Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2012   #21
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC South Blog: Texans Depth Chart 8/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Nope. Second unit is still very capable. Hell Dobbins had the huge stand up tackle last year at the 1 inch line in the Ravens playoff game. Fox might be a bit of a concern but he won't see the field much.
Yes he did! I still go back and watch that every once in a while.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #22
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51849 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
The depth chart looks skewed to me in certain places. Primarily at:

Nickel back

And

Slot receiver

Kmart isnt learning AJs spot and as lucky said I heard mcclain this morning on the radio to talking up Bharris. I think kmart has the primary role in the slot and mcmannis/mccain/ball are primary in the nickle. Could be completly wrong here but I dont think that depth chart format reflects those 2 positions and how players are slotted there.
From the practice quotes today the question was posed as wether Martin was playing inside or outside.

"(on if WR Keshawn Martin is playing out and in) Im keeping him out right now. Hell be able to do both.
Old 08-08-2012   #23
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
From the practice quotes today the question was posed as wether Martin was playing inside or outside.

"(on if WR Keshawn Martin is playing out and in) “I’m keeping him out right now. He’ll be able to do both.”
Thats a good quote and probably blows my speculation out of the water but I think i'll have to watch a couple of games before I believe it completely. I think kmart is gonna spend more time in the slot then anyone else this preseason.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #24
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The depth chart looks skewed to me in certain places. Primarily at:

Nickel back

And

Slot receiver

Kmart isnt learning AJs spot and as lucky said I heard mcclain this morning on the radio to talking up Bharris. I think kmart has the primary role in the slot and mcmannis/mccain/ball are primary in the nickle. Could be completly wrong here but I dont think that depth chart format reflects those 2 positions and how players are slotted there.
Kmart was running in AJ spot for most of last week, and with the ones. It was obvious he had moved ahead of Jean. In the long run he will be a slot guy, but right now they are teaching him the outside position.

As for Harris, he looked very good to my eye last week during the open practices. That said Ball also has looked good, he has been picking the ball off during practice this week and Kubiak has talked him up.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if this is also Kubiak's subtle motivation to certain players...as in "See where you are in the depth chart? You don't move up until you show something in preseason."

I cannot fathom a FB depth chart where Casey is FB1, Smith is FB2, and the veteran FB (who by all means IS a veteran and IS a true FB) is sitting as FB3 right now.

Kubiak might be toying with grooming Kmart as a stand-in for AJ if AJ gets hurt. But like others here, I have to think he wants Kmart in the slot as the best spot for Kmart. Right????
Old 08-08-2012   #26
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51849 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I wonder if this is also Kubiak's subtle motivation to certain players...as in "See where you are in the depth chart? You don't move up until you show something in preseason."

I cannot fathom a FB depth chart where Casey is FB1, Smith is FB2, and the veteran FB (who by all means IS a veteran and IS a true FB) is sitting as FB3 right now.

Kubiak might be toying with grooming Kmart as a stand-in for AJ if AJ gets hurt. But like others here, I have to think he wants Kmart in the slot as the best spot for Kmart. Right????
My thoughts exactly. K-mart will get a bunch of WR1 work in the pre-season for a potential AJ injury replacement. He'll be a slot guy 60% or so you'd think.

And I agree about Moran Norris. No way in hell he gets beat out by Smith. Dude absolutely moves people, Smith might stay on p.s. though for a cheap upgrade. Norris is probably a stopgap til that happens though.
Old 08-09-2012   #27
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really confused with that one myself. I can see using Casey as FB some of the time simply because of the options it brings you. But Norris is a true FB, and while not the best in the league, is, at minimum, above average. An undrafted rookie converted defensive LB is beating him out at his job at FB?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. While I'm all for Smith really being that good and beating Norris out, I just will not believe it until I see it for myself.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2012   #28
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

How many snaps does the #2 FB get anyway? Vickers barely saw playing time last year before Casey got hurt and I expect a similar pattern this year. That FB battle will be decided by special teams where Smith, being a former LB, probably has an advantage.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #29
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If kmart shows that he's capable outside I could easily see kw going into the slot a bunch. He has a big body and sure hands and should be able to take hits from bigger players going across the middle. I think kw would be better in the slot than outside. His heralded blocking abilities would also be better put to use in the slot.

So no, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Martin sees a bunch of time outside.

As far as the fb situation I don't see why everyone is surprised. Everytime they talk about smith they say good things about him.

When kubiak first got here I don't think they even wanted Norris back then. I think kubiak wants more athletic fb's. This is not the type of running game where you need a big bruising guy. In fact the offense probably functions better as a whole when the fb is more athletic. We brought in leach while Sherman was here and our scheme was more straight ahead.

If smith plays well in pre season I think he has a great shot at making the team.

I don't see how the depth chart would serve as motivation for either guy there. If anything Norris was brought in to motivate smith so he doesnt get complacent and he sees a competent vet breathing down his back.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #30
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
How many snaps does the #2 FB get anyway? Vickers barely saw playing time last year before Casey got hurt and I expect a similar pattern this year. That FB battle will be decided by special teams where Smith, being a former LB, probably has an advantage.
good point.

Old 08-09-2012   #31
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm anxious to see how Jared Crick and Whitney Mercilus do. They bring a lot of speed to our pass rush.

Also I want to see how John Beck and T.J. Yates do.
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #32
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this will be our 53 man roster:

Code:
WR1 	-	Andre Johnson	-	Keshawn Martin	-	Lestar Jean

LT 	-	Duane Brown	-	Andrew Gardner	-	

LG 	-	Wade Smith	-	Kasey Studdard	-	

C 	-	Chris Myers	-	Ben Jones	-	

RG 	-	Antoine Caldwell	-	Brandon Brooks	-	

RT	-	Rashad Butler	-	Derek Newton	-	

TE	-	Owen Daniels	-	Garrett Graham	-	Logan Brock

WR2	-	Kevin Walter	-	DeVier Posey	-	Bryant Johnson

QB 	-	Matt Schaub	-	T.J. Yates	-	John Beck

RB 	-	Arian Foster	-	Ben Tate	-	Justin Forsett

FB	-	James Casey		

DE 	-	J.J. Watt	-	Tim Jamison		

DT	-	Shaun Cody	-	Earl Mitchell		

DE 	-	Antonio Smith	-	Jared Crick		

SLB 	-	Brooks Reed	-	Bryan Braman	-	Jesse Nading

ILB 	-	Brian Cushing	-	Mister Alexander	

ILB 	-	Bradie James	-	Tim Dobbins	-	

WLB 	-	Connor Barwin	-	Whitney Mercilus		

LCB	-	Kareem Jackson	-	Sherrick McManis	- Brandon Harris

RCB	-	Johnathan Joseph	-	Brice McCain	

SS 	-	Danieal Manning	-	Quintin Demps

FS 	-	Glover Quin	-	Troy Nolan	

LS	-	Jon Weeks		

K 	-	Randy Bullock		

P 	-	Dahnte Jones
Only 3 TEs due to Casey, 6 WRs, lots of LBs, and Beck gets the nod over Keenum because Case can go on the Psquad.

Code:
Practice squad
1	QB	Case Keenum
2	SS	Shiloh Keo
3	WR	Jeff Maehl
4	RB	Jonathan Grimes
5	CB	Roc Carmichael
6	OT	Nick Mondek
7	OG	Thomas Austin
8	DT	Ra'Shon Harris
Old 08-09-2012   #33
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

No way we only have 4 CBs on the active roster... Do you see us cutting Harris?

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
No way we only have 4 CBs on the active roster... Do you see us cutting Harris?
He's got 5 corners on that roster and Harris is the 5th.

I think the OL is going to play out differently but I'm not sure how at this point.

I expect to have 1 other FB and I wouldn't be surprised if we go with 5 WRs instead of 6, cutting Bryant.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #35
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's got 5 corners on that roster and Harris is the 5th.
AUGH! stupid me.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Dutch, I think if Case shows much of anything at all in pre-season he won't last long on the practice squad. Someone short on talented QBs (and there are a lot) will clear up a roster space for him. If Case does show some talent, it will be Beck who get's shown the door since he isn't eligable for the practice squad.

Then again, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with something Kubiak has done.

Old 08-09-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think this will be our 53 man roster:

Code:
WR1 	-	Andre Johnson	-	Keshawn Martin	-	Lestar Jean

LT 	-	Duane Brown	-	Andrew Gardner	-	

LG 	-	Wade Smith	-	Kasey Studdard	-	

C 	-	Chris Myers	-	Ben Jones	-	

RG 	-	Antoine Caldwell	-	Brandon Brooks	-	

RT	-	Rashad Butler	-	Derek Newton	-	

TE	-	Owen Daniels	-	Garrett Graham	-	Logan Brock

WR2	-	Kevin Walter	-	DeVier Posey	-	Bryant Johnson

QB 	-	Matt Schaub	-	T.J. Yates	-	John Beck

RB 	-	Arian Foster	-	Ben Tate	-	Justin Forsett

FB	-	James Casey		

DE 	-	J.J. Watt	-	Tim Jamison		

DT	-	Shaun Cody	-	Earl Mitchell		

DE 	-	Antonio Smith	-	Jared Crick		

SLB 	-	Brooks Reed	-	Bryan Braman	-	Jesse Nading

ILB 	-	Brian Cushing	-	Mister Alexander	

ILB 	-	Bradie James	-	Tim Dobbins	-	

WLB 	-	Connor Barwin	-	Whitney Mercilus		

LCB	-	Kareem Jackson	-	Sherrick McManis	- Brandon Harris

RCB	-	Johnathan Joseph	-	Brice McCain	

SS 	-	Danieal Manning	-	Quintin Demps

FS 	-	Glover Quin	-	Troy Nolan	

LS	-	Jon Weeks		

K 	-	Randy Bullock		

P 	-	Dahnte Jones
Only 3 TEs due to Casey, 6 WRs, lots of LBs, and Beck gets the nod over Keenum because Case can go on the Psquad.

Code:
Practice squad
1	QB	Case Keenum
2	SS	Shiloh Keo
3	WR	Jeff Maehl
4	RB	Jonathan Grimes
5	CB	Roc Carmichael
6	OT	Nick Mondek
7	OG	Thomas Austin
8	DT	Ra'Shon Harris
My only quibble is at TE and FB.

I see us going with Daniels-Graham-Casey (Brock to the PS squad)

I see us going with Norris at FB (with Casey being an emergency FB since he's already on the 53-man as a TE).

Smith will easily pass waivers and hit our PS...which means he could be called up in case Casey or Norris got banged up and are iffy for a next game.

Brock can go to the PS if he's that much of a prospect, but he had an awful day today (8/9/12) and was dropping passes the most out of the receivers out there--According to the training camp report I re-posted off of Houston CBS training camp coverage (in the training camp thread today).
Old 08-09-2012   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my early roster prediction:

QB: Schaub, Yates, Keenum

RB: Foster, Tate, Grimes

FB: Smith

TE: OD, Casey, Grahm

WR: AJ, Walter, Martin, Jean, posey, trindon

OT: Brown, Gardner, Butler, Newton

OG/C: Wade Smith, Caldwell, Meyers, Brooks, jones

DE: smith, watt, crick, Jamison

NT: Cody, Mitchell, Fangupo

OLB: Barwin, reed, merci, Braman, Nading

ILB: Cush, James, Alexander, louiseau

CB: Jackson, Joseph, McCain, Carmichael, Harris

FS: Quinn, Nolan

SS: manning, pleasant

LS: weeks

K: bullock

P: jones
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Here's my early roster prediction:

QB: Schaub, Yates, Keenum

RB: Foster, Tate, Grimes

FB: Smith

TE: OD, Casey, Grahm

WR: AJ, Walter, Martin, Jean, posey, trindon

OT: Brown, Gardner, Butler, Newton

OG/C: Wade Smith, Caldwell, Meyers, Brooks, jones

DE: smith, watt, crick, Jamison

NT: Cody, Mitchell, Fangupo

OLB: Barwin, reed, merci, Braman, Nading

ILB: Cush, James, Alexander, louiseau

CB: Jackson, Joseph, McCain, Carmichael, Harris

FS: Quinn, Nolan

SS: manning, pleasant

LS: weeks

K: bullock

P: jones
I think your RB trio is off. Forsett will be the 3rd RB. Grimes to the PS.

1. Forsett is not PS eligible.

2. Grimes is.

3. Teams are not going to poach Grimes, so it's a win-win to make him a PS guy and keep the more veteran Forsett (who is impressing in camp thus far).

You've got Smith beating out Norris as our FB, with what I assume is Casey in a TE role but yet Casey obviously could handle FB duties if needed during a game. I agree with that, but yet I wonder if it's a bit early to vault Smith ahead of Norris right now. Depth chart right now says so, but still...I'm unsure of that.

In an opposite move, depth chart wise, you've got Brandon Harris moving up past a few guys to where he is no longer 4th string at LCB but is actually making the 53 man roster. Where is Alan Ball on your roster? He's not there. I think they're going to push the issue and make Ball the new Jason Allen this year whether he is really competent or not...which I fear is the case and I'm not ready for that right now! I'd prefer Harris, but that depth chart has him listed as the worst CB on the field right now. I'm troubled by that, unless he's being chided a bit for motivational reasons (attitude problems? Inconsistency across the board in all aspects? I dunno. But he's dead last, man).

Everything else, I think I agree with. Even your LB choices seem right. No Sharpton and instead you've got Loiseau in there. I like it.
Old 08-10-2012   #40
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thats a good quote and probably blows my speculation out of the water but I think i'll have to watch a couple of games before I believe it completely. I think kmart is gonna spend more time in the slot then anyone else this preseason.
And I'm fine with that because I believe this offense is missing just that....an effective slot receiver who isn't named Owen Daniels.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read