Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2012   #21
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [NFL.com]Defensive Power Rankings: Texans on Top

Im not sure to be honest, but I still stand by my statement.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #22
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
It was Conner Barwin wasnt it?
If memory serves right, he Barwin was tweeting about "Bulls on Parade" last year...

So basically Barwin gave the defense a horrific nickname and most likely will walk for more money after the season to leave the rest of the Texans defense with said horrific nickname...

that's just not right...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #23
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Would anyone still have a problem with the nickname if we win the Superbowl and in effect become Bulls literally on parade?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the name. I'd probably like most any name that the players themselves chose though.

The nickname sucks, but I like it. It's grown on me.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Would anyone still have a problem with the nickname if we win the Superbowl and in effect become Bulls literally on parade?
That's a good way to think about it.

Doesn't seem like the name is going anywhere though. I've seen a few players use it as well as Wade.

I guess you guys can petition them on twitter, but it seems like the name is here to stay.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74971 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry gramps but Barwin, Cushing, Reed and whomever else is in the 20's probably listened to that song when they were growing up and liked it enough to remember it when they played football.

Try not to all act like cranky old men at once about it though.
Old 08-11-2012   #27
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

i like it because its something you wouldnt expect, someone who suggested raging bulls, stampede or whatever.. smh, so generic, trying too hard to create intimidation.bulls on parade is more about this incredible defense being on dispaly than it has to do with snoopy floats and mardi gras beads..

the thing about nicknames is they just come about, you dont have polls to pick nicknames. whenever its forced you end up with cheesy names like the ragin bulls... bulls on parade kinda just happened. again, deal with it. your bitching solves nothing.. not every nickname has to be "in your face badass." remember a man named sweetness? how about the tyler rose?

its awesome getting on twitter and seeing all the #bullsonparade posts when the texans d does something great..

Quote:
Sorry gramps
it does seem like the average age of those who dislike it, is a bit up there...

Last edited by Premier; 08-11-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2012   #28
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
it does seem like the average age of those who dislike it, is a bit up there...
Yeah, so what? I make the guys in Grumpy Old Men movies look like angels 'cause I can out grumpy any ole grumpy old man. And I get grumpy about that damn nickname cause it sucks. Horribly.

Dude, don't take this personally, cause you're a Texan fan and that makes you OK in my book. Let's just agree to disagree. Which means I can call you misguided and you can call me old and grumpy. How's that?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #29
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Sorry gramps but Barwin, Cushing, Reed and whomever else is in the 20's probably listened to that song when they were growing up and liked it enough to remember it when they played football.

Try not to all act like cranky old men at once about it though.
But, but...I AM a cranky old man. Just axe my wife.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #30
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I can't believe how many dislike the nickname.

You couldn't pick a better song to pump up a stadium.
I've heard the song. Lyrics make no damned sense to me.

"Rally round the family with a pocket full of shells"
WTF does that have to do will bulls or parades?!?

Maybe it's a generation thing but neither the song nor the nickname do a damned thing for me.

after this season I want to be able to hum along to "We Are the Champions"
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #31
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Maybe it's a generation thing but neither the song nor the nickname do a damned thing for me.
Kids today.

When these kids are still paying on their mortgage, figuring out how to afford college for their kids and still arguing with their wives about it all, I'll being flying up and down the halls in the old age home in my anti-matter powered wheelchair with a picture of Capt Kirk on the back grabbing nurses asses and stealing other patients happy pills.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I like the sound of the song but you are right the lyrics are whack. I would prefer Welcome to the Jungle or a Metallica song but the song is fine.

I am sorry I just see the front seven wearing pink tutus whenever I hear Bulls on Parade.

Quote:
after this season I want to be able to hum along to "We Are the Champions"
Love the sentiment, loathe the song - but it would go well with the pink tutus.
Old 08-11-2012   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Kids today.

When these kids are still paying on their mortgage, figuring out how to afford college for their kids and still arguing with their wives about it all, I'll being flying up and down the halls in the old age home in my anti-matter powered wheelchair with a picture of Capt Kirk on the back grabbing nurses asses and stealing other patients happy pills.
You may not have the fancy chair but aren't you already doing a couple of those things
Old 08-11-2012   #34
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

The song refers to the military weapons industry, and 'pocket full of shells' bit infers that politicians rally around the family as an American symbol but are in the pocket of military-industrial complex because they carry a payment of 'shells' in their pockets. Or something like that.

As far as the moniker goes, it refers to a use of brute force over diplomacy, which fits the defense well.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
As far as the moniker goes, it refers to a use of brute force over diplomacy, which fits the defense well.
Bulls on Parade refers to brute force? Please explain.

Welcome to the MB.
Old 08-11-2012   #36
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, admittedly that was more of what I construed, what did you think it meant? :I
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #37
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Bulls on Parade refers to brute force? Please explain.

Welcome to the MB.

Well it is Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulls_on_Parade
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #38
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
The song refers to the military weapons industry, and 'pocket full of shells' bit infers that politicians rally around the family as an American symbol but are in the pocket of military-industrial complex because they carry a payment of 'shells' in their pockets. Or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Well it is Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulls_on_Parade
The Wiki entry is pretty much what bhsman said. That definition/description makes me feel somewhat better about the song. Having grown up in the 60s, protest songs and Stick-it-to-the-Establishment tunes were what I was weaned on so I can relate to the attitude
....except that now *I* am part of the Establishment
Old 08-11-2012   #39
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Nope. I won't deal with it. I hate that stupid nick name. And I'll ***** about in here as much as I feel like.
Agree, they could say:

"The running of the Bulls in Houston......."
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #40
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
If memory serves right, he Barwin was tweeting about "Bulls on Parade" last year...

So basically Barwin gave the defense a horrific nickname and most likely will walk for more money after the season to leave the rest of the Texans defense with said horrific nickname...

that's just not right...
he didn't come up with it...he tweeted it after he heard the term though. He just has a higher profile than a bunch of fans who have no fans of their own (with the exception of TC of course).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read