Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2012   #81
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I greatly respect CND and appreciate his input on the issue, after tearing my MCL twice and having a bunch of other issues from years of grappling/fighting/other sports, I know how long groin injuries take to heal. If this were the regular season he would play next game. I'm not worried about it one iota.
To be fair, CnD did not say AJ "will" suffer compensatory injuries as GP puts out - he said there is a danger of compensatory injuries. And when he made the comment it was about hamstrings not groins although I would presume there is a danger with basically any injury to a leg to have a compensatory injury.
Old 07-30-2012   #82
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
You're going to have to tell me all about your MMA experiences when we meet up for the game. Being a large man, I presume you're a ground attack kinda guy?
I love it all. I trained under Ben Pryne and Lou Faralan up in the NW and when I moved down here trained with Sam Hogar with MFS until Miletich and Hogar split. So a healthy mix of traditional BJJ and catch wrestling with a lot of Muay Thai focus. Spent some time with the Washington state freestyle wrestling team, went up to Surrey BC, down to Seattle, all over. Even trained at the old team quest in Biersch Oregon a few times.

Got quite a few stories, we'll chat all about it at the game Mikey.

Nate
Old 07-30-2012   #83
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm expecting dre to miss time at some point (or maybe multiple points) next season.

I think we're going to carry 6 wr's.
I don't expect AJ to be in more than 10 games this season. However, if he can still be AJ in those 10 games, I'll take it any day of the week over a bunch of unknown rookies.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #84
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I greatly respect CND and appreciate his input on the issue, after tearing my MCL twice and having a bunch of other issues from years of grappling/fighting/other sports, I know how long groin injuries take to heal. If this were the regular season he would play next game. I'm not worried about it one iota.
The point is not about this incident.

The point is that it'll always be something, consistently, so today it's the groin...several weeks later it's the knee...then a quad...etc.
Old 07-30-2012   #85
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Minor glitch.

AJ will start all 16, the playoffs, and the SB.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #86
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

The point is that it'll always be something, consistently, so today it's the groin...several weeks later it's the knee...then a quad...etc.
Exactly. It's a tough reality for everyone to swallow, but it is what it is. AJ is aging and he's not in his prime anymore. I'm concerned that the FO hasn't already had someone on the roster to groom for the future # 1 spot. Everyone and their brother knew that Jacoby wasn't going to be that guy. He never had # 1 potential. The fact that AJ is our only option at this point is concerning, to say the least. Maybe one of the new kids will be able to step up, but it won't be this season. Hopefully AJ will be able to somehow remain in pretty good playing shape throughout the season. I just don't like the odds.

I think it has nothing to do with his current level of conditioning either. You have to look at him like a prized thoroughbred. They both get optimum nutrition and training. They both are only able to compete at that elite level for so long. We just have a hard time letting go of our human athletes because we relate to them on another level. I hope the guy the best and I'm hoping he proves me wrong, but I think it's about time to put him out to pasture.
Old 07-30-2012   #87
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He's missed more games since Schaub has been here than Schaub has, yet people label Schaub injury prone all the time. And while Schaub's injuries have resulted from things like giant men running into and/or landing on him, AJ's injuries have resulted from running over those mischievous yard line markers. So I don't know what makes someone injury prone, but he's more injury prone than Schaub, as a point of reference.

Great point. I think overall Schaub isnt as big of a favorite as AJ and because of this people give AJ a pass while bagging on Schaub
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2012   #88
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

BS.

Complete over-reaction.

AJ is strong and fast and those types of athletes tend to see injuries more because they are working so hard at being strong and fast. If you never work the muscle it probably wont get strained. If you work the hell out of it you stand a better chance at having an issue.

He will be fine.

The Texans will be fine.

Super Bowl 2013!
Old 07-30-2012   #89
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Great point. I think overall Schaub isnt as big of a favorite as AJ and because of this people give AJ a pass while bagging on Schaub
Maybe because AJ is the best receiver to ever play in this city, and Schaub isn't even a top three QB in this city.
Old 07-30-2012   #90
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Aj is injury prone at this point. And said it about shammy and I'll say it about dre, if you won't call him injury probe he's at least prone to being injured.

I think aj is just injury prone though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #91
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Aj is injury prone at this point. And said it about shammy and I'll say it about dre, if you won't call him injury probe he's at least prone to being injured.

I think aj is just injury prone though.
You gotta be careful about that. There's a whole thread on that and Chik-Fil-A in the NSZ, don't bring up "probing" over here, LOL.
Old 07-30-2012   #92
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Until I see AJ out there for all 19 games (regular season + playoffs) this season, I'll be worried about him.

There's a lot of "stepping up" that needs to happen in our WR corps this year even if AJ doesn't have any health issues. And I expect AJ to have health issues and miss at least a few games.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #93
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

You need to see the NFL forum.

A new thread is started over there. Apparently Jerry Jones said he wants the Cowboys to return to the "GLORY HOLE years they enjoyed in the past." I **** you not. Go read the thread. He really, really goofed up in an interview.
Old 07-30-2012   #94
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:

A new thread is started over there. Apparently Jerry Jones said he wants the Cowboys to return to the "GLORY HOLE years they enjoyed in the past." I **** you not. Go read the thread. He really, really goofed up in an interview.
I heard that on 94.5 this morning on my drive in to work. I lol'd when they played the audio clip, over & over & over again.
Old 07-30-2012   #95
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Link? I can't find it.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #96
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Link? I can't find it.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...06#post1987106
Old 07-30-2012   #97
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
You gotta be careful about that. There's a whole thread on that and Chik-Fil-A in the NSZ, don't bring up "probing" over here, LOL.
LOL....nice catch
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #98
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24776 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Major difference in injuries I would say, the bulk of his injuries seem to be training/conditioning issue. What's going on did he pick up a new trainer or routine or does he need to adjust his routine now that he's a bit older/different injuries?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #99
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Major difference in injuries I would say, the bulk of his injuries seem to be training/conditioning issue. What's going on did he pick up a new trainer or routine or does he need to adjust his routine now that he's a bit older/different injuries?

The difference in AJ going down on his own twice last year and again in training camp on his own are a lot different than having somone else break a bone in your foot and thus AJ should catch more crap for it but does because it is liked more overall. Im pretty sure this has a lot less to do with who is training AJ than it does with AJ getting older
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #100
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll admit, that I over reacted a bit. & I know missing 22 games over a 9 year career (144 games; 15%) isn't a big deal. But we're talking about 12 of the last 34 (Counting play-offs, 35%) & he isn't getting any younger.

But this issue goes back several years, highlighted by last offseason. We were finally in a position to add some talent to the offense. No offense to KDub, but when Andre is out nobody (that I know of) is satisfied with KDub as the highest guy on our WR pecking order. That's a problem that has needed to change for a while. I know we tried with JJ.. good effort, just didn't work out & not working out is part of the game.

Now this has nothing to do with not being able to retain Mario Williams, I'm over that. But in my mind, that is the reason we weren't able to target a first round talent at WR. Maybe our FO didn't think there was a first round talent worth getting. The way the draft played out, I'm good with that. But then to trade out of the 2nd that's my biggest issue.

So we got Devier (sp) & KMart. Are they true second round talents? I don't know. But I'm thinking the chances of getting a true second round talent are greater, if you pick that guy in the first or the second round. Expecting Devier & Keshawn to outplay their draft status is really loading the cart on the wrong side. IMO.

We're all lucky that I'm not running this team, I'll say that much. I'd have already signed Roy Williams or Plaxico Burress. Heck, I would have sold the farm to get Ocho Cinco (or is it Chad Johnson??). Right now, I'd be desperate & talking to the player we love to hate... yep, that guy.

[/rant]
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read