Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Adrian Peterson arrested in Houston

texan279

Hall of Fame
NFL star Adrian Peterson was arrested early Thursday morning in Houston, TX and charged with resisting arrest ... TMZ has learned.

Peterson, who is recovering from a torn knee ligament suffered on Christmas Eve of last year, was booked into Houston Police Department Central Jail and posted $1,000 this morning.

On the jail's website, Peterson's charge is listed as "RESIST ARREST/SEARCH-UNCLASSIF."

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/07/adrian-peterson-arrested/

Arrested for resisting arrest? ...

"You are under arrest!" .. "Why? .. what did I do?" .. "Are you resisting?" .. "Yes" .. "OK, I am arresting you for that then".

Arrested for resisting arrest? ...

"You are under arrest!" .. "Why? .. what did I do?" .. "Are you resisting?" .. "Yes" .. "OK, I am arresting you for that then".

Weird to have an resisting arrest charge with no accompanying charge.

Anyway this doesn't sound good - for HPD at this point. Obviously more facts may come out including the video.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the incident culminating in Peterson’s arrest was captured by one or more surveillance cameras. Multiple persons also witnessed the event.

According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.

Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.

It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.

From PFT.com

Last edited:
One of the members of this forum, I'm pretty sure, is a police officer. Hopefully he can clear this up for us.

Anyway this doesn't sound good - for HPD at this point.

Sounds par for the course, since cops think they are God.

How dare you want to get some water before you leave?

Fact is the club owner can allow you to stay as long as you want, and consume whatever you want, just cant "sell" you anymore alcohol. Unless the owner of the establishment had a problem with him, I dont see what right the cops had to do anything.

Guess we will wait until all the facts come out, but HPD is becoming as embarrassing for Houston as the LAPD are for Los Angeles. Organized ignorance ...

Club Says He Was WASTED

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/07/adrian-peterson-arrested-drunk/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Adrian Peterson was heavily intoxicated at the time of his arrest, which was very out of character for the NFL star ... this according to the club where he was busted early this morning.

Daniel Maher, general manager of Live at Bayou Place, tells TMZ that Peterson has been to the club before, but he has never known him to drink much. Last night, however, Maher said Peterson was ver drunk and was a difficult customer all night.

Maher says Peterson was throwing his ego around and making people mad, so they put him in the VIP area. Maher says when the club was closing, he rushed over to the bar to try and order one last drink and when he wouldn't Maher says Peterson "tried to intimidate the bartender" into selling it to him.

According to Maher, that's when he intervened, but Peterson continued to be "unreasonable." That's when Maher says the off-duty cop intervened, and, as TMZ first reported, Peterson proceeded to shove him.

Maher says during his confrontation with the officer, Peterson assumed a fight stance and looked "like he meant business." Maher says, "He looked really scary and I thought he was gonna attack the cops."

Maher says that once the officers subdued Peterson, the NFL star apologized for his behavior and told cops he doesn't usually drink.

Peterson was eventually booked into jail and charged with resisting arrest.

Calls to Peterson's rep were not returned.

Weird to have an resisting arrest charge with no accompanying charge.

Anyway this doesn't sound good - for HPD at this point.

From PFT.com

This is not unusual in Harris County it happens every day. Its just not everyone has the money to expose the error like NFL players do.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Adrian_Peterson_police_report_he_complained_of_shortness_of_breath070712

After being arrested in Houston early Saturday, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson complained of shortness of breath when he arrived at the Houston city jail.

Kese Smith, a spokesman for the Houston police department, said Peterson was "examined by Houston fire department medical personnel," who, "pronounced him to be medically fine."

Here's the rest of the report from Peterson's arrest as relayed by Smith:

"This happened at a club in downtown Houston called the Bayou Live Nightclub.

"It began just after 2 a.m. this morning when a Houston police officer working an approved extra job as security began the process of clearing the bar of patrons. The bar had just closed.

"While doing so he approached Adrian Peterson, who was with a group of people next to the bar.

"Peterson was talking with that group of people next to the bar and the officer informed Peterson and the group that the bar was closed and asked them to walk toward the nearest exit.

"The officer left the group to continue advising other patrons the bar was closed. A short time later, the officer returned and found Peterson and the group still talking at the bar. The officer again asked everyone to leave the bar, reminding them that it was closed.

"As the officer turned away to remind other patrons of this, Peterson told the officer that the group had heard him the first time and pushed the officer in the shoulder causing him to stumble.

"The officer then informed Peterson he was under arrest and asked him to turn around and place his hands behind his back. Peterson instead began yelling at the officer who again told him to place his hands behind his back.

"As the officer attempted to place Peterson in handcuffs, Peterson pulled away from the officer and assumed a violent stance. At this time an HPD sergeant, who was also working an approved extra job, saw what was happening and attempted to assist in arresting Peterson.

"Peterson began struggling with both officers. During this entire time, that initial officer was giving verbal commands to Peterson to stop resisting and place his hands behind his back.

"Peterson ignored those verbal commands and continued to struggle with the officers and ultimately a third officer had to assist in detaining Peterson.

"Once placed in handcuffs, Peterson was transported to the Houston Police city jail where he complained of shortness of breath. He was examined by Houston fire department medical personnel who pronounced him to be medically fine.

"He was then booked into the jail and is charged with resisting arrest, which is a misdemeanor."

Adrian Peterson, apparently a bit intoxicated, put his hands on an officer. BIG mistake.

He was given multiple chances, from what I've been reading. And the officers involved, from what the stories report, appear to have been working APPROVED shifts at the location. Probably because people like Adrian Peterson get drunk and can't turn off the bravado switch.

Glad nobody was hurt. If AP doesn't drink much, as he admitted, maybe he will evaluate this situation and consider not drinking at all.

Dumb ass

It's not the good kind of clarity, though. The details really do make Peterson out to be the bad guy. ESPN Twin Cities has the report, which in a nutshell has Peterson talking back to an officer who was working security, and then shoving said officer which led to his arrest.

According to the report, the incident happened just after 2:00 a.m. when the Bayou Live Nightclub was closing and the security guards (who are police officers) were rounding up the patrons and telling them to go him. They reportedly told Peterson and his group that they needed to leave and make their way towards an exit, and then went on their business telling the rest. Eventually, they came back to Peterson, who was still standing and talking with his group, and asked him again.

Peterson than reportedly gave the officer the "I heard you the first time," line and then pushed the officer, causing him to stumble. At that point, the officer tried to arrest him, was failing in doing so, and the other officer assisted and hauled Peterson off the jail. There, Peterson complained of shortness of breath, was pronounced medically fine and was formally charged with resisting arrest, a misdemeanor.
http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-vikings/2012/7/7/3143569/adrian-peterson-arrest-video-vikings

Kind of refreshing the find an "inexperienced" 27 year old drinker.

I'm sure AP is suitably embarrassed by his behavior & will make amends.

So...... an off duty police officer can arrest your for resisting arrest? That don't sound right.

& I'm asking, because I'm probably going to need to know one day. If I hit an off-duty police officer, say working as a bouncer, would I be arrested for assaulting an officer?

So...... an off duty police officer can arrest your for resisting arrest? That don't sound right.

& I'm asking, because I'm probably going to need to know one day. If I hit an off-duty police officer, say working as a bouncer, would I be arrested for assaulting an officer?

An off duty cop can arrest you 24/7 for anything you illegally do that he/she observes.

As for the 'assaulting a police officer' when off duty, and I presume you mean no uniform nor did he/she even ID him/herself as an officer, I don't know. Maybe you could JUST(lol) get assault on that one.

Well, that's the point. If he is working as a bouncer, can Peterson be "resisting arrest" ?

I'm going to guess...yes.

I know that you are saying. If it is just you and the cop and he attempts to arrest you and you have no idea who this guy is, can he arrest you for resisting even though you don't yet know him to be the law? I'll guess yes.

I don't agree with it, but I'm betting it can happen. Cops literally get away with murder on a daily basis in this country so I would imagine this is small potatos on their screwyou-o-meter.

[enter powda]

Off duty police officers retain their law enforcement authority/duty 24/7. They do need to identify themselves as such.

Ever wonder why NBA players don't want to live here? Clubbing is often problematic.

He put his hands on an officer (shoved the officer in the shoulder) and that was the big No-No that made the officer say "You're under arrest."

Then he resisted arrest. Probably a misstatement by whomever made the report...you're under arrest and you resisted arrest, so you're under arrest. LOL.

The guy just cuffed and stuffed Adrian Peterson...I'm pretty sure he might have flubbed the terminology of how it went down.

Why is there this pervasive hate for law enforcement? I mean, every time one of these threads pops up...the cop is always guilty, immediately, of being a crazy maniac out of control. It gets old reading this stuff. All cops are bad, I guess???

Nope, too many empowered yahoos out there and it is my big money league.

Ah, so it's not really fishing then. It's more like setting a trot line to see how many fish you can get to take the bait (the "CHL owners are mostly a crazy bunch" bait).

Nice.

Judd Zulgad (of the Star Tribune) twitter>>>>>>>>

Just checked. For those asking, the off-duty cops in Houston WERE in uniform working security. Peterson could not have been confused.

Then if Peterson did what they allege he did, he should be in hot water and I'm pretty much on the side of the law here. It takes a special brand of knothead to shove a uniform...at 2:00am....in a nightclub.......when they are asking you to gtf out.

Why is there this pervasive hate for law enforcement? I mean, every time one of these threads pops up...the cop is always guilty, immediately, of being a crazy maniac out of control. It gets old reading this stuff. All cops are bad, I guess???

And those same people will be bitching and moaning when the cops don't show up in 30 seconds when something bad happens to them.

There isn't. Bad cops make the news and create headlines which generate threads and so discussion. Good cops rarely get headlines. It is the same with any profession. When was the last time you saw a report "Doctor operated on 7 people today and they all survived?" Or "engineer designed a bridge twenty years ago and it didn't fall down today?"

Then if Peterson did what they allege he did, he should be in hot water and I'm pretty much on the side of the law here. It takes a special brand of knothead to shove a uniform...at 2:00am....in a nightclub.......when they are asking you to gtf out.

The bold is a key element on murky facts we don't know. It is why I am wondering if additional charges are going to be brought or this gets dumped. You can't be resisting arrest until there is an attempted arrest, search or transportation (detained). Some cop walks up grabs your arm and says hey you need to leave and you pull your arm away you may be stupid but you aren't resisting arrest.

An off duty cop can arrest you 24/7 for anything you illegally do that he/she observes.

As for the 'assaulting a police officer' when off duty, and I presume you mean no uniform nor did he/she even ID him/herself as an officer, I don't know. Maybe you could JUST(lol) get assault on that one.
Bolded is quite important when they are off-duty.

Ever wonder why NBA players don't want to live here? Clubbing is often problematic.
It sure is when you have a hearing problem and don't leave when repeatedly ordered to by uniformed cops. Let's not leave out being a jerk that got moved to a VIP room as you were disturbing other patrons.

[enter powda]

With hesitation.

No da I know is going to maintain an asslt pub servant charge on an off duty cop who doesn't identify himself. You'd be looking at a misd A assault.

The reason for the resisting only charge is simple. Think of it like a dwi charge. Cop pulls you over for speeding, finds out your drunk and arrests you. You fight the speeding charge and win...without speeding there can be no dwi so that charge is tossed to. Instead a lot of agencies skip the speeding and only charge dwi. Make sense?

Exit Powda.

The reason for the resisting only charge is simple. Think of it like a dwi charge. Cop pulls you over for speeding, finds out your drunk and arrests you. You fight the speeding charge and win...without speeding there can be no dwi so that charge is tossed to. Instead a lot of agencies skip the speeding and only charge dwi. Make sense?

As a practical matter it does to a minor maybe degree but as a legal matter it does not. No underlying offense is required in Texas for DUI. You only need probable cause for the stop. Your assertion if the speeding is tossed the DUI will be is flat incorrect. Unlike states like TN (McNair incident) you can just weave within your lane (some states like TN require you to actually leave your lane) and get pulled and tested for suspicion of drunk driving. Even there other grounds can uphold a stop and DUI.

More to the point for resisting arrest there is a precursor act required by the police officer. Even in uniform he can't walk up and tell you to jump and when you refuse it is resisting arrest. He has to attempt to arrest (funny how that makes it into the name of the charge), search or transport you. Then you have to resist. Saying get the f out of here is none of the above.

To be clear I am not judging this case at all. The facts will be very important. There is nothing illegal about asking for water after 2 am. Shoving someone could arguably be assault. If it is all on video, someone is getting a black eye.

As a practical matter it does to a minor maybe degree but as a legal matter it does not. No underlying offense is required in Texas for DUI. You only need probable cause for the stop. Your assertion if the speeding is tossed the DUI will be is flat incorrect. Unlike states like TN (McNair incident) you can just weave within your lane (some states like TN require you to actually leave your lane) and get pulled and tested for suspicion of drunk driving. Even there other grounds can uphold a stop and DUI.

More to the point for resisting arrest there is a precursor act required by the police officer. Even in uniform he can't walk up and tell you to jump and when you refuse it is resisting arrest. He has to attempt to arrest (funny how that makes it into the name of the charge), search or transport you. Then you have to resist. Saying get the f out of here is none of the above.

To be clear I am not judging this case at all. The facts will be very important. There is nothing illegal about asking for water after 2 am. Shoving someone could arguably be assault. If it is all on video, someone is getting a black eye.

Perhaps dwi is a bad example though I see it all the time and keep in mind theres a dash cam present. If you can articulate weaving then there is pc for the stop. Without it you need another reason to pull someone over...hence the speeding example. If there is no speeding (or weaving etc...) there is no reason to effect the stop. If the speeding charge is beat theres no pc to have ever found the dwi.

In Petersons case, he was on private property. Business hours were over and officers were ushering people out the door. You cant just stay wherever you want whenever you want if its private property. I read and can speculate very easily on a patron who was pi and refused to leave (tresspassing). If he threatened or shoved an officer away then screw him...forget the fame and status...at that point he's just another turd.

Perhaps dwi is a bad example though I see it all the time and keep in mind theres a dash cam present. If you can articulate weaving then there is pc for the stop. Without it you need another reason to pull someone over...hence the speeding example. If there is no speeding (or weaving etc...) there is no reason to effect the stop. If the speeding charge is beat theres no pc to have ever found the dwi.

Everything you are talking about is needing PC not needing an underlying charge. That is the underlying distinction I was pointing out. PC doesn't have to mean a charge. Somebody can be holding a Red Bull in a coozie at 3 am halfway nodding off committing no offense and the court will probably hold up the PC. I know of a woman who was parked legally sleeping in her car but it was a non-residential area and she got convicted of DUI.

You cant just stay wherever you want whenever you want if its private property. .

Totally agree with that and the business owner has the right to forcibly eject you. The question I am raising is whether the cop actually did enough to support a criminal charge. I am sure further facts will emerge like the video although it probably won't have audio. But there is a big difference between "I am arresting you for PI" and "hey buddy you need to leave."

PC doesn't have to mean a charge.

Exactly. If you dont have pc to pull somone over in the first place everything you find is tossed no matter how substantial. Just wanted to clarify for some of the other posters. You can be detained without being arrested...if you resist that detainment you get charges like the one put against ap...

With hesitation.

No da I know is going to maintain an asslt pub servant charge on an off duty cop who doesn't identify himself. You'd be looking at a misd A assault.

Exit Powda.

Or they trump up another charge to have reason to pull you over, just saying...

Ah, so it's not really fishing then. It's more like setting a trot line to see how many fish you can get to take the bait (the "CHL owners are mostly a crazy bunch" bait).

Nice.

No, but some fish are hungrier than others, while others react as a defensive mechanism. Moreover, some fish will go after artificial lures as readily as live bait.

Every fish is different, just like CHL owners, running backs and fantasy leagues.

Judd Zulgad (of the Star Tribune) twitter>>>>>>>>

But, but....AD is not a Houstonian and might not know how Houston cops dress. :mcnugget: Or.....or.....maybe he was just too drunk to know it is against the law to beat up cops. He is innocent I tell ya...

The guy just cuffed and stuffed Adrian Peterson...I'm pretty sure he might have flubbed the terminology of how it went down.

Took three of them to get him "cuffed and stuffed" ... that first donut eating waste of taxpayer money wouldnt have had a chance.

Because they are arrogant pricks who protect and serve NOTHING. They are their to act like barney-bad-asses, and steal your money. If it were up to me cop uniforms would come with bulleyes embroidered on them ...

So it sounds like he was drunk and did a big no-no and pushed a uniformed officer and even went chickensh-- and did it when the officer's back was turned. The officer placed him under arrest (probably to escort him out, who wants to deal with paperwork for a push) and Peterson resisted arrest and made things 100 times worse.

Why are people defending him now?

This actually isn't true completely. There are a lot of NBA players and NFL players who have homes in Houston, but don't play here. I will say that lately there is a thought out there amongst a lot of people that clubbing options for young, rich, BLACK athletes have become limited here in Houston. Probably a good thing though because it would seem to do these guys a favor and keep them out of trouble.

As for as AP, I really see it as being out of character for him. If he initiated contact with the officer then he was justified in being arrested. HPD hasn't been notorious for throwing their weight around against high profile athletes here, but there have been a couple of incidents that have brought attention. In fact, most of the interactions that I've been around have seen HPD cater to guys in different ways to look out for them. Pretty sure that more will come out over the next few days, but I'm sure the Vikings probably just care that AP was out getting hammered while he's trying to recover from an ACL injury. Having seen my share of fights in clubs and bars in Houston, I'm sure they would want him to not chance it by being in that type of environment.

Why are people defending him now?
Cop did what he had to do.

I don't defend what AP did, but his reputation is as a pretty solid guy. Probably shouldn't get drunk, but did. Acted a fool, got popped. It happens. Doesn't define who he is, though, except that he's human and made a mistake.

No, but some fish are hungrier than others, while others react as a defensive mechanism. Moreover, some fish will go after artificial lures as readily as live bait.

Every fish is different, just like CHL owners, running backs and fantasy leagues.

LOL. Good fishing analogies!

Do you have a CFPL?

Concealed Fishing Pole License.

Well, he's gonna get cuffed and stuffed by Sheriff Wade Phillips the next time he's in Houston.

And Deputies JJ Watt and Brian Cushing will be assisting.

LOL. Somebody had to say it...

Well, he's gonna get cuffed and stuffed by Sheriff Wade Phillips the next time he's in Houston.

And Deputies JJ Watt and Brian Cushing will be assisting.

LOL. Somebody had to say it...
Just send him down to Washington Ave. He'll be denied at every point.

Back