Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2012   #1
KMG 365
Veteran

Rep Power: 1251 KMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jeff Maehl article

Here are some snippets from an article on Jeff Maehl:

Quote:
His goal this season is to make the team out of training camp, which gets underway a week from Friday, Maehl said.

"First of all is to make the 53," he said. "It's a dream come true for me. When I was a little kid, all I wanted to do was play a college sport and then to be able to take it to the next level and play professionally is a dream come true. I find myself sometimes at practice looking over and seeing Andre Johnson next to me and thinking how surreal it is."
Quote:
Johnson and Walter are the only Houston receivers to have caught an NFL pass.

"A lot of inexperience and just a lot of competition, and that's something we're all looking forward to," Maehl said. "The coaches are looking forward to us battling. It's pretty much wide open for whoever steps up and takes it."
Quote:
"They don't expect guys like me and Lestar to make mental mistakes that we made as rookies," Maehl said. "So just continuing to stay consistent, and then it all comes down to making plays and showing your worth out there."
Read more by clicking on the link.

http://www.chicoer.com/sports/ci_211...rad-set-second

It's going to be tough for him to make the 53-man roster if the Texans only carry five WRs. If they decide to carry six WRs then I see him making the team.
KMG 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jeff Maehl article

we deff need Maehl and lestar to come up big 4 us this year if they make the team
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #3
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG 365 View Post
If they decide to carry six WRs then I see him making the team.
Wr is the most unproven position on the team. Just a guess but I think this will be the first year in a while they carry 6.
Old 07-18-2012   #4
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 1734 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG 365 View Post
Here are some snippets from an article on Jeff Maehl:

Read more by clicking on the link.

http://www.chicoer.com/sports/ci_211...rad-set-second

It's going to be tough for him to make the 53-man roster if the Texans only carry five WRs. If they decide to carry six WRs then I see him making the team.

Why is it going to be any tougher for him to make the 53 than anyone else?? I understand size and speed as difference makers but heart and vision are not so easy to quantify. This is why they PLAY the game.....otherwise, we just throw the numbers on the board and call it a day.
Old 07-18-2012   #5
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

If we carry 6 receivers he makes the team over Holliday and Jackson most likely, but I don't think we carry 6. I also think he'll have a hope Holliday falls on his face on special teams during the pre-season.

If the reports that Holliday was the most improved and impressive receiver during OTAs and minicamp are true then it should be a pretty good battle between the bottom 2 or 3 guys.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #6
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn View Post
Why is it going to be any tougher for him to make the 53 than anyone else?? I understand size and speed as difference makers but heart and vision are not so easy to quantify. This is why they PLAY the game.....otherwise, we just throw the numbers on the board and call it a day.
Well, the Texans are likely only going to keep five WR's. Of those five Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Devier Posey and Keshawn Martin are practically locks to make the team. That should leave one more spot for either Jeff Maehl and Lestar Jean; and Jean seems to be the favorite around here to win that battle.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #7
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 1734 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Well, the Texans are likely only going to keep five WR's. Of those five Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Devier Posey and Keshawn Martin are practically locks to make the team. That should leave one more spot for either Jeff Maehl and Lestar Jean; and Jean seems to be the favorite around here to win that battle.
I don't think Holliday is in the question. You didn't mention him, but others did. Someone said he was the most improved receiver. I never saw that.....I saw something about exceptional improvement from him but that could mean 0 to 35 when everyone else is at 68. Holliday banks on his special teams value....jury is out.

Maehl is competing with with Martin. Posey is a lock unless he's a lame duck. The final decision comes down to which one gets separation better.....that's how I see it today.
Old 07-18-2012   #8
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think Holliday is in the question. You didn't mention him, but others did. Someone said he was the most improved receiver. I never saw that.....I saw something about exceptional improvement from him but that could mean 0 to 35 when everyone else is at 68. Holliday banks on his special teams value....jury is out.

Maehl is competing with with Martin. Posey is a lock unless he's a lame duck. The final decision comes down to which one gets separation better.....that's how I see it today.
That's the way I see it as well. Kubes did say that Holliday had taken the biggest step in that group but that doesn't (to me) say that he's taken a big enough leap to bump K-Mart to the PS. Just don't see it happening.

I'm thinking in the end we'll see Trindon riding into the sunset on his little pink tricycle but then I've been wrong before.

10 MORE DAYS!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #9
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That's the way I see it as well. Kubes did say that Holliday had taken the biggest step in that group but that doesn't (to me) say that he's taken a big enough leap to bump K-Mart to the PS. Just don't see it happening.

I'm thinking in the end we'll see Trindon riding into the sunset on his little pink tricycle but then I've been wrong before.

10 MORE DAYS!
I think Martin actually gets on the field before Posey unless Posey has a big training camp. Kubiak had nothing but praise for him so I doubt Maehl is any competition for Martin. If you factor in his return ability then I really don't see it.

AJ, Walter, Posey and Martin are locks to me. You don't draft guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds with that kind of potential and then release them before the season starts unless they pull a Clarett and show no committment whatsoever. So that leaves Jean who a lot of people are high on. They're both undrafted guys but one seems to have a ton of more upside. Barring injury to one of these receivers I just don't see a situation where he makes the team if we carry 5.

Now if we carry 6 which would be a shock to me Maehl has a good chance assuming we don't bring in anyone else. Steph was the one who posted on here how good Holliday looked and I want to say either Yates or Beck singled him out too. I'm not holding my breath for him based on what I've seen personally but anything can happen though. Maehl hasn't shown any return ability thus far that would create extra value for him. I'd be curious to see how he'd handle it but I don't even know if he'll be given that opportunity. Those guys are fighting to make the PS IMO.
Old 07-18-2012   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Wr is the most unproven position on the team. Just a guess but I think this will be the first year in a while they carry 6.
I was having this discussion today, totally agree.
Old 07-18-2012   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I understand the logic and to an extent, agree. What other position would be sacrificed though?

Would be nice if someone could play their position and long snap as well wouldn't it?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why is it going to be any tougher for him to make the 53 than anyone else??
AJ, KW, Posey, and Martin are locks to make the team.

At this point, Lestar Jean appears to be in the driver's seat for that 5th spot.

Therefore, unless we carry 6 receivers (barring injury), Maehl's on the outside looking in. He'll probably end up PSd again.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If it comes down to Maehl or Martin, Martin wins hands down. He was too high a pick, he has better return ability, and he's been doing well so far.
Old 07-18-2012   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

It's interesting last year focus was on how to improve defense, this year it is the offense with or without Schuab, WR is the most widely speculated position.

Andre, Kevin, Posey are locks. Martin kicks Holliday to the curb, because of return ability. So that is four but only count against position as three. Lestar Jean, will probably wind up competing for reps with Posey or alternating to give Andre breathers so he is your 4th.

Now it gets interesting. Jeff Maehl is excellent on special teams. He has a year under his belt & is stronger. I see him as an upgrade over previously Texans 5th WR David Anderson. Jerrell Jackson & Juaquin Igesias have flashed potential, most likely get stashed on PS.

So I do believe Jeff focus is correct, to make the 53 man roster as the #5 WR/special teams player

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #15
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It's interesting last year focus was on how to improve defense, this year it is the offense with or without Schuab, WR is the most widely speculated position.

Andre, Kevin, Posey are locks. Martin kicks Holliday to the curb, because of return ability. So that is four but only count against position as three. Lestar Jean, will probably wind up competing for reps with Posey or alternating to give Andre breathers so he is your 4th.

Now it gets interesting. Jeff Maehl is excellent on special teams. He has a year under his belt & is stronger. I see him as an upgrade over previously Texans 5th WR David Anderson. Jerrell Jackson & Juaquin Igesias have flashed potential, most likely get stashed on PS.

So I do believe Jeff focus is correct, to make the 53 man roster as the #5 WR/special teams player
I don't follow your logic here. Kubiak has always said that he doesn't want just a return specialist and that a guy has to be able to play a position as well. If Martin is returning for us he will count as one of the 5 receivers. We haven't guy who JUST handled returns for us in a long time. Maehl has to show he's one of the best 5 receivers on the team and that includes Martin.
Old 07-18-2012   #16
Kgbmedic
M1 Tanker

Rep Power: 3435 Kgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respected

I am keeping neutral on these guys. What I do like is the fact there is an all out battle. That should bring out the best recievers, idealistically.

I have always looked forward to the Texans playing but I believe this is the first year that I am all out excited about it.
Kgbmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't follow your logic here. Kubiak has always said that he doesn't want just a return specialist and that a guy has to be able to play a position as well. If Martin is returning for us he will count as one of the 5 receivers. We haven't guy who JUST handled returns for us in a long time. Maehl has to show he's one of the best 5 receivers on the team and that includes Martin.
Martin kicks Holliday to the curb not only because he's a returner but also because he's one of the best wide receivers on the team. If the mini-camp/OTA results hold, Martin will be starting before Posey does and Martin could become the best and most dangerous slot receiver we've had.
Old 07-18-2012   #18
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Martin kicks Holliday to the curb not only because he's a returner but also because he's one of the best wide receivers on the team. If the mini-camp/OTA results hold, Martin will be starting before Posey does and Martin could become the best and most dangerous slot receiver we've had.
I agree and its what I said in an earlier post in the thread. Martin is going to see the field at receiver. The idea that he doesn't count as one because he'll be returning kicks/punts was what I wasn't following. We carried 4 receivers at the start of the year last year. I think we'll carry 5 this year whether they're returning or not which Martin will be. Maehl's gonna have to beat out Jean, Posey or Martin. I just don't see it happening.
Old 07-18-2012   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubiak can sit a 2nd round Harris for a season why not Posey? I think Posey has to outplay Jean to beat him out. Being a 3rd round selection will not do it.
Old 07-18-2012   #20
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Kubiak can sit a 2nd round Harris for a season why not Posey? I think Posey has to outplay Jean to beat him out. Being a 3rd round selection will not do it.
No guarantee that Posey will play, but Harris never was released. He was always on the 53 man roster. I think thats the question here as to which 5 guys will make the 53.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read