Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2005   #41
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually I have played QB before, not on the NFL level, but I have played it before. The QB rolls to whichever side there is the less amount of pressure coming from, which is usually the right side. Why do you think the LT is the most important position on the O line? Because the best DE usually plays on the right side of the defensive line, or the left side of the O line. Also, a right handed QB will roll to his right because it is easier to throw while rolling to his right, as long as there is no pressure on the right side.
Old 05-24-2005   #42
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Actually I have played QB before, not on the NFL level, but I have played it before. The QB rolls to whichever side there is the less amount of pressure coming from, which is usually the right side. Why do you think the LT is the most important position on the O line? Because the best DE usually plays on the right side of the defensive line, or the left side of the O line. Also, a right handed QB will roll to his right because it is easier to throw while rolling to his right, as long as there is no pressure on the right side.
put it this way...Have you ever played dodge ball? Well, imagine that you are facing a guy with the ball and he is coming after you. Which direction are you going to go? Are you going to go in his direction? Probably not. Your 1st reaction is most likely to be to go in the opposite dirction to get away from him. In getting away from him, you get nailed by a guy coming from your blindside. You were so focused on the guy in FRONT of you that you didn't even notice that the guy on your blindside was about to nail you. That is basically what Carr has to deal with. He sees the guy in his face, so he tries to go the other direction and runs right into the DE coming from the other side. What I was trying to say is that if you are the QB and you have a guy in your face, your natural first reaction is to try and run the other direction. Understand?
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #43
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think you understand. Most of the time, the most pressure comes from the left side.
Old 05-24-2005   #44
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
I don't think you understand. Most of the time, the most pressure comes from the left side.
You still don't get what I am saying. Whether pressure comes from the left most of the time or not doesn't matter. It has no bearing on the point I am trying to get across to you. If you SEE someone COMING FROM THE SIDE YOU ARE FACING getting ready to HIT you, where are you going to go? Are you going to go in his direction so he can hit you sooner?

If you see the pressure coming from the right side and you don't see it coming from your left side because you are not facing in that direction, isn't your natural tendency to avoid what you can see?

Last edited by vtech9; 05-24-2005 at 09:35 PM.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #45
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think center is one of our weak links also..McKinney gets pushed back to much into Carr's face.. it is one thing to get beat by the defensive end for a sack than for wand or Wade to do their job and keep the DE where he needs to be only to have carr get flushed out into the hands of the DE..

I guess that counts as a coverage sack..too bad Carr only has about 2-3 seconds to throw.

funny thing about the stats.. look at DD stats on runs up the middle.. not a bad average.. too bad lot of his yards are because of draw plays on 3rd and long..
Jags game should tell you we need help on interior of line..we tried 4 times to punch it in from the one.. and it had to be done by Carrs leap.. and he barely got that.. don't get me wrong,Jags have some monsters in the middle,but it is bad when we barely get a yard after multiple tries.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #46
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Go back and watch tapes of the Texans games. Most of Carr's pressure comes from the middle. He can't step up into the pocket because it has collapsed. Once Carr has to leave the pocket then all blocking angles get messed up. Even though Carr mainly goes to the right, Wand's man gets a disproportionate share of the sacks because usually the right defensive end is the best pass rusher and is the guy who is able to finish the job.

An all too common occurance would be for Carr to drop back, see pressure up the middle, roll to his right and then get run down from behind by the right defensive end. Even though it was Wand's man who gets credit for the sack, it was the defensive tackle or linebacker coming through the middle who caused the sack.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #47
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Does that add up to 49?. I know Carr didn't run out of bounds that many times.
Remember, Miller/Bruener/Norris/and Davis are responsible for sacks as well. That is where the figure seperates.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2005   #48
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Bears | Shelton has Good Visit - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 24 May 2005 20:59:35 -0700

Terry Bannon, of the Chicago Tribune, reports free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals) had a good visit with the Chicago Bears Tuesday, May 24, according to agent Vance Larimer. "He had a good visit with the Bears, and he has a high interest level," Larimer said. "Right now we're evaluating opportunities." The Bears see Shelton, a former starting left tackle with the Arizona Cardinals, as a potential starter at right guard and a backup tackle. Unless he can't land a starting job somewhere else, it is doubtful Shelton would sign with the Bears.
Umm, is it me or is that two totally different reactions?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #49
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Umm, is it me or is that two totally different reactions?
I think that when he said "he has a high interest level", he was refering to the fact that alot of teams are interested in him. I could be wrong, because the way it is worded does seem the other way around.
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #50
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I guess it was a good visit for a team he isn't really considering? If this is the scenario, then I think there's a very good chance he signs with Houston.

The agent is just trying to stir up the contract negotiations a little higher.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #51
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

nobody knows the 85 oilers o-line?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #52
outofhnd
All Pro

The only guy i remember is Bruce Mathews & Mike Munchak (if he was around in 85) because i was 8 at that time.

Hmm I Think the acquisition of an every down TE will do more for the sack total than a new O lineman the only thing shelton can do is either Push or overtake wand for the left tackle job unless there is an O line shuffle taking place.maybe they moved wand to guard so that he can watch pitts and see what pitts does that Wand doesn't

I Personally think wand is afraid to grab a little jersey. I think he needs to learn the lil things like not jumping so far back from the rest of the line on passing plays. he put himself on an island with Freeney a lot. Who knows though maybe he just doesnt react to the speed rush fast enough and gets blown backwards.
Old 05-25-2005   #53
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
add Dean Steinkuhler to the list

the other 2 escape me at the moment
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #54
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe David Williams was one OT.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #55
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
Mike Munchak G
Harvey Salem T
Don Maggs T
Jim Romano C
Bruce Matthews G
Jamie Williams TE

I could be mistaken but I think Dean Steinkuhler was hurt this year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #56
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I could've swore Bruce Davis was still the LT and Don Maggs was not with the Oilers at that time yet. I think he joined sometime in the 90s.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure about the timing anymore either. Maggs was picked by us in 84 though. What year did the USFL fold? 84?

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/ro...nnual/1985-hou

http://www.drafthistory.com/suppleme...ntal-1984.html

Old 05-25-2005   #58
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Mike Munchak G
Harvey Salem T
Don Maggs T
Jim Romano C
Bruce Matthews G
Jamie Williams TE

I could be mistaken but I think Dean Steinkuhler was hurt this year.
Ahhh, memory lane...I don't even remember Romano or Maggs being with the team, but besides Munch & Matthews, who could forget Spider Man?
Old 05-25-2005   #59
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

i remember maggs its salem and romano i dont remember
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #60
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
i remember maggs its salem and romano i dont remember
Harvey was traded to the Lions for a 2nd round pick (memory cloudy on the pick). He went on to a few Pro Bowls I think.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read