Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2012   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: PFT Power Ranking: Texans #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No, that's not what I said. There were plenty of times when it was just OD & Casey, or Dressen & Casey, or Casey & no TEs.

And instead of thinking in terms of downgrade, think more in terms of letting Casey acclimate to the game. Lots of positions, players don't really develop until their third or fourth year (take Derell Revis for example).

Let's not make it seem like Dressen was a pro-bowl TE, or that he was irreplaceable. We picked him up as a free agent, he wasn't on anyone's radar. We let him go. He wasn't on anyone's radar.

I can't wait to see what he's able to do with Peyton Manning, the way Peyton has a knack for making TEs.
Here are some snap counts taken by a certain websites for the first 3 games of the season.
It indicated that Casey played FB.
(This is not entirely correct as I've gone back and watched the first half of the first two games; Casey did have a few snaps at TE, but not very many).

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-c...eek1.2011O.pdf

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-c.../07/Week2O.pdf

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-c...fenseWeek3.jpg

So, we saw that early in the season, Casey played mostly at FB.
He could motion from FB to the slot, to wide out, or to the TE position (rarely) and vice versa; so yeah, when we talked about the 2-TE set, it was most usually O.D. and Dreessen.

In the final game of the season, we rest O.D. and therefore Casey saw plenty of action as a TE in the 2-TE set.
He made a couple of great catches; so if he's to see more action as a TE (along with Graham, whom we know to have pass catching skills from Wisconsin), we shouldn't miss Dreessen's catching ability.
It's the blocking that is in question as Dreessen was rated by PFF as the #3 blocking TE; he's much more proven in this aspect.

I agree that most of the TD catches he made were due to either the scheme (Play Action) or a lapse in coverage that allowed him to be open; but he also did well on his own. I see him as at least average in his route running and catching ability.

According to PFF, Casey saw limited action in the play-offs 26 snaps as opposed to 95 for Dreessen.

With little known depth at both TE and FB, I can see a case to be made for missing Dreessen.

So in summarize, I think both sides have valid arguments.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #22
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
If you're asking who Joel Dreesen is, then you must not follow the Texans either. He's been a contributor for us for years.

I hope he does well with the Broncos.
Poster 1: Rur, rur rur rur!

Poster 2: Bur rur rur rur rur!

Poster 1: buuuur!

Poster 2: Bu rururur.

That's pretty much all I got our of the back and forths there.
Old 07-23-2012   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak indicated at the end of OTAs that they could sign another veteran at the position to help replace Dreessen.

“We’ve normally had a physical tight end around here to go with O.D.,” Kubiak said. “We don’t have that presence right now. That’s something (general manager) Rick (Smith) and I are looking at.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...e-184c0b0489d4
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #24
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't get me wrong, Dreessen is good at what he does, but hardly irreplaceable. A big factor in him being open in goal-line situations was the fact that once you've covered AJ, Walter, OD, Foster/Tate coming out of the backfield, you then try to cover Joel, just a little too late. Casey will also benefit from that too.

I saw plenty from Casey last season pre-injury to make me confident that we get playmaking ability from him and lots of versatility as well which will go some way to making up for his deficiencies vs. Dreessen.

What is the point in building through the draft if you never allow a vet to move on and be replaced by a previous draft pick who's played understudy for years?

Anyway, after everything thats happened this off-season, that the thing people are most worried about is whether our proven #3 TE can replace our proven #2 TE then I guess confidence is pretty high.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read