Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-25-2005   #61
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

i remember when we had the run and shoot its seems like all we drafted in the 1st round was 1 LB, a bunch of OL and DL in the 1st round. Isnt that pretty accurate. I remember we had a few DB's in the 2nd and 3rd a few WR in the 2nd and 3rd but it seems to have been mostly OL right.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #62
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is comes!

Shelton, who started 77 of 82 games in six seasons with Arizona, was scheduled to begin a two-day visit with the Texans today after the Cardinals released him last week.

You can find the entire story here:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3198504
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #63
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

hmm 2-day.. Are we the only team that's visit will take place for 2 days.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #64
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Here is comes!

Shelton, who started 77 of 82 games in six seasons with Arizona, was scheduled to begin a two-day visit with the Texans today after the Cardinals released him last week.

You can find the entire story here:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3198504
I predict we sign him by the end of week.

Quote:
"I can't tell you why he's available right now. But when there's a guy that has athletic ability, we're going to look into it."
Old 05-25-2005   #65
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

I really hope he does come here and could list valuable reasons:

1. Out of all teams interested, he has most chances of starting here at Houston.

2. He know's we need him right now with our wos and might take this on as him being a "savior"

3. He is very young and might enjoy it down here with a young team, with solid standout youngsters.

4. We have the cap space to sign him to a good deal.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #66
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12713 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans | Shelton in Town for a Visit - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 25 May 2005 17:28:13 -0700

Updating earlier stories, the Associated Press reports free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals) began a two-day visit with the Houston Texans Wednesday, May 25. If signed, Shelton probably will replace OT Seth Wand as the starting left tackle. "We'll go through the process of evaluating him and figuring out how he might fit in," Texans head coach Dom Capers said. "I can't tell you why he's available right now. But when there's a guy that has athletic ability, we're going to look into it."
Old 05-25-2005   #67
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12713 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
really hope he does come here and could list valuable reasons:

1. Out of all teams interested, he has most chances of starting here at Houston.

2. He know's we need him right now with our wos and might take this on as him being a "savior"

3. He is very young and might enjoy it down here with a young team, with solid standout youngsters.

4. We have the cap space to sign him to a good deal.
I agree with these, but these are all also reasons we could end up overpaying for him if we sign him. The one good thing about this situation is I read somewhere that he wants to start at LT, and I think the Bears want to put him in at G, the Jags are looking at him for depth, and I think the Chiefs are looking at him for depth or a G, can't remember. So if what he really wants is to start at LT, Houston is the place for Shelton!
Old 05-25-2005   #68
TigerBait
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
I predict we sign him by the end of week.
And i predict, if that is so, we get critisized by the Cardinals fans just as the Raiders fans did when we got Buchannon.
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #69
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait
And i predict, if that is so, we get critisized by the Cardinals fans just as the Raiders fans did when we got Buchannon.
The Cardinals have fans?
Old 05-26-2005   #70
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
The Cardinals have fans?
All three of them will be here trolling like mad so get ready. It's going to be INTENSE!
Old 05-26-2005   #71
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

livin out here in the phoenix area, anytime i meet someone who says they have cards season tix, i ask "oh, so you're one of the 40?"
Old 05-26-2005   #72
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

i like the move, it doesn't necesarily cut Wand out, i think Pitts makes a better guard than tackle, and keeping him at guard will decrease his asking price when his contract comes up. Wand will give us depth and Shelton at 29 can help push him.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #73
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the fact we are the only team he is meeting with for two days is huge. Just wait til he gets a load of our facilities and youth and he will be here.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #74
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope we can sign Shelton and the fact that he's here for a 2 day visit is a good indication. But I won't get my hopes up too high. I personally think the Cardinals are going to be one of the surprise teams in the NFL. I think Dennis Green is taking them towards the right direction.
Old 05-26-2005   #75
gwallaia

Rep Power: 82734 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I think the fact we are the only team he is meeting with for two days is huge. Just wait til he gets a load of our facilities and youth and he will be here.
Who ever gives him the most money is where he will end up. If Capers likes him, hopefully the Texans can work out a deal.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #76
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

CARDINALS NOTEBOOK

By DARREN URBAN
TRIBUNE
-
-
CONTACT WRITER: (480) 898-6495 or durban@aztrib.com

****Cardinals coach Dennis Green stressed Thursday there was a simple reason why he decided to cut offensive lineman L.J. Shelton.
Shelton simply didnít produce.
"I deal in results," Green said. "I donít think many people around here are used to dealing in results.
"I came here in 2004, I saw in four (home) games, there were less than 25,000 people in the stands. Somebody has to be accountable for that. People are not going to see you play unless you accept the responsibility of putting a winning team on the field. Thatís what I always do."
Green reiterated he thought the line was the teamís most underachieving unit when he took over last year. After cutting both Shelton and tackle Anthony Clement over the past couple of weeks, four of the teamís five offensive line starters from 2003 are no longer with the team.
The lone player remaining, tackle Leonard Davis, also got a subtle admonition from Green.
We hope Leonard Davis accepts the challenge that he be as good as (Pro Bowlers) Walter Jones and Orlando Pace because he had that kind of promise coming out, he was drafted in that kind of position and he has that kind of potential," Green said.
Green deflected questions asking him to assess his line depth. But he left no doubt that changes are possible.
"We started it last year and we are into it again this year and we will probably continue it next year," Green said. "Itís nothing personal against Shelton or Clement or anybody else. Itís just part of what you have to do if you are going to be a winning football team."
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #77
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
CARDINALS NOTEBOOK

By DARREN URBAN
TRIBUNE
-
-
CONTACT WRITER: (480) 898-6495 or durban@aztrib.com

****Cardinals coach Dennis Green stressed Thursday there was a simple reason why he decided to cut offensive lineman L.J. Shelton.
Shelton simply didnít produce.
"I deal in results," Green said. "I donít think many people around here are used to dealing in results.
"I came here in 2004, I saw in four (home) games, there were less than 25,000 people in the stands. Somebody has to be accountable for that. People are not going to see you play unless you accept the responsibility of putting a winning team on the field. Thatís what I always do."
Green reiterated he thought the line was the teamís most underachieving unit when he took over last year. After cutting both Shelton and tackle Anthony Clement over the past couple of weeks, four of the teamís five offensive line starters from 2003 are no longer with the team.
The lone player remaining, tackle Leonard Davis, also got a subtle admonition from Green.
We hope Leonard Davis accepts the challenge that he be as good as (Pro Bowlers) Walter Jones and Orlando Pace because he had that kind of promise coming out, he was drafted in that kind of position and he has that kind of potential," Green said.
Green deflected questions asking him to assess his line depth. But he left no doubt that changes are possible.
"We started it last year and we are into it again this year and we will probably continue it next year," Green said. "Itís nothing personal against Shelton or Clement or anybody else. Itís just part of what you have to do if you are going to be a winning football team."
Well, now that sounds promising doesn't it? I'm sure this guy will do a very good job backing up Seth Wand if it comes to that. Someone is probably going to pony up "stupid money" for him though because he's a LT and so many people need one. I hope it's not the Texans. I hope if the Texans sign him (which I am not opposed to by the way because I see him as an improvement over Spears) I hope they do it for a reasonable "quality depth" type of contract.
Old 05-26-2005   #78
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Competing for a spot and having it handed to you are two different things. That said, I hope we don't sign him and hand him the starting spot. I would like to see him take it from Wand.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #79
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL
Default its not a fair fight

Wand can't fight for a LT spot cuz he doesn't have the footwork needed.

He can have a fair fight for a Guard or RT spot, but, he just isn't talented enough as far as the speed and mobility needed to play LT.

If they bring in a legit LT like Shelton, then Wand won't be a LT.

However if they continue to toil with Guards and Right Tackles fighting each other for the Left Tackle spot then Wand does have a chance.

Moving Pitts and Wand around isn't going to solve their problems, just like a new blocking scheme and quicker throws........its like putting play-dough on a deep cut, it might stop the bleeding, but, eventually the whole apendage will be infected.

I have no idea what that play-doh thing means, but, to me it does seem like they are going with the play-doh solution for our TEXANS O-line.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005   #80
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
Wand can't fight for a LT spot cuz he doesn't have the footwork needed.

He can have a fair fight for a Guard or RT spot, but, he just isn't talented enough as far as the speed and mobility needed to play LT.
I don't think that review of Wand is accurate at all. His feet and stance have consistantly been lauded. It is his technique and formerly his strength which have been questioned.

For example:

Quote:
Positives: Very light on his feet for a player his size Ö Has the quickness needed to instantly get into the defender coming off the snap Ö Capable of moving laterally on pulls and traps Ö Has very good balance, keeping his feet on the move Ö Solid inline blocker with improved strength and hand usage Ö Very alert picking up stunts and twists Ö Has the frame to add more bulk with no loss in speed Ö Shows good kick slide and shuffle adjusting to the edge rush in pass protection Ö Bends his knees properly and fires off the ball with aggression.

Negatives: Needs to improve his playing strength, as he does not show the power needed to keep defenders from running over him and pushing him back into the pocket Ö Gets his hands up quickly, but is more of a finesse blocker than a mauler (defenders use rip moves to get into his chest to drive him back) Ö Needs to show a sense of urgency blocking for the ground game, as he is not always quick to locate and stalk the linebacker at the second level Ö Looks awkward coming out of his stance, as he does not keep a wide leg base and tends to lean and reach too much Ö Lack of arm-extension technique will see him slip off a few blocks rather than sustain Ö Does not show good hand punch in pass protection, which lets the defensive end escape and redirect inside Ö Has a documented learning disability that could pose problems digesting a complicated play book.
Link

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read