Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-09-2012   #61
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adrian Peterson arrested in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Please explain why.
It's a fineable offense that could easily disappear with some time and quiet behind-the-scenes diplomacy. Rusty gets in front of the cameras & tends to pick fights. ( I've retained him in the past.) There are a number of highly respected local attorneys who would be better suited to making it disappear, imo.

Now, perhaps Rusty will take another tack here. But that's not his usual M.O. He's a good guy to go to trial with.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #62
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 62011 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Vikings' Adrian Peterson's dad: Officer used 'vulgar language,' was 'disrespectful'

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...age?source=rss

Quote:
The off-duty police officer who confronted Adrian Peterson used "vulgar language" and was "disrespectful" when asking the Minnesota Vikings running back to leave the club in downtown Houston over the weekend, Peterson's father, Nelson, told the Pioneer Press.

"From what I've gathered, he was very disrespectful to Adrian," Nelson said by phone Monday, July 9.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #63
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
It's a fineable offense that could easily disappear with some time and quiet behind-the-scenes diplomacy. Rusty gets in front of the cameras & tends to pick fights. ( I've retained him in the past.) There are a number of highly respected local attorneys who would be better suited to making it disappear, imo.

Now, perhaps Rusty will take another tack here. But that's not his usual M.O. He's a good guy to go to trial with.
That's the thing - AP may have no intention of a result other than dismissal or trial in which case Rusty is one of the best.
Old 07-09-2012   #64
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Adrian Peterson arrested in Houston

I'm guessing the truth is some where in the middle.

AP admits he was drunk.

We all have witnessed off duty cops on power trips.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #65
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 62011 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...1464--nfl.html

Quote:
Here's Hardin's first statement on behalf of his new client:

Adrian Peterson did not resist arrest this past Saturday morning and any suggestion that he pushed, struck or shoved a Houston Police Officer is a total fabrication. He, in fact, was struck at least twice in the face for absolutely no legitimate reason, and when all the evidence is impartially reviewed, it will clearly show Adrian was the victim, not the aggressor.

We have been investigating what happened since Saturday afternoon, and it is absolutely clear to me that the charges should not have been filed, and the Bayou Club owes Adrian an apology for having put out a totally false version of what happened. Adrian Peterson does not act the way he has been described in the initial reports, and he did not act that way Saturday morning. He was only in that club for 30 to 40 minutes, was never objectionable to other patrons, and never physically resisted any police officer. Adrian is extremely upset about these false allegations. These charges are totally at odds with the way he has conducted himself throughout his career, and he asks that his fans and the public at large reserve judgment until they hear all the facts. Adrian looks forward to his day in court.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #66
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Rusty is just doing what he does best, but it reads like B.S. to me.

So Peterson arrived at the club at 1:20 a.m.? And was just minding his own business when a cop started hitting on him? And the club's GM was completely fabricating his drunken belligerence and need to put him in VIP area to keep him away from other customers?

yeah, sounds legit.
Old 07-09-2012   #67
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yep. Especially when the club's GM said in a public statement that AP was "throwing his ego around and making people mad, so they put him in the VIP area."

Just another drunk pro athlete with his head up in the clouds and HPD made his feet touch the ground. But, I'm sure Rusty Hardin will be glad to take his hard earned money and get this absolved.
The only people I keep hearing with "AP's version" of the story are his family & lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm not sure why this is getting so much chatter. There are no bad cops here. I think they went easy on him. JMO.

The one problem I do have with the story is actually a philosophical one not specific to this story, and that is off-duty police acting with full authority of the police. I have always had an issue with that, but it has no real bearing on this specific story.
AP is claming he got a black eye out of the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
Vikings' Adrian Peterson's dad: Officer used 'vulgar language,' was 'disrespectful']
Yep, probably along the lines of "Get the **** out!" after he had to ask a second time.
Old 07-09-2012   #68
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
We all have witnessed every cop who ever lived on power trips.
fify
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #69
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I know Rusty is just doing what he does best, but it reads like B.S. to me.

So Peterson arrived at the club at 1:20 a.m.? And was just minding his own business when a cop started hitting on him? And the club's GM was completely fabricating his drunken belligerence and need to put him in VIP area to keep him away from other customers?

yeah, sounds legit.
Cops are *******s and the club "GM" is probably also the one making the kickback money off the X and Coke being sold in the bathroom and passing it along to the cop to look the other way.

Yeah, sounds legit.
Old 07-09-2012   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't AP's dad an ex-con??? I'd be asking dad to stay quiet, just offer support...we'll handle the legal accusations.

And he's saying cops used vulgar language??? LOL. Well, this isn't kindergarten class...I'm sure an expletive or three was said on many sides.

AP should walk away. He's just causing himself more P.R. trouble by keeping this in the headlines. And the Vikes get their team name in the headlines and stories the whole way too.

Pride. It's a helluva' drug.
Old 07-09-2012   #71
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
The only people I keep hearing with "AP's version" of the story are his family & lawyer.

AP is claming he got a black eye out of the deal.

Yep, probably along the lines of "Get the **** out!" after he had to ask a second time.
I don't see any redness or swelling around an eye or a facial expression of someone who was beat up. Just the pink cheeks of someone who's been drinking.

Regardless, I hope the bar has cameras that caught whatever did happen but I tend to give the cops the benefit of the doubt since they normally just want everyone to go home so they can also leave.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #72
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And he's saying cops used vulgar language??? LOL. Well, this isn't kindergarten class...I'm sure an expletive or three was said on many sides.
Really?

If you say "**** you" to a cop they can arrest you for assault.
Old 07-09-2012   #73
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The one problem I do have with the story is actually a philosophical one not specific to this story, and that is off-duty police acting with full authority of the police. I have always had an issue with that, but it has no real bearing on this specific story.
I have the same misgiving - not specific to this story. I don't see why this power which belongs to everyone is not enough when off duty:

Quote:
Art. 14.01. OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or any other person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.
Maybe some tweaks for officers being automatic CHL off-duty, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Regardless, I hope the bar has cameras that caught whatever did happen but I tend to give the cops the benefit of the doubt since they normally just want everyone to go home so they can also leave.
Supposedly they do have cameras.

Sure generally the cops working security are fine. The very great majority of the time in fact. But, and I am not saying this applies here, every once in a while you get the jackass. For example I was standing at a bar downtown next to a female friend and she started to get into an argument with the bartender. All the sudden I get two hand shoved in the back, whirl and there you go an off-duty but in uniform cop who literally said "what you gonna do?" As far as I am concerned he should have lost all legal protection at that point. If you can't have the professionalism expected of an on-duty officer then you shouldn't have the authority or protection when off-duty.
Old 07-09-2012   #74
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is what's so strange about this story. Generally, the cops and bouncers are overly accomodating to athletes while they're out in the clubs in Houston. I've seen them taking pictures, getting autographs, and engaging in casual conversation on many occasions. I was talking to a few friends about how out of character this is on all levels.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #75
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see any redness or swelling around an eye or a facial expression of someone who was beat up. Just the pink cheeks of someone who's been drinking.
I swear I'm not trying to be funny, but the first thing I thought when I saw that pic was Wanda Wayne. I hate to say that, but it was an honest reaction. Get the man a blond wig and he's good to go.
Old 07-09-2012   #76
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nelson Peterson got out of prison?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #77
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Nelson Peterson got out of prison?
Link to ESPN The Magazine story, regarding his dad's release from prison (8 year stint) that coincided with a OU-UT game played in Dallas where AP played but his dad couldn't attend due to probation restrictions that forbid him crossing the Texas-Oklahoma state line.

He's been out quite awhile now.
Old 07-09-2012   #78
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I have the same misgiving - not specific to this story. I don't see why this power which belongs to everyone is not enough when off duty:
Glad the jobs are there...couldnt survive financially without it. Regular pay is twice as much as regular salary. Holiday rates can be 3-4 times as much. Keep in mind though anything you work is overtime and there is no insurance should there be a problem.
Old 07-09-2012   #79
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Glad the jobs are there...couldnt survive financially without it. Regular pay is twice as much as regular salary. Holiday rates can be 3-4 times as much. Keep in mind though anything you work is overtime and there is no insurance should there be a problem.
Don't have a problem with the jobs, but police should carry the same authority when they are doing an off duty security job as any other random security guard, i.e., any regular citizen. The companies that hired LEOs for off duty security work under that scenario would still be getting value for their dollar, because security guards in all other ways are a joke. So it really wouldn't impact the jobs part of it, IMO.
Old 07-09-2012   #80
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure what "LED's" mean, but I have no problem with "off-duty" HPD officers working extra jobs, especially "in uniform" making a few extra bucks... "Well other than the fact I don't like, nor generally get along with HPD (past experiences/arrests)" but generally respect what they intend to do.

I may on a vary rare occasion be a drunken fool, but continue in your express on serious, violent crimes.... That would be AWESOME!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read