Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-09-2012   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Preseason Watch, week 1: RGIII, Manning, and Mario

I signed up for the $20 nfl.com Preseason Game package, so I'll be watching the following teams this week: Redskins (RGIII), Broncos (Manning), and Bills (Mario) to see how those three players handle their first outing of 2012.

I will post comments here, sort of like a review of each of those three players.

I might also post some random thoughts on other guys, such as Brandon Weeden (Cleveland QB) among others who are noteworthy.

If anybody wants to sign up, please PM me. I get a reward for any person who signs up via a link I send them (it's a referral system by NFL.com).
Old 08-09-2012   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Preseason Watch, week 1: RGIII, Manning, and Mario

Got one poster here who PM'd me and signed up.

It's only $20, so that's essentially $5-per-week so that you can catch those players on other teams you are wanting to see in live action. A great way to start scouting for your FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT!
Old 08-09-2012   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Got one poster here who PM'd me and signed up.

It's only $20, so that's essentially $5-per-week so that you can catch those players on other teams you are wanting to see in live action. A great way to start scouting for your FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT!
I don't really see the point of this GP. Every season I watch all of the pre season games on NFL.com for free. I don't watch them live, but I get to watch the play backs, and it works great for FF, because I just fast forward back and forth between plays so I can see who I want to watch for FF purposes. I'm assuming that you are wanting to watch this stuff live and that's why you're paying.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Redskins at Bills:

Redskins get the ball.

1st Down: Run away from Mario at LDE, the LT got there first and Mario adds to the tackle. Minimal gain.

2nd down: Mario ran way past the RB who knifed past Mario.

Shotgun. RGII comfy, no real pressure, a deep out to the sideline was almost in bounds, but the receiver couldn't drag a second foot down. Would have been a first down. Ball placed exactly where it should be.

Punt to the Bills.

------

Bills punt

-----

1st down, run to the right. No room to run. Bills stuffing the run early.

2d down: Quick drop step by RGIII, quick out is complete and WR makes people miss. 9 yard gain.

3rd and 1: Power I, run up the middle, fumble, wouldn't have been a first down anyways.

Bills will take over at about the 20.

Field goal is good.

Score is 3-0 Bills so far.

-----

Redskins get the ball.

1st down: PA pass, pressure is in RGIII's face, he dips down throws the ball to the RB (nice looking forward pass, not a fluke flip pass) and the RB drops it as he (the RB) is also met by a Bills defender. Incomplete, but the ball was there.

2nd down and 10: Shotgun, RGIII looks off the secondary nicely and then zips it to Garcon for a about a 15 yd gain. Niiiice.

1st and 10 at 40: Skins run to their right side, at Mario, and Mario runs wayyyy around the end and outruns the run play (again) and a gain of 3 for the Skins to Mario's side. So far, Mario is either rat at the play or has outran it. Skins blockers are shoving Mario to the outside and then the RB is breaking it back to the inside to avoid Mario. (Executed over and over again in later plays of this series)

2nd and 7: PA pass and RGIII and Garcon, again, make an easy hookup over the middle. RGIII looks freaking awesome so far. Great footwork, looks confident, looking off the defense, making the throws. No bad throws yet.

1st and 10 at Bills 40: Huge run to the right side, about a 14 yard pickup as Mario is double teamed and moved wayyyy out of the way. They are running AT Mario, they are shoving him to the sideline and the RB is breaking it back inside when Mario is cleared to the outside.

1st and 10, another run AT Mario. Running back gains FOUR yards.

2nd at Bills' 23: Mario out of the play, again, but the RB is tracked down by the tackle. No gain.

3rd and 3 at about the Bills' 23: RGIII calls timeout as play clock runs down.

Play resumes after the timeout...RGIII throws a quick screen to Garcon to the side of the field opposite of Mario. Garcon gets an easy TD off the quick screen from about 20 yards out. Does a big flip into the air as he crosses the goal line.

7-3 Redskins.

--------

Bills have the ball. Drive stalls just before midfield, Bills punt and it's downed at about the 4 yard line.

RGIII is done for the night. Grossman takes the ball as QB now.

RGIII finishes the night at 4-of-6 for 70 yds and a TD. The only incompletions were the deep out that the WR failed to drag a second foot down (and he could have done it, too)...and the little shovel-type pass to the RB when RGIII was under pressure off a play action pass that the Bills sniffed out.

---------

ODD NOTE:

The ball was easily downed by the Bills at the Redskins' 4-yard line. The refs ruled that the ball or player was touching the goal line. LOL. The replacement refs royally blew the call, by a whole four yards.

Chan Gailey runs onto the field and gets the ref to review the call. Call is reversed and Skins have the ball at their own 4 like it should have been.
Old 08-09-2012   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't really see the point of this GP. Every season I watch all of the pre season games on NFL.com for free. I don't watch them live, but I get to watch the play backs, and it works great for FF, because I just fast forward back and forth between plays so I can see who I want to watch for FF purposes. I'm assuming that you are wanting to watch this stuff live and that's why you're paying.
Watching it live. Beats watching sand volleyball with my wife.

I am done with Olympics. FOOTBALL has arrived. I'm watching live. It feels exhilarating!

And I'm about to watch The Forehead "live" in about 45 minutes. I want to see how he looks in Denver in his first action since 2010.

Fair enough, people can watch playbacks...next week. I want to watch a few games live because I'm bored. It's cheap entertainment ($5 per week for four weeks). That's a movie rental per week, and I don't watch movies much.
Old 08-09-2012   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be watching the action free with my firstrow seat, and catching
replays on the tenyard line. Football season is back, and it's
economical.
Old 08-09-2012   #7
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL Network is showing highlights and live action from a bunch of different games. Good enough for me.
Old 08-09-2012   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Geez, you Negative Nancies...
Old 08-09-2012   #9
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Geez, you Negative Nancies...
Not talking down, I appreciate the heads up. If I didn't have NFLN I would probably order what you got.
Old 08-09-2012   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Well, I guess you guys can head over and talk about Forsett and Keyshawn Martin and Plaxico Burress. I mean, there's plenty of fresh conversation over there.

I was trying to, ya know, start a new thread and maybe discuss RGIII and Mario...in real time...to have something new to talk about. To talk about, ya know, real football as it's really happening.

For some guy who might be at work and is bored right now, maybe checking this thread and seeing a play by play breakdown and some analysis of RGIII and Mario (and later on, Manning) might be a welcome relief.

But hey, feel free to be Captain Obvious about how we can see highlights on NFLN. I have NFLN too, but I can flip between all the games and watch all of the games and pick and choose sort of like Sunday Ticket (and do it all in real time tonight, tomorrow night, and Saturday night). I can even put four games onto the screen at once. It's cheap fun: $5-per-week.

Was just trying to liven up the place a bit tonight. Football is back, I was excited and thought others would be too.
Old 08-09-2012   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

OK, now it's time for Bears/Broncos:

Bears players to look for: #17 Alshon Jeffrey the rookie WR and fellow rookie #99 DE Shea McClellin (whom was selected by the Bears, which meant Mercilus dropped to us).

TV commentator says people are calling Alshon Jeffrey a mini-Brandon Marshall for the work and output that Alshon's had thus far in camp. I'll scout him a little and tell you what I see of him tonight when the Bears are on offense.

Broncos players to look for: Peyton Manning QB.

----------

Ummm, OK....one of the two Bears' commentators is Jim Miller and he looks like he's pushing almost 300 lbs. Wasn't this guy a QB not too long ago??? Yikes. He looks and sounds like Tony Soprano from the hit HBO series....

----------

I'm going to post this game in sequences rather than one big post like I did with the Skins-Bills game. Keep anybody who might be following in real time a bit more updated as the game goes on in real time.
Old 08-09-2012   #12
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Well, I guess you guys can head over and talk about Forsett and Keyshawn Martin and Plaxico Burress. I mean, there's plenty of fresh conversation over there.

I was trying to, ya know, start a new thread and maybe discuss RGIII and Mario...in real time...to have something new to talk about. To talk about, ya know, real football as it's really happening.

For some guy who might be at work and is bored right now, maybe checking this thread and seeing a play by play breakdown and some analysis of RGIII and Mario (and later on, Manning) might be a welcome relief.

But hey, feel free to be Captain Obvious about how we can see highlights on NFLN. I have NFLN too, but I can flip between all the games and watch all of the games and pick and choose sort of like Sunday Ticket (and do it all in real time tonight, tomorrow night, and Saturday night). I can even put four games onto the screen at once. It's cheap fun: $5-per-week.

Was just trying to liven up the place a bit tonight. Football is back, I was excited and thought others would be too.
Lol sorry GP, didn't mean to hurt your feelers. My wife is already pissed at me and I'm not taking on another pointless argument.
Old 08-09-2012   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Melvin Ingram looks like a stud for the Chargers. Desmond Bishop for the Pack went down with a knee injury. Packers look like they have no defense again.
Old 08-09-2012   #14
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the update on RGIII. I was hoping he'd do well. Sounds a lot like he looked last year, hope he keeps it up.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Broncos with the ball first.

1st and 10 at Broncos 38: Shotgun, three wide…TE Tamme can't catch a quick slant, incomplete. Lance Briggs the LB breaks it up.

2nd and 10: Two wide, one RB, McGahee gets 11 on a run play.

1st and 10 at midfield: Four wide, one RB, pass is bobbled in the air and could have been picked off but Tamme catches it and gets another Broncos first down.

1st and 10 : McGahee a run for about 3 yards.

Damn, looking like the GREAT version of Manning's Colts out there. Damnit.

2nd and 7: Manning with tons of time. Throws to Decker and it's damn first down for about 15 yards.

Folks, I don't know what to say…he looks great out there. He really does.

1st and 10: McGahee with a no-gain run.

2nd and 10: Shotgun, three wide and 1 RB, another pass another first down for Manning…but the refs call a holding on RT Clady and it's now 2nd and 20 form the Bears' 36.

But still, Manning is on the money.

2nd and 20: Shotgun again, dump pass to the RB Lance Ball since the four WRs were covered nicely. Gain of 3.

3rd and 17: Shotgun, and three wide and 1 RB. Lot of time for Manning, and he throws a precise pass to Decker for a FIRST DOWN by about two yards past the marker. The pace of the offense is fast, in and out of the huddle. It's Colts version 2.0

1st and 10 from Bears' 14. McGahee minimal gain of about 2 yards.

2nd and 8: Three wide, 1 RB. Manning under Center. Short drop. floated one nicely to the back corner of end zone and a wiser WR would have caught that pass for a TD.

3rd and 8: Shotgun, three wide, 1 RB, Stokley bobbled a perfectly thrown pass by manning and it was about to be a TD at the goal line but the Bears snag it off the Stokley bobble and takeover possession with the end zone at their backs.

Son of a ______. Manning is Manning. Period.
Old 08-09-2012   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Lol sorry GP, didn't mean to hurt your feelers. My wife is already pissed at me and I'm not taking on another pointless argument.
Well. If you need someone to yell at you, let me know. I have two daughters that I am out of sorts with right now, being negative nannies about stuff, so it's easy for me to pick on you right now. It's coming so naturally to me
Old 08-09-2012   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Broncos offense looks just like Colts of old w/better RB. Just need to clean up some stuff. I might have detected a stiff-necked-ness from Manning ... we'll see.

No Cutler, Manning out, game over for me.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

8:35 left in 1st quarter.

Bears run on 1st down, no big gain there by Bush.

2nd down: Completion to Brandon Marshall, but Broncos rough the passer so the Bears have some breathing room now.

1st and 10 at Bears' own 24 yard line: JASON CAMPBELL in, rolls out and tucks it when there's nobody open. Gain of about 2. I guess Cutler was a bit woozy and went to the sideline after being roughed up on the previous play. Or Bears keeping Cutler safe for rest of night.

1st and 5 after a late offsides call by refs: Campbell still in as QB. Incomplete after Campbell is hurried and has to throw it too early.

2nd and 5: Michael Bush weaves and bobs to the left, but cannot escape the Broncos defense. No gain.

3rd and 4: Bush DROPS the sweep play toss, Broncos grab it off the bounce and run it down to about the 5. Ouch.

------------

Broncos at the 6

1st and goal: Former Bears' QB Hanie under center, three wide and 1 RB, and the Bears stuff the run play for a loss of about FOUR yards.

2nd and goal from Bears' 10: Shotgun by Hanie. Incomplete pass.

3rd and goal from the Bears' 10: Bears fans BOOING Hanie loudly, corner route to back of end zone is off the mark. The Bears' commentator says that the Broncos' QB, Hanie, is being booed because he started four games last year for the Bears and couldn't win any of those four games. Bears fans booed him just now, all three plays he was in there for the Broncos actually. LOL. Bears fans. Wow.

Well, Manning had one series. I don't think Cutler will be back in. he has his ball cap on his head, backwards like a douche as always, and spitting seeds with that pouty face and saggy eyes in full effect. Someone get a blood test on him, he looks pale and clammy.
Old 08-09-2012   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Broncos offense looks just like Colts of old w/better RB. Just need to clean up some stuff. I might have detected a stiff-necked-ness from Manning ... we'll see.

No Cutler, Manning out, game over for me.
You know, I'm going to rewind the one series by Manning and see what The Forehead really looked like when throwing the ball. I was concentrating on typing out the play as it happened and the result of the play...so I need to see Manning and Manning only when I re-watch it.

Gonna' do that in a bit. Alshon Jeffrey is in at WR for the Bears, so I'm going to watch for him for awhile.
Old 08-09-2012   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Bears run game is woeful tonight. Ugggly.

On 3rd and long, Campbell locks onto Alshon Jeffrey, with Jeffrey shrugging off the CB at the snap and moving well downfield but Campbell is pumping the ball and trying to buy time for the deep pass to Alshon...but Campbell cannot pull the trigger in time and gets swallowed up at the line of scrimmage. Punt to the Broncos.

Let's see if we can watch Bears rookie DE Shea Mclellin or if he's done for the night.

EDIT: McLellin is out for the rest of the night. I think I'm done with play-by-play with this game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read