Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-07-2013   #41
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WRs who might be in the 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Both ESPN experts have us going WR in the first round.

They also both have Matt Barkley still there I think.

Would Barkley be a good choice?
They do that every year. Barkley----NO!!!
Old 02-08-2013   #42
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
They do that every year. Barkley----NO!!!
Yep, iirc last year the "experts" had us taking Stephen Hill, Reuben Randle, and some had us with Mohamed Sanu.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Yep, iirc last year the "experts" had us taking Stephen Hill, Reuben Randle, and some had us with Mohamed Sanu.
Hill is pretty much what we thought he would be, a project who flashes potential but is injury prone.

Randle looks really good to me. Think Texans should have just selected him in the 2nd. Looks like plus returner (which would soften Jacoby blow) with good hands & ability to stretch the field.

Sanu is physical, always was, could have replaced Walter.

But that was then this is now.

Quinton Patton looks better to me than any of them. Probably early 2nd on Texans board, suggesting a move back once again then taking WR. Three second round picks would be sweet, check this:

2nd Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
2nd Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers
2nd Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern

that's three starters

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our next QB is already with the team, technically.
But Barkley would be an upgrade over Schaub in the not-so-far distance in the future. He can extend plays with his feet. His range is at least 7 yards deeper than Schaub. He's already familiar with the WCO; only AJ and even Walter wouldn't have to slow down and wait for the ball.

Here are my notes on USC.
They played 2 Sophomores and 2 Freshmen on the Oline.
One of the Sophomore was moved from Guard to LT, and at least for part of the season (that I know of) was rotating with a Freshman.
The C Khalid Holmes injured his ankle in the second game of the season against Syracuse. He missed the next game against Stanford. He tried to come back the following week and reinjured the ankle. He continued to play the rest of the season, but your guess is as good as mine about his effectiveness.

Without Holmes, the Trojans managed 26 yards on 27 rushing attempts against Stanford.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

5 of Barkley's INTs were not his faults.
2 (and may be 3) more were due to miscommunication with his receivers.
3 more were due to great individual defensive plays.

Yes, there are a few balls he threw that could have been intercepted, but overall it is still less than other QBs, including Geno Smith.

I still rank Smith slightly ahead of Barkley; however, considering that Smith is a pure shotgun spread QB, we don't know how effective he can be under center.

On top of that, I saw more drops by the receivers than all the receivers on other team. There were also more defensive PIs committed against them that affected the numbers on paper for Barkley. His TD numbers would have been much higher (about 10).

All these (and the level of competition) add up to negate any advantage Barkley may have over most if not all QBs in this draft class.

If I was the Texans GM, I would take Barkley over Geno Smith because he fits this system much better.
Old 02-08-2013   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

There are a lot of playmakers in this draft class.

Tavon Austin is such a weapon that can be used everywhere: as a RB or a receiver, and in both punt and kick return; but it's Stedman Bailey that really impressed me on the W. Virg team.

He's a tough, physical players that can make the tough catch and also block well (shame on you, Justin Hunter.)
He's fast and he can make a lot of tough catches.

If you like Kendall Wright last year, then you should also like Bailey.
Not only that, he's probably a receiver who has the best drop rate the last couple of years, and he almost always managed to keep both feet inbound, unlike all of the receivers that were drafted in the first round last year and any of the receivers in this draft class.

I don't think he will last until the end of the second, but I'm hesitant to put him in the first round.
I think he's better than AJ Jenkins who was drafted in the first by the Niners though.

It's really tough to decide who to draft this year, I just can't make up my mind.
Old 02-08-2013   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There are a lot of playmakers in this draft class.

Tavon Austin is such a weapon that can be used everywhere: as a RB or a receiver, and in both punt and kick return; but it's Stedman Bailey that really impressed me on the W. Virg team.

He's a tough, physical players that can make the tough catch and also block well (shame on you, Justin Hunter.)
He's fast and he can make a lot of tough catches.

If you like Kendall Wright last year, then you should also like Bailey.
Not only that, he's probably a receiver who has the best drop rate the last couple of years, and he almost always managed to keep both feet inbound, unlike all of the receivers that were drafted in the first round last year and any of the receivers in this draft class.

I don't think he will last until the end of the second, but I'm hesitant to put him in the first round.
I think he's better than AJ Jenkins who was drafted in the first by the Niners though.

It's really tough to decide who to draft this year, I just can't make up my mind.
Yeah I have recently moved to Bailey & should be available in 3rd.
Old 02-11-2013   #48
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Our next QB is already with the team, technically.
But Barkley would be an upgrade over Schaub in the not-so-far distance in the future. He can extend plays with his feet. His range is at least 7 yards deeper than Schaub. He's already familiar with the WCO; only AJ and even Walter wouldn't have to slow down and wait for the ball.

Here are my notes on USC.
They played 2 Sophomores and 2 Freshmen on the Oline.
One of the Sophomore was moved from Guard to LT, and at least for part of the season (that I know of) was rotating with a Freshman.
The C Khalid Holmes injured his ankle in the second game of the season against Syracuse. He missed the next game against Stanford. He tried to come back the following week and reinjured the ankle. He continued to play the rest of the season, but your guess is as good as mine about his effectiveness.

Without Holmes, the Trojans managed 26 yards on 27 rushing attempts against Stanford.
Barkley has slow feet and a schaub type arm. I do like the wrs in this draft. My guy in the 3rd or 4th rd is tavaris king of georgia. Explosive guy with great speed and quickness.
Old 02-11-2013   #49
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
My guy in the 3rd or 4th rd is tavaris king of georgia. Explosive guy with great speed and quickness.
One of my sleepers. Stock should improve at combine.
Old 02-11-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I think last year was the first year they had us taking a WR in the first, but that was because they saw what we saw. To do it again this year, I guess they're saying we didn't get what we wanted in last year's draft..... when we drafted 2 WRs, one in the third.

I'd like to see a WR in the first, but I wouldn't be surprised (upset maybe, but not surprised) if they don't address WR earlier than the third round again.

Posey will be back. LeStar & Martin are going to pressure Walter for that #3WR spot (not that we have a #2, we've been playing without one for years).

If they think that TE is an upgrade over Daniels.... I wouldn't mind grabbing him.
Old 02-12-2013   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Barkley has slow feet and a schaub type arm. I do like the wrs in this draft. My guy in the 3rd or 4th rd is tavaris king of georgia. Explosive guy with great speed and quickness.
Barkley isn't the most athletic QB out there, but his feet are good enough for the WCO.
And no, he doesn't have an average arm like Schaub. Like I said, his range is about 7 yards deeper than Schaub.
Old 02-12-2013   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Barkley isn't the most athletic QB out there, but his feet are good enough for the WCO.
And no, he doesn't have an average arm like Schaub. Like I said, his range is about 7 yards deeper than Schaub.
I would be interested in how you measure this?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would be interested in how you measure this?
I look at all the deep passes.
Deep outs/corner routes and inside post routes or seam routes.

I note where the LOS is and where the QB is; whether it's a seven step drop from under center or a 5 step drop from the gun, or a roll out, etc.; whether the QB has to throw a transcontinental pass or a pass across his body.
I time and note where the ball is at 3 sec, 4 sec, and 5 sec.

If it's a post route on a straight drop back, then the distance is a straight line (basically) downfield. There's the distance from the LOS to where the receiver catches the ball (about chest high), and there's the distance from the QB to that spot.

If it's a deep out or a corner route with the QB in the pocket (in the center or on the hashmarks, wherever), then I note that and adjust the measurement with a simple trigonometry formula.

If it's a transcontinental pass (or any pass that was thrown across the body) then I make a note of it as well.

I have most of the games, and on the fews that I don't have, I look it up on ESPN game highlights and youtube highlights.
Old 02-12-2013   #54
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If it's a deep out or a corner route with the QB in the pocket (in the center or on the hashmarks, wherever), then I note that and adjust the measurement with a simple trigonometry formula.

These 2 words should never be used in the same sentence, it's an oxymoron.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think last year was the first year they had us taking a WR in the first, but that was because they saw what we saw. To do it again this year, I guess they're saying we didn't get what we wanted in last year's draft..... when we drafted 2 WRs, one in the third.

I'd like to see a WR in the first, but I wouldn't be surprised (upset maybe, but not surprised) if they don't address WR earlier than the third round again.

Posey will be back. LeStar & Martin are going to pressure Walter for that #3WR spot (not that we have a #2, we've been playing without one for years).

If they think that TE is an upgrade over Daniels.... I wouldn't mind grabbing him.
Curious as to what makes you think bolded is true?
Old 02-12-2013   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Man was I surprised to find out just because it had "trig" in it, didn't necessarily mean it was some type of gun.
Old 02-12-2013   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Curious as to what makes you think bolded is true?
I've got to imagine there's pressure on Walter when the Owner says we need to improve at that position. I think what we saw from Martin & Posey was what we should expect from 1st year WR that weren't taken in the top half of the first round.

Martin did a good job of getting open. His biggest problem was his drops. LeStar had issues getting open, but I was surprised by how fast he was. & I was thoroughly impressed with Posey, I think he's going to be a prime time player. The achilles might slow him down some next season, but if Damaryius Thomas can come back from an achilles.... I think Posey will be fine.
Old 02-12-2013   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Here are a few examples of complex trigonometric formulas:

arctan(z) = 1/2(ln(1 - iz) - (ln(1 + iz))

Old 02-12-2013   #59
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here are a few examples of complex trigonometric formulas:

arctan(z) = 1/2(ln(1 - iz) - (ln(1 + iz))

Those look like ancient pictographs left on cave walls by aliens. In the first formula I'm going to assume that Z = Matt Schaub because the absolute value of Matt Schaub is less than 1. In the 2nd formula does arctan(z) = 0? Do I win anything?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Those look like ancient pictographs left on cave walls by aliens. In the first formula I'm going to assume that Z = Matt Schaub because the absolute value of Matt Schaub is less than 1. In the 2nd formula does arctan(z) = 0? Do I win anything?
Sorry, nope!
Since Schaub>VY, Schaub#0
=> Arctan(z) # 0

Good try though

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read