Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2005   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Replacing the O-line every year would be like replacing the QB every year. That just doesn't work in the NFL. This is the first year we have not made radical changes. I know you have no patience, but we have made moves over the last two years to get us here. We are on the verge of a huge playoff run. If that isn't good enough for you...so be it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #22
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Replacing the O-line every year would be like replacing the QB every year. That just doesn't work in the NFL. This is the first year we have not made radical changes. I know you have no patience, but we have made moves over the last two years to get us here. We are on the verge of a huge playoff run. If that isn't good enough for you...so be it.
Vinny I hope you are correct and I stand corrected if you are. I wish I had your confidence............ I just know if we don't protect our QB better than we have we won't have him and it won't matter what you and I think. I would love nothing better than for you to be right.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #23
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
I've long thought you two were ghosts

Aww, Caddy, does this mean you don't see me as an equal, as a Texans fan, in your eyes? Does the mean we can't party together at the games when I come home?

That really makes me sad....
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #24
Texan Dave
Veteran

Guys, come on, David isn't going anywear, if the organization uses this "void" it will be simply to restructure his contract, and keep him here longer. This guy threw for nearly 4,000 yards, behind one of the, or possibly the worst offensive line in the NFL. He's a good QB, with a lot of years ahead of him, we'll get the offensive line situation fixed. I can see them moving Pitts back out to LT, and putting Wand or that new guy from NO at guard. He may be a little short compared to a lot of the LT's in the league, but Brad Hopkins is only 6'3", and he's been playing at an elevated level for years now.
Texan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #25
Dime
Hall of Fame

Have any one here even considered it might not be the Texans that void the contract. It might be David. Why might you ask would he do something like that. He has proven he can win, and proven he can scramble and even proven he can be a force even without a good front line. So... would it be insaine for him to get a offer to be in another team that HAS a good oline to protect him and has a good chance of being a final piece for a playoff run. Carr has been getting HAMMERED with our Oline, and we havent done to much to improve it. I would be considering it because he could be behind a gelled line, and do a playoff chance AND probably sign a contract paying him much more then he can make right now even with the bonus extension. He is a smart boy. His body aint going to take much more of this. He commented last year about drafting in the oline which we didnt, if things done work out this year, dont be surprised to see him void it. Just a thought folks.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #26
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
BTW.,...I know A LOT of people give you crap about your post. I think your dead on with a lot of your points of views....To man people have their Texans blinders on though....Keep up the good post
Okay, hate to harp on this point, but leave that kind of stuff out, save it for private messages and stuff...dont make irrelivant points that have nothing to do with the topic at hand...next time just send a private message...thanks
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #27
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Have any one here even considered it might not be the Texans that void the contract. It might be David. Why might you ask would he do something like that. He has proven he can win, and proven he can scramble and even proven he can be a force even without a good front line. So... would it be insaine for him to get a offer to be in another team that HAS a good oline to protect him and has a good chance of being a final piece for a playoff run. Carr has been getting HAMMERED with our Oline, and we havent done to much to improve it. I would be considering it because he could be behind a gelled line, and do a playoff chance AND probably sign a contract paying him much more then he can make right now even with the bonus extension. He is a smart boy. His body aint going to take much more of this. He commented last year about drafting in the oline which we didnt, if things done work out this year, dont be surprised to see him void it. Just a thought folks.
This has already been brought up and was cleared up by this post...

It's the team's option to retain Carr, not his...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2005   #28
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime

not to point out the blindingly obvious....but our best record for a season is 7-9 yet david carr is a proven winner?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #29
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
Okay, hate to harp on this point, but leave that kind of stuff out, save it for private messages and stuff...dont make irrelivant points that have nothing to do with the topic at hand...next time just send a private message...thanks
Quick ... somebody hurry up & make this guy a mod!
Old 05-22-2005   #30
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
This has already been brought up and was cleared up by this post...

It's the team's option to retain Carr, not his...
Generally, voidable years is the player's forcing function on the team to pay him more money because of performance incentives met. It's a way for players to get out of their original contracts and get more money out of the team. If the team can't or won't ante up, the player can bolt earlier than the original term of the deal. If the contract is voided, it usually means the player was better than average (if it's a good contract) and the team has reaped some benefit - hence the pay raise. If a contract that contains voidable years isn't voided (because of incentives not met) there's a good chance the player won't be around to see the end of it anyway.

Last edited by aj.; 05-22-2005 at 09:02 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #31
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I made a post that specifically pertained to the topic at hand. I then chose to add something else in, since I was already asking Ibar a question.

However, you should follow your own advice since you feel so strongly about it. I believe you confronted me in this thread entitled “Did You Know This about David’s Contract?” It surely isn’t entitled “Confront Texans Pride on His Placement of Compliments.” Perhaps you should have sent me a private message. Thanks
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #32
ocd
Rookie

Quote:

Sorry to interrupt the discussion between you two but the question relating to the O line should really be asked of what are we doing to improve the line? Vinny you are correct in that we can't change personnel every year. No question about that. But we haven't even been drafting for depth and/or development let alone change and/or competition. Since nothing was done in the draft for the line what have we done in the offseason? Who did we recently get? Victor Riley? 31 year old RIGHT tackle?

Ibar you are correct in that Carr will never be able to show his talents because he is running for his life behind the worst line in the NFL. The majority of Carr's passing yards have come when the opposing team has gone into their prevent defense and that's pretty sad. Carr only had two games last year over 300 yards (Minn and Detroit) and a pathetic 114 yard game against Cleveland. Just ask yourself this question, what would Schottenheimer do with our O line if became the head coach? Year 4 and we're still hoping our O line is gonna develop chemistry.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #33
bigtex77
Veteran

Everyone know about the curse of the Bambino, maybe our curse was Boselli.
Old 05-22-2005   #34
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
I made a post that specifically pertained to the topic at hand. I then chose to add something else in, since I was already asking Ibar a question.

However, you should follow your own advice since you feel so strongly about it. I believe you confronted me in this thread entitled “Did You Know This about David’s Contract?” It surely isn’t entitled “Confront Texans Pride on His Placement of Compliments.” Perhaps you should have sent me a private message. Thanks

WORD!!!

(as my street smart friends would say...)
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #35
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Quote:
I don't wanna intrude on comments not involving me or anything but that reply you made was just as irrelevant as the one he made, and he was simply stating a compliment. Nothing wrong with showing some love. Oh and most threads here always have a message or two that are off-topic, so just get used to it.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd
Ibar you are correct in that Carr will never be able to show his talents because he is running for his life behind the worst line in the NFL.

Year 4 and we're still hoping our O line is gonna develop chemistry.
Just to be ticky tacky, Chicago, San Fran, New York Giants, Miami, Atlanta and St. Louis all gave up more sacks than the Texans and Chicago, San Fran and Miami averaged less ypc rushing. I'll go with there being at least three teams with worse OL's. That should make everyone feel very, very marginally better.

As for chemistry, this is the 1st year there have not been wholesale changes to the OL so really it is the first time chemistry is even being given a chance.
Old 05-22-2005   #37
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Just to be ticky tacky, Chicago, San Fran, New York Giants, Miami, Atlanta and St. Louis all gave up more sacks than the Texans and Chicago, San Fran and Miami averaged less ypc rushing. I'll go with there being at least three teams with worse OL's. That should make everyone feel very, very marginally better.

As for chemistry, this is the 1st year there have not been wholesale changes to the OL so really it is the first time chemistry is even being given a chance.

very true also we are going to timing routes, which should help Carr get rid of the ball quicker.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #38
ocd
Rookie

Quote:
I'll go with there being at least three teams with worse OL's. That should make everyone feel very, very marginally better.

ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #39
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Being the killjoy I am, I'll mention that da Bears, Niners, G-men, & Phins all dipped into free agengy for starting tackles. The Rams spent a 1st round pick on a tackle. Of that list, only the Falcons & Texans stood pat. We'll see which tact marginally improved their teams' offensive line play over the course of the upcoming season
Old 05-22-2005   #40
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All I know Vinny is I don't think we should stop making changes to the offensive line until we have 5 players that we are happy with. Why let 5 players stay together and develop a chemistry if you aren't happy with a couple of them? Our current OL will never get us over the hump. We are 1 or 2 lineman away. We may have a winning season for the first time but no real playoff run until we fix our line problem.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read