Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2012   #101
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

None of this would be that big of an issue if our GM that hates free agency hadn't ignored the huge need at WR that we've had for the last 3 seasons. We have failed to address the problem and anyone who isn't brain dead knows exactly how bad this offense turns once AJ isn't out there anymore.

This may not be a big deal, but it also could be. WHo knows at this point, but this kind of thing just keeps on happening to AJ, and this franchise keeps on ignoring the glaring need we have at WR. Anyone thinking that KW is a legit #2 WR in this league needs their head examined.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #102
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
None of this would be that big of an issue if our GM that hates free agency hadn't ignored the huge need at WR that we've had for the last 3 seasons. We have failed to address the problem and anyone who isn't brain dead knows exactly how bad this offense turns once AJ isn't out there anymore.

This may not be a big deal, but it also could be. WHo knows at this point, but this kind of thing just keeps on happening to AJ, and this franchise keeps on ignoring the glaring need we have at WR. Anyone thinking that KW is a legit #2 WR in this league needs their head examined.
Well at least our jobs are not on the line if this team regresses this year. Oh wait, these guys got a new contract this year.
Old 07-30-2012   #103
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not really fair TBH. I remember no AJ and us still easily scoring at will, we were still destroying defenses.... Drumroll..... Until schaub went down. I do agree we need another WR but our O was still good last season with schaub as QB and no AJ
Old 07-31-2012   #104
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ's gonna have to take a pay cut so we can trade or sign someone decent if he wants a ring. The guy deserves his pay from the years we sucked (I think he sacrificed his body over the years the way he played the game), but if its more about the ring than the check something has to give.

AJ is the best Texan to ever wear the jersey in my opinion, and I want him to retire as a Texan, but there needs to be more production per dollar. When he's healthy he is still the best (agaim in my opinion), but he hasn't been completely healthy the last couple of years.
Old 07-31-2012   #105
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cant address every need in one or two drafts.

We had a sucky defense that needed to be built up properly. They've tried to do that--via the previous d-coord, and failed--so they went back to the well with Wade Phillips (and he succeeded).

This draft, Kubiak went after some WR talent. Again, the Texans felt the best option in round 1 was a guy for Wade's defense. I suppose they didn't feel there was a potential Second Coming of Andre Johnson in round 1 to be had at our position in round 1...so they went defense because a guy was there whom Wade and Rick didn't think would still be there.

I get the frustration. I do. But in all fairness, this offense has a better shot at winning without guys like Schaub/AJ than other AFC South teams have with all of their starters out there. We're riding a crest of a wave that has taken a awhile to build, and other teams are sort of trying to find their identities and are struggling a bit.

My best-case scenario is to let AJ play out the next two years, then go after a better/younger WR1 in free agency that can be paid AJ'ish money. Though I seriously doubt McNair is going to EVER let AJ walk away from us. It's a damned-if-we-do, damned-if-we-don't situation, IMO.
Old 07-31-2012   #106
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My best-case scenario is to let AJ play out the next two years, then go after a better/younger WR1 in free agency that can be paid AJ'ish money. Though I seriously doubt McNair is going to EVER let AJ walk away from us. It's a damned-if-we-do, damned-if-we-don't situation, IMO.
What I'm expecting is that we have AJ in spots and we've got to hope we've got him at his best at the right times. But I don't expect any more full seasons from him. I don't expect him to be our down-in and down-out #1 target anymore.

Whether McNair is going to allow Rick to ditch AJ is the question. I don't know if he will. I hope AJ gets to play out the rest of his career here and I hope he continues to shine when he gets his opportunity.

But I think we've got to find someone to be the real main #1 threat soon and the way we've drafted and went about free agency, we're gambling on it being in this crop of young receivers. I hope that pans out but if we're drafting WR in the first round next year, it's not going to be good.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #107
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Fact,

Gary/Rick let AJ play on a bad hamstring last yr to save their jobs and now those chickens are coming home to roost.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2012   #108
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Fact,

Gary/Rick let AJ play on a bad hamstring last yr to save their jobs and now those chickens are coming home to roost.
This is the same AJ whose helmet they had to hide to keep him off the field against the Niners a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it was AJ who gave the medical staff bad information about how hurt he was because he thought he could play through it.
Old 07-31-2012   #109
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is the same AJ whose helmet they had to hide to keep him off the field against the Niners a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it was AJ who gave the medical staff bad information about how hurt he was because he thought he could play through it.

Im sorry but if you are a coach or manager and resort to such childish acts to get your employees to comply with what you want you are piss poor at your job.
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #110
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Im sorry but if you are a coach or manager and resort to such childish acts to get your employees to comply with what you want you are piss poor at your job.
Not so! These are GROWN men we're talking about, not "kids!" At some point in time these GROWN men need to act like it and not expect their coach or manager to be their babysitter.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #111
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

As our roster has strengthened, team will be able to correct this issue in draft.
Old 07-31-2012   #112
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There are good, SB winning coaches who've had their big-name players go back onto the field against their wishes. I believe it's happened to Holmgren with Farve and I know it happened to George Allen with Billy Kilmer and I think I recall it happening to Coach Gibbs with Doug Williams. I'm not positive but I think I recall it happening to Chuck Noll with one of those guys on the Steel Curtain.

It's really easy for a starter to insert himself back into the lineup. He just has to run out there and tell one of the other guys to get off the field.
Old 07-31-2012   #113
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are good, SB winning coaches who've had their big-name players go back onto the field against their wishes. I believe it's happened to Holmgren with Farve and I know it happened to George Allen with Billy Kilmer and I think I recall it happening to Coach Gibbs with Doug Williams. I'm not positive but I think I recall it happening to Chuck Noll with one of those guys on the Steel Curtain.

It's really easy for a starter to insert himself back into the lineup. He just has to run out there and tell one of the other guys to get off the field.
And no third string receiver is going to say no to Andre.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #114
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224911 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:

Yup. Staubach went onto the field several times against Landry's wishes as well.

In general those players were admired for their grit but apparently they all just had poor coaches.

Coaches don't have time for prolonged arguments in the middle of the game and as you say nobody is stopping a star from just running onto the field.
Old 07-31-2012   #115
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I love it all. I trained under Ben Pryne and Lou Faralan up in the NW and when I moved down here trained with Sam Hogar with MFS until Miletich and Hogar split. So a healthy mix of traditional BJJ and catch wrestling with a lot of Muay Thai focus. Spent some time with the Washington state freestyle wrestling team, went up to Surrey BC, down to Seattle, all over. Even trained at the old team quest in Biersch Oregon a few times.

Got quite a few stories, we'll chat all about it at the game Mikey.

Nate

If you know Sam Hoger, then you probably know Paige, aka Posh, who dated Sam for a short while, and spent some time at Miletich?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #116
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I love it all. I trained under Ben Pryne and Lou Faralan up in the NW and when I moved down here trained with Sam Hogar with MFS until Miletich and Hogar split. So a healthy mix of traditional BJJ and catch wrestling with a lot of Muay Thai focus. Spent some time with the Washington state freestyle wrestling team, went up to Surrey BC, down to Seattle, all over. Even trained at the old team quest in Biersch Oregon a few times.

Got quite a few stories, we'll chat all about it at the game Mikey.

Nate
I've had my kid train in the Muay Thai style. Mix in a little grappling and some core strength and he is just about ready to turn the tables on me and whip my butt soon. I'm right at that point where I'm not sure I want to find out where he's at since I know good and well where I'm at now that I'm 48 and he's 6' 220.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #117
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've had my kid train in the Muay Thai style. Mix in a little grappling and some core strength and he is just about ready to turn the tables on me and whip my butt soon. I'm right at that point where I'm not sure I want to find out where he's at since I know good and well where I'm at now that I'm 48 and he's 6' 220.
Sounds to me like you already have a good idea how that would shake out. LOL
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #118
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Not so! These are GROWN men we're talking about, not "kids!" At some point in time these GROWN men need to act like it and not expect their coach or manager to be their babysitter.

I know they arent kids and thats exactly why you shouldnt have to resort to hiding player equipment
Old 07-31-2012   #119
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup. Staubach went onto the field several times against Landry's wishes as well.

In general those players were admired for their grit but apparently they all just had poor coaches.

Coaches don't have time for prolonged arguments in the middle of the game and as you say nobody is stopping a star from just running onto the field.

Piss poor in handling the situation or having the control you should have running a team. If a player is doing something against what you have expressed the excuse shouldnt be well he just did it anyways and its dre
Old 07-31-2012   #120
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Piss poor in handling the situation or having the control you should have running a team. If a player is doing something against what you have expressed the excuse shouldnt be well he just did it anyways and its dre
Uh, no.

Coach is watching the field, not trying to keep tabs on if #80 is complying with the trainer's advice and coach's decision that he (AJ) remain off the field.

I'd be MORE pissed if our coach was not watching the game on the field. He doesn't need to be babysitting players...he's got 53 grown ass men and can't watch em all at once.

So if #80 finds a way to sneak onto the field when he shouldn't be out there...then that's on #80 and on #80 alone.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read