Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2012   #41
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing to Move from Mike to Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Soooo... last year Cush, playing the Mike, had to fight through traffic to make tackles while Demeco's tackles should have been easier to come by? Is that right?

And Cush led the team with 81 tackles. Demeco had 46 (granted, with fewer snaps overall.)

If BRADIE is now the guy having to fight through trash and Cush is free to roam without as much interference and cause wanton destruction and grievous pillaging...

OK.

I don't know if it ended up being "right" or not. I'm just quoting an article that helped me get some context about what the hell a Mo is.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This move should make the defense better.

Cush having moe freedom = great things.

If he can stay healthy.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #43
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Still dont understand why they refer to the other MLB as Mo.
Wade answered me on Twitter. He said Bingham was called the MEG with the Oilers. Bingham didn't like MEG, so they called him MO. Sorry, I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to quote balloon it

@sonofbum: @HOU_TEX -the two inside linebackers in the 3-4 were called Mike and Meg- we changed to Mike and Mo

@sonofbum: @HOU_TEX -Bingham was Meg w/Oilers he wanted to be called Mo rather than Meg
Old 07-26-2012   #44
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW, Wade has replied to me on multiple occasions. Just more proof of how good of a dude he is
Old 07-26-2012   #45
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Wade answered me on Twitter. He said Bingham was called the MEG with the Oilers. Bingham didn't like MEG, so they called him MO. Sorry, I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to quote balloon it

@sonofbum: @HOU_TEX -the two inside linebackers in the 3-4 were called Mike and Meg- we changed to Mike and Mo

@sonofbum: @HOU_TEX -Bingham was Meg w/Oilers he wanted to be called Mo rather than Meg
Glad he answered. I wouldn't have known what a Meg is either.
Old 07-26-2012   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Glad he answered. I wouldn't have known what a Meg is either.
That means that last year, Demeco was MEG Ryans.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #47
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Well played sir.
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2012   #48
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Well played sir.
lol yeah man. I got a chuckle out of that one.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of this is just coach talk.
No matter how they line up, it depends on the actual play calls that allow a certain player more opportunity to make play.

You look at Wade's defense over the year; there were no discernable stats that can show whether the MIKE or the MO made more plays.

James, for example, consitently made more plays pretty much every year he was with Wade than the guy playing next to him.

Sometimes, the designation is just in name only.
I pulled up the first Cowboys game in 2010 against the Redskins as a reference.
James could line up as a MIKE or a MO.
More often than not, when he lined up as a MIKE, he didn't switch when the TE went into motion to the other side (thus he became the MO).
On the other hand, when he lined up as the MO, when the TE went into motion to the other side, he bacame the MIKE.

At other times, it doesn't even matter as Wade designated the SS to spy on the TE the whole way on those particular plays.

How the defense schemes for various defenders to attack is really the key, and not how the players line up.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
No matter how they line up, it depends on the actual play calls that allow a certain player more opportunity to make play.

You look at Wade's defense over the year; there were no discernable stats that can show whether the MIKE or the MO made more plays.
I don't know if all your observations are true or not, but the weakside defenders tend to be the playmakers in every defense.

Wade was not giving coach speak. Yeah, there are going to be times when Cushing will have strong side responsibilities, but more often Brady will be the lb taking on the fb or the lead guard and Cushing will be the clean up man.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #51
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Didn't Merriman play the strong side in Wade's "system" ? Everybody... that's not precisely accurate. A lot of people want to make a big deal about the WOLB position. The position Ware played when Wade was in Dallas. The position they had Mario at.

Speaking of which, look at this post, tell me what you think.

Quote:
On the strongside, you usually look for a bulkier, stronger guy that is better against the run, but not always as good rushing the passer. Look at Whitney Mercilus, I have been saying he fits at LE only. What I mean by that, if I don't think he has the tools to be a dominant pass rusher and line up against LTs. He needs to add a lil bulk, improve against the run, and he will be one of the top 4-3 LEs in the game.

Last edited by BCRich; 07-28-2012 at 10:59 AM.
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRich View Post
Didn't Merriman play the strong side in Wade's "system" ?
Everything I've seen and based off what I remember says merriman was listed as a rolb which is usually the weakside lb.
Old 07-27-2012   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know why Merriman and Ware are being brought up. Cushing is remaining an ILB. Barwin and Reed are the OLB's.
Old 07-27-2012   #54
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Don't know why Merriman and Ware are being brought up. Cushing is remaining an ILB. Barwin and Reed are the OLB's.
I didn't bring them up but they are relevant because whether you are talking about a 43 or 34 the two players on the backside tend to be considered more of your playmakers. Only difference is in a 43 it's the rde and Rolb and in the 34 it's the wilb and wolb.
Old 07-27-2012   #55
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
People were talking about the move to Mo will help Cushing make more plays. The discussion then turned to a bit of bickering about which ILB is set up to make the most plays.

76 said it doesn't really matter the position, Wade will set up his playmaker to make plays.

I agreed & used Merriman, who played SOLB in Wade's system as the play-maker, even though he (Wade) used Ware at WOLB to make plays. Wade has even gone so far as to say his system is set up for the WOLB to rush the passer practically every down. But again, Merriman was the playmaker of Wade's Charger defense, he played SOLB, he thrived with Wade.

So I'm basically agreeing with 76...... Cushing may be the Mo, or the Jack, but he'll probably still be the primary playmaker from the ILB position.
Old 07-27-2012   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
People were talking about the move to Mo will help Cushing make more plays. The discussion then turned to a bit of bickering about which ILB is set up to make the most plays.

76 said it doesn't really matter the position, Wade will set up his playmaker to make plays.

I agreed & used Merriman, who played SOLB in Wade's system as the play-maker, even though he (Wade) used Ware at WOLB to make plays. Wade has even gone so far as to say his system is set up for the WOLB to rush the passer practically every down. But again, Merriman was the playmaker of Wade's Charger defense, he played SOLB, he thrived with Wade.

So I'm basically agreeing with 76...... Cushing may be the Mo, or the Jack, but he'll probably still be the primary playmaker from the ILB position.
1) "people" werent talking about anything. That's a quote directly from wade.

2) merriman was the wolb and Phillips was the solb.

So you can agree with 76 here if you want, but I think I'll go with wade on this one that the move will allow Cushing to make more plays.

It's actually pretty basic football that the backside tends to be free to make more plays.
Old 07-28-2012   #57
BCRich
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yes they were, quote or no quote.
Quote:
No he wasn't.
Quote:
So you can agree with 76 here if you want, but I think I'll go with wade on this one that the move will allow Cushing to make more plays.
Wasn't this the same reason he was moved Inside last season?
Quote:
It's actually pretty basic football that the backside tends to be free to make more plays.
Merriman played SOLB, CM III Played SOLB, Strahan played LDE,

It's pretty basic football really. Playmakers make plays.
Old 07-28-2012   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What's the quote?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No he wasn't.
Ummm, yeah he was.

He was the rolb which is considered the weakside most times.

Phillips was the Lolb.

A quick google search will tell you that.

And yes play makers make plays. That has nothing to do with anything. The point is that being in certain positions frees guys up more than others.

It's almost like arguing that a NT and 5 technique have the same opprotunity to make plays. No they don't. Their roles are different. Yeah wilfork is going to make plays regardless because hes that good, but that doesn't mean he's the one that's actually in a better position to make plays. It just means he's that much better than the guys around him.
Old 07-28-2012   #60
BCRich
Veteran

Quote:
Didn't Merriman play the strong side in Wade's "system" ? Everybody... that's not precisely accurate. A lot of people want to make a big deal about the WOLB position. The position Ware played when Wade was in Dallas. The position they had Mario at.

Speaking of which, look at this post, tell me what you think.

If anyone is interested, please follow the link in the above post. It will take you to a Chargers' fan board, much like this one. The post linked is written by a pretty knowledgeable fan. He talks about Merriman's role when he was on the team, what they did to compensate for his absence & the difference between the SLOB, which Barwin seems to fit. & the WOLB. Very good post.

Quote:
Merriman played WOLB his first two years(Foley played SOLB until he was shot). In 2007, he played almost exclusively SOLB(while SP95 lined up on the weakside and faced the LT). He often had to beat the TE, and a chipping RB because Castillo(3-4 LE) was occupying the RT.
The point is it didn't matter what side he played on, Merriman made plays.

Then he has a little bit about Mercy
Quote:
On the strongside, you usually look for a bulkier, stronger guy that is better against the run, but not always as good rushing the passer. Look at Whitney Mercilus, I have been saying he fits at LE only. What I mean by that, if I don't think he has the tools to be a dominant pass rusher and line up against LTs. He needs to add a lil bulk, improve against the run, and he will be one of the top 4-3 LEs in the game.
I don't know that I necessarily agree, but it was interesting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read