Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-25-2012   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cushing to Move from Mike to Mo

Hmm, I always believed if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, eh, I reckon I'll trust SonofBum

Quote:
Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

Brian Cushing will move from Mike (strong inside) to Mo (weak inside) LB in 2012. Coaches say it'll free him up to make more plays
From the .com
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-136be61f51ee

Quote:
Bradie James enters training camp as a projected starter after signing from the Dallas Cowboys in free agency. James, 31, played for Phillips and linebackers coach Reggie Herring in Dallas from 2007-10, leading the team in tackles each season. He will call the Texans’ defense from the Mike position on the inside.
Quote:
“All four of those guys are challenging each other every day,” Herring said. “They’re competitive. They’re spirited. They’re what I would call an excellent, excellent group of linebackers. All of ‘em are pros, accountable. They demand the best from each other, and the chemistry is unlike I’ve ever been around. That gets you excited as a coach.”
That's pretty cool
Old 07-25-2012   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing to Move from Mike to Mo

Mike & Mo are descriptions for Line Backers in the 4-3, and since Wade runs a base 3-4 I'm a little puzzled by this terminology ? Conner Barwin & Brooks Reed were the OLBs in Wades defense last year with Cushing playing inside: I doubt that Cushing will replace Barwin or Reed, though rookie Mercilus might ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #3
MeLoveTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 1781 MeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Mike & Mo are descriptions for Line Backers in the 4-3, and since Wade runs a base 3-4 I'm a little puzzled by this terminology ? Conner Barwin & Brooks Reed were the OLBs in Wades defense last year with Cushing playing inside: I doubt that Cushing will replace Barwin or Reed, though rookie Mercilus might ?
To my understanding the 4-3 LB have always been termed Mike (Middle) Sam(Strongside) and Will(Weakside).

This is the first I have heard the term Mo, but i would like to know where it would fit in the 4-3, since Mike is the universal term for Middle LB in that particular defense.
MeLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #4
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

They want his production to drop so he will be cheaper to resign
Old 07-25-2012   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Sam, Mike and Will are 4-3 backers. Mike and Mo are inside backers in the 3-4, with the Mike usually being the QB and run stopper. The Mo is used in many ways. As a roamer, pass rusher, coverage, etc.

Terminology can vary by DC. I've heard of a Mike and a Mac in a 3-4 too
Old 07-25-2012   #6
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 52460 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

They are doing this to solidify the fact that:

Brian Cushing is one Bad MO-FO

Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

They should make Brian get the haircut. He'd be the most pissed off linebacker in all the NFL.

And remember, Mo was the one who was always hitting everybody. Sounds like Cushing to me.
Old 07-25-2012   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Should Bradie get injured, or if he's not cutting the mustard...Cushing will resume that position.

As it stands, right now, we have a very niiiiice problem on our hands: Our middle LB is being moved to weak side because we possibly have an even better middle LB in James...and if Cushing feasts at weak side, brother oh brother are we going to be a fun defense to watch in while new ways we cannot even imagine right now.
Old 07-25-2012   #9
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

As long as Cushing stays in during Nickle Packages
Old 07-25-2012   #10
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Sam, Mike and Will are 4-3 backers. Mike and Mo are inside backers in the 3-4, with the Mike usually being the QB and run stopper. The Mo is used in many ways. As a roamer, pass rusher, coverage, etc.

Terminology can vary by DC. I've heard of a Mike and a Mac in a 3-4 too
if this is the case and we had cushing as the mike and demeco as the mo last year, i'd think they'd have been better off being switched since cushing is a much more dynamic backer than demeco is post injuries.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
As long as Cushing stays in during Nickle Packages
He's not going away on the nickel package. 'Cept after the bad guys. And he will pounce upon them!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Demeco's injuries was part of reason, Cush took over Qb of LBs. I think Bradie will do fine and our LBs will be even better.
Old 07-25-2012   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Great move. Less thinking, more action for Cush.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #14
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

In a 3-4 the mike is typically on the strong side and the mo is on the weakside (both inside). In some 3-4s you can think of the mo the same as a will backer in a 4-3 under. Scheme wise he's the most protected player from blocks. He's given the best opportunity to flow to the ball. Think of the tampa bay weak side backers a few years back who regularly put up sick tackle numbers. If you applied some of that to a 3-4 front the mo gets the best uncontested tackle opportunities. This is a good move. Think of the mike as the defense's full back.

Why didnt we hear about this sooner?
Old 07-25-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
In a 3-4 the mike is typically on the strong side and the mo is on the weakside (both inside). In some 3-4s you can think of the mo the same as a will backer in a 4-3 under. Scheme wise he's the most protected player from blocks. He's given the best opportunity to flow to the ball. Think of the tampa bay weak side backers a few years back who regularly put up sick tackle numbers. If you applied some of that to a 3-4 front the mo gets the best uncontested tackle opportunities. This is a good move. Think of the mike as the defense's full back.

I don't understand your sig....The quotes don't match the post...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #16
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't understand your sig....The quotes don't match the post...
I love my sig, and it has nothing to do with this post.
Old 07-26-2012   #17
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3101 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Writing was on the wall as soon as they got Bradie James. They obviously like him and his familiarity with the defense. Hopefully this is MORE about freeing up Cush and less about Bradie James calling plays.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

sooner than what? We aren't even in camp yet. "during the off-season" not soon enough? Perhaps they should have said something during the Pro Bowl?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #19
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just realized this. Our linebacker corps is the second coming of the killer B's.
Barwin Brooks Bradie and Brian.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think it's a good move. I never thought Cushing was a perfect fit for the mike. He's a good enough player to excel at any LB position, but the mike has too many responsibilities. A guy like Cushing needs to have a lot more latitude to go out there and make plays. He's not so much a QB of the defense as he is the Arian Foster of the defense. I think he'll truly excel if the reins are loosened.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read