Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2012   #41
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would you trade Ben Tate for...

PapaL had the best post in this thread...

Not even close
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #42
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
No.

We have the best one two punch in the NFL.
This is really all that need be said.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't trade Tate for anyone right now. We are going to have to rely on the running game heavily this year.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #44
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trading RB Ben Tate for a receiver?

Justin Forsett is showing well so far in training camp. If Forsett continues to perform well and none of the young receivers step up during the preseason to show they are ready to be starters, then Texans should consider trading Ben Tate. He has high trade value with two years left on his contract and already a proven commodity in NFL. (He would likely be a 1st rounder in a re-draft).

The challenge is finding a fit at WR on another team. The following should be considered: (1) The team has to need a RB (2) their WR core has to be deep enough to trade a player (3) their WR has to be established but not expensive as our salary cap cannot handle it.

Two targets I found were Damaryius Thomas or Hakeem Nicks.

Thoughts? Any other WR to consider?
TexansRule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #45
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trading RB Ben Tate for a receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansRule1 View Post
Justin Forsett is showing well so far in training camp. If Forsett continues to perform well and none of the young receivers step up during the preseason to show they are ready to be starters, then Texans should consider trading Ben Tate. He has high trade value with two years left on his contract and already a proven commodity in NFL. (He would likely be a 1st rounder in a re-draft).

The challenge is finding a fit at WR on another team. The following should be considered: (1) The team has to need a RB (2) their WR core has to be deep enough to trade a player (3) their WR has to be established but not expensive as our salary cap cannot handle it.

Two targets I found were Damaryius Thomas or Hakeem Nicks.

Thoughts? Any other WR to consider?
Its a good idea, one that should be considered. However, Tate would not net neither Thomas nor Nicks in return. Set your sights lower.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not interested.

Last edited by Playoffs; 07-30-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #47
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Dayum!!

All I got was this:
Quote:
No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Old 07-30-2012   #48
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I also think players like Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb could be considered.
Old 07-30-2012   #49
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
All I got was this:
Quote:
No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
I guess the topic number changed when it was merged.(?)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I also think players like Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb could be considered.
I would love to get Cobb.

They will probably offer James Jones.

After much debate I would take Jones and a 4th rd pick for Tate.

This will never happen.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #51
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
And by the way, Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis is actually a very solid running back.
That's debatable. Either way, he isn't anywhere near as good as Tate. Tate would be a huge upgrade to their running game.

The Pats would have no desire to do this though. Welker is a lot more important to their passing game than an upgrade at the running game would be.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #52
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Ok... Whatever. He averages 4 yards a carry and has never turned over the pig skin. I don't know what football world you live in but in my book, that's a solid running back.
He's not on the Pats .

If they were going to trade Tate they would have taken the Browns 22nd pick in rd 1 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
He's not on the Pats .

If they were going to trade Tate they would have taken the Browns 22nd pick in rd 1 .
Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda

It's too late now.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #54
TexansRule1
Rookie

I see Ben Tate like a Michael Turner clone. He was a backup to a stud and future Hall of Famer. When free agency came, he signed a big deal with Atlanta. When Ben Tate is up for his first FA deal, he will get premium money like Turner did.

If you trade for him now, you get a very young back who is already proven. I think the Texans should be setting their sights higher than someone like James Jones who at best is a #2. I think a GM can already see that Tate can excel in this league and should be worth a lot.
Old 07-30-2012   #55
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda

It's too late now.
Which means the Texans didn't want to trade Tate .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #56
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see Ben Tate like a Michael Turner clone. He was a backup to a stud and future Hall of Famer. When free agency came, he signed a big deal with Atlanta. When Ben Tate is up for his first FA deal, he will get premium money like Turner did.

If you trade for him now, you get a very young back who is already proven. I think the Texans should be setting their sights higher than someone like James Jones who at best is a #2. I think a GM can already see that Tate can excel in this league and should be worth a lot.
James Jones reminds me of a more reliable Jacoby Jones. I don't think he's #2 material really and I wouldn't trade Tate for anything less than a sure fire #2.

Nicks and Thomas are not going to get traded.

This FO had adequate opportunity to address the issue early in the off-season, but were too worried about trying to retain Williams that the FA WR possibilities now are just...dried up and your best options are vets who don't have great histories or are washed up.

I am still pretty upset at how cheap they could've gotten Brandon Lloyd for and did nothing.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #57
TexansRule1
Rookie

Hey things change. That's why I made my post. Justin Forsett has shown up in training camp. He started for Seattle, but seems much more suited for a team like the Texans. Tate is trade worthy if you have a capable backup. A condition the Texans didn't know about and won't be sure of until later in camp.

When facts change, one should reexamine their conclusions.
Old 07-30-2012   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking we need a WR but not at any cost. Unless someone falls in our lap, I'd trust our coach to utilize the RBs, AJ, TEs and yeah even Walter to produce in the passing game. I could be wrong but I also think Martin will develop into an option. If we could get a WR for draft picks this is the year due to extra selections. On any play, we should have 3-4 options open for a pass. It will be up to Matt to get the ball to open guy.
Old 07-30-2012   #59
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey things change. That's why I made my post. Justin Forsett has shown up in training camp. He started for Seattle, but seems much more suited for a team like the Texans. Tate is trade worthy if you have a capable backup. A condition the Texans didn't know about and won't be sure of until later in camp.

When facts change, one should reexamine their conclusions.
How many days are we into training camp? 2-3 days? And you advocate that Justin Forsett has shown up in training camp? Trade Tate?

God I hope not.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #60
TexansRule1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
How many days are we into training camp? 2-3 days? And you advocate that Justin Forsett has shown up in training camp? Trade Tate?

God I hope not.
Actually here is what I said:
Quote:
Justin Forsett is showing well so far in training camp. If Forsett continues to perform well and none of the young receivers step up during the preseason to show they are ready to be starters, then Texans should consider trading Ben Tate.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read