependent on QB play.
Old 08-12-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think you are wrong to think that the texans are going to base their roster decisions on ps eligibility rather than talent.

If they think grimes can help them more he'll be on the team. Who cares that Forsett doesn't have ps eligibility if he isn't who they deem to be the better player.

Makes no sense that they'd risk potentially losing a guy for nothing that they think is a better player than the one they are keeping.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Also, I don't take anything out of the score, but I sure as hell did not enjoy seeing the team land on 16 points again. It's been far too common a theme the past few years that they go 1 of 4 and land on 16 points.
After the buzz of seeing actual football again wore off, I've had time to reflect and I have to agree with this.... Missed opportunities. One TD out of FOUR redzone trips is NOT acceptable for a team with SuperBowl dreams dancing in it's collective head. We need to do better. Turnovers from two of our "team leaders" is not acceptable either.

Ball has one week to get his act togethe or we should look for a replacement... a couple of those calls we're suspect so I'll give Vance Joseph a week to work with him.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #54
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sad only to see Holliday on returns, hope next week will feature him a bit at WR too.

All in all we're looking ok, but as many others have stated, there are obvious issues. Good thing is, it's preseason so now is the time to identify & fix those issues.
Old 08-12-2012   #55
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Not impressed with Schaub, but he's still rusty I suspect. Yates did a good job, with more time on the field in pre-season I'm not worried if Schaub is injured again. Case and Beck were decent against the other team's wanna bees.

Foster sucks, cut him! LOL. Foster will be fine and dominate this year, not worried about him. Tate is very good. As to the rest, it would appear Grimes stood out in the lot. It makes you wonder if Forset is going to even make the team. But this is only one pre-season game, we got a bit to go.

Lestar Jean and Keshawn Martin looked good enough to make me calm down just a tad about our WR debth problem. But I'm going to keep worring until proven otherwise.

Holliday looked good. He's going to have to really crank it up to make the team as just a return guy though. However, if he can do BOTH punt returns and kickoffs very well, Kubes might keep him around. I'd like to see him get a turn or two at WR though just to check him out.

Defense was impressive against a team they should have been impressive against. Carolina without Cam Newton is barely an NFL team, so they had better have looked good. Secondary is getting better. Well, except for Ball who sucks horribly. That man has worse control of his hands than a horny teen age boy on a date.

Glad to see Bullock make that 52 yarder. I'm pulling for him to make the team.

Over all, I was impressed by Holliday and the offense being able to move the ball between the 20s, but red zone woes just stank. Defense looks good for their first outing. They were killing their QBs. Ball sucks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #56
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ball sucked.
Yeah, he sucked balls.

It was the first game so I wasn't expecting much. I was encouraged by the WR group though.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #57
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i was real impressed with Grimes, Martin, and Mercilus.

Ball sucked.
First play I saw him defend I thought the Texans resigned Reeves from a couple years back. dude never turned his head to look for the ball.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #58
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Grimes >>> Forsett

He's stronger, more physical, plays with better leverage, and runs behind his pads. I'd keep him over Forsett. I thought meggett played better as well
Liked what I saw in Grimes as well,though I think Kubiak will stick with the Vet as the third back. Wonder if Kubes would carry 4 backs and list Grimes as a "FB" and put Megget on the PS...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #59
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lighten up Francis.

Ball was worked, ticky tack calls but they were still called. Has to step it up but I'm fearful he makes the roster and we'll get picked on. Mercilus looked good, although when dropping into coverage he looked lost. Has to get a better understanding of coverage if he wants to stay on the field more downs.

Grimes was average, taking advantage of a porous Carolina 3rd string defensive front. Butler got worked a few plays, this concerns me. Yates did a good job keeping plays alive. Schaub I didn't see enough of to evaluate, I think he'll be fine.

Arian... I hope he doesn't make this a trend. Things happen but I expect the best from our best.

Keyshawn Martin impressed. Needs to use his body in the endzone but overall a good day.

Jean looked fairly good too.

Brice McCain was hit or miss. We'll see.

Braman!!! Looked awesome on special teams and pursuing the run.

Keo, take a hike.

That's my assessment.
Old 08-12-2012   #60
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I feel our red zone will improve when Foster is in there. The difference between Tate and Foster last season in the red zone was significant.

Martin and Jean LOOKED GREAT. I was disappointed that Posey saw no reps with the ones.

Matt looked good he just needs more reps and Yates showed improvement (wish Schaub could take Yates mobility)

The defense (starters) looked great and our depth is a strength. Ball needs to be cut today.

Holliday is a BEAST

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read