Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-06-2012   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AFC South Blog: Texans Depth Chart 8/6/12

Quote:
The Texans' first unofficial depth chart, released in advance of their preseason opener at Carolina on Saturday, contains no huge surprises.

Teams generally defer, at this stage, to the veteran over the rookie -- if not in the rotation or play time, at least on paper.

Here are a few items of note:

-- Fourth-rounder Keshawn Martin is listed as a second-team receiver behind Andre Johnson, ahead of Lestar Jean.

-- Veteran Bryant Johnson is listed as a No. 2 receiver behind Kevin Walter, and ahead of third-round pick DeVier Posey.
He lists a few more, but ya gotta' click the link to see the whole list.

Depth Chart: Texans (not a full depth chart, though)
Old 08-06-2012   #2
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Re: AFC South Blog: Texans Depth Chart 8/6/12

If Bryan Braman plays as well as he did in preseason, our OLB's are going to be ridiculous. And not to mention our DE's are just as good, Antonio Smith, JJ Watt, Jared Crick, and Tim Jamison, who's a solid backup DE whenever he's in.

Can't wait for Game 1 against the Miami Dolphins.
Old 08-06-2012   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans' first unofficial depth chart, released in advance of their preseason opener at Carolina on Saturday, contains no huge surprises.
I guess it would be too much to ask for the Texans to actually post the updated, unoffical, depth chart to their web site. The currently posted depth chart has Jacoby Jones, Joel Dreessen, Neil Rackers, and Jason Allen (among others) still on the team.
Old 08-07-2012   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Allen Ball is listed as the backup to left cornerback Kareem Jackson, who platooned with the departed Jason Allen last season.
I find that surprising and a bit disappointing given all of the draft choices we've invested in CBs in recent years, especially since this Ball guy seems to be basically a safety.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Allen Ball is listed as the backup to left cornerback Kareem Jackson, who platooned with the departed Jason Allen last season.
I find that surprising and a bit disappointing given all of the draft choices we've invested in CBs in recent years, especially since this Ball guy seems to be basically a safety.
They have Bryant Johnson listed ahead of Jean, Posey and Martin. I'm sure this depth chart is fungible and players will move up and down.
Old 08-08-2012   #6
KMG 365
Veteran

Rep Power: 1251 KMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respected

The depth chart is now up on the Texans website.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html
KMG 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG 365 View Post
The depth chart is now up on the Texans website.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html
Good find. Thank you for posting!
Old 08-08-2012   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

From the link provided by KMG 365:

WR1 Andre Johnson--Keshawn Martin--Lestar Jean--Juaquin Iglesias--Jerrell Jackson

LT Duane Brown--Andrew Gardner--Nathan Menkin

LG Wade Smith--Kasey Studdard--Cody White

C Chris Myers--Ben Jones--Cody Wallace--Thomas Austin

RG Antoine Caldwell--Brandon Brooks--Shelley Smith

RT--Rashad Butler--Derek Newton--Nick Mondek

TE--Owen Daniels--Garrett Graham--Logan Brock--Phillip Supernaw

WR2 Kevin Walter--Bryant Johnson--DeVier Posey--Jeff Maehl--Trindon Holliday--Mario Louis

QB Matt Schaub--T.J. Yates--John Beck--Case Keenum

RB Arian Foster--Ben Tate--Justin Forsett--Jonathan Grimes--Davin Meggett

FB James Casey--Derrell Smith--Moran Norris

Discuss?
Old 08-08-2012   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Texans depth chart for defense, as of 8/8/12:

DE J.J. Watt--Tim Jamison--Mitch King--David Hunter

DT Shaun Cody--Earl Mitchell--Ra'Shon Harris--Hebron Fangupo

DE Antonio Smith--Jared Crick--Keith Browner

SLB Brooks Reed--Bryan Braman--Jesse Nading--D.J. Bryant

ILB Brian Cushing--Mister Alexander--Keyaron Fox--Greg Williams

ILB Bradie James--Tim Dobbins--Shawn Loiseau--Darryl Sharpton

WLB Connor Barwin--Whitney Mercilus--Rennie Moore--Delano Johnson

LCB Kareem Jackson--Alan Ball--Sherrick McManis--Brandon Harris

RCB Johnathan Joseph--Brice McCain--Roc Carmichael--Torri Williams

SS Danieal Manning--Quintin Demps--Eddie Pleasant

FS Glover Quin--Troy Nolan--Shiloh Keo

Wow. Brandon Harris is not even 3rd string at LCB! He's FOURTH string. WTH?

Fangupo is fourth string at DT, but I think he ends up making the roster.

I think at all the LB positions, the 1st and 2nd stringers listed as they are right now...they make the 53 man roster. I think the 3rd string LBs who make the roster could potentially be Jesse Nading and Shawn Loiseau (He can play special teams, too, which enhances his roster chances).

Nothing shocking at CB except that Brandon Harris is so far down the totem pole at LCB (he's sitting at 4th string right now). Roc Carmichael had a great preseason last year and then got hurt and I.R.'d the remainder of 2011...a bit surprised to see him sitting at 3rd string for RCB right now.

No arguments with the two safety positions and how they've got them stacked right now.

Discuss?
Old 08-08-2012   #10
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Daryl Sharpton listed as 4th team ILB and Brandon Harris list as 4th team CB.

Maybe Sharpton goes to IR, but Harris is likely going to get cut if he cannot move higher than that.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Daryl Sharpton listed as 4th team ILB and Brandon Harris list as 4th team CB.

Maybe Sharpton goes to IR, but Harris is likely going to get cut if he cannot move higher than that.
How Brandon Harris can't beat out Alan Ball is beyond me. BEYOND me.

I could see Harris being in deadlock with McManis for perhaps the 2nd string position...but to be FOURTH? Two spots behind Ball? Yikes.

Ugggh....
Old 08-08-2012   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
From the link provided by KMG 365:

WR1 Andre Johnson--Keshawn Martin--Lestar Jean--Juaquin Iglesias--Jerrell Jackson

LT Duane Brown--Andrew Gardner--Nathan Menkin

LG Wade Smith--Kasey Studdard--Cody White

C Chris Myers--Ben Jones--Cody Wallace--Thomas Austin

RG Antoine Caldwell--Brandon Brooks--Shelley Smith

RT--Rashad Butler--Derek Newton--Nick Mondek

TE--Owen Daniels--Garrett Graham--Logan Brock--Phillip Supernaw

WR2 Kevin Walter--Bryant Johnson--DeVier Posey--Jeff Maehl--Trindon Holliday--Mario Louis

RB Arian Foster--Ben Tate--Justin Forsett--Jonathan Grimes--Davin Meggett

Discuss?
Just going down the list:

1) Keshawn really is making a spash! I expected him to be listed behind KW and Lestar behind AJ.

2) Surprised at Andrew Gardner behind DB.

3) I'm surprised that Bryant Johnson is ahead of Posey.

4) I want to see how Beck looks. I might have been wrong about Case being the #3.

5) I expected Moran Norris in front of Derrel Smith. Honestly, I expected to see Casey as the #2 TE with Moran Norris as the #1 FB.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Nothing shocking at CB except that Brandon Harris is so far down the totem pole at LCB (he's sitting at 4th string right now).
That's funny because McClain was droning on this morning on 610 about Harris' improvement since being moved to outside, rather than the nickel. I don't know what to believe. I think getting to watch the preseason and seeing how, when, and where these guys play will give me a better understanding of what's happening at CB.
Old 08-08-2012   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How did Norris end up 3rd string? I thought we brought him in specifically for that duty. Derrell Smith must be doing a heck of a job. Not that I mind, I'm all for the best man for the job and all that, I'm just dissappointed in Norris I guess.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, if that's true Brandon Harris must suck ass chips.

That's strange because like lucky, I've heard positive things about Harris.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
How did Norris end up 3rd string? I thought we brought him in specifically for that duty. Derrell Smith must be doing a heck of a job. Not that I mind, I'm all for the best man for the job and all that, I'm just dissappointed in Norris I guess.
Norris hasn't been here THAT long.

I posted in another thread that smith has a good chance of making the roster, but dont count Norris out.

I imagine smith will get first dibs at the spot and will have to be outplayed. From what I've heard he's looked good at the spot being a good mixture of physicality and athleticism. Good hands supposedly too.

Count me in those that can't f'n wait for Saturday.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dammit, I want Case to make the team. After pre-season, whoever is in this 4th QB position is a gonner.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #18
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is anyone else worried about LB depth? Our second unit is a considerable drop-off
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #19
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
Is anyone else worried about LB depth? Our second unit is a considerable drop-off
Nope. Second unit is still very capable. Hell Dobbins had the huge stand up tackle last year at the 1 inch line in the Ravens playoff game. Fox might be a bit of a concern but he won't see the field much.
Old 08-08-2012   #20
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

The depth chart looks skewed to me in certain places. Primarily at:

Nickel back

And

Slot receiver

Kmart isnt learning AJs spot and as lucky said I heard mcclain this morning on the radio to talking up Bharris. I think kmart has the primary role in the slot and mcmannis/mccain/ball are primary in the nickle. Could be completly wrong here but I dont think that depth chart format reflects those 2 positions and how players are slotted there.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read