Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2012   #1
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [NFL.com]Defensive Power Rankings: Texans on Top

Defensive Power Rankings: Texans, Niners elite

Quote:
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor

We thought about updating our revolutionary tiered Around the League Power Rankings this week, and then we realized it would look exactly like it did two weeks ago.

So let's try something a little different. We present our Preseason Defensive Power Rankings. The list was created by answering a simple question: What depth chart, defensive coach and scheme would we want as a general manager? Talent and 2012 potential matters more here than the final 2011 rankings.

Top shelf: Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers

The Bulls on Parade in Houston have the best combination of young talent and scheme in the NFL, even without Mario Williams. San Francisco's front seven rivals Houston. Baltimore isn't nearly as old as you think, while Pittsburgh still has a surplus of linebacker talent and great continuity under Dick Lebeau.

Anything less than a top-10 ranking in points allowed would be a huge disappointment for these teams. Their defenses can win games on their own.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [NFL.com]Defensive Power Rankings: Texans on Top

good article I guess. But mentioning that horrid nickname is like pouring vinegar on strawberry shortcake, you've just ruined it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #3
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 53144 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Sunday, Sept. 9 Miami - Not Sold
Sunday, Sept. 16 at Jacksonville - Middle of the pack
Sunday, Sept. 23 at Denver - Not Sold
Sunday, Sept. 30 Tennessee - Not Sold
Monday, Oct. 8 At N.Y. Jets
Sunday, Oct. 14 Green Bay - Knocking on the door
Sunday, Oct. 21 Baltimore
Sunday, Oct. 28 Bye week
Sunday, Nov. 4 Buffalo - Middle of the pack
Sunday, Nov. 11 at Chicago - Knocking on the door
Sunday, Nov. 18 Jacksonville - Middle of the pack
Thrsdy, Nov. 22 at Detroit - Knocking on the door
Sunday, Dec. 2 at Tennessee - Not Sold
Monday, Dec. 10 at New England - Not Sold
Sunday, Dec. 16 Indianapolis - Sub-mediocre
Sunday, Dec. 23 Minnesota - Sub-mediocre
Sunday, Dec. 30 at Indianapolis. - Sub-mediocre

This should bode well for the offense. Only 2 teams in the top two tiers.
Old 08-09-2012   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post

Sunday, Sept. 9 Miami - Not Sold
Sunday, Sept. 16 at Jacksonville - Middle of the pack
Sunday, Sept. 23 at Denver - Not Sold
Sunday, Sept. 30 Tennessee - Not Sold
Monday, Oct. 8 At N.Y. Jets
Sunday, Oct. 14 Green Bay - Knocking on the door
Sunday, Oct. 21 Baltimore
Sunday, Oct. 28 Bye week
Sunday, Nov. 4 Buffalo - Middle of the pack
Sunday, Nov. 11 at Chicago - Knocking on the door
Sunday, Nov. 18 Jacksonville - Middle of the pack
Thrsdy, Nov. 22 at Detroit - Knocking on the door
Sunday, Dec. 2 at Tennessee - Not Sold
Monday, Dec. 10 at New England - Not Sold
Sunday, Dec. 16 Indianapolis - Sub-mediocre
Sunday, Dec. 23 Minnesota - Sub-mediocre
Sunday, Dec. 30 at Indianapolis. - Sub-mediocre

This should bode well for the offense. Only 2 teams in the top two tiers.
nice analysis. Hopefully the offense can take advantage of some of those teams.

Old 08-09-2012   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
nice analysis. Hopefully the offense can take advantage of some of those teams.
Absent injuries I stopped worrying about the offense after watching them go 99 and 95 yards on back to back drives against the Ravens.
Old 08-09-2012   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Ravens D will drop a few notches this year, losing both starting OLBs Jarret Johnson and Terrel Suggs will really hurt that team. In their place, they have rookie Courtney Upshaw and 4 year vet Paul Kruger, who has started exactly zero games in his career. They are going to get burned around the edges for a lot of yards.

I'd swap the Ravens and Giants in this analysis. The Giants have a stout defense, with an awesome pass rush. I can definitely see them in the top 5 this year.
Old 08-10-2012   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Were the Jags that bad? I think their defense has some nice young pieces on it and they did retain their DC from last year. I think Seattle is a better candidate for being marked as over achieving.
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2012   #8
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Were the Jags that bad? I think their defense has some nice young pieces on it and they did retain their DC from last year. I think Seattle is a better candidate for being marked as over achieving.
Jags can't get to the quarterback. Other than that I think they're actually pretty solid, especially when they play us. Their secondary has a bit to prove as well after all the injuries last year.

Last edited by Allstar; 08-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2012   #9
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
good article I guess. But mentioning that horrid nickname is like pouring vinegar on strawberry shortcake, you've just ruined it.
bulls on parade, deal with it..
Old 08-10-2012   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
bulls on parade, deal with it..
Nope. I won't deal with it. I hate that stupid nick name. And I'll ***** about in here as much as I feel like.

Old 08-10-2012   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope. I won't deal with it. I hate that stupid nick name. And I'll ***** about in here as much as I feel like.
I'm with you. I despise that nickname and refuse to use it. It is a mockery compared to the greats like the Steel Curtain and Doomsday Defense.

What so our DL prances by and throws out beads and candy?
Old 08-10-2012   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe how many dislike the nickname.

You couldn't pick a better song to pump up a stadium.
Old 08-10-2012   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

song....good. Nickname sucks.

dat's my two cents

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

It has nothing to do with the song. The nickname sucks. Pick something better - Raging Bulls, Stampede D, something.
Old 08-10-2012   #15
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 53144 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think the Ravens D will drop a few notches this year, losing both starting OLBs Jarret Johnson and Terrel Suggs will really hurt that team...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
song....good. Nickname sucks.
I agree with both of these.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-10-2012   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'm with you. I despise that nickname and refuse to use it. It is a mockery compared to the greats like the Steel Curtain and Doomsday Defense.

What so our DL prances by and throws out beads and candy?
Although I always like Rage's song, I'm thirding this.
Old 08-10-2012   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Although I always like Rage's song, I'm thirding this.
I'll 4th it.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #18
Allstar
Bona fide

C'mon guys, think of how appropriate the nickname will be after we start winning championships!
Old 08-10-2012   #19
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Whomever created that moniker needs to be taken out back and shot. And anyone who uses it should be a social pariah.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #20
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116586 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
Whomever created that moniker needs to be taken out back and shot. And anyone who uses it should be a social pariah.
It was Conner Barwin wasnt it?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read