Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-21-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default PFT Power Ranking: Texans #7

Preseason Power Rankings No. 7: Houston Texans
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 21, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Quote:
Coming off the first playoff berth and 10-win season in franchise history, the Texans can’t help but feel it should have been better.

They were 7-3 when Matt Schaub suffered a foot injury, ending his season and throwing the potential for a deep playoff push out the window. T.J. Yates proved himself capable last year, but the Texans were at such a higher level than capable that the disappointment was palpable

They finished last year ranked in the league’s top 10 in scoring on both sides of the ball, and have added parts to the defense that could make it better.

And with General Manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak getting contract extensions, there’s a clear sense that the Texans are on the verge of something big.

When you can let players such as former No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams walk with no return, it’s clear that they’re building a sustainable franchise, and could be a factor for years to come.

Last edited by Vinny; 07-24-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: post a tease and a link only please.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: PFT Power Ranking: Texans #7

...and folks around the country are realizing it. This from a Buffalo fan:

rabidbillsfan says:
Jul 21, 2012 4:05 PM
@oilman

I have to disagree with you. As a Bills fan, this is the team I think Buffalo can be in the next few years. There is almost no weakness to this team. Shut down AJ, Owen Daniels steps up. Shut down the passing game, Foster will run all over you. Shut down the offense? That defense will keep it close so it can be a 1 score game. There is no other team in the NFL that boasts this much balance. As long as their core stays relativley healthy, and not all of the guys go down at once or for extended periods of time, this team is a favorite in the AFC. I think the road to the superbowl goes through Texas, and no, not Dallas.

This was one of the responses to to the article Doc posted.

Kinda slow on the news scene and I'm always up for a little Texans love.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

That is one of the best responses from a fan of another team about our Texans that I have ever read.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #4
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing that is notable about the article is that he didn't mention Joel Dreesen's departure. I wonder how closely he really follows the team.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
One thing that is notable about the article is that he didn't mention Joel Dreesen's departure. I wonder how closely he really follows the team.
Losing backup Tight Ends don't usually cause a blip on the radar. Dreessen played well for the Texans, but his slack can (and should) be taken up by Casey. I thought it was one of the more accurate previews I've seen of the Texans.
Old 07-22-2012   #6
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Losing backup Tight Ends don't usually cause a blip on the radar. Dreessen played well for the Texans, but his slack can (and should) be taken up by Casey. I thought it was one of the more accurate previews I've seen of the Texans.
So, either you don't follow the team either, or you don't know what to look at.

He had twice as many TD receptions as anyone else last year. That's a notable omission. This looks like just another homer preview.

As far as Casey, he has been on the roster for a few years, had his opportunities to replace Dreesen as a "backup tight end", and never could do it.
Old 07-22-2012   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
As far as Casey, he has been on the roster for a few years, had his opportunities to replace Dreesen as a "backup tight end", and never could do it.
Except Kubiak had managed to utilize all three of our "TEs" on gameday, even going so far as "featuring" Casey in one. It was Casey's versatility that allowed us to move him to Full Back/H-Back... not that he "wasn't good enough"

Then again, Casey is still on the team, Dressen is not. That sounds like a replacement to me.
Old 07-22-2012   #8
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Except Kubiak had managed to utilize all three of our "TEs" on gameday, even going so far as "featuring" Casey in one. It was Casey's versatility that allowed us to move him to Full Back/H-Back... not that he "wasn't good enough"

Then again, Casey is still on the team, Dressen is not. That sounds like a replacement to me.
It's a replacement, just like putting on a spare tire, but it's a downgrade.

To use your example, when Kubiak only had two TEs on the field, it was always OD and Dreesen. Casey was "featured" only when they used three. He never could displace Dreesen to get out of being third string TE, because Dreesen was clearly better.
Old 07-22-2012   #9
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He had twice as many TD receptions as anyone else last year. That's a notable omission. This looks like just another homer preview.

So aggressive. Might want to switch to decaf.

Do you follow the Texans? Because Casey was a total badass until he got injured last year.

Joel who?

We won't even notice he's gone.
Old 07-22-2012   #10
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
So aggressive. Might want to switch to decaf.

Do you follow the Texans? Because Casey was a total badass until he got injured last year.

Joel who?

We won't even notice he's gone.
If you're asking who Joel Dreesen is, then you must not follow the Texans either. He's been a contributor for us for years.

I hope he does well with the Broncos.
Old 07-22-2012   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To use your example, when Kubiak only had two TEs on the field, it was always OD and Dreesen.
I'm almost definitely sure that's not true but I don't have access to the games anymore so I can't go back and look. I'm not saying it wasn't MOSTLY OD and Dreessen but I think there were lots of plays with other combinations of TEs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #12
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He did have some good plays but have you noticed how completely open he was on most of those plays. On probably 80% of them no one was within ten yards. And it wasnt because of some great route running skills the play action in the redzone just totally fooled the other team.Casey has the best hands on the team I am pretty sure he could run into an uncovered area and then catch a ball that my 10 year old son could catch. Not taking anything away from him and he did have some not so easy plays but most of his plays he was basically uncovered.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #13
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone's fanhood being called into question today?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #14
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand some may feel Dreesen will be easily replaced, but you almost "have" to mention the departure! He was one of the most solid #2s in the league...

I feel Casey and Graham combined can more than replace Dreesen's production, but it's still a big deal...Dreesen was actually good...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #15
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Everyone's fanhood being called into question today?
"can't be a fan cuz he doesn't smoke, the same cigarettes as me. I can't get no....da na naaaaa........"
Old 07-22-2012   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"Don't follow the team", or "don't know what I'm looking at"? Tough call. Um, I'm going to go with "don't know what I'm looking at".

Despite my analytical disability, I do somehow know how to spell Dreessen's name. Go figure.
Old 07-22-2012   #17
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
"Don't follow the team", or "don't know what I'm looking at"? Tough call. Um, I'm going to go with "don't know what I'm looking at".

Despite my analytical disability, I do somehow know how to spell Dreessen's name. Go figure.
Congrats.

The good news is that the season starts soon, and we will get to see the ramifications of these player changes.
Old 07-22-2012   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
...and folks around the country are realizing it. This from a Buffalo fan:

rabidbillsfan says:
Jul 21, 2012 4:05 PM
@oilman

I have to disagree with you. As a Bills fan, this is the team I think Buffalo can be in the next few years. There is almost no weakness to this team. Shut down AJ, Owen Daniels steps up. Shut down the passing game, Foster will run all over you. Shut down the offense? That defense will keep it close so it can be a 1 score game. There is no other team in the NFL that boasts this much balance. As long as their core stays relativley healthy, and not all of the guys go down at once or for extended periods of time, this team is a favorite in the AFC. I think the road to the superbowl goes through Texas, and no, not Dallas.

This was one of the responses to to the article Doc posted.

Kinda slow on the news scene and I'm always up for a little Texans love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
That is one of the best responses from a fan of another team about our Texans that I have ever read.
Yup... That was a pretty awesome response.
Old 07-22-2012   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It's a replacement, just like putting on a spare tire, but it's a downgrade.

To use your example, when Kubiak only had two TEs on the field, it was always OD and Dreesen. Casey was "featured" only when they used three. He never could displace Dreesen to get out of being third string TE, because Dreesen was clearly better.
No, that's not what I said. There were plenty of times when it was just OD & Casey, or Dressen & Casey, or Casey & no TEs.

And instead of thinking in terms of downgrade, think more in terms of letting Casey acclimate to the game. Lots of positions, players don't really develop until their third or fourth year (take Derell Revis for example).

Let's not make it seem like Dressen was a pro-bowl TE, or that he was irreplaceable. We picked him up as a free agent, he wasn't on anyone's radar. We let him go. He wasn't on anyone's radar.

I can't wait to see what he's able to do with Peyton Manning, the way Peyton has a knack for making TEs.
Old 07-23-2012   #20
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good preview. ALL about health.

I DO think we'll miss Joel Dreesen more than people think. A player doesn't have to be a star to be severely missed.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read