Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 1st preseason evaluation

Give me your thoughts. It is hard to take it all in as many new numbers out there.

RBs all looked good except Foster's fumble. Channel 13s Spenser Tillman said he had a couple in practice. Tate awesome! Forsett looked darn good and seemed to be getting about 5 yards every carry.

Offensive blocking seemed pretty poor to me. Schaub knocking rust off.

Martin awesome as was Holliday. My concern with Trindon is I remember Kubes getting on Jacoby and he'd do good for one game then revert. We'll see. Other WRs did not stand out to me.

Graham at TE looked good but he did drop one ball when he saw LB coming.

Our kick offs sucked but coverage made up for it, mostly. Poor blocking on our returns as always but don't remember blocking in back penalties on us and that is an improvement.

LBs looked sharp but several plays our D had someone out of place it seemed.

Alan Ball looked like he interfered every play. He has got to do better or should get cut immediately to allow more snaps to others. Wade looks bad on this choice.

I was impressed by Keo who baled out McMannis on one play.

Finally, Brandon Harris and yes, I'll say it Kareem Jackson looked pretty good. I have Jackson and Joseph starting with Harris getting more plays behind all of them. Did anyone see Carmichael? I just remembered him.
Old 08-11-2012   #2
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st preseason evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Give me your thoughts. It is hard to take it all in as many new numbers out there.

RBs all looked good except Foster's fumble. Channel 13s Spenser Tillman said he had a couple in practice. Tate awesome! Forsett looked darn good and seemed to be getting about 5 yards every carry.

Offensive blocking seemed pretty poor to me. Schaub knocking rust off.

Martin awesome as was Holliday. My concern with Trindon is I remember Kubes getting on Jacoby and he'd do good for one game then revert. We'll see. Other WRs did not stand out to me.

Our kick offs sucked but coverage made up for it, mostly. Poor blocking on our returns as always but don't remember blocking in back penalties on us and that is an improvement.

LBs looked sharp but several plays our D had someone out of place it seemed.

Alan Ball looked like he interfered every play. He has got to do better or should get cut immediately to allow more snaps to others. Wade looks bad on this choice.

I was impressed by Keo who baled out McMannis on one play.

Finally, Brandon Harris and yes, I'll say it Kareem Jackson looked pretty good. I have Jackson and Joseph starting with Harris getting more plays behind all of them. Did anyone see Carmichael? I just remembered him.
One special teams tackle. That's it. Didn't see him make any tackle other than that.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think you're mistaking him for Maehl. I don't remember Graham dropping anything. He got a helmet in the gut catching it between three defenders, but did not drop one. Maehl short-armed one when he saw a LB coming.

Yates looks like he's maturing as a QB. It's still way early, obviously, so we'll see, but I have hope for the guy. Lestar Jean made a couple nice plays. Tonight is the first I've seen of Grimes and I liked what I saw. But then I liked all the RBs, so that's a tough competition.

The pass rush is going to be fierce. I am looking forward to that maybe more than any other piece of the game. I told my wife tonight I think I enjoy watching the Texans sack the QB more than any given TD.
Old 08-11-2012   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Also, I don't take anything out of the score, but I sure as hell did not enjoy seeing the team land on 16 points again. It's been far too common a theme the past few years that they go 1 of 4 and land on 16 points.
Old 08-11-2012   #5
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Ball was having problems with holding.
Officials need to reevaluate the taking a timeout for review every turnover....that is taking way too long.
Holiday may be small....but he has speed....speed kills and Special Teams Coach Marciano was raving about him 2 years ago.....coach was right....
Goal line offense needs to be be worked on....have got to get 7 instead of 3. Red Zone offense.....got to have that working better.....
Bullock has a leg.....52 yard field goal was strong.
Jean looked good so did Martin.
Foster needs to do have to walk around with a football all week everywhere he goes......and have teammate try and pull it from him.....
Tate, Forsett, Megget and Grimes.....all looked good.....real deep at rb.......

Deepest team in terms of talent......

rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #6
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

A few observations from tonight's game:

1. Jean & Martin looked good. Nice catches from both of them.

2. Posey really didn't. Did he record one catch tonight? Possible rust from not playing last year, but Jean/Martin are definitely ahead of him.

3. Grimes looked legit. I wouldn't risk him on the practice-squad.

4. Alan Ball played terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut tomorrow.

5. All four QB's looked good. I expected Schaub/Yates to, but Keenum/Beck did alright too.

6. Whitney Mercilus played good. He recorded a sack and he was in on a few other pressures also. Really impressed me.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #7
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Tonight is the first I've seen of Grimes and I liked what I saw. But then I liked all the RBs, so that's a tough competition.
He's a rookie...
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think you're mistaking him for Maehl. I don't remember Graham dropping anything. He got a helmet in the gut catching it between three defenders, but did not drop one. Maehl short-armed one when he saw a LB coming.ok thanks. that does ring a bell.

Yates looks like he's maturing as a QB. It's still way early, obviously, so we'll see, but I have hope for the guy. Lestar Jean made a couple nice plays. Tonight is the first I've seen of Grimes and I liked what I saw. But then I liked all the RBs, so that's a tough competition. Agreed but Jean did not look as good as I hoped. Maehl either

The pass rush is going to be fierce. I am looking forward to that maybe more than any other piece of the game. I told my wife tonight I think I enjoy watching the Texans sack the QB more than any given TD.
bolded.
Old 08-11-2012   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Ball was having problems with holding.
Officials need to reevaluate the taking a timeout for review every turnover....that is taking way too long.
Holiday may be small....but he has speed....speed kills and Special Teams Coach Marciano was raving about him 2 years ago.....coach was right....
Goal line offense needs to be be worked on....have got to get 7 instead of 3. Red Zone offense.....got to have that working better.....
Bullock has a leg.....52 yard field goal was strong.
Jean looked good so did Martin.
Foster needs to do have to walk around with a football all week everywhere he goes......and have teammate try and pull it from him.....
Tate, Forsett, Megget and Grimes.....all looked good.....real deep at rb.......

Deepest team in terms of talent......

Kubes needs to put Tate at #1 next game and watch Arian go to probowl. The two are healthy competitors and crank each other up. I'm not worried about Foster..yet. Yep Red Zone O sucked again.
Old 08-11-2012   #10
BigB0iFresh
Veteran

Rep Power: 1335 BigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Missed the game because of work. Anybody know where i can catch as replay?
BigB0iFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Grimes >>> Forsett

He's stronger, more physical, plays with better leverage, and runs behind his pads. I'd keep him over Forsett. I thought meggett played better as well
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB0iFresh View Post
Looks like NFL Network, Tuesday at noon.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Double post

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2012   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It airs again tonight at 12:30 am on channel 13.. reairs on NFLn on tue. at noon.
Old 08-11-2012   #15
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL Network is replaying it on Tue at noon. I set my DVR to record since we got stuck with the crappy local feed tonight.

edit to add: sorry for the echo in here LOL
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #16
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Great game overall...... no major injuries.

I like what I saw from our tight ends. Casey, Graham and OD all looked good. Anyone criticizing Posey needs to criticize Keenum and Kubiak first. Keenum missed him on a curl and Kubiak focused on the run game in the 2nd half. Butler's technique was terrible on a few plays. I really do think Newton is going to win the starting job.

Defense was solid. Mercilus is gonna be a beast. Kareem looked good. No first downs allowed in the 2nd half shows we have some serious depth.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #17
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic View Post
NFL Network is replaying it on Tue at noon. I set my DVR to record since we got stuck with the crappy local feed tonight.

edit to add: sorry for the echo in here LOL
I think they had the local feed on NFLN, but it might have been the Carolina one.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #18
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Alan Ball

Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #19
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Great game overall...... no major injuries.

I like what I saw from our tight ends. Casey, Graham and OD all looked good. Anyone criticizing Posey needs to criticize Keenum and Kubiak first. Keenum missed him on a curl and Kubiak focused on the run game in the 2nd half. Butler's technique was terrible on a few plays. I really do think Newton is going to win the starting job.

Defense was solid. Mercilus is gonna be a beast. Kareem looked good. No first downs allowed in the 2nd half shows we have some serious depth.
Fair enough. I was looking for him to make some catches and he didn't, while Jean/Martin looked good tonight.
Old 08-11-2012   #20
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's final play very disappointing - pressure and he made a poorly advised
pass which resulted in an interception.
And I saw one play where Butler got beat bad by a Panther reserve Lineman -
maybe Newt does start at RT against Miami ?
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read