Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-24-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting commentary from OL Coach John Benton on our projected top 5

From Scurf's turf: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...ffensive-line/

Quote:
On LT Duane Brown: “I thought Duane had his best year last year since coming to us. Really is coming into his own as one of the top tackles in the league. He’s become a very consistent pass protector that really brings a top-level athlete to the position. He’s able to do some things, particularly in space and the run game, that not many people can do, and we plan on taking more and more advantage of that as it goes on. But he has progressed and become a technician at his position as well as having that mean streak we look for. I don’t care if it’s run, pass, whatever, it makes no difference to Duane. He is looking for an advantage, and if he smells blood, he’ll go after it. He’s got a demeanor to him and is really starting to play with the attitude we’d want our whole group to play with. I think he’s on his way to becoming a dominant player.”
A lotta love for Smith & Butler, looking for Caldwell to step up or be pressed by Brooks. Butler seems to be the anti-Winston -- Strong pass-pro, weaker run block.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting commentary from OL Coach John Benton on our projected top 5

I cut your post down a bit.

...to everyone starting a thread or adding content that isn't original...please only feature a tease and a link when posting original © materials. We've been lax in enforcing this but its something we are going to concentrate on going forward.

Quote:
CUT-N-PASTED ARTICLES - Please do not copy and paste entire articles. Please find a quote you want to feature and provide a path/URL to the content. We do not want to fully reproduce and host original © materials. Posts in violation of this will be deleted or altered when noticed.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/announcement.php?f=56

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting commentary from OL Coach John Benton on our projected top 5

I think the right side will improve without Winston. Honestly, OT's main job is to pass block, right? As mentioned, Butler's length and athleticism is his strong point, ideal for OTs...and pretty much exactly the opposite of what Winston brought. I'm sort of surprised that Wade Smith is so highly thought of by the staff.

Caldwell is up but I'd bet his leash is pretty short. I could even see him/Brooks rotating series from the get go.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think Butler will do fine and eventually better than Winston. Caldwell, on the other hand, is a huge ? for me. I've recently re-watched the games from last year and was still unimpressed by Caldwell. He supposedly had a high ankle sprain, so I'm holding out hope that he's better than was in those few games.

BTW, just finished watching week 16 against the Colts the other day. Winston was thoroughly abused
Old 07-24-2012   #5
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11151 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I think the right side will improve without Winston. Honestly, OT's main job is to pass block, right?.
Depends. Most RT's are known mainly for their run blocking ability. Typically, if you're able to play LT (quick foot, other pass blocking essentials) you'll play on the left. (IE: Tyron Smith, started at Right, excelled, now moved to left)
Old 07-24-2012   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Personally, I think Butler will do fine and eventually better than Winston. Caldwell, on the other hand, is a huge ? for me. I've recently re-watched the games from last year and was still unimpressed by Caldwell. He supposedly had a high ankle sprain, so I'm holding out hope that he's better than was in those few games.

BTW, just finished watching week 16 against the Colts the other day. Winston was thoroughly abused
According to what I heard, he had TWO high ankle sprains.

If that's true, he did an amazing job considering the pain he had to have been enduring. But until I see him perform on the field up to Brisiel's level, I'm worried about him.

Losing Brisiel is my biggest concern from all our losses this offseason. Losing Dreessen is the #2 concern for me.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Good piece, enjoyed reading it except that Coach Benton may have been a little too free with his praise and not critical enough of his players weaknesses, but I understand that's not what you are gonna see/hear from a coach about his players in public comments.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2012   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

If that's true, he did an amazing job considering the pain he had to have been enduring. But until I see him perform on the field up to Brisiel's level, I'm worried about him.

Losing Brisiel is my biggest concern from all our losses this offseason. Losing Dreessen is the #2 concern for me.
Agreed on Brisiel. He may have lacked in the talent department, but more than made up for it with desire and intensity.

The only thing that really concerns me about losing Dreessen is a tad bit of a drop off in TE blocking. OD, Casey and Graham have just as much if not more ability to get open. They all have good to very good hands.
Old 07-24-2012   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember when in the beginning how most of us felt that Brown didn't show any kind of nastiness to his game, nor would he have the tendency to develop develop a "mean streak." No longer an impression that he has left his fans or his opponents..................and he has done it "quietly."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ seems to like Newton a bunch , that will give Butler some competition . I'm not sure Brooks could play RT if need be .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

He DID have bilateral high ankle sprains. One developed after continuing to play on the first strain, leading to a compensatory opposite high ankle sprain. It takes a tough man to play on one high ankle sprain (just like Chris Myers), especially in a ZBS. It takes a "warrior" to even WALK on bilateral high ankle sprains, let alone run in a ZBS on the right side where you are consistently expected to meet up with the greatest resistance. The sensation of running on two high ankle sprains could be likened to any of us having broken glass shoved into both of our ankle joints and expecting us to function on any level. Yes, Caldwell may still be an "unproven" at right guard.......but we could not have possibly seen any where close to his true potential last year.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He DID have bilateral high ankle sprains. One developed after continuing to play on the first strain, leading to a compensatory opposite high ankle sprain. It takes a tough man to play on one high ankle sprain (just like Chris Myers), especially in a ZBS. It takes a "warrior" to even WALK on bilateral high ankle sprains, let alone run in a ZBS on the right side where you are consistently expected to meet up with the greatest resistance. The sensation of running on two high ankle sprains could be likened to any of us having broken glass shoved into both of our ankle joints and expecting us to function on any level. Yes, Caldwell may still be an "unproven" at right guard.......but we could not have possibly seen any where close to his true potential last year.
Yeah. I thought Brisiel was a stud for finishing the Bengal's game with a broken leg.

But two high ankle sprains? I can't even imagine. I'd be on a morphine drip.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #13
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 10578 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, just ran across some pretty nasty pics doing a search on high ankle sprains. That looks as bad as when I broke my ankle a few years back.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #14
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a bit worried about the o-line after losing Winston and Brisiel. So much of our team's success depends on this unit functioning at an optimum level through out the season. Also, depth may be an issue if we have injuries to any of our starters. Opening lanes for Arian is critical and with Schaub coming off a serious injury, it will be critical to keep him clean for 16+ games.
Old 07-24-2012   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O.DuB View Post
Dont forget, Caldwell was the starter at right-guard when foster had his breakout year. He fought hard with brisel (sic) during camp but couldn't overcome injuries last season.
Not really. That was the year he and Brisiel rotated because neither of them snatched the job away from the other.
Old 07-24-2012   #16
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Interesting commentary from OL Coach John Benton on our projected top 5

I can remember a time when we were searching for that left tackle....We finally have him......hope they get him resigned soon.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read