Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214156 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Evaluate our safeties

Our safeties were better in 2014 imo but I was still not very happy. I feel confident Lewis will be back and Manning gone. I feel optimistic about Ballantine and so so about Swearinger. I have followed many of your comments this last season but want an end of season evaluation to clarify my thoughts on drafting for this position.

As of now, I have been mocking Cody Prewitt 2-51 as someone who could push Swearinger and perhaps start sometime in 2015. Considering drafting someone like Adrian Amos day three and he has played some corner. I like both but feel Amos would have to play back up longer than Prewitt.

Issue: if KJ and Joseph are back, is a high draft pick safety necessary when another position could be drafted? My position is if we keep at least one, we should be solid and again do not need a high pick for safety. Second round used for another position?

Your thoughts appreciated.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
PHILLYTEXANFAN
All Pro

Rep Power: 26019 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evaluate our safeties

I'm for Lewis, couple of big/clutch plays.. Swearinger is a walking flag imo
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214156 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
I'm for Lewis, couple of big/clutch plays.. Swearinger is a walking flag imo
any thoughts on drafting that position and where?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58734 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Our safeties were better in 2014 imo but I was still not very happy. I feel confident Lewis will be back and Manning gone. I feel optimistic about Ballantine and so so about Swearinger. I have followed many of your comments this last season but want an end of season evaluation to clarify my thoughts on drafting for this position.

As of now, I have been mocking Cody Prewitt 2-51 as someone who could push Swearinger and perhaps start sometime in 2015. Considering drafting someone like Adrian Amos day three and he has played some corner. I like both but feel Amos would have to play back up longer than Prewitt.

Issue: if KJ and Joseph are back, is a high draft pick safety necessary when another position could be drafted? My position is if we keep at least one, we should be solid and again do not need a high pick for safety. Second round used for another position?

Your thoughts appreciated.
I don't recall Ballantine playing. Why are you optimistic with him?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 187119 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree Manning is gone, I'm ok with Lewis but would like him to be 3rd safety maybe. Swearinger needs strong coaching on discipline and moved to SS. He needs to learn to focus on making the tackle and not going for the strip or big hit every play.

I would like to draft the best, fastest, safety with the best ball skills. Draft early if need be. I would like a safety that can play centerfield and make a difference. A Sanders/Thomas type safety.

From what I've seen Prewitt can be that guy so I'm good with him in the second if he's there

edit: I don't know Ballentine at all. He spent all season on IR or PS
Brain Cushing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
If I know the FO, they're not going to get a top QB. Mallett will turn out to be a 1-game flash, but it will be discovered too late.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 476409 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I would like to draft the best, fastest, safety with the best ball skills. Draft early if need be. I would like a safety that can play centerfield and make a difference. A Sanders/Thomas type safety.
Yup, a real FS and draft high certainly if there is a good one available.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
PHILLYTEXANFAN
All Pro

Rep Power: 26019 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
any thoughts on drafting that position and where?
SS in the 2/3 rd
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I don't recall Ballantine playing. Why are you optimistic with him?
Last two seasons at Memphis had 66 and then 58 tackles.

Gil Brandt: "DRAFT ANALYSIS:
"Ballentine ran the 40 twice at his pro day and posted times of 4.39 and 4.45 seconds (hand-timed). He also posted a vertical jump of 38 inches."

Quote:
STRENGTHS Exceptional size, length and closing speed. Can get over the top and leverage the field. Plays with emotion. Superb pro day workout, posting some sub-4.4-second 40 times and a 38-inch vertical jump. Flashes straight-line striking ability when he has a clean angle.
WEAKNESSES Pedals tall and does not play to timed speed. Has a bit of a track mentality. Cautious running alley. Not a strong, face-up, wrap tackler. Does not trigger quickly vs. the run and is late to see plays developing. Average processing speed. Gives up too much separation in transition and is not quick out of his pedal. Shaky hands -- not a natural catcher and will mistime jumps. Marginal career production on the ball.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 6-7
BOTTOM LINE A long-limbed, rangy back-half defender with intriguing straight-line speed, range and leaping ability to compete for a job as a backup safety and special-teams performer. Has intriguing physical tools to be molded if he bows up.
-Nolan Nawrocki
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ine?id=2549940

April in his second season with Houston he turns 22. I love everything about him and see him as a SS type with some FS skills.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 187119 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last two seasons at Memphis had 66 and then 58 tackles.

Gil Brandt: "DRAFT ANALYSIS:
"Ballentine ran the 40 twice at his pro day and posted times of 4.39 and 4.45 seconds (hand-timed). He also posted a vertical jump of 38 inches."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ine?id=2549940

April in his second season with Houston he turns 22. I love everything about him and see him as a SS type with some FS skills.
sounds like good depth behind Swag
Brain Cushing
Quote:
If I know the FO, they're not going to get a top QB. Mallett will turn out to be a 1-game flash, but it will be discovered too late.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
sounds like good depth behind Swag
Yes and my conundrum as due to 2014 play, not sure I want to gamble on just him and a third day pick. Still leaning towards Prewitt but appreciate all posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 440126 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to upgrade at Safety just to get up to average.

DJ makes wayyy too many mistakes.

I really like Prewitt and you can tell he's got sharp/alert mind.

Adrian Amos popped some at Senior Bowl practices but need to dig deeper.

I'm not seeing a shutdown corner in this draft, so safety would be my preference.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
We need to upgrade at Safety just to get up to average.
^^^^ This

Our safety play since inception has been abysmal. Outside of Quinn showing promise and Manning his first year, have we ever had even an "average" Safety?
Brain Cushing
Quote:
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37582 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Lewis and think he's worth resigning. I agree Manning is most likely gone, and Swearinger is just to undisciplined making dumb mistakes. I haven't seen anything from Ballantine to form an opinion from, right now he's just a camp body. I agree a pick is necessary but I think there are bigger issues at CB, WR, O-line, LB's, and obviously QB. I've got FS in the 4th round of my latest mock, Durrell Eskridge. I like the fact that he's more of a coverage FS than a head hunter and really like his height/length and long arms with good speed. I think he'd be an asset over the middle when it comes to covering tall athletic TE's or when switching to nickle or dime packages. I could also go for Chris Hackett.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 150373 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fine with our safeties with some real competition to challenge them. I think swearinger will improve and I like Lewis. Would like a real centerfielder. Upgrade would be nice. But I think lb is the biggest defensive priority.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 353401 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I generally don't like to talk bad about any of our players (yep, I'm one of them). But trying to figure out what Dj is good at & how we could exploit that.

I'm coming up blank...

It's only been two years, but I'm not comfortable with him being the last line of defense. I don't want to see him in man coverage. I don't want to see him in zone. The only time I'm comfortable seeing him on the field is as the smallish LB that assists in run defense & occasionally rush the passer.

I'd have much rather seen Dmo, Bouye, & Hal on the field before Swearinger. I know they're CBs, but that's where I'm at.

We need better safeties, at least two.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142856 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'm fine with our safeties with some real competition to challenge them. I think swearinger will improve and I like Lewis. Would like a real centerfielder. Upgrade would be nice. But I think lb is the biggest defensive priority.
^^^^
This

Obviously the offense is adding speed is a huge priority. If you add a WR/OL in rds 1-3 then you've got to make a choice on whether you want to spend a high pick on either LB or Safety. I would choose LB in the 2nd over Safety. Unless Prewitt is available. I really like Prewitt and Dawson. They would be perfect fits.

If Lewis isn't re-signed then Safety becomes a top priority. I cant wait to see where the Texans stand after FA.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 45256 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Not sure why you guys are so down on Swearinger..

- he sets a good tone on defense like it or not we needed some of it.
- he's improved from his rookie season performance.
- his second defensive scheme in two years, let's see how he improves.
- he's got 5 turnovers, tied for the most in the secondary with Lewis

He should make good improvement this year, I think we have bigger problems to spend a second round pick on.

- running back (they can't stay healthy)
- tight end (we have 0 vertical seam threat)
- wide receiver (we have to address this sooner)
- QB (obvious)
- ILB (Cushing is done)

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149177 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

He should make good improvement this year, I think we have bigger problems to spend a second round pick on.

- QB (obvious)
- ILB (Cushing is done)
He's not good in coverage and he misses too many open field tackles trying to make a big hit by leading with his shoulder instead of wrapping up. In fact there were a few of our secondary guys guilty of that last year. I hope RAC breaks them of that crap this year.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we drafted PJ Williams in the first and played him at safety. Maybe then TY Hilton wouldn't be blowing past our secondary so much.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

- QB (obvious)
- ILB (Cushing is done)
I am unsure why you cannot see Swear the way we do. The "tone" he sets is he frequently gets a flag, shoulder blocks rather than wrap up and tackle. In evaluating QB, we want about a 3-1 TD to INT ratio, with Swear you seem to get a "two good plays and then a terrible" one. He often reminds of Keo in that regard except ratio was reversed.

Most players generally improve from rookie to second season so he gets little credit for that. I don't see the defensive schemes being radically different and he needs to have a Kareem Jackson third season awakening.

RBs? Foster played in 13 games and other than 2013 with back issues (351 carries 2012) he has missed only 6 games since 2010. Blue played all 16 and started three. Not sure of your point?

Agree on WR but we basically played 2 1/2 all season and the 2 will be back. I draft a franchise type (Parker) #16 if there but deep draft and can pick up very good player round 3/4.

Cushing is going nowhere with 72 tackles and with confidence in his wheels again, should be better. Hopefully lats will return a bit more.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 476409 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am unsure why you cannot see Swear the way we do. The "tone" he sets is he frequently gets a flag,...
D.J. had 2 penalties all season - 1 roughing the passer and 1 personal foul.

Quote:
In evaluating QB, we want about a 3-1 TD to INT ratio
More like something over 2-1. QBs getting to 3-1 this season:

Big Ben
Brady
Rogers
Wilson
Romo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read