Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2012   #41
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pick a Texan Challenge

I will take dude who fires cannon after scores...I hope he develops carpal tunnel from firing that thing so much.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is some info on my guy Alan Ball :

“So we put Ball at safety and then Jenkins and Newman didn’t play worth a d— and I wish I would have kept Ball at corner for those guys that half a year, because they just played terrible for a while." This is Wade talking. Very interesting article as my read on Ball at Dallas was he was terrible. This explains why Phillips signed him.
http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=5555
Old 08-01-2012   #43
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

“So we put Ball at safety and then Jenkins and Newman didn’t play worth a d— and I wish I would have kept Ball at corner for those guys that half a year, because they just played terrible for a while." This is Wade talking. Very interesting article as my read on Ball at Dallas was he was terrible. This explains why Phillips signed him.
Hope that guy is right
Old 08-01-2012   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Hope that guy is right
Man, I do also. If our corners could become a strength that would be huge.
Old 08-01-2012   #45
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Can I get the hotties?

Brooks Reed aka Thor

still trying to come up with a hottie on O.
Old 08-02-2012   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not putting too much stock into Alan Ball.

I watched his first 3 games from last season and he looks like a back-up to me.

He might make the team due his versatility, having played as nickel, boundary CB, and safety; but he needs to play better than what he showed last year to be of real help, IMO.

His veteran status might also help him land on the roster, but I'm not 100% positive he makes the team.

He played high in his stance, doesn't have a real backpedal.
He didn't show great hip flexibility to be able to react and turn quickly with receivers out of their break.
I can't tell much about his deep speed because of the cirscumstances he was in.
Overall, he played like the #4 CB on a Cowboys team that have an overall poor secondary.
The 3 guys ahead of him were dealing with injury at some point (Newman, Jenkins, Scandrick) and the young guys behind him were just not good.

That's why they drafted Morris Claibonrne and brought in Brandon Carr.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #47
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1809 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take Kareem Jackson!! I don't care what anyone says, he's gonna have a great year !
Old 08-03-2012   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm not putting too much stock into Alan Ball.

I watched his first 3 games from last season and he looks like a back-up to me.

He might make the team due his versatility, having played as nickel, boundary CB, and safety; but he needs to play better than what he showed last year to be of real help, IMO.

His veteran status might also help him land on the roster, but I'm not 100% positive he makes the team.

He played high in his stance, doesn't have a real backpedal.
He didn't show great hip flexibility to be able to react and turn quickly with receivers out of their break.
I can't tell much about his deep speed because of the cirscumstances he was in.
Overall, he played like the #4 CB on a Cowboys team that have an overall poor secondary.
The 3 guys ahead of him were dealing with injury at some point (Newman, Jenkins, Scandrick) and the young guys behind him were just not good.

That's why they drafted Morris Claibonrne and brought in Brandon Carr.
My understanding from Wade Phillips is Alan played safety in Phillip's last season rather than corner. I did not watch Dallas this past season. Are you saying he played corner? I thought he was a back up and the reason they drafted Claiborne was the CB starters again played poorly. I thought Alan had little playing time at all in 2011, besides if KJ and McCain can improve under Texans DB coaching, I am hopeful Ball can.
Old 08-03-2012   #49
BrandonLwowski
Veteran

Rep Power: 53 BrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respected

I got Connor Barwin...He is my favorite player
BrandonLwowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #50
RunninRaven
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Can I get the hotties?

Brooks Reed aka Thor

still trying to come up with a hottie on O.
I thought James Casey was the one nicknamed Thor?
RunninRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #51
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7521 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post
I'll take Kareem Jackson!! I don't care what anyone says, he's gonna have a great year !
Took him already
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #52
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1809 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Took him already
Yea I went back and seen that I'll take Roc Carmichael, and Derek Newton
Old 08-03-2012   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Took him already
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post
Yea I went back and seen that I'll take Roc Carmichael, and Derek Newton
It is OK for more than one person to take a player. The OP wanted more than one set of eyes.
Old 08-03-2012   #54
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It is OK for more than one person to take a player. The OP wanted more than one set of eyes.
No biggie . Just great to see there's more than 3 posters the want kj to succeed ! I'm really pulling for him , will even buy his jersey this year
Old 08-03-2012   #55
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Ill take my boy Owen "Open" Daniels. Best tight end in the league
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #56
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Brice McCain is going to take a huge step forward this year.

On offense I'm loving the potential of Keyshawn Martin as a bigtime slot receiver.
Old 08-04-2012   #57
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take Sherrick McManis and Devier Posey.

Since they probably won't play starter's snaps in the regular season I'll also take Rashard Butler and Bradie James for the regular season.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My understanding from Wade Phillips is Alan played safety in Phillip's last season rather than corner. I did not watch Dallas this past season. Are you saying he played corner? I thought he was a back up and the reason they drafted Claiborne was the CB starters again played poorly. I thought Alan had little playing time at all in 2011, besides if KJ and McCain can improve under Texans DB coaching, I am hopeful Ball can.
Ball was a reserved at both CB and safety in 09.
He played mostly ST.

Wade moved him to safety in 2010 when the Cowboys decided not to resign Ken Hamlin (big mistake - I mentioned this last year when I looked at Wade's defense in 2010.)
Ball played poorly there, but he didn't have much experience to begin with.
2010 Starter: Alan Ball (free safety)
"Where some corners adapt well when moved to free safety (see: the Saints’ Malcolm Jenkins), Ball fared quite poorly. His -9.7 rating placed him 78th amongst the 85 safeties who played in at least 25% of their team’s snaps, and he showed virtually no ballhawking ability whatsoever (his two interceptions and one pass-defensed would represent a strong half for the Ravens’ Ed Reed). As a result, Ball is moving back to corner, where he’ll likely be battling Scandrick for playing time in the nickel and dime defenses."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...oys-secondary/

Last year, they brought in Abram Elam to play FS and moved Ball back to CB.
He was the #4 and played quite a bit (498 snaps) since Newman, Jenkins, and Scandrick all had some form of injuries.
http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/02/...wboys-defense/
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #59
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'll take Sherrick McManis and Devier Posey.

Since they probably won't play starter's snaps in the regular season I'll also take Rashard Butler and Bradie James for the regular season.
McManis has looked really good this TC. He's had a few plays where he was picked on but he's also made quite a few plays too. He's bigger than McCain as well which is a plus.
Old 08-09-2012   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Now TC has started, anyone else want to select a player to report on? Those of you who have a player, anything to report? Don't forget to search for info that the rest of us may have missed. There are several guys no one has chosen.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read