Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-28-2012   #61
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing to Move from Mike to Mo

Now, my original point in this thread, was that last year the talk was moving Cushing to the Mike was going to allow for him to make more plays. Here's a post (a quote from an internet article) from last year, that pretty much says as much.
Quote:
. Note, however, that in the past the left ILB on teams with Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator have seen higher sack numbers than you might expect.
These were Herring's thoughts on Cushing at Mike:
Quote:
We’ve got to take advantage of what we see in Brian Cushing as a tremendous anchor on the tight end side as far as securing the box physically in the run game, and then using him in our package to pressure and blitz him on the inside. At Dallas, Bradie James, same position, led the NFL in inside linebackers in sacks. He had eight in one year in this package from blitzing inside. So the numbers are there, the opportunities will be there.
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRich View Post
Now, my original point in this thread, was that last year the talk was moving Cushing to the Mike was going to allow for him to make more plays. Here's a post (a quote from an internet article) from last year, that pretty much says as much.
These were Herring's thoughts on Cushing at Mike:
What does any of that have to do with the weakside generally being more free to make plays?

Do you know why herring used the word "anchor"?

That should have been a big clue as to what cushings role was in the run game last season. In the 34 the silb is usually the guy that takes on blockers while the wilb plays clean up.

This season James will be playing the "anchor" role while Cushing is more "free" to make plays.

Really, just to be blunt, you don't know what you're talking about. Making plays in the running game and being in a good position to blitz inside on passing plays is not the same thing and you appear to be confusing the two.

The job of the silb against the run is to first take on the lead blocker and close off the lane. Wilb is supposed to clean it up and ideally make the tackle.

Not saying that is always going to happen, but that's how it looks when you draw it up. Sometimes you have players that are so good that they can play on the strong side and *gasp* still be productive. They can take on the extra blockers how they are supposed to and still get to the ball carrier.

But again, just because you make plays doesn't mean you are in the better position to make plays.

Just because your LDE that is ligned up against TE's and tackles and extra blockers all the tine makes more plays than the rde that is facing less blockers doesn't mean the LDE is in a better position.

What it means is he either feels more comfortable lined up there or he's just that much better than the other guy who is in better playmaking position but not making as many plays.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rey, I still don't see any quote from Wade (or even Herring) that says the MO is more free to make play in Wade's scheme.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It doens't matter the defensive scheme, as a former O-lineman, you ought to know the offense draws up blocking schem to take into account all the defenders that are in the running path.

Occasionally, they will option a defender by trying to draw him toward the QB instead.

We even see team running against 8 men in the box, or against more defenders than blockers.
In these instances, very often, the offense may pull a guard or a tackle and/or option the back-side contain man to run to the other side.

It could be on the weak side or the strong side.
Old 07-28-2012   #65
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What does any of that have to do with the weakside generally being more free to make plays?
This thread is not about the weakside generally being free to make plays. This thread is about Cushing moving from Mike to Mo.

The weakside argument is more of a side argument that I addressed in another post. The post you quoted clearly states in the opening line, back to my original point.

I think we call that a segue (sp).

Quote:
Really, just to be blunt, you don't know what you're talking about. Making plays in the running game and being in a good position to blitz inside on passing plays is not the same thing and you appear to be confusing the two.
All I said was that Merriman made plays from either side. CM III makes plays from the Strong side, Strahan made plays from the Strongside.

I did not challenge your argument about the weakside players. Maybe that's where you are confused.
Quote:
Sometimes you have players that are so good that they can play on the strong side and *gasp* still be productive. They can take on the extra blockers how they are supposed to and still get to the ball carrier.
So sometimes, it's not about the position, it's the player? Like moving Merriman from the weak side to the strong side, Cushing from Sam to Mike to Mo, Mario Williams from LDE to WOLB...

But yeah, the way you said it sounds much better. & I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

But, you are right. In Wade's system Merriman was Wade's WOLB, he switched to the Strongside after Wade left.
Old 07-28-2012   #66
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 07-28-2012   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

BTW, I had gone back and watched the first 2 games of 2011.

Against the Colts, Cushing actually lined up as a MO a whole lot more than at MIKE.
(on a balnce 1 back, 2 TE set, I consider the side with Dallas Clark the strong side).
Even when on the strong side, Cushing was not in coverage hardly, and never covered Clark.
He played mostly in the forward mode; this is how the D scheme for him to be a playmanker while the other guy was in coverage more.

Against Miami, Cushing lined up more at the MIKE (about 60/40), but only because the offense sent a man into motion away from Cushing a few more times (turning him form a MO into a MIKE - in name only).
Again, very seldom does Cushing drop into coverage; and he was on Fasano only once.

He did play a lot at the MIKE against the Saints; there are various reasons for this, but I didn't rewatch the game closely enough to name them.

In summary, we've already seen Cushing playing both positions; similar to James (when he was with the Cowboys), there were times when he lined up at one position and did not switch when the offense sent a man into motion to the other side.

MIKE or MO is really just a designation on paper.
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2012   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
BTW, I had gone back and watched the first 2 games of 2011.

Against the Colts, Cushing actually lined up as a MO a whole lot more than at MIKE.
(on a balnce 1 back, 2 TE set, I consider the side with Dallas Clark the strong side).
Even when on the strong side, Cushing was not in coverage hardly, and never covered Clark.
He played mostly in the forward mode; this is how the D scheme for him to be a playmanker while the other guy was in coverage more.

Against Miami, Cushing lined up more at the MIKE (about 60/40), but only because the offense sent a man into motion away from Cushing a few more times (turning him form a MO into a MIKE - in name only).
Again, very seldom does Cushing drop into coverage; and he was on Fasano only once.

He did play a lot at the MIKE against the Saints; there are various reasons for this, but I didn't rewatch the game closely enough to name them.

In summary, we've already seen Cushing playing both positions; similar to James (when he was with the Cowboys), there were times when he lined up at one position and did not switch when the offense sent a man into motion to the other side.

MIKE or MO is really just a designation on paper.
There is so much wrong with this post.

You can't just consider the side with Clark on it the strong side in a two TE set. That's ridiculous.

If you look back at my post I continuously used the word "usually". No it's not the same every play, but there is a difference between the two positions and there is a reason they are switching Cushing and putting James where he is at.
Old 07-28-2012   #69
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Sam, Mike and Will are 4-3 backers. Mike and Mo are inside backers in the 3-4, with the Mike usually being the QB and run stopper. The Mo is used in many ways. As a roamer, pass rusher, coverage, etc.

Terminology can vary by DC. I've heard of a Mike and a Mac in a 3-4 too
And i like cushing in that role i think he will have another monster year. You free him up to just play football. He doesn't have to worry about adjustments etc all he has to do is go crush qb's and destroy anything that comes near him. I like it.
Old 07-28-2012   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There is so much wrong with this post.

You can't just consider the side with Clark on it the strong side in a two TE set. That's ridiculous.
Pretty simple, really.

Look at the first Colts games.
When they were in a balanced 2-TE set, you can be cure to find Quin on that side.

- Check the gamebook, you will see that Quin was designated as the SS.

There were 3 instances in the first half where (from Cover 2), Quin came down to take Clark or to play the run. If Clark release, Quin stays with Clark.
Old 07-28-2012   #71
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I asked about this today after people were done asking questions about Veganism and Barwin's haircut:

Quote:
(on communicating in the headsets with ILBs Brian Cushing or Bradie James) “They can both do it. Brian did it a lot last year because Brian’s a three-down player. DeMeco (Ryans) was on the field first, second down, so Brian did make a lot of calls. Those guys have to be interchangeable, but they’ll both be able to make it.”

(on if you have two headsets on defense) “No, you can only have one, one on the field at a time offensively and defensively. We’ll have to make a decision, but Bradie (James) and Brian (Cushing) are going to be out there at the same time, so we’ll have to lock in to one of them. We’ll have to see how that goes.”
Most media I've ever seen at a practice so it was hard to get questions in but I figured this one was important enough to be pushy about it.
Old 07-28-2012   #72
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks tc.
Old 07-28-2012   #73
BCRich
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I asked about this today after people were done asking questions about Veganism and Barwin's haircut:

Most media I've ever seen at a practice so it was hard to get questions in but I figured this one was important enough to be pushy about it.
If Bradie James is a true LB, meaning that he can actually cover a TE, I suspect we'll rarely be going to Dime. So it may be a moot point. However, I'm glad you asked & didn't settle for the original answer.
Old 07-28-2012   #74
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Bradie James is a true LB, meaning that he can actually cover a TE, I suspect we'll rarely be going to Dime. So it may be a moot point. However, I'm glad you asked & didn't settle for the original answer.
So you see Cush and James as both being in in the nickle? Who do you suggest comes out then?
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #75
BCRich
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
So you see Cush and James as both being in in the nickle? Who do you suggest comes out then?
Cody
Old 07-28-2012   #76
Rey
Hall of Fame

Cody was already rarely in when we went nickle.
Old 07-28-2012   #77
BCRich
Veteran

Quote:
Cody was already rarely in when we went nickle.
Right.
Old 07-28-2012   #78
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right.
You still have one extra player on the field. Whheard the 11 you would field in nicklel?
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #79
BCRich
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
You still have one extra player on the field. Whheard the 11 you would field in nicklel?
4 LBs & 2 DL, your front 7 is now 6

5 DBs (nickel)

5+6 = 11

We did it all last year when we went to nickle.

Demeco came off the field alot because we went with 6 DBs (dime) a lot. We'd add McCain & Nolan (or Demps) and remove Cody & Ryans.

It is my belief, we did that because we didn't have a true LB that was any good in coverage. Adding an extra safety & taking Demeco off the fied allowed Quin to operate like a LB covering the TE or Slot Reciever...... nothing wrong with a safety covering a TE or Slot Reciever, but LBs generally participate more in pass Defense than our LBs did in 2011.
Old 07-30-2012   #80
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Straight from Cushing's mouth. From this I gather Bradie will be coming off the field more times than not during Nickle and Dime situations

Quote:
(on if he would like to rush more) “I think I rush a good amount. I definitely think I will more this year, now being the MO and being the MIKE on third downs. So I’m excited for my opportunities of getting after the quarterback this year.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...e-e1578b57f671

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read