Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-03-2012   #1
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Texans’ Unsung Defender - Glover Quin

Quote:
Glover Quin is an essential piece to the Texans defense and as you can see he is asked to do multiple jobs on the football field. Quin is actually the only Texans defender that is a hybrid player. He plays safety, corner back and linebacker at any given time of the game. He is moved around throughout the game and proved to be a big reason for the Texans ability to improve defensively in 2011.

With his contract expiring after the 2012 season, Quin is increasing his value as a NFL player. With other big names coming up for paydays for the Texans, Quin should not be over-looked by the Texans front office for an extension. We know money will be tight but the Texans need to do everything in their power to bring back Quin for the coming years. Quin has steadily improved since his rookie season of 2009 and this season should not be any different.
http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=5739

Good article with lots of cool still shots of Phillips' defense.
Old 07-03-2012   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans’ Unsung Defender - Glover Quin

I'm cool with Glover Quin... THE ONLY thing that bugs me about him is that his facemask looks too small or too short for his head... If that's the worst criticism that I have, then that's pretty good, no??
Old 07-03-2012   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not disagreeing with Quin's performance but I disagree with his playing multiple roles upping his contract value in the open market. Most DC's don't multi-task players like Quin effectively.
Old 07-03-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Love Quin but don't see offering him much to remain. I expect a draft pick to replace him.
Old 07-03-2012   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I also love Quinn. But my hear finds its way closer to my tonsils when he has to cover his man going deep.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I also love Quinn. But my hear finds its way closer to my tonsils when he has to cover his man going deep.
Robert Lester 2nd round
Old 07-03-2012   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Glover Quin. He's been a solid, but not spectacular, defender. But, he's not a playmaker. All of his 3 career ints came off Rusty Smith. Who's Rusty Smith? Exactly.

Quin's not the type of player who generates a lot of free agent interest. That could change with the Texans gaining more exposure and Glover making more plays. But, being able to lineup in different spots on the field doesn't automatically make a player special. Making plays makes a player special.
Old 07-03-2012   #8
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Hasnt the safety spot traditionally been a revolving door on most of wade's defenses? I'd like to see more players on the backend who make "game changing plays".
Old 07-04-2012   #9
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe I am in the minority but for my money he's a glue player and does the unheralded jobs really well allowing the more attention grabbing positions players to shine. I would have thought there might be a little more support given this teams history with awful safeties. Finally I think this position is a keystone for smiths defense given the stress he puts on the secondary. Just my two cents. I think he merits a od type deal say 5 years 16-18 mil.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't underestimate his flexibility. I think that flexibility puts a couple of extra options in Wade's trick bag.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
I think he merits a od type deal say 5 years 16-18 mil.
I certainly wouldn't put Quin on level of Daniels, and it's not what type of contract he "merits". It's what he can get on the market. I don't see a big market for a safety that doesn't come up with turnovers. When you look at the guys the Texans must re-sign (Brown, Barwin, Schaub, and eventually Cushing), guys like Quin are going to have to settle for the scraps.
Old 07-04-2012   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

No, not Daniels like at all. I'd say he's more Joel Dressen if we want to connect that dot.
I'm for Quin though. I was also for Dequan Menzie from 'Bama in the draft because he's a Quin clone. Alright I only have one more comparison: Shane Battier.

Looking at int's alone is a poor way to judge a DB. Quin nails his responsibilities, the only receiver that beat him deep that I can remember is AJ Green. How many DBs are keeping up with him? Yeah, he single handedly destroyed Rusty Who Smith's career but I think last year he was adjusting to playing with 2 superstars in the backfield and a front 7 that was going off. He's not the best DB on the field anymore. No, he doesn't have game breaking ability but what he does have is worth keeping around. Smarts, flexibility, tackling, experience and success with the system, good work ethic, his teammates trust.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

In a non-salary cap world Quin is no brainer to keep. he does his job at basic level and flexible in the skills that he displays, but is not a playmaker. In terms of safeties, right now that position is probably the most poorly played in the NFL. there are only a few game changers, and really most teams don't have two good, solid ones. Notice that 3rd Cbs pretty much are drafted in the same areas as safeties and have as much demand on the free agent market.

Quin is a solid to good player and all it takes is for someone to go give him decent say biscuit Breisel money as a free agent for him not to be a Texan.
Old 07-04-2012   #14
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quin was second in tackles on the Texan's.

A safety being second usually means your defense sucks. On the second ranked defense it means Quin is making plays.
Old 07-04-2012   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I love Quin.

I think he's very underestimated, & his flexibility will make it difficult for offenses to read. Is he a LB, Safety, a nickel corner?

He might not be an INT generator.

I also think he'll eventually be the leader of the defense.
Old 07-04-2012   #16
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Quin nails his responsibilities, the only receiver that beat him deep that I can remember is AJ Green.
Jimmy Graham smoked Quin on a up route when Glover had him in man coverage. But, Graham had his way with a lot of DBs last year.

Old 07-04-2012   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Does Glover Quin have a nickname? He plays like a pitbull, tenacious D!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Does Glover Quin have a nickname? He plays like a pitbull, tenacious D!
"Q-tip"
Old 07-04-2012   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
"Q-tip"
so no G.Q. huh?
Old 07-04-2012   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
so no G.Q. huh?
He was given the nickname "Q-tip" by the press after the Hail Mary play.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read