Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2012   #1
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 411 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Training Camp: Offensive Line

Just looking through the excellent pictures provided by bullpenPhotos, it looks like they're trying out a few different combinations.

I'm seeing Newton a lot at RT.

For you guys who have actually been there, what does it look like to you? Is Butler entrenched as the starter, or is Newton giving him a run for his money?
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #2
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp: Offensive Line

Newton looked real good from I saw.
Old 08-04-2012   #3
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 2221 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRich View Post
Just looking through the excellent pictures provided by bullpenPhotos, it looks like they're trying out a few different combinations.

I'm seeing Newton a lot at RT.

For you guys who have actually been there, what does it look like to you? Is Butler entrenched as the starter, or is Newton giving him a run for his money?
You need to remember that Brown has been out lately which means both Butler and Newton are getting first team snaps at the same time. From the pictures, they were getting switched around between LT and RT. Seems to me like Kubiak intends it to be in a competition and we'll have to wait til the pre-season games to see who wins.

Also, Caldwell was exchanging with Brooks on 1st team RG but with Brooks having heat issues Caldwell might win the spot by default.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

talking about the oline is about has nerdy has u can get i love it ... anyway anything is a upgrade over eric winston so i could care less who the starter is on RT

and even tho it shows mad toughness that Mike brisle played most of the time with a bum leg i think u gotta know that fine line of what can help ur team or hurt u team like playing injured
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown is out with injury so Butler and Newton will both get alot of time with the straters at the same time at LT and RT respectively. As good as the reports have been about Brooks, I don't think there's any way he starts at RG over Caldwell. Kubiak just doesn't trust rookies enough. I think it's a very good thing that we seem to have some very good depth in Newton and Brooks, and would be looking for both of these guys to be starters in 2013. Hopefully they gain some playing experience during the season. The starting O-line will be:

LT-Brown
LG-W. Smith
C-Meyers
RG-Caldwell
RT-Butler
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #6
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 411 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
As good as the reports have been about Brooks, I don't think there's any way he starts at RG over Caldwell. Kubiak just doesn't trust rookies enough.
You mean other than Brown, Winston, & Spencer... Kubiak just doesn't trust rookies.
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #7
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
talking about the oline is about has nerdy has u can get i love it ... anyway anything is a upgrade over eric winston so i could care less who the starter is on RT

and even tho it shows mad toughness that Mike brisle played most of the time with a bum leg i think u gotta know that fine line of what can help ur team or hurt u team like playing injured
You're crazy, there's a reason Winston got picked up right away for 5 million a year.
Old 08-05-2012   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything on Ben Jones
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Anything on Ben Jones
He is getting plenty of work as Myers back-up.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
As good as the reports have been about Brooks, I don't think there's any way he starts at RG over Caldwell.
I agree that Brooks won't likely start on opening day. But, Caldwell has had injury issues and rotated with Brisiel in the past. I would be surprised if Brooks didn't get a fair number of snaps over the course of the season.

The Texans official site's depth chart has not been updated (what's new?). Can anyone provide a depth chart based upon what they've seen at practice?
Old 08-05-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if Brooks earns a starting job in pre season when the games begin.

His greatest attribute is his physicality and ability to move/punish people.

You can't fully display that in any form of practice.

I think if he has a basic understanding of the plays he'll be able to showcase himself.

If he gets out there and is visibly out physical-ing the guys on defense it's going to be hard to keep that out of the line up.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

On the fb spot;

I think the decision is going to be tougher than some might imagine.

I think this is another spot that will need to be decided in actual games. Might be a little difficult to let go of a good, athletic young fb with pop.

Kubiak said they are only keeping one fb so I'm also wondering if they go with only 4 total fb/te's. OD, Casey, Grahm, and a fb. I've advocated for this as I think it's efficient and productive barring the group stays relatively healthy.

I think it would open up the door for us to keep an extra wr and/or rb.

I'm a Jonathan grimes fan so I wouldn't mind him making the team. And I also like trindon a lot.
Old 08-05-2012   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I agree that Brooks won't likely start on opening day. But, Caldwell has had injury issues and rotated with Brisiel in the past. I would be surprised if Brooks didn't get a fair number of snaps over the course of the season.

The Texans official site's depth chart has not been updated (what's new?). Can anyone provide a depth chart based upon what they've seen at practice?
Ourlads depth charts seem to consistently keep the most updated site for such info (last updated 08/04/12).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 145454 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Ourlads depth charts seem to consistently keep the most updated site for such info (last updated 08/04/12).
Damn, there's a lot of talent on this team.

There are some good players going to be cut by us this year.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #15
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 2221 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Based on TexansBullpen photos, this is what I have for first and second string:

LT: D. Brown / A. Gardner
LG: W. Smith / S. Smith
OC: C. Myers / B. Jones
RG: A. Caldwell / B. Brooks
RT: R. Butler / D. Newton
WR: A. Johnson/ K. Walter / K. Martin / L. Jean / D. Posey (the last three are getting rotated all over the place. Put Martin first because he looks to be the most likely to get slot WR duty)
TE : O. Daniels / J. Casey / G. Graham
FB : D. Smith / M. Norris (have to imagine Casey is the true frist string but has seen little time at FB so far)
RB : A. Foster / B. Tate / J. Forsett
QB: M. Schaub / T.Yates

LDE: J. Watt / T. Jamison
NT: S. Cody / E. Mitchell
RDE: A. Smith / J. Crick
SOLB: B. Reed / B. Braman
SILB: B. James / T. Dobbins
WILB: B. Cushing / M. Alexander
WOLB: C. Barwin / W. Mercilus
CB: J. Joseph / K. Jackson / B. McCain / A. Ball / S. McManis /B. Harris (Hard to evaluate off of pictures. Note that since Kareem was out McCain was being used outside. I believe McManis did 1st string nickle while Harris was 2nd string nickle. Much to my dismay, Ball was working consistently with the 2nd string.)
LS: D. Manning / T. Nolan
RS: G. Quin / Q. Demps (For the safeties, they seemed to be on a specific side no matter the offensive formation.)
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Um, Studdard running 2nd team guard (ahead of Shelley Smith)? Not good for Smith.

Also Keo ahead of Demps at SS? I know that the returners can't be right (aren't Holliday and Martin in the lead?).
Old 08-05-2012   #17
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
On the fb spot;

I think the decision is going to be tougher than some might imagine.

I think this is another spot that will need to be decided in actual games. Might be a little difficult to let go of a good, athletic young fb with pop.

Kubiak said they are only keeping one fb so I'm also wondering if they go with only 4 total fb/te's. OD, Casey, Grahm, and a fb. I've advocated for this as I think it's efficient and productive barring the group stays relatively healthy.

I think it would open up the door for us to keep an extra wr and/or rb.

I'm a Jonathan grimes fan so I wouldn't mind him making the team. And I also like trindon a lot.

I'd bet a wooden nickel Smith ain't making this team. Norris was clearly the better blocker (Smith had nice soft hands but he was on the ground quite a few plays the other day).
Old 08-05-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I'd bet a wooden nickel Smith ain't making this team. Norris was clearly the better blocker (Smith had nice soft hands but he was on the ground quite a few plays the other day).

If I'm not mistaken Smith has been running with the ones quite a bit if not almost exclusively.

You don't spend that much time with the first team with no shot at making the roster.

When the games start if smith is making his blocks and still showing that good burst and athleticism from that fb spot I think you might have to find that wooden nickle.
Old 08-05-2012   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Brooks earns a starting job in pre season when the games begin.

His greatest attribute is his physicality and ability to move/punish people.

You can't fully display that in any form of practice.

I think if he has a basic understanding of the plays he'll be able to showcase himself.

If he gets out there and is visibly out physical-ing the guys on defense it's going to be hard to keep that out of the line up.
Preach it.

I wanna see Brooks steamrolling defenders. I think the only O-lineman we drafted this year, who doesn't make the 53, is Mondek. And he'll go to the PS.
Old 08-05-2012   #20
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken Smith has been running with the ones quite a bit if not almost exclusively.

You don't spend that much time with the first team with no shot at making the roster.

When the games start if smith is making his blocks and still showing that good burst and athleticism from that fb spot I think you might have to find that wooden nickle.
You are mistaken, Norris was taking first team reps the other day.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read