Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Johnathan Joseph: Bengals are cheap, Texans are not

Quote:
Johnathan Joseph left Cincinnati to sign a five-year, $48.75 million contract in Houston last year, so it’s not surprising that Joseph views the Texans as a more generous team than the Bengals. But Joseph says that goes beyond players’ salaries.

According to Joseph, Texans owner Bob McNair cares about the players’ families and is willing to provide whatever is needed to make the players comfortable, while Bengals owner Mike Brown nickel-and-dimes them about everything from sports drinks to road trips.

“The first thing about Houston is it’s an organization run from a different perspective,” Joseph told HeraldOnline.com. “In Cincy, the team lives off money it earns from football. Houston’s owner has other business interests and he controls the money. Numerous things that go on such as the way Houston interacts with my family; we’re treated in a first-class way. They helped us when my wife lost our baby daughter in a miscarriage. But they help with anything you ask of them because they are a very caring organization with positive attitudes about its players. In Cincy, we’re told how much Gatorade we could take home. In Houston we get what we request. You get soap and deodorant at your request. You don’t have a roommate on road trips.”

Joseph is far from the first player to complain about the Bengals’ spendthrift ways, but he puts it in particularly stark terms: Sometimes there’s more to how happy an owner can make a player than how big a paycheck the owner will sign. Sometimes it’s about showing consideration for a player’s family, or not making an issue of it if the player says he’ll sleep better on the road if he has his own room. That’s what Joseph says he’s getting in Houston, and what he says he didn’t get in Cincinnati.
link

It's good to hear about Joseph's contrasting experience. But I don't know that, of all teams, I would be picking the Bengals as a comparison example to try to illustrate how generous another team might be.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Johnathan Joseph: Bengals are cheap, Texans are not

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
link

It's good to hear about Joseph's contrasting experience. But I don't know that, of all teams, I would be picking the Bengals as a comparison example to try to illustrate how generous another team might be.
Well... you know, he has experience with two teams...

What I thought odd was:
Quote:
“In Cincy, the team lives off money it earns from football. Houston’s owner has other business interests and he controls the money.
Mr. McNair will probably getting a visit from the IRS in the near future.

& why does a multimillionaire need to bring gatorade home?
Old 07-15-2012   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Q: Houston has a solid team and appears on its way to becoming one of the NFL’s best after going 10-6, winning the AFC South and making the second round of the playoffs last season. What are your thoughts and how have your teammates responded to the rise?

Everyone was excited; making the playoffs and going to the second round was our reward for lots of hard work. But we didn’t settle for that. Our ultimate goal was to go to Super Bowl and win it; still is. We’ve had strong participation in summer workouts. It was like a college atmosphere. Every player worked hard and wants to be the best at his position, collectively as a team, and we pushed each other during drills. It’s great to see how well the guys get along off and on the field.
http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/07/...-standout.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We're lucky to have Mr. McNair as an owner.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

That's the sort of thing we need to appear in media: i.e. Why Houston is a good destination for free agents.

My only quibble is that he's airing a bit of laundry. I don't like it when former Texans speak negatively about Houston, so the shoe fits here IMO.

The other thing is he's talking about McNair's income, sort of. Probably should have not said that, it didn't add anything to his story.

The part about Houston caring for him and his wife during the miscarriage was really good.

All in all: Good publicity for H-Town.
Old 07-15-2012   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The other thing is he's talking about McNair's income, sort of. Probably should have not said that, it didn't add anything to his story.
He was qualifying his statement.

Instead of saying, "Brown's cheap and McNair's not," he was saying, "Brown's cheap and McNair's not, and here's why..."
Old 07-15-2012   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

Instead of saying, "Brown's cheap and McNair's not," he was saying, "Brown's cheap and McNair's not, and here's why..."
Yep - he's actually trying to tone down the negative aspects of his comments regarding the Bengals.

Also, given that it's widely known that McNair has and had other sources of income (from the sale of Cogen Technologies, to ongoing investment in the power generation industry, to owning and racing horses), I think the chance of any negative backlash from either the general public or the IRS is minimal.
Old 07-15-2012   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm sure Houston will become a top destination for the best FA as soon as they get word that McNair lets them take home all the Gatorade they want.

Winning a couple dozen more play-off games won't hurt either.
Old 07-15-2012   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

And you think that's wisdom to do so? I don't.

J Jo didn't make a huge transgression, I won't paint it as such. I gave him props for other things he said, the part on McNair's income stream(s) was mildly awkward. Again: Overall, good pub for the good guys!
Old 07-15-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm sure Houston will become a top destination for the best FA as soon as they get word that McNair lets them take home all the Gatorade they want.

I understand your sarcasm but many folks like the little things. Money is great but that personal touch cannot be overlooked. You think players won't hear that about the McNairs being there during a miscarriage? You betcha.
Old 07-15-2012   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I understand your sarcasm but many folks like the little things. Money is great but that personal touch cannot be overlooked. You think players won't hear that about the McNairs being there during a miscarriage? You betcha.
Was he personally there? I don't remember the event(s) when it actually happened.

I think the best thing that can happen is finally happening: Players want a good team environment AND they want to win too. We've always had one of those things, and now we have the other. This is what's key, IMO.
Old 07-15-2012   #12
kingh99

Quote:

One supports the other. Gatorade is a superficial example but what he's saying can't be ignored. All pro leagues are players leagues. Coaches coach at the pleasure of the players. Players shut it down, coach gets fired. All the best teams go first class. The comment about McNair having other revenue streams is important. He doesn't have to live and die making money with the sports franchise.

Successful people are successful for a reason and it's not always who they know. They have to make their own imprint or they'll be labeled wannabes of daddy's boys. Bud Adams is a daddy's boy and it shows in how he runs the team. He fell into it. I've known men like Adams and they never measure up to their fathers. They are spoiled and impetuous adult brats.
Old 07-15-2012   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well... you know, he has experience with two teams...

What I thought odd was:

Mr. McNair will probably getting a visit from the IRS in the near future.

Yeah, he can only compare the two teams he's played for so that makes sense to me. What's important here is that he's very clear that the Texans are nothing like the Bengals. That's the message you want free agents around the league to get out of this.

I thought the other side to your question was "Why would a billionaire care how much Gatorade a multimillionaire takes home?" I'm sure that no matter how much he's drinking it's a trivial amount. McNair doesn't apparently sweat the small stuff. Brown does.
Old 07-15-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Basically JJo said the same thing about Cincy that Cris Dishman said about the Oilers when he left.
Old 07-15-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yeah, he can only compare the two teams he's played for so that makes sense to me. What's important here is that he's very clear that the Texans are nothing like the Bengals. That's the message you want free agents around the league to get out of this.

I thought the other side to your question was "Why would a billionaire care how much Gatorade a multimillionaire takes home?" I'm sure that no matter how much he's drinking it's a trivial amount. McNair doesn't apparently sweat the small stuff. Brown does.
Like that wasn't perfectly clear before he made his comments.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #16
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

It's another reminder of why the departure of Bud Adams will forever be a great thing.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
It's a reminder of why the departure of Bud Adams will forever be a great thing.
Exactly.... See my post about Cris Dishman's comments about the Oilers ---> Pud Adams.
Old 07-15-2012   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

For the "Uncle Bob" haters, the question is this: How many "oxes" have the Bengals seen "stuck in a ditch"?

Old 07-15-2012   #19
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
It's another reminder of why the departure of Bud Adams will forever be a great thing.

Pure class.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Convenience.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read