Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-20-2005   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Ricky Williams, Again

LINK

Quote:
NFL.com wire reports

DAVIE, Fla. (May 19, 2005) -- Ricky Williams is discussing a comeback with the Miami Dolphins, coach Nick Saban said.

Saban acknowledged holding recent discussions with Williams, whose sudden retirement stunned the Dolphins shortly before training camp began last season. He would not divulge specifics of the talks, but has long said he was open to the prospect of Williams returning.

Williams rushed for 3,225 yards and 25 touchdowns in his two seasons with the Dolphins.

"Ricky still seems to be very, very interested in coming back," Saban said. "As I've said before, the things that we discuss, we've decided not to talk about publicly. I think that I can safely say that you all know about his situation as I do."

Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, didn't immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

Williams, who led the NFL in rushing in 2002, still owes the Dolphins millions for breaching his contract by unexpectedly retiring.

After quitting the Dolphins, the former Heisman Trophy winner later acknowledged he failed drug tests and faced a suspension for testing positive three times for marijuana.

"There are issues that need to be worked through," Saban said. "We're all in the process of evaluating those issues before it is resolved."

If Williams returns, he likely would have to wait until July to un-retire. Otherwise, he would face a one-year suspension for his violations of the NFL's substance-abuse program. Williams will still face a four-game suspension for failing a third drug test for marijuana last July, right before he retired.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #2
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Ricky's my boy...but this **** has to end some day...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I don't have any doubts about Ricky Williams playing football again. I think it almost goes without saying that he's going to play again somewhere. I sort of dread the "Should the Texans get Ricky Williams" posts that will come once he returns to the league but then a lot of teams are going to be getting that on their message boards. Everyone who doesn't have a legitimate, proven franchise back is going to hear it from their fans on this.

I'm curious about this though. What's he going to cost now and what kind of value does a guy with this kind of baggage have? With the Dolphins just drafting Brown you know they're wanting Ricky back to move him. What they get for him will be interesting. Who he goes to will be interesting. There's talent there and tons of it. I suspect somebody's going to get it for a relative bargain.
Old 05-20-2005   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

It would be interesting to read his contract (if) or (when) he signs a new deal to see what sort of "extra curricular activities" clauses are on there.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe the only reason (other than money) Ricky is considering going back to the Dolphins is because Ricky has always been about college football and Nick Saban can bring that kind of atmosphere kinda and Saban will also make sure the offense isn't only going to be Ricky 70 out of 80 plays.

By the way my new nickname for Ricky is Harry Potter. Harry (beard) Potter (his habit).
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 270038 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like he will be playing somewhere:

Quote:
The agent for Ricky Williams said Friday the retired running back "absolutely" will report to Dolphins training camp in July.

"Ricky's made the decision he wants to play again," Leigh Steinberg said.

Asked when Williams can be expected to make a final decision about returning to the Dolphins, Steinberg said: "He has. He's expressed his desire to play this year."
Of course he has a bunch of work while he is suspended to get back into playing shape:

Quote:
The online report also said Williams weighs 195 pounds about 30 pounds lighter than he weighed in his last season with the Dolphins. Steinberg didn't dispute the player's reported weight.
Link
Old 05-21-2005   #7
Dunta_23
All Pro

I have always liked Ricky Williams.....I didnt like his decision last year to quit but maybe he did need a break....I think whatever team gets him will be getting a steal because Edge or Alexander couldnt even be traded for 2nd round picks....that was mostly because they wanted to be paid bigtime.... I don't think Ricky can expect top RB right away until he comes back and proves he still has it...If he was old Ricky and there were contract clauses I would welcome him on the Texans
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2005   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I truly think that the Dolphins want to move him, if he does come back. He is worth something to the team. But now they have their RB. So look for him to come back, game 5, with a team like the 49ers.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

If I were the Dolphins, I would do what the Saints did when they drafted the Deuce. Bring Ricky back. Give him a lot of p.t. this season. Let Brown take about 1/3 of the carries this season. After this season, find a suitor for Ricky and get a quality pick (maybe a 2nd or a conditional pick if he has a good year). Start Brown in 2006, and go about your business. Not sure this would work, but that would be my plan.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #10
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
If I were the Dolphins, I would do what the Saints did when they drafted the Deuce. Bring Ricky back. Give him a lot of p.t. this season. Let Brown take about 1/3 of the carries this season. After this season, find a suitor for Ricky and get a quality pick (maybe a 2nd or a conditional pick if he has a good year). Start Brown in 2006, and go about your business. Not sure this would work, but that would be my plan.
I like that idea and I would do that if Ricky decided to come back. But all of this stuff about Ricky coming back is getting old and I question if he is really ever going to come back.
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

so anyone know when ricky will be inducted into the Jack A** hall of fame ???
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #12
Texan Dave
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
so anyone know when ricky will be inducted into the Jack A** hall of fame ???
No, but I'm sure he'll be a first ballot pick.

Also, at 195, he'll have a verry hard time playing, 195lb rb's are a thing of the past in the NFL. And if he gets back up to his playing wieght this season, I'd have to recomend the man take a little test.
Texan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #13
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Dave
Also, at 195, he'll have a verry hard time playing, 195lb rb's are a thing of the past in the NFL. And if he gets back up to his playing wieght this season, I'd have to recomend the man take a little test.
Another steroid assumption? FANTASTIC. Not to mention the NFL already has a decent steroid policy in place.

Professional athletes know just a bit about their bodies, you know? It's extremely easy for an athlete to put on 20+ lbs in 4 months. It's not like this guy totally shrunk like Kyle Turley during his time off. He dumped 20-25 lbs. Very easy to add back.
Old 05-22-2005   #14
Texan Dave
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Another steroid assumption? FANTASTIC. Not to mention the NFL already has a decent steroid policy in place.

Professional athletes know just a bit about their bodies, you know? It's extremely easy for an athlete to put on 20+ lbs in 4 months. It's not like this guy totally shrunk like Kyle Turley during his time off. He dumped 20-25 lbs. Very easy to add back.
Dude, get real, NOBODY adds 20+ lbs of muscle in 4 months without help. It would probably blow your mind to find out the truth about professional athelets and steriods, if they want to take them, they will. Besides that, if he'd quit playing football just so he could keep smoking weed, why wouldn't he take those too?? Also, yeah, from 235 to 195, in less than one year, that is totaly shrinking, that's not 20-25 lbs, that's 40 lbs. He went from big powerback, to cornerback.
Texan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #15
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

To be honest the way he desserted that team i dont know why a single one of them wants him back. To leave the military you could do hard labor but since football is more important maybe we should do some kind of hard labor or death penalty for desserting a football team
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #16
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

I can't imagine which team would actually take him on ... hopefully our Texans can push themselves away from the table with this *****. His only motivation for returning is $$. No drive to be a good player, just to draw a paycheck. Let some other desperate team take him. DD is gonna be fine for us. Frankly I can't understand why alot of us are ready to run DD outta town. Last time I checked he totaled 1000+ yds. every year even with injuries sitting him down. I mean what RB in the league is injury-free anyhow?
Old 05-22-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Ricky Williams is a spoiled, selfish little boy in the body of a world class
athlete. He walked out on his teammates last year just like he's walked out
on the children he has fathered with multiple women.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #18
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Dave
Dude, get real, NOBODY adds 20+ lbs of muscle in 4 months without help. It would probably blow your mind to find out the truth about professional athelets and steriods, if they want to take them, they will. Besides that, if he'd quit playing football just so he could keep smoking weed, why wouldn't he take those too?? Also, yeah, from 235 to 195, in less than one year, that is totaly shrinking, that's not 20-25 lbs, that's 40 lbs. He went from big powerback, to cornerback.
A. As I've stated in other threads, its extremely easy to add 20+ lbs in 4 months. ESPECIALLY when your body has already held that weight for an extended period of time.

B. 235 lbs?? It's like you are trying to educate me on one of my favorite players. Find me one site that lists him at 235 for me, thanks.

C. "Besides that, if he'd quit playing football just so he could keep smoking weed, why wouldn't he take those too??" L-O-L!! Why stop there? I hear there are Rumors of Ricky huffing paint, while blowing snow, shooting some H up in one arm and 'roids in the bum all at the same time. Well, you know why....because all marijuana smokers do every other drug in the book...I mean, whats stopping them?
Old 05-22-2005   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

20 pounds in 4 months really isnt a lot. Break it down, 20 pounds divided by 16 weeks. It is 1.25 pounds a week. I put on 10 pounds in the past month and half and all I did was add a protien bar to my diet.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 270038 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
B. 235 lbs?? It's like you are trying to educate me on one of my favorite players. Find me one site that lists him at 235 for me, thanks.
Little hard to find since his playerpage has been taken off most sites due to his retirement. When playing, I have definitely seen him listed at 235 lbs on some sites. Here is an article from a few months after his retirement listing 235 lbs as his playing weight--there are a bunch of things like this out there.

Quote:
The 5-foot-10 Williams weighs 210 pounds, about 25 fewer than his playing weight.
Link

In any event, doesn't seem like he should have much of a problem getting back to a playing shape if he commits now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read