Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-07-2012   #61
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster going vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
NO SHOT B12 (cyanocobalamin form) by World Organic 1000mcg instant dissolve micro tablets (available on the web and at Whole Foods).
Quote:
First make sure...
As always, MSR for your good help Doc.

I get more MSRs for you than anyone.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #62
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
#1 it will affect his performance (unless he is PED loading)

#2 it will affect his health (unless he cheats on the diet)

Humans were never designed to be vegans. That's why
we can digest bones and don't have four stomachs (or other
oddities) and such like true herbivores.

TJ
Actually Genesis disagree with you.
Old 07-07-2012   #63
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Actually Genesis disagree with you.
Just like dinosaurs, right?
Old 07-08-2012   #64
Commodore
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Commodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respected

Human beings lived almost entirely off animal products for 99% of our existence as a species.

To claim eating meat is unhealthy is to go against evolutionary history. If anything, it's grains and sugar we are not designed to eat.

But really, this and every other claim in this thread is hearsay. Clinical trials are all that matter.
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #65
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
To claim eating meat is unhealthy is to go against evolutionary history.
So, once again it is proven to be a wise assertion.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #66
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Human beings lived almost entirely off animal products for 99% of our existence as a species.

To claim eating meat is unhealthy is to go against evolutionary history. If anything, it's grains and sugar we are not designed to eat.

But really, this and every other claim in this thread is hearsay. Clinical trials are all that matter.
No problem with your reference to sugar and some grains.

But “heresy”? Your last statement is misinformed on so many levels, I do not have the time or patience to address it in all but short summary.

A diet high in animal protein is known to be harmful (many would say disastrous) to our health, while a plant-based (vegan) diet prevents disease and is restorative to our health. This is re-inforced with a myriad of peer-reviewed scientific medical studies/trials. Even the very conservative ADA (American Dietetic Association) released a Position Satement :

Quote:
Vegetarian diets are often associated with a number of health advantages, including lower blood cholesterol levels, lower risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure levels, and lower risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes. Vegetarians tend to have a lower body mass index (BMI) and lower overall cancer rates.
[Full Position Paper-http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-aru070109.php]

No one is trying to force anyone into a specific type of diet.....just presenting such with well-known and scientifically established benefits.
I sincerely invite you or anyone else to enjoy your steaks, but please don’t make outlandish statements against those that have chosen, for whatever reasons, to incorporate some very simple, well-established healthful principles.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #67
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though I dont follow a vegan diet, it would be foolish to think that it isn't good for your health.

What your mother told you was true. Eat your veggies they're good for you.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2012   #68
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 26703 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

>A diet high in animal protein is known to be harmful (many would say disastrous) to our health

Most eroneous statement you could possibly make.

Too many people are reading animal rights propaganda sold as "vegan diet" books based on junk science, usually with biased chinese data (and the govt. of China strictly controls what is released to the public)

If you bother to take the time to study immunology, virology, paleo-biology and other sciences related to normal human development you would know this.

Anyone who argues that a plant only diet is the healthiest diet for humans simply does not have a broad enough understanding of human evolution, development from birth, and degenerative disease prevention throughout life.

This is not a medical forum, so I don't really have a desired to dump 7 years of my own personal research here. But anyone who is sold on the vegan lifestyle needs to do research outside the domain of simply "diet".

I would recommend that you study the case of the Inuit natives, and works
on areas like the Franchthi Cave etc.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #69
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I'm pretty sure CnD would indulge you in medical stuff if you want him to since he is a doctor. I would trust his word first.

I think it should be fairly common knowledge that an animal based diet, especially one with a lot of red meat is more detrimental than beneficial. Sure it has its benefits but those can all be supplemented elsewhere in today's world. I eat red meat very seldomly and when I do eat meat it's usually lean chicken or sometimes some fish(technically not meat to some).
Old 07-08-2012   #70
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
This is not a medical forum, so I don't really have a desired to dump 7 years of my own personal research here.
Oh, now I understand ... you're only 7.
Old 07-08-2012   #71
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

duplicate
Old 07-08-2012   #72
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 26703 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

>I think it should be fairly common knowledge that an animal based diet, especially one with a lot of red meat is more detrimental than beneficial

The problem with this statement is the same problem that
gets propagated over and over again in junk science.

The studies that report that red meat is more detrimental than beneficial are studies that look at red meat in conjunction with typical eastern or western diet. That, by it's very nature, is selection bias that ruins the study.

There are plenty of humans living on the planet today that eat diets mostly composed of highly fatty (saturated) meats and very little of anything else -- and they are doing quite nicely.

Some tribes even smoke tobacco their entire lives and have no
increase in cancer or decrease in life span.

You cannot do a valid study on the american public and assume by changing one variable that you've accounted for all of the other possible combinations. This is the basis for weeding out junk science.

And by the way, just because someone is a physician doesn't mean they have total knowledge of what a healthy human diet is. In fact, there are many physicians who's entire degree was earned based on how well they could recite the PDR. (not a comment against this person specifically..)

This is how you get absurd statements like "eating cheerios prevents heart disease"

If anyone on here wants to debate the merits of an animal based diet versus a vegan diet I'd be happy to oblidge, but not in this forum. Just PM me.

I just wanted to add my two cents in that if Arian goes full vegan, he will most likely decrease his performance, have a more difficult time recovering from injury and run the risk of missing playing time due to a weaker immune system. (research the effects of increased blood glucose on the leukocyte index for example..)

This will be amplified if he resorts to aquiring his protein from sources like soy..

If his motivation was to avoid harming animals, he could become a lacto-ovo vegetarian and have less side effects -- although the dairy of other animals is not particularly healthy for humans either..

T
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #73
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

****BALANCE****

Are we not omnivores??? Keep balance in your lives.. I'm not a huge veggie person but have learned or talked myself out of red meat several times a week and worked in many other healthy proteins (i.e. fish, pork, etc)...

I'm not a big fan of cooked veggies but work in a lot of raw veggies and some fruits. Unfortunately many fruits (while having healthty benefits) also contain a lot of sugar... So, be carefull!!
Old 07-08-2012   #74
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As has been previously brought up, there is no argument that the avoidance of processed foods, sugar, and many grains (most of which, like Cherios are processed) with attention to low glycemic foods in order to better control blood sugar (applied also when choosing a plant-based intake) are all excellent points to keep in mind.

I never posted in this thread intending to defend the vegan diet or to entirely denegrate the intake of meat. The mounds of medical research re-inforcing the benefits of a plant-oriented diet cannot all be accounted for by politically-motivated sources, or driven by scientifically-ignorant, blinded nut cases. I would have to say that taking on what some would consider a “difficult” plant-oriented diet would be much more appealing and more likely to be followed than eating high Omega-3 raw or extremely lightly boiled seal and whale meat served with a side of raw whale blubber. Most of the world’s centenarians have been vegan, vegetarian or those choosing a minimalistic meat diet.

In closing, I will also leave my last thoughts on this subject. A person’s choice in this matter is not one set in stone. Nor is it for Arian. Arian should do well with a vegetable-based diet, even if he leaves an open door to adding high quality protein in the form of some fish or lean meat to his diet in the future. In the end, this will all be up to him, depending on how he perceives his level of stamina and performance.

It’s funny how we are the only animals on earth that don't know what the hell to eat. Are we vegans, carnivores or omnivores? All other animals know instinctively what to eat. We humans, though, are just plain dumb.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #75
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to thank C-N-D for helping me understand the effets of my previous diet. Which consisted of alot of processed foods, high sugar and he taught me some great info about the glycemic index.

While I've fallen short of my goals of losing 40 Lbs in 60 days. I have lost 25 Lbs and feel much better than I used too. Thanks Doc.

With that said, C-N-D never told me to stop eating meat. (He was smart enough not tell me that I couldn't eat meat.) LOL He just told me that fish was the best meat to eat, follwed by chicken. Pork and beef were not off limits but moderation is the key to any diet.

Thanks Doc I appreciate it.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #76
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
****BALANCE****

Are we not omnivores??? Keep balance in your lives.. I'm not a huge veggie person but have learned or talked myself out of red meat several times a week and worked in many other healthy proteins (i.e. fish, pork, etc)...

I'm not a big fan of cooked veggies but work in a lot of raw veggies and some fruits. Unfortunately many fruits (while having healthty benefits) also contain a lot of sugar... So, be carefull!!
yeah but you're a weirdo
Old 07-08-2012   #77
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
yeah but you're a weirdo
First statement in four pages that I cannot argue with
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #78
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
yeah but you're a weirdo

True dat!!!
Old 07-08-2012   #79
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
First statement in four pages that I cannot argue with
WTH does that mean, you sumbitch????
Old 07-08-2012   #80
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
****BALANCE****

Agreed on the balance thing.

On the cooked veggies unfortunately Americans cook vegetables really poorly. No offense to the moms of our era but just throwing squash in water and boiling it to death is not cooking. Carrots boiled until you couldn't get them on a fork. Hated that stuff as a kid. But my parents taught me to be polite and so I tried other versions and what do you know, it can be cooked into something other than bland mushy muck. I never have to fight my kids to eat their vegetables and they love things like kale, collards, okra, brussel sprouts, etc. If you want to experiment just pm me some time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read