Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2012   #81
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster going vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A diet high in animal protein is known to be harmful (many would say disastrous) to our health, while a plant-based (vegan) diet prevents disease and is restorative to our health. This is re-inforced with a myriad of peer-reviewed scientific medical studies/trials. Even the very conservative ADA (American Dietetic Association) released a Position Satement :

[Full Position Paper-http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-aru070109.php
I was unaware that a vegetarian diet can possibly lower your blood pressure. I have semi-high blood pressure (usually 140s), but I'm a bit resistant to taking drugs for it. I'm not overweight by any means, so I've resorted to lowering my sodium intake.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but since we're on the topic...aside from lowering my sodium intake, how can I alter my diet to lower my blood pressure? I'm willing to become a vegetarian...or even a vegan.
Old 07-08-2012   #82
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but since we're on the topic...aside from lowering my sodium intake, how can I alter my diet to lower my blood pressure? I'm willing to become a vegetarian...or even a vegan.
10 ways to control high blood pressure without medication: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...essure/HI00027

DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dash-diet/HI00047

Download PDF Your Guide to Lowering Your Blood Pressure with DASH: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #83
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was unaware that a vegetarian diet can possibly lower your blood pressure. I have semi-high blood pressure (usually 140s), but I'm a bit resistant to taking drugs for it. I'm not overweight by any means, so I've resorted to lowering my sodium intake.

The DASH diet, as Playoff pointed out, is not a bad place to start, again I would lean heavily on the the plant side.

In general, stay away from canned soups, canned vegetables and definitely learn to watch sodium on labels. Don't be fooled by glancing at, for example, a typical soup can that says 600 mgs sodium.......that's 600 per serving and there are typically 3 to 3.5 servings per can..........who has 1/3 of a can of soup????? You've really got to watch out for the company labeling tricks.

Fried foods are usually full of salt as well as any processed meats. Chinese and Italian foods are typically loaded with salt. Beware any time you go eat out (minimize it if you can)..........the salt shaker tends to get dropped in everything that you order unless its ordered fresh and natural. Don't be shy about telling the waiter to prepare with no salt. And try to avoid most fast food establishments.

Supplements that are quite helpful with lowering/controlling blood pressure include potassium and magnesium. There are recent studies that demonstrate blood pressure lowering properties associated with Vitamin D supplementation......all year round, but especially in non-sunny months.
It would be a good idea to obtain base line blood tests measuring sodium, potasium, magnesium, calcium and Vitamin D levels.

Try salt substitutes like NuSalt.

BTW, load up on decaf green tea as it can help lower and maintain blood pressure as well as prevent elevation of blood pressure. Avoid caffeine and other stimulants as much as possible.

And, above all, try to attain the magic number or 3 hours total for weekly aerobic exercise, which is one of the strongest non-dietary factors for lowering blood pressure.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #84
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow.
What a varied reaction from everyone!
Im no vegan, but I ocasionally go that route.
One thing that I have found to work is to eliminate all soy, wheat, and sugar. I lost 12 lbs in one month just by doing that. Wheat is the hardest to avoid. It's everywhere. For "bread" I'd use the sprouted grain/bean "bread" (I use "" because you'd need to toast it twice to be edible). For protien I would use either whey or egg white.

Again, not vegan, just less meat. I'd still eat fish, chicken and beef, just less of it.
Old 07-08-2012   #85
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

lame.
Old 07-09-2012   #86
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The DASH diet, as Playoff pointed out, is not a bad place to start, again I would lean heavily on the the plant side.
Thanks for all the advice! I really do appreciate it!

MSR
Old 07-09-2012   #87
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Personally, *if* he isn't already on a vegan diet I think it's a bad time to start, he should continue his normal routine till the offseason and make the switch then so he has time to work out what works best for him.

We are 60 days away from the season, and IMHO a major diet change that close to the season isn't something I like to from our players. As CND pointed out B12 is an issue for some people to digest from vegan based diets, and supplements depending on the absorbtion rate could take some time for him to figure out.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2012   #88
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
****BALANCE****

Are we not omnivores??? Keep balance in your lives.. I'm not a huge veggie person but have learned or talked myself out of red meat several times a week and worked in many other healthy proteins (i.e. fish, pork, etc)...

I'm not a big fan of cooked veggies but work in a lot of raw veggies and some fruits. Unfortunately many fruits (while having healthty benefits) also contain a lot of sugar... So, be carefull!!
I used to be the same way. I had some grilled zucchini at the outlaws house a year or two ago and it was great. I usually grill some up a couple times a week now, or whenever I fire up the grill. Marinate them for a while and only grill them a min or two on each side. That way you still have the full texture of the vegetable rather than the mushy crap. That would be what used to kick in my gag reflexes.
Old 07-09-2012   #89
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
If it's for health, whatever.

If it's for animal rights, nonsensical "moral" reasons, that's just ****ing stupid.
Classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
#1 it will affect his performance (unless he is PED loading)

#2 it will affect his health (unless he cheats on the diet)

Humans were never designed to be vegans. That's why
we can digest bones and don't have four stomachs (or other
oddities) and such like true herbivores.

TJ
True but humans weren't made to eat the amounts of meat and sugar most Americans eat every year either. Perhaps he has a digestive disorder that pushed him in this direction, who knows? I know I can't eat beef like I used to and shrimp is starting to be a bad idea too.

I would never take it as far as not drinking milk but caring for the animals and about the industry producing our foods is noble and nothing less.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #90
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

A buddy of mine (avid hunter) gave me an article written by a nutritionist/Dr. from a hunting magazine many years ago.

It was mainly about advocating wild meat being so much better for consumption than mass produced meat.

Some interesting aspects of the article were that human digestive systems have not evolved as quickly as our modern menus. We basically have the same digestive system that humans had 10,000 years ago.

He also pointed out that while we are omnivores, capable of digesting both plant and animals, early humans of the hunter/gatherer cultures never ate meat every day, much less with every meal. They ate plants/fruits/vegetables in season and meat when they could hunt it. They also walked a lot and went through regular periods of fasting due to the occasional scarcity of food.
Old 07-09-2012   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
He also pointed out that while we are omnivores, capable of digesting both plant and animals, early humans of the hunter/gatherer cultures never ate meat every day, much less with every meal. They ate plants/fruits/vegetables in season and meat when they could hunt it. They also walked a lot and went through regular periods of fasting due to the occasional scarcity of food.
I don't know why people can't see the obvious truth in this and where speedfreak is coming up with these all meat eating societies. OK nothing much grows around the Inuits. That is not the norm. And I don't know what kind of hunting people are thinking of where it's just easy to walk around and shoot big macs for everyone for three meals a day with primitive equipment. I've shot dove with my bow but you aren't giving a family a big whopping serving of meat at night doing it.

It's like folks think because we are omnivores it means be as close to carnivore as possible. Bears are omnivores and only eat 10-15% meat.

Quote:
Humans were never designed to be vegans. That's why we can digest bones and don't have four stomachs (or other
Have you ever put a piece of bone in a cow to be able to tell they can't digest bones?

Are you sure it is digested v. passed? Due to turbulence I swallowed a plastic toothpick one time. No idea what its ultimate destiny was but either way it didn't mean we were designed to eat plastic toothpicks.

You realize there are "true herbivores" with a single stomach, right?
Old 07-09-2012   #92
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A buddy of mine (avid hunter) gave me an article written by a nutritionist/Dr. from a hunting magazine many years ago.

It was mainly about advocating wild meat being so much better for consumption than mass produced meat.

Some interesting aspects of the article were that human digestive systems have not evolved as quickly as our modern menus. We basically have the same digestive system that humans had 10,000 years ago.

You would enjoy Eat Right For Your Type.

The guy has had his stuff published in New England Journal of Medicine.

He says our blood type and DNA and digestive system are all tied together, and predicated upon our ancestral eating habits.

Type O is the oldest blood type, meat eaters. Ever wonder why some people eat crazy amounts of meat and they are skinny as a rail??? Ask them their blood type, it'll be Type O more than likely.

Type A's ancestors were hunter/gatherers..living on picked vegetation and nuts, berries. This group eventually stopped being nomadic and settled into farming a consistent homestead. Type A's do best on a diet heavy in leafy greens, nuts, fruits, and small quantities of meat protein.

His studies showed that our red blood cells, when attempting to carry food nutrients throughout the body, sense if a food substance is beneficial or harmful (based on DNA markup!) and if it's a bad food...it triggers the white blood cells to wrap the bad food with a coating and whisk it away to be stored as fat.

Thus, WHAT we eat can indeed cause heart disease and cancer...but it's predicated upon BLOOD TYPE and what that person eats.

Fascinating book. Reputable.
Old 07-09-2012   #93
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Your friend pointed you in the right direction. If one is going to eat meat, game meat, in general, is a healthier choice of meat as it’s rich in proteins, has fewer calories, more lean tissue, higher amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids and higher amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids. Not to mention, there is no concern for growth hormones or antibiotics being fed to these animals.
Old 07-09-2012   #94
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I take Losartan to help control my blood-pressure. Blood pressure can kill you man, dont play around with it. My oldest brother had HBP and wouldn't control it, wouldn't take medication, wouldn't slow down on the whiskey ... 43 years old and a gland burst in his brain and killed him. Official coroners cause of death ... hypertension.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #95
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
#1 it will affect his performance (unless he is PED loading)

#2 it will affect his health (unless he cheats on the diet)

Humans were never designed to be vegans. That's why
we can digest bones and don't have four stomachs (or other

TJ
I just wanted to point out that humans have the same movable jaw as a cow. We are able to grind our teeth as opposed to carnivores such as dogs and cats. We also do not have fangs but flat teeth like cows.

What's your explanation for this?
Old 07-09-2012   #96
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You would enjoy Eat Right For Your Type.

Fascinating book. Reputable.
I thought I read that that "blood type" diet stuff was unsubstantiated nonsense?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #97
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 7456 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I just wanted to point out that humans have the same movable jaw as a cow. We are able to grind our teeth as opposed to carnivores such as dogs and cats. We also do not have fangs but flat teeth like cows.

What's your explanation for this?
Bingo. We came from cows not monkeys.
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #98
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Whichever route Foster chooses, including vegan, he should be fine.

The Buddhist Shoalin Monks [VIDEO] have always been considered one of the strongest and deadliest warriors in history, especially in hand-to-hand combat. They are strict vegans.

I wouldn't be too excited about trying hand-to-hand with a gorilla either. They are said to have ~10 times the strength of a well-built human of equivalent size. They are essentially vegan. In fact, they eat so many plants during a day, they virtually need no water. However, some would point out that they eat the plants with insects on them along with termites and larvae........I'm sure that would make the difference in a 400 pounder.

When's the last time the "weakling" Clydesdales horse had a steak?
Old 07-09-2012   #99
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whichever route Foster chooses, including vegan, he should be fine.

The Buddhist Shoalin Monks [VIDEO] have always been considered one of the strongest and deadliest warriors in history, especially in hand-to-hand combat. They are strict vegans.

I wouldn't be too excited about trying hand-to-hand with a gorilla either. They are said to have ~10 times the strength of a well-built human of equivalent size. They are essentially vegan. In fact, they eat so many plants during a day, they virtually need no water. However, some would point out that they eat the plants with insects on them along with termites and larvae........I'm sure that would make the difference in a 400 pounder.

When's the last time the "weakling" Clydesdales horse had a steak?
I could see Cody do a segment covering this subject with his own twisted island style.........

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #100
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post
Bingo. We came from cows not monkeys.
Leave me out of any beginning evolutionary debate. I hope you weren't mocking me. I'm just saying that our lateral incisors are not fangs.

As an aside, I thought humans cooked like chicken, not beef.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read