Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2005   #1
Texansbacker
Veteran

Default Buffalo vs Texans/ Losman vs Carr

The USA Today has a story on Bills quarterback JP Losman. They are pretty high on this guy in Buffalo and here is what Sam Wyche had to say from the article:

Losman, who appeared in four games last season, completing three of five passes, has been preparing for his first season as a starter since the first week of February, watching tape, lifting, running and throwing six days a week under the watch of quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche.

"J.P. reminds you of a cross between a Jim Kelly and a Brett Favre, stylewise," Wyche says. "I'm not saying he's going to be as good as those guys. But that's the style. He's a rugged quarterback with a strong arm. He's like a linebacker. He throws well on the run, but I expect him to be a pocket passer.

"I'm glad we got him."
End Quote
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...sw-cover_x.htm

I really hope Carr breaks out this year and quits worrying about his hair and throwning his helmet on the ground looking like John McEnroe throwing his tennisracket. When Carr removes his helmet and the first thing he does is push his hair behind his ear it does not scream Brett Farve or Jim Kelly?

Which quarterback of the past or present would you compare Carr?

To me, he seemed like the perfect guy coming in as a solid family man wearing a piece of tape in lieu of his wedding ring; and then during his first year he took a record setting beating starting all 16 games. Since that time I have given him the benefit of the doubt since our o-line has been dreadful but he has seemed like a different guy. Hope that guy who showed up against the Cowboys in the inaugural season throwing a bomb and a touchdown to kick things off.

That is the guy I want to see.

Not the pretty boy worried about breaking a nail or messing up his hair.

Perhaps a little too harsh but none-the-less.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #2
pskinny
Veteran

Carr is one tough dude. Constantly peeling himself up off the turf. He may look like a pretty boy, but he plays hard. Give him a break.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course he is going to pump up Losman. His franchise spent big bucks, and picks, to get him. Sounds like he is over hyping him. I think he will be a good QB. But cmon, a mix of Brett and Jim style? That is still saying alot.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #4
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

If the Mrs says the hair stays then by gosh THE HAIR STAYS.
Old 05-21-2005   #5
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

It sounds like in the article that the writer clearly liked Losman more than Carr. It didnt sound like he wanted to say anything good about carr or carr's career. I bet Losman doesnt even have all that good of a rookie season
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
It sounds like in the article that the writer clearly liked Losman more than Carr. It didnt sound like he wanted to say anything good about carr or carr's career.
It's an article about Losman. The writer never even mentions Carr, much less says anything good or bad.
Old 05-21-2005   #7
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
I bet Losman doesnt even have all that good of a rookie season
You only get one rookie season and his is over.
Old 05-21-2005   #8
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

i didnt know that... it was someone else writting it... i didnt notice it until now.... Rookie season i mean as a started. He might have 1 year of sitting on the bench but this is his first season starting. He has what 5 attempts i read in an article... I dont know that i would be inclined to think he will have that great of a season this year.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
I really hope Carr breaks out this year and quits worrying about his hair and throwning his helmet on the ground looking like John McEnroe throwing his tennisracket. When Carr removes his helmet and the first thing he does is push his hair behind his ear it does not scream Brett Farve or Jim Kelly?
JMO but seems like the person with the hair problem is you not him. Are we really judging athletes' potential by hairstyle choices now? I mean I think fros look stupid. Guess someone needs to tell Randy Moss he doesn't have any potential as a WR--and yes he spends far more time jacking with his hair than Carr.
Old 05-21-2005   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
JMO but seems like the person with the hair problem is you not him. Are we really judging athletes' potential by hairstyle choices now? I mean I think fros look stupid. Guess someone needs to tell Randy Moss he doesn't have any potential as a WR--and yes he spends far more time jacking with his hair than Carr.
not a fro but .. johnny Damon with the Bosox... that hair really distracts a pitcher

seriously though. i have no problem with Carrs hair.. and him slaming the helmet down. yes i hate it but I was hoping it was like a technical foul in basketeball ..to get the team fired up.. If I recall Carr was taking one of his usual beatings that day and the late hit that wasn't callled (I believe that is why he threw his helmet down) was icing on the cake, plus I really hate the nonchallant way our linemen handle themselves during the game when it comes to hits to carr.. I am not saying they need to start fights with the opponents but just have some self pride in protecting carr (I am sure they do,but they dont' show it)

Last edited by Wolf; 05-21-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The USA Today has a story on Bills quarterback JP Losman. They are pretty high on this guy in Buffalo and here is what Sam Wyche had to say from the article:

Losman, who appeared in four games last season, completing three of five passes, has been preparing for his first season as a starter since the first week of February, watching tape, lifting, running and throwing six days a week under the watch of quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche.

"J.P. reminds you of a cross between a Jim Kelly and a Brett Favre, stylewise," Wyche says. "I'm not saying he's going to be as good as those guys. But that's the style. He's a rugged quarterback with a strong arm. He's like a linebacker. He throws well on the run, but I expect him to be a pocket passer.

"I'm glad we got him."
End Quote
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...sw-cover_x.htm

Which quarterback of the past or present would you compare Carr?

To me, he seemed like the perfect guy coming in as a solid family man wearing a piece of tape in lieu of his wedding ring; and then during his first year he took a record setting beating starting all 16 games. Since that time I have given him the benefit of the doubt since our o-line has been dreadful but he has seemed like a different guy. Hope that guy who showed up against the Cowboys in the inaugural season throwing a bomb and a touchdown to kick things off.

That is the guy I want to see.

Not the pretty boy worried about breaking a nail or messing up his hair.

Perhaps a little too harsh but none-the-less.
I think if Carr was worried about breaking a nail he would of retired by now, he has been sacked 140 TIMES!

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #12
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
WOW.....thoose are some true statements Pretty Boy!!! You have got to be kidding me! Why not have a little respect for the guy that threw for 3,500 yds and 16 TDs last season and has been smacked around for 3 seasons now(sacked 140 times). This is a guy from California not Mississippi, Carr has his own still and you cant say anything about his effort on and off the football field! Stupidist and most Disrespectfull statements I have seen on this board.
Bro! Take it easy on the BOLD and perhaps I was bit disrespectful but I am not being stupid, just making a point.

You mention that I should show some "respect" for Carr since he threw for 3,500 yards last year and 16 touchdowns!??! Now who is being stupid?! Vinny Testaverde threw for 3,500 yards and 17 touchdowns last year and you saw the respect the Cowboys gave him showing him the door! Is that who you are comparing Carr to? Vinnie T? I hope NOT!

Look, as a person Carr is a fine young man and as an athlete he has good feet and has a great arm. I truly hope this is the year he breaks out and fills expectations. And I am not sure what you meant by he is from California and not Mississippi unless you were trying to help make my point, which was in case you missed it, was that Carr needs to lose his preoccupation with his hair (which was TOTALLY self-created) and it would be nice to see him lose the tantrum/whiner attitude and lead like a General ala year one.

If the offensive line improves this year we should expect marked improvement.

Like Brett Farve numbers of 4,300 yards and 31 touchdowns and NOT Carr or Testaverde numbers of 3,500 yards and 16 or 17 touchdowns.
Old 05-21-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mention that I should show some "respect" for Carr since he threw for 3,500 yards last year and 16 touchdowns!??! Now who is being stupid?! Vinny Testaverde threw for 3,500 yards and 17 touchdowns last year and you saw the respect the Cowboys gave him showing him the door! Is that who you are comparing Carr to? Vinnie T? I hope NOT!

Like Brett Farve numbers of 4,300 yards and 31 touchdowns and NOT Carr or Testaverde numbers of 3,500 yards and 16 or 17 touchdowns.
Testaverde got booted for the 20 INT's he threw not the 3500 passing yards. 3500 yds is just fine if the O runs efficiently--for reference, playoff QBs with less last year--Hasselbeck, Brees, Pennington, Roethlisberger.

Only 3 QB's had more than 4300 yds last year and Brett Favre wasn't one of them--in fact Favre has only thrown for over 4300 yds once in 14 seasons and that was a decade ago. 3800 yds and more TD's is a reasonable goal for expectations on Carr.
Old 05-21-2005   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bro! Take it easy on the BOLD and perhaps I was bit disrespectful but I am not being stupid, just making a point.

Look, as a person Carr is a fine young man and as an athlete he has good feet and has a great arm. I truly hope this is the year he breaks out and fills expectations. And I am not sure what you meant by he is from California and not Mississippi unless you were trying to help make my point, which was in case you missed it, was that Carr needs to lose his preoccupation with his hair (which was TOTALLY self-created) and it would be nice to see him lose the tantrum/whiner attitude and lead like a General ala year one.

I'm sorry I thought he grew the hair out to motivate his team. Also Carr threw his helmet after 3 years of being pile drived into the ground. How about you stand behind that line, come on I bet you'll love it. I'm sure you'll be in a cheerful mood and never get frustrated.

- Edmund Burke
Old 05-21-2005   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Oh okay everything ties into how the Oline will do, What does that have to do with Carr

- Edmund Burke
Old 05-21-2005   #16
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Carr is the Quarterback and not a wide out ala TO, Joe Horn or Randy Moss. And no, I would not call any of them lacking any potential as a WR but I would not want them leading my team; so really that is an apples to oranges argument.
Old 05-21-2005   #17
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
[/b]

Oh okay everything ties into how the Oline will do, What does that have to do with Carr
The o-line is the main reason reason we are not a successful offense IMO and a major reason Carr has not had time to succeed. If they improve he should have the opportunity to shine. We have a solid running game and a solid number one receiver in AJ, so it has to be the o-line. If the o-line improves so should Carr, his numbers, and the Texans offense.
Old 05-21-2005   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

hair thing is fickle. if the guy produces then who cares what his hair is..

Quote:
Who could have imagined that seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens, one of the grittiest players in baseball, would paint blond highlights in his spiky hair?
male athletes use hair as expression
Old 05-21-2005   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
The o-line is the main reason reason we are not a successful offense IMO and a major reason Carr has not had time to succeed. If they improve he should have the opportunity to shine. We have a solid running game and a solid number one receiver in AJ, so it has to be the o-line. If the o-line improves so should Carr, his numbers, and the Texans offense.
agreed. they are the key
DD is solid and can run.. Oline has to give Carr time to throw to open things up
Old 05-21-2005   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Okay so if all our and Carrs successes depend on the Oline, Why are you blaming Carr

- Edmund Burke

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read