Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: which QBs will be on '14 roster?
Fitzpatrick + NEW_QB 10 13.89%
Fitzpatrick + Yates 0 0%
Fitzpatrick + Keenum 0 0%
Fitzpatrick + Yates + NEW_QB 11 15.28%
Fitzpatrick + Keenum + NEW_QB 47 65.28%
Fitzpatrick + Keenum + Yates 0 0%
Fitzpatrick + Keenum + Yates + NEW_QB 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2014   #1
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QBs on '14 roster

I was wondering how many QBs will be on our 53 men roster this year...

what do you think is the most likely scenario?

(PS: with "NEW_QB" I mean the one we will acquire via draft or FA/Trade)
Old 03-24-2014   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QBs on '14 roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I was wondering how many QBs will be on our 53 men roster this year...

what do you think is the most likely scenario?

(PS: with "NEW_QB" I mean the one we will acquire via draft or FA/Trade)
Probably three and maybe a fourth on the practice squad.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #3
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Probably three and maybe a fourth on the practice squad.
that would be my guess too, I don't think they will put on practice squad the #1 overall pick, (if he is a QB of course) but at the same I don't think TJ or case will go from active roster to practice squad, so if we go QB at 1-1 we'll lose one of them...

I really don't know what to expect
Old 03-24-2014   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitzpatrick + new QB + new QB
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Keenum will be gone. Yates is still cheap, and he's got the size OB is looking for.
Old 03-24-2014   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think Keenum will be gone. Yates is still cheap, and he's got the size OB is looking for.
Other than the same generic stuff every coach says about preferring size what is there that makes you or anyone think he is size obsessed?
Old 03-24-2014   #7
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe Yates or Keenum will be PS eligible. Likely both or at least one of them is gone. Depending if they carry 2 or 3 QB's on the 53 man roster.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2014   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think the trade for Mallet deal is gone... won't happen. But if it does, I would think Mallet & Fitz would make the roster & Yates & Keenum are out.

& even though there apears to be some kind of attachment to Keenum from high up in the organization... I think the game is too fast for him. I've yet to see Tj run backwards & take a 20 yard sack (I've also never seen him drop back 20 yards & throw a 70+ yard TD either, but...)

So I think it will be Fitz, Yates, rookie
Old 03-24-2014   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think the trade for Mallet deal is gone... won't happen. But if it does, I would think Mallet & Fitz would make the roster & Yates & Keenum are out.

& even though there apears to be some kind of attachment to Keenum from high up in the organization... I think the game is too fast for him. I've yet to see Tj run backwards & take a 20 yard sack (I've also never seen him drop back 20 yards & throw a 70+ yard TD either, but...)

So I think it will be Fitz, Yates, rookie
I think that you may be right about Keenum but O'Brien will tell us that. If that's the case then he'll part with Keenum without hesitation and make management understand why that has to happen. If he looks at him and decides that the game isn't too fast for him but rather that those kinds of plays resulted from something else (what that would be I won't speculate) then he'll keep him and I think that we'll be able to say that he kept him because he thought he could do something with him. Same goes for Yates. Regardless of who we keep (if anyone) I'm looking forward to seeing that player in another system behind an improved offensive line.
Old 03-24-2014   #10
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cant see Yates still being here, and think Keenum may find a home as a back-up in Philly, or another location where his skill-set matches the scheme more closely. Seattle maybe?

I think it will be Fitz, plus draft-choice, plus either another draftee or FA.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

How upset would you be if the Texans decide they don't like any of the QBs in this draft?

If they decide to have a QB battle in camp & Case or Tj wins (whoever you like more, let's not get into a Case vs Tj thing)?

I can't imagine that happening, but if it does... I'm upset. It will be difficult for me to believe the Texans are trying to win in 2014 & it's going to make it very difficult for me to want to make that two hour drive to Houston.
Old 03-24-2014   #12
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Cant see Yates still being here, and think Keenum may find a home as a back-up in Philly, or another location where his skill-set matches the scheme more closely. Seattle maybe?

I think it will be Fitz, plus draft-choice, plus either another draftee or FA.
Much will be decided on whether Yates decides to improve or is satisfied to maintain like last year.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How upset would you be if the Texans decide they don't like any of the QBs in this draft?

If they decide to have a QB battle in camp & Case or Tj wins (whoever you like more, let's not get into a Case vs Tj thing)?

I can't imagine that happening, but if it does... I'm upset. It will be difficult for me to believe the Texans are trying to win in 2014 & it's going to make it very difficult for me to want to make that two hour drive to Houston.
I think if they don't like any of the QBs in the draft, as in likely 2015 starter, that is exactly what they should do.

What you want to waste a 3rd or 4th to salve your feelings on whether they are trying? You really think that is a good indication - spending a pick on a QB they don't believe will add to the chance of success this year or in the future either.
Old 03-24-2014   #14
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think if they don't like any of the QBs in the draft, as in likely 2015 starter, that is exactly what they should do.

What you want to waste a 3rd or 4th to salve your feelings on whether they are trying? You really think that is a good indication - spending a pick on a QB they don't believe will add to the chance of success this year or in the future either.
I don't want them to waste a pick on a QB they don't believe in. There are too many holes to fill for that luxury.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I wouldn't be upset as much as I'd be confused. If they didn't draft any QB's at all I'd be watching for the upcoming trade or free agent signing.

If that then didn't happen I guess I'd be wondering if O'Brien really saw something in either of them or if he was just treading water for a year. I'd assume that would be with the Texans front office approval.

Then I'd do the only thing I could do. Hope the guy who got picked to start lit it up. That wouldn't make it any more likely to happen but what else can I do?

Old 03-24-2014   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You can't just draft any old quarterback if you need one. If you get to a certain pick and the QBs you have remaining aren't at the top of your board at that point, you draft what's at the top of your board.

If you get through the entire draft without drafting a QB, so be it.

That given, I expect us to target a QB later in the draft. (I know it kills Lucky to use the word "target" and "later in the draft", but that's the way I think it works.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Other than the same generic stuff every coach says about preferring size what is there that makes you or anyone think he is size obsessed?
Well, I don't really see either of them impacting the team, so whoever gets the 3rd QB spot it won't matter too much in regard to football. I can only assume they are equally attractive as 3rd string practice QBs, but Yates is a more prototypical 6'4, and Keenum is 5'11.

However, Keenum was an UDFA, so cutting him costs us nothing in the way of salary or compensatory picks. TJ Yates was a 5th round pick, who is not making considerably more money than Keenum (+150k), and could potentially give the Texans a compensatory pick next offeseason if a team signs him. So if I were Rick, I'd shop around after the draft to see if Keenum can fetch a late round pick, or maybe package him with a current pick to swap up a round in this year's draft. It's a cheap price to pay for potentially a 6th or 7th next year, or more importantly, it could protect a higher compensatory pick from being nullified through free agency.
Old 03-24-2014   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well, I don't really see either of them impacting the team, so whoever gets the 3rd QB spot it won't matter too much in regard to football. I can only assume they are equally attractive as 3rd string practice QBs, but Yates is a more prototypical 6'4, and Keenum is 5'11.

However, Keenum was an UDFA, so cutting him costs us nothing in the way of salary or compensatory picks. TJ Yates was a 5th round pick, who is not making considerably more money than Keenum (+150k), and could potentially give the Texans a compensatory pick next offeseason if a team signs him. So if I were Rick, I'd shop around after the draft to see if Keenum can fetch a late round pick, or maybe package him with a current pick to swap up a round in this year's draft. It's a cheap price to pay for potentially a 6th or 7th next year, or more importantly, it could protect a higher compensatory pick from being nullified through free agency.
OK. I misread your post then. Seems like quite a few people are predicting Bortles now basically off of size. Figured you would explain better than most.
Old 03-24-2014   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I don't want them to waste a pick on a QB they don't believe in. There are too many holes to fill for that luxury.
What they said.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If they don't take one of the top three this year, it's slim pickings after that. This is not a good year for QBs unless you got a top 5 draft pick. This draft is going to be interesting for the Texans. No matter what they do, this board will totally destroy itself that Thursday night. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read