Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2012   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp: Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Smith keeps his head on a swivel and clocks the defender.

http://youtu.be/bLtxMzOxuYE

Smith gets to the front side shoulder and seals his guy inside.

http://youtu.be/pbgQ0ezDIyA

Smith gets to the second level and seals the 'backer.

http://youtu.be/-T1uTSklLK4
Those videos say that Smith is an undrafted free agent, and he wasn't. He was drafted in the 6th, iirc.

EDIT: Good stuff, though.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #42
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've observed, other than his rookie year, the Texans have kept him on the right side. Has anyone seen him working on the left side since? Admittedly, I have been the most anti-Duddard person since he's been on this team, but I cannot figure out why Smith hasn't moved in behind W. Smith at LG.

Shelly Smith is the biggest mystery to me on this team and has been since his rookie year.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #43
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Shelly Smith really looked good Saturday night at LG, which is his natural position given his impressive athleticism. He was very quick getting into the second-level and going after 'backers.
The big rookie guard didn't do too badly for his first NFL game. I think he's still clearly more of a power than a zone type OLineman, and not just because of his size.
Now I think we got concerns at RT because both Butler and Newt got embarrassed in pass-blocking. Of course it's early and nobody should panic just yet, but I'm hoping to see some improvement in next weeks game. On the positive side, their run-blocking was solid.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree. I'm not sure how quickly it will take place, but Brooks will be the RG. Honestly, I think the only thing holding him back is the knowledge and experience of the playbook. IMO, he's already surpassed Caldwell from the limited amount I've seen of him.

I know I seem to be doggin Caldwell quite a bit. I actually think he's a good dude. It just takes that certain mean streak to play in the trenches. I don't think he has it.
Conservative Gary is already replacing 2/5ths of his offensive line. The pressure to win now is as gr8 as it's ever been.

If his left guard struggles the way he did last year, my money is on him waiting on the vet to turn it around before introducing a new face to the OLine.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read