Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 07-26-2012   #1
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NCAA wanted to give Penn State 4 year death penalty

Quote:
If Penn State had not accepted the package of NCAA sanctions announced Monday, the Nittany Lions faced a historic death penalty of four years, university president Rodney Erickson told "Outside the Lines" on Wednesday afternoon.

In a separate interview, NCAA president Mark Emmert confirmed that a core group of NCAA school presidents had agreed early last week that an appropriate punishment was no Penn State football for four years.

Emmert told Erickson in a phone conversation on July 17 that a majority of the NCAA's leadership wanted to levy the four-year penalty because of Penn State's leaders' roles in covering up the child sexual abuse of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

"Well, that's a pretty tough number to swallow," Erickson said he recalled thinking when told of the four-year possibility by Emmert. "It's unprecedented. It's a blow to the gut; there's no doubt about that ... I couldn't agree to that at all."

Almost immediately after that conversation, intensive discussions between Penn State and the NCAA began in earnest, Erickson said. Penn State lobbied for the NCAA to take the death penalty off the table, and the NCAA described a series of other sanctions, both "punitive and corrective" in nature.

The discussions were so secretive that most members of Penn State's embattled Board of Trustees had no idea they were happening, several trustees said.

Indeed, the trustees had thought Erickson was officially responding to a Nov. 17 letter of questions from the NCAA. In the interview on Wednesday, Erickson said the letter was set aside last week as the discussions between Penn State and the NCAA intensified.

Erickson said if Penn State did not agree to the sanctions, a formal investigation would have begun and the university could have faced a multiyear death penalty, as well as "other sanctions," including a financial penalty far greater than $60 million.

"There were figures that were thrown around that were quite large," he said.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-death-penalty
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NCAA wanted to give Penn State 4 year death penalty

Like I said earlier, Penn State got off light.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer the punishments they got. It hurts the student athletes less than it does the school itself.

A 4 year death penalty would have been tragic for many of those athletes, and they had nothing to do with the problem. At SMU, the athletes were at fault as well
Old 07-26-2012   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Blake they got off very light. ESPN keeps ranting that Penn St. was punished harshly, no they weren't. 60 mil. in fines is nothing to a school that size, they raised 200 mil. last year from alumni alone during the scandal. 10 scholarships a year out of 100+ players on the team, 4 yr. ban from bowl games while their still on t.v. every weekend, and vacating all the wins from 1998 to 2012 does nothing to anyone. If you commit a 14 yr. crime shouldn't you get more than a 4 yr. penalty. Shouldn't the penalty exceed the crime so as to be a deterrent to everyone.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I prefer the punishments they got. It hurts the student athletes less than it does the school itself.

A 4 year death penalty would have been tragic for many of those athletes, and they had nothing to do with the problem. At SMU, the athletes were at fault as well
I don't agree that the penalty hurts the athletes in any way, they are free to transfer to any other school without penalties. If Penn St. had been given the death penalty, just because they can't play their doesn't mean they can't play. If I go to a bar and they refuse me entry, it doesn't mean I can't party that night, I'm free to go somewhere else.
Old 07-26-2012   #6
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree with Blake they got off very light. ESPN keeps ranting that Penn St. was punished harshly, no they weren't. 60 mil. in fines is nothing to a school that size, they raised 200 mil. last year from alumni alone during the scandal. 10 scholarships a year out of 100+ players on the team, 4 yr. ban from bowl games while their still on t.v. every weekend, and vacating all the wins from 1998 to 2012 does nothing to anyone. If you commit a 14 yr. crime shouldn't you get more than a 4 yr. penalty. Shouldn't the penalty exceed the crime so as to be a deterrent to everyone.

Just to explan the scholorship allocation you can only add 25 new scholorships a year to your team so long as the total roster of scholorships doesnt exceed 85. So the 100+ number doesnt apply and it certainly has an pretty big impact overall.

Also of note the NCAA's actions arent ment to somehow compensate for 14 years worth of crimes. The criminal court is to take care of that the best it can but no one can fairly compensate for the crimes that occured
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #7
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I don't agree that the penalty hurts the athletes in any way, they are free to transfer to any other school without penalties. If Penn St. had been given the death penalty, just because they can't play their doesn't mean they can't play. If I go to a bar and they refuse me entry, it doesn't mean I can't party that night, I'm free to go somewhere else.

Would you say that SMU players had an active role in the issues that SMU was punished for?

Would you say that Penn St players had an active role in the issues Penn St has been punished for?
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2012   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Erickson said if Penn State did not agree to the sanctions, a formal investigation would have begun and the university could have faced a multiyear death penalty, as well as "other sanctions," including a financial penalty far greater than $60 million.
this little snippet bothers me the most. So if they didn't agree to sanctions, the NCAA says they will really investigate and expose PSU fully, as opposed to not fully disclosing and exposing everyone and everything. If I had a kid that was hurt I'd want everything on the table...not some negotiated settlement between power brokers.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #9
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally don't think the university should face any sanctions at all, those in the know should be sent to prison, period. Its a criminal matter.
Old 07-26-2012   #10
gwallaia

Rep Power: 82734 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

A 4 year death penalty would have been catastrophic to the economy to that region. Millions of people would have been penalized because of the actions of a few people.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Excuse me,

When a football program aids and abets a child predator for 14 yrs, then said progam should face the most harsh sactions in NCAA history. That didn't happen to Penn St.

Remeber innocent childrens lives have been ruined and Penn St administration allow childrens lives to be destroyed for 14 yrs.

May they all get what's coming to them in the end.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #12
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Excuse me,

When a football program aids and abets a child predator for 14 yrs, then said progam should face the most harsh sactions in NCAA history. That didn't happen to Penn St.

Remeber innocent childrens lives have been ruined and Penn St administration allow childrens lives to be destroyed for 14 yrs.

May they all get what's coming to them in the end.

I'm not sure it was the football program that allowed this to go on but rather just 4 people involved. Those 4 people are no longer with the school, one dead, one in jail and two with charges on the way. The NCAA is not in the position to compensate those kids lives for 14 years of problem. I have no problem with the punishment but people acting like everything should be destroyed seem a little out of touch with reality
Old 07-26-2012   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I'm not sure it was the football program that allowed this to go on but rather just 4 people involved. Those 4 people are no longer with the school, one dead, one in jail and two with charges on the way. The NCAA is not in the position to compensate those kids lives for 14 years of problem. I have no problem with the punishment but people acting like everything should be destroyed seem a little out of touch with reality
Paterno was the athletic dept.

I'm sorry if you think the head of the athletic dept. (Paterno) covering up for a child molestor for 14 yrs is being unrealitic/doesn't warranty the worst punishment in NCAA history. We will have to agree to disagree.

Do you ever wonder how many young boys lives were destroyed/could've been saved from a life of torment if Joe Pa had done the right thing and turned Sandusky in to the cops?

For the whole Penn St higherarchy to turn their backs on the victims makes me ill and the university deserved the worst punisment possible. Hell they aren't even going to be kicked off TV.
Old 07-26-2012   #14
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Paterno was the athletic dept.

I'm sorry if you think the head of the athletic dept. (Paterno) covering up for a child molestor for 14 yrs is being unrealitic/doesn't warranty the worst punishment in NCAA history. We will have to agree to disagree.

Do you ever wonder how many young boys lives were destroyed/could've been saved from a life of torment if Joe Pa had done the right thing and turned Sandusky in to the cops?

For the whole Penn St higherarchy to turn their backs on the victims makes me ill and the university deserved the worst punisment possible. Hell they aren't even going to be kicked off TV.
Ok, but how does giving Penn St the death penalty penalize those that commited these acts? Your only punishing those who had nothing to do with it, those that are totally innocent in this matter.
Old 07-26-2012   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Ok, but how does giving Penn St the death penalty penalize those that commited these acts? Your only punishing those who had nothing to do with it, those that are totally innocent in this matter.
It sets a precedent.

And yes players will be hurt by this, but that's the price they have to pay for signing with such a vile institution. They can transfer immediately.
Old 07-27-2012   #16
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
You are punishing the SCHOOL, for creating and fostering an environment that allowed a child molester to roam free and prey on his victims for YEARS.

Do people suggest that companies not be punished when their leaders break the law that the punishment forces the employees to suffer?
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #17
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
You are punishing the SCHOOL, for creating and fostering an environment that allowed a child molester to roam free and prey on his victims for YEARS.

Do people suggest that companies not be punished when their leaders break the law that the punishment forces the employees to suffer?
But you are ALSO punishing the innocent people who depend on Penn State football. You are punishing the vendors who sell food, drink, and souvenirs in the stadium. You are punishing the mom/pop stores, motels, stores etc who depend on the revenue brought in by fans. You are punishing the bars where people go to watch the games. You are punishing the waitstaff who work at the bar who make minimum wage and depend on the tips.

I am all for punishing PSU, but lets remember a death penalty hurts the innocent people more than the University.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #18
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It sets a precedent.

And yes players will be hurt by this, but that's the price they have to pay for signing with such a vile institution. They can transfer immediately.
Except the players were not aware of this when they signed up to play there. Seniors especially, can't really transfer, since games start pretty soon and it would be tough to get up to speed on a whole new package and be able to play ASAP. I think all seniors should be granted an additional year of eligibility to allow them to transfer and still be able to play. Juniors and under can and should transfer out and would not require the extra year.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Would you say that SMU players had an active role in the issues that SMU was punished for?

Would you say that Penn St players had an active role in the issues Penn St has been punished for?
I'm not arguing that SMU players were complicit in their scandal, they obviously were, and I'm not arguing that Penn St. players had nothing to do with the infractions committed there, the current players are obviously innocent. I'm tired of the argument that the current players are the ones being punished for something they didn't do. My point is that the players are not being punished when the football team/University are being punished. The players are free to leave with no penalties, unlike a player that would transfer under normal circumstances. They also get to keep their scholarships and stay if they choose.

As for the crimes and punishment, I'm talking about the 14 yr. coverup/crime by the University not the crimes of Sandusky. The punishment should be at least as long as the crime/coverup. If not where's the incentive not to do it again. If I steal/embezel a million dollars from my company the punishment should be more than a 200K fine.
Old 07-27-2012   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Except the players were not aware of this when they signed up to play there. Seniors especially, can't really transfer, since games start pretty soon and it would be tough to get up to speed on a whole new package and be able to play ASAP. I think all seniors should be granted an additional year of eligibility to allow them to transfer and still be able to play. Juniors and under can and should transfer out and would not require the extra year.
Seems reasonable to me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read